MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would IMO be helpful to understand the exact type Lexus vehicle and mechanics of the supposed taillight lens breakage. Do we know the year of that vehicle and model accurately?

And if one was to back such a vehicle into someone, with the thickness of those lens (typically polycarbonate I think?) it would take some serious ‘physics’ and movement or force to crack and shatter such a lens IMO. They are thick and designed specifically for longevity. And also to withstand sunlight and heat. Do a little experiment if you wish…… and on a vehicle of no matter perhaps in a salvage yard, try to kick one in, and be sure to wear good steel toed boots.

Not sure what to believe here or what occurred, but a shattered and destroyed taillight lens - depending on the type of damage and pieces - would perhaps more likely result from having struck another vehicle? Or a solid stationary and heavy object?

I also envision that someone has located all of the remnant lens pieces, assembled them, and done some sort of reconstruction and likely damage scenarios? MOO

some liberal snipping

Not sure what to believe here or what occurred, but a shattered and destroyed taillight lens - depending on the type of damage and pieces - would perhaps more likely result from having struck another vehicle? Or a solid stationary and heavy object?

More likely to be from hitting a stationary object. Human bodies are going to give way as opposed to stationary objects like vehicles, poles, etc. It makes no sense to me that a human is hit so hard that he's knocked out of his shoe but there is no corresponding damage to his body or to the body of the vehicle. Modern taillights are also hard to break.

And a reminder that Kerry Roberts only saw a small hole in the taillight before Michael Proctor got involved.

It would IMO be helpful to understand the exact type Lexus vehicle and mechanics of the supposed taillight lens breakage. Do we know the year of that vehicle and model accurately?

And if one was to back such a vehicle into someone, with the thickness of those lens (typically polycarbonate I think?) it would take some serious ‘physics’ and movement or force to crack and shatter such a lens IMO. They are thick and designed specifically for longevity. And also to withstand sunlight and heat. Do a little experiment if you wish…… and on a vehicle of no matter perhaps in a salvage yard, try to kick one in, and be sure to wear good steel toed boots.

I also envision that someone has located all of the remnant lens pieces, assembled them, and done some sort of reconstruction and likely damage scenarios? MOO
2021 Lexus 570 suv. Edited to add LX model

Last edited:

Two interesting Q&As from that article:

Q: Can the defense file a motion for summary judgment? Essentially showing the prosecutor hasn’t proven their case? Obviously, there’s likely a lot more witnesses ahead, but when the prosecution rests, I’m wondering if the defense would file such a pleading?

Michael Coyne, dean of the Massachusetts School of Law: Not summary judgment – that’s a civil term. But you can move for a required finding of not guilty, saying that the government has not met its burden of proof. You have to wait until the government rests… and obviously until they rest you can’t be certain of what the balance of their proof is, so [the judge] won’t short cut it before that. The question now, and that’s a legitimate question, is is there enough evidence for a reasonable jury to be able to find her guilty. I’m not so sure of that top charge. The second-degree murder, as I’ve said all along, the level of intent, the grossly reckless, we aren’t seeing that. There’s certainly not an intentional killing we’ve seen evidence of.

---

Q: Why is having a dead body on the property/front lawn not considered probable cause to search the home?

Peter Elikann, criminal defense attorney: I say there’s probable cause to the 10th power. I mean, somebody’ s expected at a party at that house, the next morning they see his body in front of the house on a lawn. That’s enough. Was there anything going on in the house? How about the people inside? And if there was any question in the police officer’s mind, he could’ve gone and gotten a search warrant and been back in 45 mins. That is absolutely probable cause.

Lally has chosen to call Maureen Hartman to the stand. She's holding a folder full of papers. I can already barely hear her. She is with the Massachusetts crime lab.

Hartnett or Hartman. I can't hear anything.

Maureen looks at Lally when he asks her a question but turns toward the jury when she responds. She is making eye contact with the two closest jurors to her.

If I am correct, Maureen is the first witness that has come to the stand holding anything. She was holding a black file folder that had papers coming out of it.

Maureen was called to the Canton PD to inspect a black Lexus SUV.

Lally just asked a question and Judge Cannone made him go stand behind the podium and ask it again on mic.

Maureen is talking about what she found on the Lexus and pointing out where she found it. In her testimony, she mentions the hair that she found

1717431711418.png

Last edited:
A hair that withstood a blizzard, being towed and driven? Was it embedded in there? How could it just be laying there all that time? I can see hair in say a ball cap but laying on the car?

Please add that the hair was found while in a garage that was compromised, with unsecured and compromised evidence nearby. ( Solo Cups)

Hartnett says she noted a dent, taillight damage, scratches and "an apparent hair" on the rear of KR's SUV.

Judge asking ADA Lally to keep his voice up because of portable air conditioner running. It is hard to hear in courtroom but will take that over the heat.

Hartnett pointing out area where she noted damage on the SUV.

1717432332441.png

"those were negative" Hartnett responds when asked about tests she performed on Read's Lexus for blood.

Lexus GX 570 interior photo

1717432514656.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members