Found Deceased MA - Sinead Lyons, 41, Lowell, traveling to Ossipee/Effingham, NH area, 11 Mar 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They had evidence to believe this missing person, Miss Lyons, had been in the Ossipee area and may have gone on a hiking trip with her dog," said state police Lt. James Fogarty.

The New Hampshire State Police used a drone Wednesday as part of the latest search for Sinead Lyons, the 41-year-old woman from Lowell, Massachusetts, who was reported missing over the weekend by Lowell police.

Monday night, police located Lyon's vehicle, a white Volvo, in a parking lot near Ossipee Lake. On Tuesday, a multiagency search was launched that included a foot search of the area and the use of the state police helicopter.

"New Hampshire Fish and Game put their airboat on the ice and checked the areas of the lake that are open water, as well as used a remote vehicle to check under the ice," Fogarty said.

Police said they have no reason to suspect foul play and are treating the investigation as a missing-person case. They are also looking for the public's help.
Search continues for Massachusetts woman last seen in Ossipee area
Thanks. That article clarifies a few things:
1. She was last seen at Ossipee.
2. She apparently picked up the dog without incident which likely clears the dog sitter
3. There are open areas of water on the lake.

I don't know how effective the remote methods are in looking for bodies underwater but I'm skeptical. Then again, I use a fish finder when I go looking for trout on my lake so what do I know....

Not sure if this has been posted, probably (hopefully) not Sinead, just thought location interesting:
Body found at Kinney Shores in Saco, according to Saco PD | newscentermaine.com

Link below explains water leaves at eastern end of Ossipee Lake via Ossipee River and flows into the Saco River in Maine.

Ossipee Lake

Whomever this poor woman is, once identified, will provide answers and hopefully some closure for her family and loved ones.

IMHOO

ETA: clarity

Last edited:
But why go out on the lake, if she googled trails? I know people do, heck where I am people drive pickups onto the ice for most of the winter, but in 57 years of living in the cold north, I don’t recall seeing anyone taking their dog for a walk on a frozen lake.

I know people who take their dogs ice fishing, but we’re talking fishing in an enclosed, usually heated ice shack, not just sitting on a bucket out in the freezing cold. I lived on a lake for a few years and we did all kinds of things on the frozen lake, luckily none of them stupid, but never walked my dog out there.

All MOO and speculation, I pray for a good outcome for Sinead and her doggie as well.

But why go out on the lake, if she googled trails? I know people do, heck where I am people drive pickups onto the ice for most of the winter, but in 57 years of living in the cold north, I don’t recall seeing anyone taking their dog for a walk on a frozen lake.

I know people who take their dogs ice fishing, but we’re talking fishing in an enclosed, usually heated ice shack, not just sitting on a bucket out in the freezing cold. I lived on a lake for a few years and we did all kinds of things on the frozen lake, luckily none of them stupid, but never walked my dog out there.

All MOO and speculation, I pray for a good outcome for Sinead and her doggie as well.

I don’t know where exactly her car was found but there’s a park with walking trails at Ossipee Lake, Constitution Park. Thinking about it, it seems way more likely she’d go for a walk on one of these trails then head to a real hiking trail in this weather. Maybe she meant more nature walk than hike in the mountains.

I don’t know where exactly her car was found but there’s a park with walking trails at Ossipee Lake, Constitution Park. Thinking about it, it seems way more likely she’d go for a walk on one of these trails then head to a real hiking trail in this weather. Maybe she meant more nature walk than hike in the mountains.
That’s sort of what I pictured as well, Alethea, but sure not out onto the lake. Praying for a good outcome.

Update from that link just for info-
Police identify body found at Kinney Shores in Saco as 64-year-old resident of the city

Not sure if this has been posted, probably (hopefully) not Sinead, just thought location interesting:
Body found at Kinney Shores in Saco, according to Saco PD | newscentermaine.com

Link below explains water leaves at eastern end of Ossipee Lake via Ossipee River and flows into the Saco River in Maine.

Ossipee Lake

Whomever this poor woman is, once identified, will provide answers and hopefully some closure for her family and loved ones.

IMHOO

ETA: clarity

heck where I am people drive pickups onto the ice for most of the winter, but in 57 years of living in the cold north, I don’t recall seeing anyone taking their dog for a walk on a frozen lake.

I don't live in an extremely cold place, and the lakes don't freeze over. Could someone educate me as to why it'd be OK to take a car, snowmobile, etc. onto the ice, but you wouldn't walk your dog on it? If the ice is strong enough for a car.....

I don't live in an extremely cold place, and the lakes don't freeze over. Could someone educate me as to why it'd be OK to take a car, snowmobile, etc. onto the ice, but you wouldn't walk your dog on it? If the ice is strong enough for a car.....

I think the poster just means people don't walk on the frozen lakes. I wouldn't because it's slippery and I would worry about my dog or I getting hurt. If your dog got loose you'd have a heck of a time running across ice to try to get them. Their nails can catch on ice chips and rip off (happened to a foster dog in my driveway!). Just not really something people would do.

It’s not that you couldn’t do it, but there are so many easier and safer places to walk a dog. I’ve just never seen it personally. I’m sure there are people who do, but not in my personal experience is all.. but then people don’t google trails and wander out onto a frozen or semi frozen lake usually either, in my experience and opinion. MOO

It depends on knowing the local ice conditions and the degree of freezing. I've lived in cold climes and, along with most of my neighbours, walked with my dogs on frozen lakes most of my life. Public skating, skiing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, winter carnivals with snowmobile races, demolition derbys, all part of winter sport when conditions permit.

ETA: Really comes down to the conditions, the knowledge and comfort level of the individual.

Last edited:
It depends on knowing the local ice conditions and the degree of freezing. I've lived in cold climes and, along with most of my neighbours, walked with my dogs on frozen lakes most of my life. Public skating, skiing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, winter carnivals with snowmobile races, demolition derbys, all part of winter sport when conditions permit.

ETA: Really comes down to the conditions, the knowledge and comfort level of the individual.
That’s good to know! Maybe it’s a regional thing or maybe I just never paid that much attention.

MAR 18, 2021
Search for missing Mass. woman continues | Local News | conwaydailysun.com

6053ad75d05a3.image.jpg

[...]

New Hampshire State Police say Sinead Lyons, 41, was last seen walking by shore of Ossipee Lake on Friday and that her car, a white 2005 Volvo V70 station wagon bearing Massachusetts plate 926TN7 was found by Ossipee Police in Constitution Park on Monday. Constitution Park is near the lake.

"We are following the evidence and what we know is that she was last seen by credible witnesses on Ossipee Lake," said State Police Lt. Jim Fogarty in an email Thursday adding they don't need public search parties right now. "NH State Police, Carroll County Sheriff’s Office and the NH Fish and Game are actively searching at this time."

WMUR reported that state police said she was last seen March 12 with her dog on the shore of the lake.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back