MA MA - Phillip Markoff, Craigslist Killer

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, I'm a guy and I've had a few girlfriends (although now married for 21+ years) and I have never held on to any woman's underwear, nor have I come across anyone who claimed to have done so. If they had I would have told them that I do find it creepy. I was always somewhat partial to what was inside...

It may be common, but I've never known any guy that does it. And frankly, I would consider it deviant.

I agree that taking souveniers like that can't be too common.

Did anyone see that guy with the beret on JVM or NG? He said something about "panty raids". :floorlaugh: I was amazed that none of the panelists kept straight faces! Does anyone remember the "Happy Days" about panty raids, Ralph was running around Lori Beth's dorm with grannie pants on his head? Those are so not real, that beret boy is a weirdo!:slap:

The PD have come out to say that they want people to come forward without fear of being arrested for being prostitutes, etc.

The PD have come out to say that they want people to come forward without fear of being arrested for being prostitutes, etc.

Yes, but Daisy makes an interesting point. The woman who was killed - i would have never looked at her and said "Yep. That's a prostitute if I ever saw one!" Surely her family wasn't aware or even friends. I think if the others are alive (if there are others, we don't know for sure), they may not come forward because of 1. this guy is an idiot and left enough evidence to convict him, 2. they fear for their reputation.

Hello fellow WS'ers..I'm not really a poster, but am an avid reader..this time, I had to weigh in..after reading everything out there to read on this case, my opinion is that Markoff was a killer by accident. I don't believe he ever intended to physically harm his victims..one of them said her was very polite, and assured her that no harm would come to her if she was quiet...she was, and he kept his word..no physical harm.Another victim stated that he ran when her husband came in..if he were intent on killing his victims, or, was afraid of being identified, they would both be dead. I believe his reaction to JuLissa was his survival instinct kicking in..not survival in the literal sense, but, survival of his life as he knew it..she was threatening to take that away. I could go for the "heat of the moment" defense, if I were on the jury. I'm certainly not condoning his robbery of them, but, I do understand gambling addictions..they are as addictive as heroine and nicotine. At some point, all that matters is finding the means to play another hand..they can't see beyond that.I believe he felt that the money he was taking was ill-gotten gains via prostitution, and in his mind it was no different than ill-gotten gains from robbery..from one criminal to another.As far as his sexual perversions are concerned..I see him not much different than 95% of the rest of the human race..it may not be talked about, but, it is certainly not uncommon.

I agree that his killing Julissa was more of a fluke than anything else. I think she was the only one to fight back - tough little NY girl. I believe he was in waaaaaaaaaay over his head with the gambling and he was targeting people who were not likely to report being victims. It was probably a near-perfect plan until he killed Julissa. That was his undoing and her gift to the world!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/04/22/med_school_colleagues_shun_media/

This article mentions that many of PM's peers at BU were so busy with their exams that they did not notice all the commotion about PM. I wonder if that means that maybe more people will come forward with information about PM now that their exams are done.

But this part worried me because it made me wonder if people that knew PM with any information that could help LE would be reluctant to step forward because they wouldn't want to have their name connected with the case.
One student who said he was in a master's program at the school explained the reluctance that seemed to be shared by many. "Medical school is very competitive; I don't want my name out there," he said, adding that he was shocked about the news.

The article also includes an email that a school official sent to BU students asking them not to include anything about PM on their websites or talk to the media. The university is understandably concerned about having the institution's name being dragged through the mud with PM... the email didn't mention anything about talking to LE, but I was surprised that they didn't say anything encouraging students to talk to LE about anything they might know.

'Craigslist Killer' Philip Markoff: a gambling addict?

BILL: All of us feel the occasional adrenaline rush - a child is born, we get a raise, hit a home run, etc. Pleasurable, sure. But I’d never kill to feel that rush.

DR. DAVE: Are you talking about the police theory that the "Craigslist Killer," Philip Markoff, killed a woman in Boston to finance his gambling?

BILL: I asked Dr. Suzanne Graupner Pike, head of the San Diego Center for Pathological Gambling and qualified expert in the California and Federal court systems, how Markoff's gambling habit might have contributed to his problems. What is there about gambling that Markoff would literally murder to continue doing it?

“Gambling is called the ’hidden addiction,’" Dr. Pike told me, “because there are no visible symptoms, no slurring or blood alcohol level changes. For ‘action gamblers’ like Markoff, it’s not about the money but the way you feel - the rush of adrenaline in response to a possible win. Dopamine - a pleasure-producing neurotransmitter - is released in the brain. Recent MRI studies show that gambling has a detrimental impact on the brain’s reward system.”

Does anyone think it's strange that PM, supposedly bright enough to become an MD, did not understand how technology could find him? There were cameras at the hotels, his Blackberry was traced, his DNA was on the walls. Then, too, after the killing he kept the gun.

Does anyone think it's strange that PM, supposedly bright enough to become an MD, did not understand how technology could find him? There were cameras at the hotels, his Blackberry was traced, his DNA was on the walls. Then, too, after the killing he kept the gun.

A blinding case of ego. Couldn't see what was coming for being so full of his "power." Moron.

The article also includes an email that a school official sent to BU students asking them not to include anything about PM on their websites or talk to the media. The university is understandably concerned about having the institution's name being dragged through the mud with PM... the email didn't mention anything about talking to LE, but I was surprised that they didn't say anything encouraging students to talk to LE about anything they might know.

That is an unfortunate omission.

Craigslist killer P.M. to face charges in Rhode Island.

Rhode Island prosecutors said today that they will announce an arrest warrant in the attempted robbery of a stripper inside a hotel last month.
Link to article:http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_12289375

From the article: "A law enforcement official speaking on condition of anonymity tells The Associated Press that investigators found Markoff's fingerprint in the hotel. They also believe he sent text messages from there."

I wonder if the victim went to law enforcement or if they found her? The article doesn't say.

The 16 pair of underwear he had in his possession are a sign of a much larger issue. The trophies were not for sexual exploitations. They represent the fear, power, and control he held over those women. It is not normal. This was definitely a red flag. (We saw this before in the Reno case of Brianna Dennison.)

I do think the women who had contact with this in the past are afraid to come forward not only because of being embarrased, but because the crush of the media in this case is daunting. We do not know that he hasn't killed before either.

I agree with Kaylynn. This had no intention of stopping until he was caught which in his mind was not going to happen. He thought he was smarter than LE because he had gotten away with it so many times with no consequences.

Accused Craigslist Killer Philip Markoff was hit with new charges Monday of trying to rob a Rhode Island stripper just two days aftercops say he murdered a Manhattan masseuse.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/200...off_charged_with_assault_of_stripper_in_.html

Thank God this piece of crap was caught. It looks like after Julissa's murder he had no intent to stop all of this.

You would think IF Julissa was his first murder, he would still be in shock, scared, sick, two days after he murdered her. Because he wasn't, it makes me suspect he's murdered before. JMO

You would think IF Julissa was his first murder, he would still be in shock, scared, sick, two days after he murdered her. Because he wasn't, it makes me suspect he's murdered before. JMO

I totally agree..especially if Julissa's murder wasn't planned (it was a botched robbery attempt type thing) then I would think he would still have been in a great deal of shock. The fact that he went and then attempted to (or did) rob another woman makes me absolutely sick. I definitely don't think this was his first offense.

Craigslist suspect skips brief Boston hearing

The former Boston University medical student accused of killing a 25-year-old masseuse he met through Craigslist skipped a brief procedural court hearing today.

P. Markoff was not required to attend the session in Boston Municipal Court. His lawyer, J. Salsberg, called the hearing "a non-event," and said Markoff decided not to attend because nothing substantive is expected to happen in the case until Markoff is indicted.

More at link http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_12418923

If this needs to be moved or deleted feel free to.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back