GUILTY MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014 #2 *guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if she hadn't shown that she researched it would take 15 minutes to die from carbon monoxide and kept him on the phone 20 minutes it would have been a completely different outcome. It was her exact knowledge of the "tool" used and its predicted timeline.

I don't think MC should bank on an easy sentence. I just watched the whole video of him explaining his verdict and I think the Judge is disgusted by MC. I think he would have happily convicted her of murder if he had the opportunity. The reasons for not revoking bail make sense to me and don't necessarily means she is going to get an easy sentence. I hope she spends the next 6 weeks or so agonizing and worrying every day about going to prison.

I think if she hadn't shown that she researched it would take 15 minutes to die from carbon monoxide and kept him on the phone 20 minutes it would have been a completely different outcome. It was her exact knowledge of the "tool" used and its predicted timeline.

IIRC there were two ~20+ minute calls after he arrived at the k-Mart parking lot. I wonder if she hung up after the first thinking he died and then he called back and said he got out. Do we know?

Local news reporting from Massachusetts stated HBO (and others) are doing a story/movie on this.

I hope they don't out of respect for the Roy family. They need some sort of peace since the trial is over the media need to quit being self serving! imo moo

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXVII/Chapter119/Section52

'Youthful offender'', a person who is subject to an adult or juvenile sentence for having committed, while between the ages of fourteen and 18, an offense against a law of the commonwealth which, if he were an adult, would be punishable by imprisonment in the state prison, and (a) has previously been committed to the department of youth services, or (b) has committed an offense which involves the infliction or threat of serious bodily harm in violation of law, or (c) has committed a violation of paragraph (a), (c) or (d) of section ten or section ten E of chapter two hundred and sixty-nine; provided that, nothing in this clause shall allow for less than the imposition of the mandatory commitment periods provided in section fifty-eight of chapter one hundred and nineteen.

And then there are paid interviews.

Can Conrads parents file a civil law suit?

Is it allowed for a convicted criminal to do paid interviews? Here in Australia you cannot profit from crime.

That is a real good point! I never thought of that. I will always try to make that a point in any conversation and explain why. I am going to print your statement out and put in my wallet so I can explain commit and died by suicide correctly. Thanks EstrellaEspectral. I am very sorry about your friend.

Thank you for understanding! I didn't know until my friend passed, but I just knew that when I said "she committed suicide" something felt very wrong. A therapist corrected me one day and after that I've tried to correct people from then on. Unfortunately the media still does it. I hope we can change our wording around it because I know that it really does hurt the family members.

"By shifting our language around suicide, we have the power to reduce some of the massive shame carried by survivors of suicide. If you feel scared or helpless about what to say to someone who’s lost someone to suicide, take comfort in knowing that, by changing your language about suicide, you’re offering a countercultural act of kindness. It might seem small but the interpersonal and political impact is nothing but huge."

https://themighty.com/2015/07/why-you-shouldnt-say-committed-suicide/

I am very glad this woman is being held accountable.

I think what showed her coldness and indifference to him was when she demanded he get back in the truck. It was obvious he was second guessing himself. That was so heartbreaking to hear. She should have taken that opportunity to talk him out of it.

She should not have led him on and instead like anyone with compassion she would have kept trying to get him help. She asked for his family's phone numbers but never called any of them.

I think she felt tremendous power and control knowing she was the one who would see that he completed his suicide.

I don't think MC should bank on an easy sentence. I just watched the whole video of him explaining his verdict and I think the Judge is disgusted by MC. I think he would have happily convicted her of murder if he had the opportunity. The reasons for not revoking bail make sense to me and don't necessarily means she is going to get an easy sentence. I hope she spends the next 6 weeks or so agonizing and worrying every day about going to prison.

Or she might kill herself before sentencing and leave a long grandiose delusional message detailing some fantasy about being reunited with Conrad eternally. Their 'happily ever after' so to speak.......(at least in her mind).

I'm not going to lie...I like watching the video posted above with no volume and just staring at her face as it dawns on her she is guilty. I'm a bad person

I'm not going to lie...I like watching the video posted above with no volume and just staring at her face as it dawns on her she is guilty. I'm a bad person

I re-watched for different reasons and that was to listen better to what the judge was saying. I did watch the confusion on MC's and her lawyers face though. They both thought it was going to be a not guilty verdict by the way the judge first started talking. jmo

FINALLY seeing some type of emotion from her! The sad part is that it comes at her own expense. Good gosh! So sad that she has shown no remorse for encouraging him along, yes he went through with it, but come on! Where are her tears even fake ones, she might have been able to play on the judges softer side if she showed a little bit of remorse.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I really wish as a society we could change our language around suicide. To say "Commit" suicide is very offensive to family and loved ones. The correct terminology should be "died by suicide". Mental illness is not a crime. To say "commit" implies a criminal act. My best friend died by suicide about 8 years ago and when I see the word "commit" it hurts me deeply. She was in pain. She had a very serious health condition that took her life. She was not a criminal in any way.

Thank you for posting this, as I was unaware. I will do my best to remember this in the future when talking about suicide. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

I re-watched for different reasons and that was to listen better to what the judge was saying. I did watch the confusion on MC's and her lawyers face though. They both thought it was going to be a not guilty verdict by the way the judge first started talking. jmo

The transformation on her face from emotional relief to emotional terror was priceless to see.

I am worried this girl is going to harm herself while awaiting sentencing, however.

Thank you for understanding! I didn't know until my friend passed, but I just knew that when I said "she committed suicide" something felt very wrong. A therapist corrected me one day and after that I've tried to correct people from then on. Unfortunately the media still does it. I hope we can change our wording around it because I know that it really does hurt the family members.

"By shifting our language around suicide, we have the power to reduce some of the massive shame carried by survivors of suicide. If you feel scared or helpless about what to say to someone who’s lost someone to suicide, take comfort in knowing that, by changing your language about suicide, you’re offering a countercultural act of kindness. It might seem small but the interpersonal and political impact is nothing but huge."

https://themighty.com/2015/07/why-you-shouldnt-say-committed-suicide/

I'm terribly sorry about your friend!

To most people, "commit" just means, to "carry out", no ill intent implied. You can commit an act of kindness, same as a crime. I don't know anyone who thinks of suicide as a crime. imo

The transformation on her face from emotional relief to emotional terror was priceless to see.

I am worried this girl is going to harm herself while awaiting sentencing, however.

I do wonder if she "attempts" something (I absolutely do not think she would actually kill herself) in order to gain sympathy from the judge, what that does to sentencing. Does it help or hurt it?

I do wonder if she "attempts" something (I absolutely do not think she would actually kill herself) in order to gain sympathy from the judge, what that does to sentencing. Does it help or hurt it?

IMO if she does, her sentence should be carried out in full once she is mentally stable. I don't think she will get any lighter sentencing if she tries a manipulative act of self harm.

The first emotional type expression she made is shown in several articles indicating she "broke down in tears" or is crying. My initial reaction to her reaction was that she thought she was going to be innocent and started to laugh out of relief. I wonder what Eyes for Lies would take her expression to mean.

Well i called this one wrong, and happy i was!
Three cheers for a judge with some guts!

Local news reporting from Massachusetts stated HBO (and others) are doing a story/movie on this.

Her family has probably spent a fortune on legal fees so I can see the temptation for paid interviews and movie deals. Distasteful to be sure but I could see why they might try to make some money off of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbet8vip