VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I called it IIRC at 13 hours deliberation that there is a hung jury. A hung jury is not good for either side, no matter how the defense and prosecution would spin it. I wonder if the jury is still hung and the judge calls it, if the prosecution would retry the case.
a hung jury may not be good, but it is better for the defense than a guilty

This unaminous ruling has to change. It should be a 75% majority, except in cases where the defendant is facing a possible charge of execution.
I firmly believe that even when there is a long-time deliberation and finally there is a verdict and jurors are polled asking them if they agree with the verdict, I think the one or more jurors that did not agree with the majority really don't agree with the verdict but go along with it just so they can get done with it.

forgive me if this is a silly question (i’m not from the US and my country doesn’t even have juries in court!), but what will be the options if there’s a hung jury? either retrial or the case is simply… dismissed without a verdict? or are there other things that could happen?

They can retry. It's up to the Commonwealth.

a hung jury may not be good, but it is better for the defense than a guilty
True. But I think Karen Read would really not be pleased with a hung jury, because then there will always be a question mark above her head. It doesn't clear her that she could have possibly done the unthinkable. And really a NG verdict doesn't mean a person is innocent, it just means there was enough reasonable doubt to say that a person is 100% guilty.

Imagine if it was one (or two or three) juror using their reason after considering the actual evidence holding out against the rest. I don't see them budging but probably same in opposite direction of one juror (or a few) holding out after reaching their decision through processes unrelated to rational reasoning, Jmo

I know for a fact that there are countries where if deliberations go on for a long time, the jury can ask to deliver a non-unanimous verdict, as long as there is only 1 dissenter. However, the USA is not one of those countries.

The Supreme Court relatively recently ruled that non-unanimous guilty verdicts are always unconstitutional, no exceptions.

This is why having not guilty tabs on all charges on the jury form is important.
If the jury deadlocks on a specific lesser charge, they can still acquit on the other charges. Without those 'not guilty' options, the CW could retry on all lesser charges, even if the jury had unanimous voted not guilty on some of them.
Say the jury is only deadlocked on the involuntary manslaughter charge but voted to acquit on vehicular manslaughter. Without a jury form that shows they specifically deadlocked on that; the CW could recharge vehicular manslaughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member