MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a LOT of videos of military and police training of dogs. Mostly these are Belgian Malinois/German Shepherds. They are trained to go for the arm when their trainer is attacked.

And if he was right-handed, John would have instinctively raised his right arm to his face, which explains the pattern of wounds up and down his lower and upper arm. Not dancing, magical taillight pieces that his arm was incapable of shattering in the first place.

The entire area was obv not smashed out at that time Kerri saw this, she had mentioned small hole, piece sticking out that concerned her someone could get hurt on that sticking out. Also, that the rest of the tail light was covered with snow. NO idea why she didn't bother to wipe it all off, just in a frenzy and hurrying into JO's with KR I believe that time was.
Honestly for me, I couldn’t tell. I guess when the jury has the actual photos to examine they will decide if it was or wasn’t intact when she went out at 5am or so.

Would a smashed out taillight with jagged pieces have made those small puncture marks on the sleeve of his sweatshirt? I don't think so but JMO.

No, but it's possible that the CW will be able to find an 'expert' to give evidence suggesting that Lexus have been equipping their automobile tail lights with german shepards.

It is crazy to me that the CW (prosecution) are requesting a denial of expert witnesses that a defense has. Defense teams almost always are allowed expert witnesses.

The judge is walking a very fine line to me showing so much bias. It is very obvious that IF the jury found KR guilty (very, very unlikely IMVHO), there would be SO much here that would allow for a retrial on appeal - including IF she disallows testimony that directly refutes the prosecutions case with verifiable EXPERT witnesses. The prosecution misconduct is higher than I have ever believed possible. Typically it is the defense that plays dirty to get their client off.

Usually judges err on the side of giving a little to the defense to prevent an overturn of a verdict on appeal IMO. She knows that this case has a national audience and she still doesn't seem to care at all about her bias!! By golly, she is in charge and she is going to make the decisions - right or wrong.

@JHall7news

Judge Cannone asks questions of Russell before excusing her. She says she won't have a decision on whether Russell can testify until Thursday. She expressed doubt Russell render an opinion on O'Keefe's injuries not caused by a car strike.

10:51 AM · Jun 18, 2024
Probably already been said before….. by not sure why a defense expert could not render an opinion that JOK injuries were not caused by a car strike?

Didn’t one of the CW medical experts or examiner write a report on the undetermined cause of death in this case………. - but added that it wasn’t caused by a fight (or words to that effect)?

If that is ultimately the ruling, I guess put one more thing in the appelate column IMO. IANAL. MOO

It is crazy to me that the CW (prosecution) are requesting a denial of expert witnesses that a defense has. Defense teams almost always are allowed expert witnesses.
True, but any witnesses and evidence to be presented is supposed to be made clear to all parties prior to the trial commencing.
I believe the issue with Dr Russell in particular is about how she came to become involved in the case. Did she offer her services or was she brought in late by the defence.

The other two witnesses came in independently of both the Prosecution and the Defence, having been contracted by a third party (the FBI) and as such it's unlikely that the judge will find issue with them.

The judge is walking a very fine line to me showing so much bias. It is very obvious that IF the jury found KR guilty (very, very unlikely IMVHO), there would be SO much here that would allow for a retrial on appeal

The crazy thing to me is that this trial wasn't thrown out early on or put on hold once the FBI became involved.

It's an incredible waste of money, time and resources.

The crazy thing to me is that this trial wasn't thrown out early on or put on hold once the FBI became involved.

Totally. Both sides asked for a continuance and this petulant judge refused.

This is on her. Although I'm not convinced she didn't get pressure from DA Morrissey, who needs to be primaried next time for sure, she still has the final say.

I

I think this is a very unique case with this particular situation. I do wonder IF the jury were to find her guilty, could the FBI help to overturn the conviction based upon their findings? Especially since their expert today basically said that they determined his manner of death, but he wouldn't comment on that?

I

I think this is a very unique case with this particular situation. I do wonder IF the jury were to find her guilty, could the FBI help to overturn the conviction based upon their findings? Especially since their expert today basically said that they determined his manner of death, but he wouldn't comment on that?
The FBI cannot overturn convictions. That is simply not a power that the FBI has.

The FBI went as far as they felt they could providing phone info, geofence data and experts. It's thanks to them the defense even has the texts from <modsnip - derogatory named changes are not allowed> Proctor and geofence data showing Jen McCabe visiting off duty officers connected with the case.

Aside from this, they cannot involve themselves in a state case. Whatever they are working on may be at an end or there may be arrests down the road. But I don't think we can expect anything more directly on this case from the FBI, regardless of the outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t believe no one had good home security videos in that immediate area. I know ring is motion activated but you can buy a Google nest cam (or similar) that records 24/7. Idk I would think cops of all people would want home security to be a top priority, no matter how safe or sleepy they deem their town/city to be.

I’m so tired of the guessing games. IMO a simple video would show if he was hit by a car, even during a blizzard. Or it would show whatever else happened. This was 2022, not 1992. I’m just frustrated.
Brian Albert had a camera system that wasn't hooked up all the way yet. The neighbors across the street (a Canton police officer) reviewed his footage and said there was "nothing of evidentiary value" and deleted his videos

@KristinaRex

NEW: Karen Read says she wants to tell her story — but is leaving it up to her lawyers to decide if she will testify. Here’s what she said outside court today.

Don't do it Karen! Your 5th Amendment rights are more valuable than anything you can say in that witness stand.

If the O'Keefes sue you in civil court for John's wrongful death, THAT would be the time to testify under oath.

ETA: JMO

Don't do it Karen! Your 5th Amendment rights are more valuable than anything you can say in that witness stand.

If the O'Keefes sue you in civil court for John's wrongful death, THAT would be the time to testify under oath.

I suspect that this is a bit of gamesmanship. Say that you might testify so the commonwealth has to waste time prepping for it, even if you have no intention of ever doing so.

I've seen a LOT of videos of military and police training of dogs. Mostly these are Belgian Malinois/German Shepherds. They are trained to go for the arm when their trainer is attacked.
My family trained guide dogs for the blind as I was growing up. Every year the centre held a family day with police officers and their dogs, showing exactly how they go for the arm.

Was Chloe just a pet?

My family trained guide dogs for the blind as I was growing up. Every year the centre held a family day with police officers and their dogs, showing exactly how they go for the arm.

Was Chloe just a pet?
She was a former police dog and unfriendly.

It's mentioned about halfway down this live feed here, but someone else probably has a better source.

I suspect that this is a bit of gamesmanship. Say that you might testify so the commonwealth has to waste time prepping for it, even if you have no intention of ever doing so.
She's playing to the public and her supporters (who donate a LOT of money to her legal fees). Karen wants to tell her story but defers to her lawyers. It's ultimately up to her and if she wants to tell the story then get on up there and tell it. No one is stopping her.

@JHall7news

Dr Russell says it is her opinion that the injuries found on O'Keefe's arm are consistent with an animal attack. When asked if she can narrow that down to a dog attack, she says injuries are consistent with a large dog attack.

Dr Russell says she noted puncture wounds to victim's shirt. Cannone asks - puncture wounds to a shirt? Russell says puncture holes to the shirt.

10:12 AM · Jun 18, 2024
I wish we could see how those puncture holes line up to the wounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelliWard