MA MA - Phillip Markoff, Craigslist Killer

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
...pretty shocking news! Such a sad, sick story, all around. He was highly intelligent and I'm sure he was aware of all the evidence against him- and that he'd be locked up for a long, long time. I'm sure all his life he was congratulated and praised on his high scholastic achievement; he was used to being the golden boy. What secrets he had and why he did what he did will go to the grave with him- obviously, he couldn't endure being placed in a courtroom and having his true self revealed for the monster he was. As an advanced medical student, I'm sure he knew EXACTLY how to kill himself. In a way, I'm sure some people are glad they won't have to relive their experiences w/him in court for all the world to see, but it is sad that the victims' families and the living victim won't be able to experience the catharsis of a trial- if that's what it would be; I wouldn't know. He was, indeed, a sneak and a coward to the end. Scary to think how sick some people are in our society, esp. those who [had] such a bright future.
Anticlimatic, to say the least..:twocents:

Ive been thinking about this and Im not sure I could call him a coward...

Scott Peterson well yes, definitely a coward. He valued is ole smarmy self way too much to harm one hair on his self precious head. He is still sucking in air while Laci and the baby.......

on the other hand, Markoff couldnt face something. I guess we'll never know if what he couldnt face was when he looked back at what he caused to happen or when he looked at what lay ahead of him.

If a man had caught him in the act of murdering that girl and shot him, that man would have been called a "hero".

As it turns out, a man did kill him after all. The fact that it was he himself that "pulled the trigger" (metephorically speaking) doesnt mean it wasnt the best outcome for everyone all the way around.

...pretty shocking news! Such a sad, sick story, all around. He was highly intelligent and I'm sure he was aware of all the evidence against him- and that he'd be locked up for a long, long time. I'm sure all his life he was congratulated and praised on his high scholastic achievement; he was used to being the golden boy. What secrets he had and why he did what he did will go to the grave with him- obviously, he couldn't endure being placed in a courtroom and having his true self revealed for the monster he was. As an advanced medical student, I'm sure he knew EXACTLY how to kill himself. In a way, I'm sure some people are glad they won't have to relive their experiences w/him in court for all the world to see, but it is sad that the victims' families and the living victim won't be able to experience the catharsis of a trial- if that's what it would be; I wouldn't know. He was, indeed, a sneak and a coward to the end. Scary to think how sick some people are in our society, esp. those who [had] such a bright future.
Anticlimatic, to say the least..:twocents:

BBM

I'm not so sure they aren't glad about this. I think what victims really care about is the outcome of a trial. He gave them the best possible outcome. JMO

He seemed to have it all; Good Looks, a pretty Fiancee, an upcoming lavish wedding on the beach, a good family, lots of friends, academic achiements,
went to one of the best schools in the nation etc.

Where did he all of a sudden go wrong?

I mean he didn't just wake up one day deciding he was going to kill/rob people

Was there anything in his childhood that maybe sent him down that path?

I'll be looking forward to the 48 Hours Mystery about this one.
and hopefully Dateline & 20/20 will cover this too.

BBM

I'm not so sure they aren't glad about this. I think what victims really care about is the outcome of a trial. He gave them the best possible outcome. JMO

Well, here's our answer:

Family of victim reacts to Markoff suicide

Boston.com

"The long-awaited criminal prosecution was their only opportunity to confront him, and now he has taken that away as well," Djuna Perkins, the family's lawyer, wrote in an e-mail. "

Well, here's our answer:

Family of victim reacts to Markoff suicide

Boston.com

"The long-awaited criminal prosecution was their only opportunity to confront him, and now he has taken that away as well," Djuna Perkins, the family's lawyer, wrote in an e-mail. "

Ya know I was going to comment on that, but felt I didn't have a right to. Praise God I know nothing of sexual assault and murder. However, I know about the sexual assault part.

People believe that we'll jump for joy when the perp is dead. Some utter "Thank goodness it is over now". It is never, ever over. You can become a survivor, but it still stays with you. The fact the creepy freak that assaults you is dead is bittersweet especially if you never got to confront him.

Again this guy took something from them. Took from the victims and their families.My prayers are with those poor people.

Not too defend the guy, but he was only accussed of the crimes, not convicted. Saying "good for him" is pretty cold blooded. Who knows, maybe he was innoncent and couldn't handle the pressure of being accused?

Do they really give people behind bars plastic bags - especially to those who have threatened suicide before?

I feel very sad for all the families involved. I can not even imagine what this has done to them. His mom and dad have lost their son, and now the victims family have not only lost their loved one, but they have also lost the chance of confronting him and seeking justice for what he had been accused. I think his way out of this makes everything harder (emotionally) for everyone IMO.

Do they really give people behind bars plastic bags - especially to those who have threatened suicide before?

I feel very sad for all the families involved. I can not even imagine what this has done to them. His mom and dad have lost their son, and now the victims family have not only lost their loved one, but they have also lost the chance of confronting him and seeking justice for what he had been accused. I think his way out of this makes everything harder (emotionally) for everyone IMO.

Let me just put it that way-now no one has to worry about him ever getting out for whatever reason.

Very good point Rossva.

I find it interesting that on a lot of threads he was being villified heavily for his crimes.

Then he died (by his own hand) and now that fact elicits sympathy and sadness.

The flipping of that switch in peoples thinking is to quote Alice,
curioser and curioser" to me.

glitering_sign.gif
Arianna

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members