MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes ch-_13….. have to agree. And IIUC, didn’t one of the prosecution’s recent witnesses also just say something to the effect that their theory now is that it was a glancing or tangential blow to the victim? IIRC a sideswipe strike is some of the wording used? If so, that IMO serves to further lessen the likelihood of such a strike having caused the alleged vehicle taillight and other supposed damage and propelling an individual the believed distance? This IMO would also complicate the physics calculations and analysis of this supposed event. MOO

Attached June 14, 2024 Boston Herald article by Flint McColgan entitled ‘Karen Read murder trial Day 25: Victim hit in ‘sideswipe’ and how long to die in cold key testimony’…. (May be paywall article?):

how does he get a gash on the back of his head?

how does he get a gash on the back of his head?
Trooper Paul said he hit his head on the curb ....somehow in his acrobatic counter clock wise movement and flying through the air 30 feet

ETA: while his arm was getting chewed up by the taillight and meanwhile we have small puncture marks in the sweatshirt

I don't see any blind rage in any of her texts. She had her own home so it's not like she had nowhere to go. I think she stayed and tried to resolve the issues they were having. And I think she didn't want to leave the kids. He seemed to be a regular in the bars, and not shy to drink heavily. I wonder how that behavior impacted the kids.

wonder why she randomly sent that text to JO lying about being home??(at her house)
If as you say she was being responsible and being the bigger person.

Just one more lie within the plethora of all roads lead to KR. imo.

I didn't say that either she was being responsible or the bigger person. That is false.
I interpreted your post as she was being those things.
Like not wanting to leave the kids alone etc which to me is those things.
Apologies those are my words not yours.

moo

I interpreted your post as she was being those things.
Like not wanting to leave the kids alone etc which to me is those things.
Apologies those are my words not yours.

moo
It is my understanding that she spent a significant amount of time with the kids. I think she had feelings for them, and was standing in as a mother figure. That is a really difficult situation, for both her and John. And it is not an easy thing to make that work. They seemed affectionate with one another in the videos, and perhaps should have sought counseling, and not so much drinking. Such a tragic and difficult place they found themselves in, and probably they tried to get some relief through drinking, which could only make it worse.imo

Those two upper arm marks under the bicep are definitely scratches, It bothered me that she said could be bites or scratches, I have large dogs and those are scratches. The marks around the elbow are bite marks.

I agree, that is how I interpreted the marks and I suspect that Dr Russell had trouble seeing what she was pointing at on the court screen.

The middle wound by the elbow looks to me as if it has punctures top and bottom and the skin would have been pinched in between (marked in blue for reference)

The scratches left and right look very much like claw marks. I foster large dogs and I'm often sporting claw marks like those shown (fortunately no teeth marks as yet)

arm1a.jpg

Last edited:
For those that were watching Friday's proceedings, we saw a lot of the ceiling fan and muted mics while various members of the Jury were spoken to. I came across this explanation:

Last Friday, one of the jurors in the Karen Read trial was dismissed from serving on the jury. This juror was inadvertently caught on camera as she made her way to the bench to speak with Judge Cannone.
It was obvious there was an issue prior to getting caught on camera, otherwise, why would she have been heading to the bench to begin with.
Sources tell me that this juror was "badmouthing" Karen to other jurors in the jury room. Some of the things being said included Karen always turning around talking to her parents as well as Karen smiling and making faces. Sources tell me one juror had enough and spoke up and allegedly other jurors were questioned and said "she needs to go." (from this source)

For those that were watching Friday's proceedings, we saw a lot of the ceiling fan and muted mics while various members of the Jury were spoken to. I came across this explanation:

Last Friday, one of the jurors in the Karen Read trial was dismissed from serving on the jury. This juror was inadvertently caught on camera as she made her way to the bench to speak with Judge Cannone.
It was obvious there was an issue prior to getting caught on camera, otherwise, why would she have been heading to the bench to begin with.
Sources tell me that this juror was "badmouthing" Karen to other jurors in the jury room. Some of the things being said included Karen always turning around talking to her parents as well as Karen smiling and making faces. Sources tell me one juror had enough and spoke up and allegedly other jurors were questioned and said "she needs to go." (from this source)
Of everything I’ve seen thus far, KR’s demeanor has been the ONLY thing that’s bothered me. I wish she would act more…. I’m not sure what word to use. Dignified? Serious? It’s nowhere near enough to convict her IMO, but she doesn’t come across as particularly likable, and that matters.

That said, if the above is true, that juror needed to go for sure. They’re directly told not to discuss matters amongst each other. They can’t go around just blatantly ignoring that directive.

i am so annoyed with the judge questioning the validity of Dr Russell's qualifications and motive. if Dr. Russell was a man she wouldn’t be getting this scrutiny about her qualifications and motive. her resume is extraordinary. what was different about her from the other two experts was her gender.

I agree that Dr Russell has the qualifications to be a key witness, but I respectfully disagree that Judge Cannone questioned her validity due to the Dr's gender.
My interpretation of her remarks was that there was question about whether she had either volunteered her expertise or that she was brought in specifically by the defence. She also had not submitted a report on her findings and as such it was not clear to both sides exactly what she would be speaking about. Thirdly she had missed some of the information that was submitted to her in a drop box in regards to DNA testing of the dog.

It sounded to me like Alan Jackson hadn't clearly communicated the scope of what was required to Dr Russell, and as such she went in to court poorly prepared.
I think it's quite unfortunate that the Jury (and all of us) may not be allowed to hear the Doctor's findings.

Of everything I’ve seen thus far, KR’s demeanor has been the ONLY thing that’s bothered me. I wish she would act more…. I’m not sure what word to use. Dignified? Serious? It’s nowhere near enough to convict her IMO, but she doesn’t come across as particularly likable, and that matters.

That said, if the above is true, that juror needed to go for sure. They’re directly told not to discuss matters amongst each other. They can’t go around just blatantly ignoring that directive.
I disagree.
There wasn't a whole pile to like in CW presentation, was there?

I think she'd look ridiculous had she chosen to pretend it was all A ok, it simply has not been.

The woman has gone through hell and lost so much.

BTW I neither like nor dislike her.

I did witness a huge moment of compassion yesterday when she leapt up as Dr Russel was struggling a little to walk from court and needed help or at least acknowledgement. She pointed it out to Jackson who immediately acknowledged the doctor and Karen sat down again.

Her instinct was to help, it was unmistakably honest and sincere. She stood to lose by it but she didn't consider herself at all.

What matters to me is the evidence and in this case against her, there is NOTHING. She's a human being and she has feelings, I'm not really sure how you want her to act. JMO.

I did witness a huge moment of compassion yesterday when she leapt up as Dr Russel was struggling a little to walk from court and needed help or at least acknowledgement. She pointed it out to Jackson who immediately acknowledged the doctor and Karen sat down again.

Her instinct was to help, it was unmistakably honest and sincere. She stood to lose by it but she didn't consider herself at all.
And this was not in front of the jury, so not like she was trying to look good.

So I am really struggling with this.

How did this case come to trial? I have no idea if those are dog bites, but it seems like it will be at least reasonable doubt all day if the experts testify as expected.

How was any of this supposed to work?

IMO

So I am really struggling with this.

How did this case come to trial? I have no idea if those are dog bites, but it seems like it will be at least reasonable doubt all day if the experts testify as expected.

How was any of this supposed to work?

IMO
This is the question that keeps going around my head. I've read many cold cases where they have a considerable amount of evidence, especially compared to this case, and yet have not taken it to trial as it's deemed not enough and too risky.

We have, at best, a "throw mud and see what sticks" theory on what happened to JO from the prosecution. A very limited initial investigation that did not explore the house that JO was found outside of. With people close by destroying phones, not providing camera footage and the whole "butt dial" gate. Mixed in with poor conduct from the police with below parr standard of collecting and protecting evidence. I could go on...

Why has this been taken to trial? What are the motives here? Who benefits? Certainly not JO's loved ones. JMO.

she woud be x-examed about her drinking that night and will be asked all kinds of Qs about the relationship IMO. could make her look unsympathetic. IMO.
And about the texts I hope you effin die’ or something to that effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member