MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Simples.
Ask a question.
What was the jury foreman's role here?
Also, how did they get past the medical expert testimony that showed his body bore no evidence of a vehicle impact?

This is getting too weird.

With how the various Count #2 charges were given with jury instructions, they didn't necessarily have to believe that. KR could be found guilty of Involuntary Manslaughter if the jury thought she created a causal chain resulting in his death, like some jurors could blame her for him getting hypothermia...I think the jury instructions were problematic with Count #2, but they were instructed that she could be found guilty due to creating a causal chain.

With how the various Count #2 charges were given with jury instructions, they didn't necessarily have to believe that. KR could be found guilty of Involuntary Manslaughter if the jury thought she created a causal chain resulting in his death, like some jurors could blame her for him getting hypothermia...I think the jury instructions were problematic with Count #2, but they were instructed that she could be found guilty due to creating a causal chain.
For that to work the instigator of the invitation is also guilty.
KR drove him there.
But they had been invited.
Causal link is ergo the host or hosts.

For that to work the instigator of the invitation is also guilty.
KR drove him there.
But they had been invited.
Causal link is ergo the host or hosts.

I tried looking up the actual manslaughter statute for Massachusetts and my god it is the most vague thing I've ever seen. It doesn't seem to actually even define the crime, it only seems to define the punishment.

Last edited:

7/22/24​

Karen Read new trial date​

During Monday's brief hearing, Judge Beverly Cannone scheduled arguments for the defense team's motion to dismiss for Aug. 9.

If the case moves forward after that, Cannone set a new jury trial date of Jan. 27, 2025 in Norfolk Superior Court.

[..]

If the prosecution decides to still go forward, what are the trial dates going to be? By Massachusetts law, they have to be, the case has to be re-tried within a year, so by July 1 of 2025."

When was the last time we've ( everyone not just people here on this forum) seen a town ripped so completely apart like this? It's coming from ALL sides. It's not just outside the town pressure, it's coming from the inside too. There's vandalism, intimidation, terrorism, drama, violence, corruption, fear, protests, counter-protests, contentious town hall meetings, more drama, FBI involvement, incitements, Internal Affairs investigations, even more drama, DEA involvement, NETFLIX series, 48hrs Episodes, Dateline Episodes, Court TV Episodes etc, etc, etc!

It's only going to get worse...WAY worse if this goes forward again. It's a modern day Hatfields & McCoys. Another trial and maybe the National Guard is going to have to come in for support. And boy once those boys and girls come to down things really tend to get weird! Roadblocks, armed soldiers in groups roaming the streets, permissions and denials, movements become "monitrored", There's guys on the roofs with binoculars and night-vison scopes, It's not fun believe me! We've had the Guard come in for some help with Hurrican relief and it's not an enjoyable slice of American Pie if you catch my meaning! The CW needs to reconsider.
It’s happened across the country - deliberately stoked & incited for YEARS.

The division in this town has been going on for many, many years, according to a few of my coworkers who grew up in Canton.
That's the impression I am getting too.

I was quite surprised by the whole supporters thingy. I have no problem with it but I thought it unusual, most of them never knew her.
Then I started looking into other cases in Canton area and I saw there is a legacy of discontent with LE and for good reason.
So there is that.

But there is more too and I am having trouble untangling the knots of it- the origin, I mean.

How to evaluate that?

Hooray for Justice !!!
As long as it takes, as much as it takes.
Prosecutor's closing arguments lay it all out clearly. They have the evidence and facts.
The wheels of justice grind slowly, but they do!

jmo moo
actually a mistrial as declared.
The prosecution case did not stand up to close scrutiny.

causal chain ?
I think I need more law codes and examples on the Causal chains.
Like if random girlfriend asked any - him to drive to 7-11 and he did not want to go ,but she kept asking ,and his car goes into the river in route to grab the whatever girlie selfishly wanted . Is this the charge they get ?
Honestly asking .
If you do have a link explaining the legal concept of Causal chain as defined in this case ,I would really appreciate it .
Causal chain.. ,I kinda hope you joking

Last edited:
causal chain ?
Like if random girlfriend asked any - him to drive to 7-11 and he did not want to go ,but she kept asking ,and his car goes into the river in route to grab the whatever girlie selfishly wanted . Is this the charge they get ?
Honestly asking .
If you do have a link explaining the legal concept of Causal chain as defined in this case ,I would really appreciate it .
EXAMPLE - He would not have froze to death but for Karen Read hitting him and knocking him unconscious

causal chain ?
Honestly asking .
Not MA law per se but here’s a couple I found:

It is often used in negligence cases and/or suits.

My understanding is that DA Morrissey's conduct is being investigated as part of the FBI investigation. The Defense can bring their appeal to an appealant court which will be judged by three judges. MOO
My understanding is that this was defense counsel's spin. In response, both Morrissey and the FBI denied that he or any member of his office was a subject of the FBI investigation.

My understanding is that this was defense counsel's spin. In response, both Morrissey and the FBI denied that he or any member of his office was a subject of the FBI investigation.
your understanding is incorrect

The DA has no such knowledge. He was rebuffed multiple times by the Feds when he (pretty desperately, IMO) tried to find out who they were investigating.

No one knows what the FBI is working on so it's false to say they've excluded anyone and they certainly haven't communicated anything. What we do know is that they aren't directly investigating the O'Keefe murder (no jurisdiction, as Morrissey bellowed) although whatever they are working on clearly has some direct relationship to the investigation of the O'Keefe murder. They don't just willy nilly spend tens of thousands of dollars on experts unless they are onto something.

Dollars to Dunks, it's the state police. Whether Morrissey is in the mix as well, we don't know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back