VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not shocked by the hung jury, and don't feel it is anyone's fault on the jury.

I feel that way by simply looking at our discussions here. While I and others see the trial as having PROVED that KR couldn't have hit JOK and therefore was innocent of the charges, I have to recognize and accept that others in this forum are fully persuaded that she did hit and kill him, with no softness in their opinions.

We can't agree, despite hashing it out and speaking our minds. It stands to reason that they might have a similar mix as our forum, and no path to bridging the gap, just like here.

I like the last set of instructions, which forces each juror to examine their own view for reasonableness rather than simply digging in their heels, essentially saying to both sides: 'If so many are seeing this different than you, is it possible you aren't being objectively reasonable, and might need to consider the way they see things as being better?'

But at this point, I suspect this trial is about to be done without a verdict, and given the wide split in how different people have been seeing the evidence, maybe that's a good reflection on what the evidence said.

ETA - As for what happens after a mistrial due to a hung jury, the state is the one who decides what happens from here. They can take it to trial again, because they did not get a decision by this group. But they have a limited window to do that in most states, and if they don't, the judge can dismiss with prejudice. And if the FBI comes in and says they have investigated (which clearly they have been doing), and starts arresting cops and city officials for corruption, that changes the whole dynamics. There's plenty of drama ahead, if this jury can't reach a verdict.

Last edited:
I believe they know. You are right, it's my opinion. But also, Yannetti was not making arguments for her innocence when she was first charged. He said it was an innocent accident and questioned how stiff the charges were. I'm reasonably certain that at least he knows.
Hm yes I recall the media reporting that there was footage of KR hitting JO.

Perhaps that influenced Yannetti at the time.

Of course, it turned out the footage never existed.

Imagine that!

I believe they know. You are right, it's my opinion. But also, Yannetti was not making arguments for her innocence when she was first charged. He said it was an innocent accident and questioned how stiff the charges were. I'm reasonably certain that at least he knows.
Seriously I feel like if Karen came right out and said I did it, I hit him. People would think she’s lying cause the experts said so. Totally agree with your view but I would say she’s guilty of the lesser charges.

For anyone that missed it or isn't following the live feed, I transcribed the jury's note.

Judge Cannone, despite our commitment to the duty entrusted to us, we find ourselves deeply divided by fundamental differences in our opinions and state of mind.

The divergence in our views are not rooted in a lack of understanding or effort, but deeply held convictions that each of us carry, ultimately leading to a point where consensus is unobtainable.

We recognise the weight of this admission, and the implications it holds.

Seriously I feel like if Karen came right out and said I did it, I hit him. People would think she’s lying cause the experts said so. Totally agree with your view but I would say she’s guilty of the lesser charges.

Seriously, I feel like if FBI biomechanical experts came right out and said he wasn't hit by a car (they did), people would think they're lying because they're experts NOT hired by the defense.

Hm yes I recall the media reporting that there was footage of KR hitting JO.

Perhaps that influenced Yannetti at the time.

Of course, it turned out the footage never existed.

Imagine that!
Yes, as we know, cops are allowed to lie to suspects. I don't really care for that, though. I was watching something the other day about how they have stopped allowing cops to lie to suspects in the UK. I think that needs to happen here.

I would think Yannetti would talk to his client before making a statement for them. But, perhaps my expectations are too high.

This has been such an excellent defense and I would not want to have the responsibility of convicting KR if she is not guilty, nor would I want to acquit her if she's indeed guilty.
It's a big decision for this jury to have to make for either side - because of the thorough defense she had. It's amazing what her defense dug up on these so-called law enforcement employees. With a hung jury, it won't be their responsibility for the decision any longer. With the FBI involvement (which the jury supposedly doesn't know about), I can't imagine any new trial being remotely similar to this one. MOO.
It would be exactly the same as this one unless they move it out of State, which is probably what they should have done to begin with.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for a meaningful FBI outcome either tho. Higgins is in there, remember.

• 11:10 a.m.: The jurors file out. No smiles. One woman seems to be slightly emotional. The foreman looked solemn and has loosened his necktie since he arrived two hours ago.
  • 11:03 a.m.: Reminder: After the judge reads the Tuey-Rodriguez instruction, if the jury comes back AGAIN and is still deadlocked, she must declare a hung jury and dismiss them.
  • 11:02 a.m.: The judge has returned to her chamber. The O'Keefe family arrives. Court officer calls for the jury to be brought in. She reads Tuey-Rodriguez instruction.
  • 10:51 a.m.: Judge says she will give Tuey-Rodriguez instruction. The instructions tell the jurors they are the best hope for reaching a verdict and encourage them to look at the arguments from the other side.
  • 10:50 a.m.: Judge asks Lally whether to argue whether he believes jury has done due and diligent deliberations. (Sounds as if the jury is still deadlocked.)
  • 10:42 a.m.: Court clerk says the jury has a question.
  • 9:07 a.m.: Reminder: The jury has no access to transcripts of witnesses' testimony. They must rely on their memories and personal notes. If jurors disagree about what a witness said, there's no way to check.
  • 9:05 a.m.: The court officers wheel the evidence boxes and bags through the hall. We can't actually see the deliberations room door. It's in a part of the courthouse off limits to the public.
  • 9:03 a.m.: For what it's worth, several jurors seem to be dressed in black, and for the first time, the foreman was wearing a tie.
  • 9:01 a.m.: The judge asks her standard questions and sends the jury back into deliberations.
  • 8:59 a.m.: The jury enters. The judge is on the bench.
  • 8:57 a.m.: We've reassembled in the courtroom with the lawyers and families. Waiting on the jury and the judge.

Updated: 11:49 AM EDT Jul 1, 2024

I tend to think that KR had very limited memory of what actually happened, and perhaps she did her best to put two and two together upon discovering the body.
We also don't know what was said to her by Jen McCabe in their telephone conversation, or on the journey back to 34 Fairview Road.

Regardless, drunken memories should not be used as evidence in a murder trial.

I can't remember much of what happened last night, and I wasn't even drunk :oops:

Last edited:
Seriously, I feel like if FBI biomechanical experts came right out and said he wasn't hit by a car (they did), people would think they're lying because they're experts NOT hired by the defense.
I don’t feel he’s lying by what he presented but it could have happened other ways. Tail lights at the scene and in his clothes tells me it happened, we just don’t know exactly how. We’ve been around on this…..

Reactions: IDK
It’s a polarizing case, I don’t blame the jurors for not changing, I’m NG myself but I could see how some would see it as G, judge is just holding these jurors hostage at this point

I don’t think they re-try this case
It would be a really bad idea to retry this case. And if they did defense is going to bring in the FBI.

At what point would it be announced that they
  • 11:10 a.m.: The jurors file out. No smiles. One woman seems to be slightly emotional. The foreman looked solemn and has loosened his necktie since he arrived two hours ago.
  • 11:03 a.m.: Reminder: After the judge reads the Tuey-Rodriguez instruction, if the jury comes back AGAIN and is still deadlocked, she must declare a hung jury and dismiss them.
  • 11:02 a.m.: The judge has returned to her chamber. The O'Keefe family arrives. Court officer calls for the jury to be brought in. She reads Tuey-Rodriguez instruction.
  • 10:51 a.m.: Judge says she will give Tuey-Rodriguez instruction. The instructions tell the jurors they are the best hope for reaching a verdict and encourage them to look at the arguments from the other side.
  • 10:50 a.m.: Judge asks Lally whether to argue whether he believes jury has done due and diligent deliberations. (Sounds as if the jury is still deadlocked.)
  • 10:42 a.m.: Court clerk says the jury has a question.
  • 9:07 a.m.: Reminder: The jury has no access to transcripts of witnesses' testimony. They must rely on their memories and personal notes. If jurors disagree about what a witness said, there's no way to check.
  • 9:05 a.m.: The court officers wheel the evidence boxes and bags through the hall. We can't actually see the deliberations room door. It's in a part of the courthouse off limits to the public.
  • 9:03 a.m.: For what it's worth, several jurors seem to be dressed in black, and for the first time, the foreman was wearing a tie.
  • 9:01 a.m.: The judge asks her standard questions and sends the jury back into deliberations.
  • 8:59 a.m.: The jury enters. The judge is on the bench.
  • 8:57 a.m.: We've reassembled in the courtroom with the lawyers and families. Waiting on the jury and the judge.

Updated: 11:49 AM EDT Jul 1, 2024

BBM above. That seems so WRONG, for either side! Look at how frequently we here have to refer back to websites, other posts, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1