MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was KR driving to the bar and not to the house where she last saw O'Keefe?

This to me points more towards her innocence! Why would she drive towards the bar if she knew she hit him in front of the Albert’s home? There’s no question that they were all drunk at night, and I believe that part of her hysteria comes from that fact alone. Honestly, her driving around, looking for him points more towards her innocence than her guilt.

I will never understand that they did not investigate anyone else!

THIS. It's been established she was jealous and likely insecure.
IMHO they were arguing, she was mad that he was going to go to the after party instead of choosing her. Higgins was there and she had already made things awkward. It's possible she did not want John and Higgins talking without her around especially after everyone had been drinking. They argue, he gets out of the car, he may have slipped due to being drunk and she took off hitting him in the process. He drags himself to his final resting place. She goes home and sleeps it off a bit on the couch. Why the couch and not the bed? Somewhere in there she makes 53 calls to his phone. She wakes up and knows something happened but she can't remember what and also tells (JM?) that she had left John at the Waterfall? She's also seen driving there in the morning? In the meantime she is piecing things from the night before together and then has her 'oh crap' moment and they go to 34 Fairview and she runs to JOK who is laying on the lawn.
She drove off but hit him with the back of her car?

@BienickWCVB

Next prosecution witness: Sgt. Brian Gallerani of the Needam Police Department. He collected DNA swabs from Proctor and Bukhenik. He spends less than five minutes on the stand explaining the collection process.

1718296340088.png

12:31 PM · Jun 13, 2024

@TedDanielnews

Sgt. Brian Gallerani from Needham police was quickly called to say he took Proctor and Bukhenik's DNA. No defense questions. A DNA analyst from a private lab is on the stand now.

12:31 PM · Jun 13, 2024

This to me points more towards her innocence! Why would she drive towards the bar if she knew she hit him in front of the Albert’s home? There’s no question that they were all drunk at night, and I believe that part of her hysteria comes from that fact alone. Honestly, her driving around, looking for him points more towards her innocence than her guilt.

I don't know about showing her innocence but it's seems to show that she didn't remember where she last saw O'Keefe.

What else does she not remember? JMO.

100%. Points as much and, imo, more to her innocence or to no consciousness of guilt than the other way round. Why is Lally so blind, tone deaf and obtuse not to realise this? Imo

Just because you and your husband do something doesn't mean that KR would react in the same exact manner. We have no idea of their normal routine, what nights out were like, if they ALWAYS ended up back home together or not. I know a good number of people who would be freaking out if their partner wasn't home by 5am. That doesn't mean that I'm going to assume EVERY couple would react that way. I don't have a perpetual window into KR and JOK's daily lives, so I don't see how I can determine what is and what isn't weird for them as a couple. JMO
Add to that the fact that there were blizzard conditions and JOK wasn't returning calls/texts, she had every right to freak out. IMO.

THIS. It's been established she was jealous and likely insecure.
IMHO they were arguing, she was mad that he was going to go to the after party instead of choosing her. Higgins was there and she had already made things awkward. It's possible she did not want John and Higgins talking without her around especially after everyone had been drinking. They argue, he gets out of the car, he may have slipped due to being drunk and she took off hitting him in the process. He drags himself to his final resting place. She goes home and sleeps it off a bit on the couch. Why the couch and not the bed? Somewhere in there she makes 53 calls to his phone. She wakes up and knows something happened but she can't remember what and also tells (JM?) that she had left John at the Waterfall? She's also seen driving there in the morning? In the meantime she is piecing things from the night before together and then has her 'oh crap' moment and they go to 34 Fairview and she runs to JOK who is laying on the lawn.
Exactly, its not a very complicated case at all. There are any number of very simple ways to explain this.

Hypothetically and backup up by some evidence: They were both very drunk. He got out of the car and kneeled to get sick or fell into the street near the curb facing so the back of his head was toward the rear of the car. She backed up and hit him going 20ish miles an hour and dragged his arm through the wheel-well as she sped off in the forward direction. This caused the injuries to his head and arm. He stumbled away to die in the cold.

She returns home and wakes up still a little drunk but realizes something happened and re-traces her steps because she left him somewhere, but can't remember exactly where, and he hasn't responded to any calls or texts. As she drives she starts to connect the dots and realizes the most likely thing is that she hit him.

Or another reasonable explanation is that she didn't know how to get to 34F from where she was so she went back to the last place she does know how to get to and and retraced her steps.

Last edited:
@SueNBCBoston

So that cell data testimony from the prosecution witness doesn’t mean much to me because I don’t have a the narrative that it’s supposed to support.

Obviously I can’t avoid information outside the courtroom.But if I’m confused, I’m sure some jurors are too.

Bradford explaining how the DNA profile is made, where it came from, how a comparison is done.

One juror who fidgets a lot generally is really fidgeting now.Many are leaning forward, probably because he’s hard to hear & the info is dense.

Exactly, its not a very complicated case at all. There are any number of very simple ways to explain this.

Hypothetically and backup up by some evidence: They were both very drunk. He got out of the car and kneeled to get sick or fell into the street near the curb facing so the back of his head was toward the rear of the car. She backed up and hit him going 20ish miles an hour and dragged his arm through the wheel-well as she sped off in the forward direction. This caused the injuries to his head and arm. He stumbled away to die in the cold.

She returns home and wakes up still a little drunk but realizes something happened and re-traces her steps because she left him somewhere, but can't remember exactly where, and he hasn't responded to any calls or texts. As she drives she starts to connect the dots and realizes the most likely thing is that she hit him.
Interested in seeing the wheel well evidence as I must have missed that. Do you have a link?

@BienickWCVB

Jackson points out that neither of the cell towers that pinged the night before pinged the following morning. Asks if that means it's more likely Read was on her way to McCabe residence than at 34 Fairview Rd. Objection/sustained.

Jacksons says that based on the cell phone data Tully earlier testified about, Read's SUV was travelling at 37.5 miles per second at one point.
At times Jackson appeared to out-expert the police supervisor/phone expert. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members