MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any opinions from parents on protecting a son who may have committed murder? Even if accidental, what does that teach him for the future? That he can do whatever he wants and mummy and daddy and Uncle Albert will save him from getting caught?

ETA: I do not have kids so this is a genuine question.
I have twin boys, 26 now. Since I follow cases I have encountered this before. Like Gabby Petito. I was so harsh against the Laundries because I knew that the only reason for their avoidance of the Petitos was guilty knowledge.

My position is if my son was accused of a serious crime I would help them get the best representation possible. I would encourage them to work with their counsel & seek the best resolution involving accountability if they did indeed commit the offense.

What I don't know is what would I do in a case like Karen Read where I believe she is factually innocent & a victim of, at the least, tunnel vision investigators. This is a nightmare scenario to me. I guess I'd need to hire Alan Jackson if my son was being treated like Karen Read. And how many people can afford that? We're all at the mercy of an unjust justice system.

At what point can the defense ask the judge for a directed verdict? I assumed it usually waited until the prosecution rested. In all honesty, I'd like it to continue to reveal all the corruption. The defense is really prosecuting in this case. Wow.

#KarenRead Good morning. Day 23 of testimony. We expect to hear more from Tpr Michael Proctor, the lead investigator on the case. On Monday, he admitted to sending disparaging messages about Read while investigating the case but said that did not affect his view of the facts.

The judge tells the jury that one of the jurors has been excused. Says the reason is personal to that juror.

The remaining jury is composed of 10 women and six men. Only 12 of them will deliberate. The others will be alternates but they don't know which ones.

Jackson resumes questioning about another set of group chats involving Proctor and eight former high school classmates. The chat took place on the evening after O'Keefe died. In the messages, Proctor identified O'Keefe as the victim.

Jackson says one of the friends messaged, "I'm sure the owners of the house will receive some s***." Proctor replied, "No" and then "Homeowner's a Boston cop, too.”

Proctor says his answer about being the homeowner being a cop was not the reason for him not receiving s***.

In another message a friend wrote, "He must have been a puddle (drunk) to accomplish that." Proctor replied: "She waffled him. I looked at him in the hospital.”

Proctor agrees with Jackson that based on the evidence recovered the first day, he believed that the case was "cut and dry." But he also says he believed that the death was caused by a physical altercation.

Proctor acknowledges that O'Keefe had no bruises below the neck. Jackson asks if Proctor has ever seen a vehicle collision that resulted in similar injuries. "I can't recall," Proctor answers.

In one of the messages, Proctor wrote, "That's another animal we won't be able to prove." Proctor says he was referring to the intentionality of the crime, whether Read purposefully intended to hit O’Keefe.

Jackson points out that Proctor identified O'Keefe and Read by name in the messages with high school friends but not the homeowner, Brian Albert.

In one message, a friend of Proctor wrote that the case would be "cut and dry since it involves cops." Proctor responded, "Yeah, but there will be some serious charges brought on the girl (Read).”

Proctor testifies he wasn't trying to "pin" guilty on Read, says all the evidence pointed to her.

A friend texted, "She hot at least?" Proctor replied, "From all accounts, he didn't do anything wrong. She's a whack job, c***." And later, "Yeah, she's a babe. Weird Fall River accent though. No *advertiser censored*.”

Proctor wrote in one message: "Zero chances she escapes. She's *advertiser censored*ked." Proctor says he was referring to "overwhelming amount of evidence" against Read, not trying to frame her.

A friend wrote, "Is that chick a smoke?" Proctor replied, "Eh, nut bag, as chief (a friend) would say. She's got a balloon knot." Proctor acknowledges he was referring to Read's medical condition. Jackson asks if he knew Read had 10 surgeries in 18 months.

The judge seems to be upset that something is being displayed on the courtroom monitor even after she told the defense to take it down.

Proctor says he "absolutely" showed integrity in regards to the investigation but not in regards to the text messages he sent about Read. Jackson asks if Proctor has ever apologized to Read? Prosecution objects. Judge sustains.

Jackson is asking about Proctor's previous testimony regarding his relationships with other witnesses. Proctor says he didn't know the McCabes, but did know Julie, Chris and Colin Albert. Acknowledges he didn't disclose that during previous testimony.

Jackson: "That was a lie, wasn't it?" Proctor says no.

Jackson asks about Proctor's sister, Courtney, who is close friends with Chris and Julie Albert. Says the Albert's have been to his parents' home. Says he had Julie's phone number in his contact but says he wouldn't classify her as "a close friend.”

Jackson says 10 days before O'Keefe's death, Proctor texted his sister to see if Julie Albert was available to babysit for his young child. Proctor acknowledges he never documented that connection in his reports about the case.

Proctor got a text from his sister Courtney asking about his interview with her friend Julie Albert. He replied, "Just a quick convo." Jackson asks in Proctor was "reporting back" about the progress of the investigation.

Jackson asks if he treated the Alberts not like witnesses, but rather like friends. Proctor: "Absolutely not.”

Jackson says Proctor's sister wrote in a message, "This is your livelihood. I would never mess with that." Proctor says his sister was responding to his request for her not to tell anyone that it was being treated as a homicide and "suspicious”.

Proctor says he was not disclosing to his sister "intimate" details about the investigation, only "newsworthy" info. But says he would not have told news media such info.

Jackson shows this text message in which Proctor's sister says Julie Albert was offering to get him "a thank you gift". Proctor replied that she should give his wife a gift.

Jackson asks about Proctor's handwritten notes listing Colin Albert as present at the home the night of O'Keefe's death. Jackson points out that Proctor did not include Colin's name in later reports. Proctor testifies that's because Colin arrived later than the others.

Proctor acknowledges his did not the check the Life360 data to verify Allie McCabe's story about when she took Colinn Albert home from 34 Fairview Rd.

---Back from morning break

Jackson shows this text message Proctor exchanged with a Canton police department officer about surveillance video cameras in the area. Canton PD had recused itself from the case.

Jackson is asking about why Proctor didn't originally report that a snowplow had passed on Fairview Road that night. Jackson: You didn't want to speak with anyone that didn't fit your narrative? Proctor: Not true.

Proctor acknowledges he concluded that Read was responsible for O'Keefe's death before determining her motive.

Proctor says ATF Agent Brian Higgins was "very forthcoming" by providing his flirtatious text messages with Read. Jackson points out Higgins had extracted and "curated" those messages himself. Jackson says those messages showed Higgins had a motive to harm John O’Keefe.

"Could he throw a punch?" Jackson asks. "He's a big guy," he adds. Suggesting that Higgins also had the means to harm O’Keefe.

Jackson asks about the medical examiner's determination that O'Keefe's manner of death was undetermined. Proctor says it didn't matter because they would still continue with the investigation.

After learning from another trooper about medical examiner's ruling, Proctor texted, "Of course it's undetermined. She was a whack job." Jackson says Proctor was referring to the female medical examiner as "a whack job." Proctor says he can't remember who is was talking about.

Jackson asks if Proctor put pressure on the medical examiner to change her opinion. Proctor says no. Jackson shows this text message where a co-worker wrote to Proctor: "Rookie move not going into a meeting with the ME and getting that homicide determination.”

Jackson asks if Proctor is aware that Jen McCabe deleted calls and message before turning it over to him. Proctor says no but agrees finding out that info would be important in an investigation.

Proctor says he never seized phones from the Alberts, says it "never crossed my mind" that those phones would reveal that he knew some of the Alberts.

Jackson shows this text message from Canton PD officer Kevin Albert, brother of the homeowner at 34 Fairview Rd. Proctor says he did not tell Albert that it was inappropriate for him to be involved in the investigation.
x.com

Proctor acknowledges he and Kevin Albert go to the same gym and sometimes go out drinking together. "I don't consider that a relationship.”

In July '22, after drinking together, Proctor texted Kevin Albert that he'd left his badge in Proctor's cruiser. Jackson: "You were drinking and driving in your cruiser?”

Jackson asks about collection of O'Keefe's clothing from the hospital. Jackson asks about the chain of custody, says there's no evidence log until March 14th for the clothing.

Proctor says he "incorrectly transcribed the time" when he seized Read's SUV, then used that time as a "template" in future reports.

Jackson says the state police have other nearby heated garages where the SUV could have been stored, instead of the Canton Police Department.

Jackson asks if Proctor "held back videos" from the Canton Police Dept surveillance. Proctor says he did not.

Proctor says he learned a few weeks from Lt Tully about another video from inside the Canton PD garage. Proctor says he reviewed this video. (This is the video that was originally shown to the jury as inverted.)

Proctor says he noticed gaps in the video and noticed that the timestamp was inverted. Says the video, as he originally saw it, was not inverted.

@BienickWCVB

I’m getting confused. There’s so much going on and so much to remember.
Not sure but is the implication that cw (lally) gave him an uninverted copy to watch just the other day, after cw tried to pass off the inverted vid in court ie inappropriate warning of witness or something. Did Proctor say that was first time he had seen the inside sally port vid.Idk guessing. Question mark key has stopped working on my key board.

Good morning from Norfolk Superior on day 23 of testimony in the Karen Read trial. Trooper Michael Proctor is outside the courtroom. Alan Jackson is expected to resume his cross examination. We may also hear from his superior Det Lt Tully.

Judge announces a juror has dropped out for a personal reason that has nothing to do with this case. They have extra jurors so trial continues

16 hours into investigation of John O'Keefe's, Proctor texted friend, "“she (KR) waffled him. I looked at his body at the hospital”. This is after he told friends he initially believed JO had been beaten up based on what paramedics told him

AJ: Have you ever seen a pedestrian hit by a 6 thousand vehicle with no bruises?MP: I can’t recall

AJ says Proctor did not mention Brian Albert's name in group chat with friends about case but did name JO and KRAJ: you were actively trying to hide Brian Albert’s name from this group chat?MP: Absolutely not

AJ says one Proctor's friend texted "something stinks" in a text about the case. According to AJ, Proctor responded: "there will be some serious charges brought on the girl”

Texts from Trooper Proctor's text messages with friends, as read by him and AJFriend: She hot at least? MP responds: From all accounts he didn’t do a thing wrong, she’s a wackjob (see you next Tuesday).MP later texts: "zero chance she skates, she’s F@#ked

AJ: Trooper Proctor have you ever apologized to Ms. Read?AL: ObjectionJudge: Sustained

Proctor says he knew Chris, Julie and Colin Albert prior to this case but doesn't recall his testimony at a 2/2024 proceeding (safe to assume fed grand jury) about that.AJ asks him to review a transcript of his testimony

AJ is the one speaking to Judge Cannone at this sidebar

AJ: are you aware of any circumstances where any of the Alberts have been over to your parents’ house?MP: YesMP later says he’s been there when Chris, Julie and Colin Albert have been there.

Judge calls morning break. usually about 20 minutes

Proctor says he interviewed Canton plow driver "Lucky" Loughran after the defense didAJ asks "are you aware Lucky Loughran reported there was no body at 2:30 am?"AL: Objection

1718211959387.png

AJ: Did you interview all the people who could have had motive to kill John O’Keefe?MP: Nobody else had motive

paraphrased:AJ: you became aware that Higgins had motive....?MP: Absolutely notAJ: Are you aware Brian Higgins sent JO a text message "coaxing him" to 34 Fairview?Judge: "I’ll see you at sidebar”

ME ruled JO's manner of undetermined. Proctor texted another Trooper, “of course it’s undetermined. She’s a wack job”. MP says he's not sure if he was referencing the Medical Examiner: "it's a sarcastic remark I made..."AJ asks if Proctor has ever had a previous "undetermined" murder case:MP: "I don’t feel comfortable putting a number on it but it’s not a lot"AJ; you indicated in another proceeding (feds) that it was never

AJ is going down every avenue he possibly can with Proctor's texts messages - and there are a lot of them.

“it was a typo" Proctor says when he documented that KR's SUV was towed at her parents' home at 5:30 when the tow happened at 4:16

Proctor says it was then Canton Police Chief Ken Berkowitz who was with him near the back of KR's vehicle in the Canton police sallyport video.Proctor said the video was not "inverted" when he watched it at his desk but the timestamp on the bottom was.

Lunch recess. Jackson says he has about 1/2 hour to go with Trooper Proctor

@TedDanielnews

I don't see how a jury can believe ANYTHING that came out of proctors mouth considering how awful he is. Even without all the disparaging remarks, everything else about him seems sloppy, half-assed and negligent.

He's a cop with an arbitrary badge. He uses it when it suits him. Everything he says and does is right and damn everyone else. That's how he got away with such crappy work before. He's never been held accountable because that's how the whole system works. No one questioned his work because there were no checks and balances. They all covered or "over-looked things" for each other. So it's not really a conspiracy involving 10's of people, it's just a bunch of people not doing their jobs properly and getting away with it. I really do have to wonder how many other people have been screwed over by the shoddy police work in this area.

I don't see how a jury can believe ANYTHING that came out of proctors mouth considering how awful he is. Even without all the disparaging remarks, everything else about him seems sloppy, half-assed and negligent.

He's a cop with an arbitrary badge. He uses it when it suits him. Everything he says and does is right and damn everyone else. That's how he got away with such crappy work before. He's never been held accountable because that's how the whole system works. No one questioned his work because there were no checks and balances. They all covered or "over-looked things" for each other. So it's not really a conspiracy involving 10's of people, it's just a bunch of people not doing their jobs properly and getting away with it. I really do have to wonder how many other people have been screwed over by the shoddy police work in this area.
The YT video of last night's Canton Select Committee was interesting. A lot of concerns from the community on the current police chief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member