MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today Proctor testified that they never record their interviews. It sounded like some kind of policy. I don't understand that at all. I can't think of a single legitimate reason that a law enforcement agency wouldn't record their contacts with civilians. I can think of a bunch of non-legitimate reasons, though.

This case would have gone very differently if the officers were equipped with body cameras and the interviews were conducted in an appropriate manner (held at a police station, each witness spoken to separately and the conversations recorded). If that had been done, John O'Keefe's family would be getting justice instead of this farce.

Did proctor say none of them recorded, or only MSP didn’t record? MSP wouldn’t be wearing body cams but canton PD officers should be.

I just finished a criminal investigations course that indicated note taking was fine when interviewing a witness. It was when interviewing a suspect that you wanted it ideally video and audio recorded. (Along with being in certain conditions, like a small interrogation room) .. when there was a shooting outside of my apt building a while back the officer took notes when I spoke w him - can’t remember if the dept had body cams.

All jmo and brief experience.

Edit: I meant MSP wouldn’t be wearing body cams as detectives, like in suits. Of course a trooper doing traffic stops and the like would be wearing a cam, or at least I would assume they would. Oh, someone correct me if I’m wrong

Ok…. And please help me if someone might….. I thought the time stamp on the inverted video* showed timestamp numbers in blue across the bottom also in a correct readable format? (I.e. not reversed).

So are there therefore two versions available inverted & correct view? And both having a correct time format?

And what have we seen in court evidence? Yes…. I am confused…….

And then becomes a question IMO - who was asked to provide and deliver the garage video display format(s) for evidence? And by whom? (Almost seems that IIRC there is possibly two versions….. at least one of which might be called ‘doctored evidence’ IMO.)

*Inverted video…. Where we saw the driver get out of the driver’s door (which to the uninformed viewer appears to be the passenger side (falsely) or of a right hand drive vehicle (which is not the case here). MOO
It does appear there two versions of the video. I missed it, but a poster earlier said the police chief herself gave the troopers the video. Let me know if you find out differently.JMOO

I just finished a criminal investigations course that indicated note taking was fine when interviewing a witness. It was when interviewing a suspect that you wanted it ideally video and audio recorded.
rsbm.

I'm certainly no expert on police procedure. And I can imagine there are situations where making a recording might be impractical.

But I don't know why not recording a conversation would ever be preferred. It leads to situations like in this case where several of the prosecution's own witnesses are claiming that the cops did not accurately document their words.

Hopefully the whole department is going to receive a complete overhaul after this case is over. I also thought it was nuts when he said that is policy. This is 2024!
The Canton Select Board still has Mr. Chris Albert (father of Colin) as a member. At each meeting the room is standing room only and at public comment the residents are begging for an over haul of the police department and removing Chief Rafferty. Hard to believe a small town like Canton is so dysfunctional.

And since there's no evidence log, we are left with testimony that pieces were being collected for what seemed to me like a week of drive-bys.

Confusing indeed but I really think this was intentionally meant to be confusing! MOO
In my opinion, that was an ‘insiders joke’ , drive by and plant evidence , and then another officer drives past and finds evidence . MOO - my opinion only.

rsbm.

I'm certainly no expert on police procedure. And I can imagine there are situations where making a recording might be impractical.

But I don't know why not recording a conversation would ever be preferred. It leads to situations like in this case where several of the prosecution's own witnesses are claiming that the cops did not accurately document their words.
i see your point but i see the quoted's post about note taking being fine. suspects are higher stakes so that's a different objective of interviewing. putting people, even "innocent" people, on the record makes them nervous, maybe unwilling to talk or divulge fully. also during a real investigation, it helps paint a broad brush of the situation at-hand so sitting down to record every convo can be redundant and tedious. not very effective imo

if Canton PD crossed their T's and dotted their I's, note taking a non-suspect should be fine; however, we all know there is no standard or best practices here lol

One possibility Higgins was flirting with KR, and JO may have got mad.
I have a few hypothetical scenarios for what happened. Higgins or someone else hitting JO, and things escalating out of control are my most likely. And JO left the house and passed out in the snow and died because nobody in the house cared enough to check. Number 2 is KR hit JO accidentally but there was something else happening in the house that was being covered for and everyone is doubling down because they're screwed if they come clean now.

OK what a day. I'm going to ask again in the hopes that someone reading this has happened to have seen a working timeline for this case. I think timelines are going to be super important. If I don't hear back, I guess I can start one. Is that allowed?
I can link one that someone on Reddit has made, to save you time. It may be tomorrow tho.

This would be plausible if Higgins knew how to flirt

I honestly felt a little bad for him when those texts were being read. The man has no game. She was really stringing him along though, and I can appreciate him just wanting a straight answer from her about what was happening. But, he has no game! Poor guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay