MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Article with quote from DA on the 2 crimes not showing any linkage at this time: http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/08/goo...ed-after-jog-princeton-ma-karina-vetrano.html

That news report you posted link to is a yesterday 1:08pm news report, todays news reports says that the Karina Vetrano and Vanessa Marcotte investigations are comparing notes and that they are NOT ruling a connection out.

I find it kind of odd that you are so eager to convince everybody, both on this thread and Karina Vetrano's thread that police believe that thise two murders are not connected, when that is NOT true!

It appears that the NYC cops see a possible connection and the MA investigators don't.

The MA investigators have said repeatedly that they are following all leads, no matter how improbable. They'd be remiss to ignore a possible connection even if they think it's unlikely.

I do have to admit that the two girls do look eerily similar even if I feel the liklehood of someone following her from NYC is slim.

It seems if they followed her, they would have to have planned it for a while, and would have known her schedule and would have known that she travels home biweekly and would have known she always runs that route before getting on the bus to head back to the city....like maybe someone from an app, or someone she worked with, or someone she knew from the city.

Could Karina have been "practice"?

I do have to admit that the two girls do look eerily similar even if I feel the liklehood of someone following her from NYC is slim.

It seems if they followed her, they would have to have planned it for a while, and would have known her schedule and would have known that she travels home biweekly and would have known she always runs that route before getting on the bus to head back to the city....like maybe someone from an app, or someone she worked with, or someone she knew from the city.

Could Karina have been "practice"?

This seems possible to me.

I agree that its unlikely that someone followed her from NYC. If Princeton was directly off a major highway connected to NYC I might even think it possible. But Princeton isn't really the kind of town you just...happen upon. No big rigs rolling through town, etc. The app that reveals so much about her current location I think is more a more interesting and likely connection.

My gut though is telling me she was randomly spotted while running and they followed her up 31 and lay in wait to grab her when the time was right. There are so many turns and hills in these roads (not big hills or major turns-but spots where you can't see around the bend, etc until you are right there) it would be easy for a car to pull over on the side and not see it until you were right there. I think it's someone from the area, which honestly sucks. If she went down Brooks Station from her mother's house onto Ball Hill, and then up 31, she would have passed the church on a Sunday as well as that large antique shop on 31. Hunt and Gather Vintage Market is open from 12-5 on Sundays.

I'm nervous that the attempted abduction of the women in Northborough and Westborough were "practice" :(

It just seems weird that if it was someone from the area that nothing like this would have ever happened before. It's not like there are a shortage of single female joggers on these isolated roads at any given time. It's a pretty com one site around here, so it just seems if that alone is what made someone tick, they would have plenty of opportunities almost anytime they drive those roads.

Regarding if someone followed her...I think if that's the case, they wou,d have to have planned it out, and have known her schedule, and maybe drove up a few days ago, knew she'd take that Sunday jog, and spent the weekend getting familiar with the area.

I agree that its unlikely that someone followed her from NYC. If Princeton was directly off a major highway connected to NYC I might even think it possible. But Princeton isn't really the kind of town you just...happen upon. No big rigs rolling through town, etc. The app that reveals so much about her current location I think is more a more interesting and likely connection.

My gut though is telling me she was randomly spotted while running and they followed her up 31 and lay in wait to grab her when the time was right. There are so many turns and hills in these roads (not big hills or major turns-but spots where you can't see around the bend, etc until you are right there) it would be easy for a car to pull over on the side and not see it until you were right there. I think it's someone from the area, which honestly sucks. If she went down Brooks Station from her mother's house onto Ball Hill, and then up 31, she would have passed the church on a Sunday as well as that large antique shop on 31. Hunt and Gather Vintage Market is open from 12-5 on Sundays.

I'm nervous that the attempted abduction of the women in Northborough and Westborough were "practice" :(

Also unless they knew exactly where she was headed they wouldnt really have been able to drive up ahead and lay in wait for her, because they would have to know she was going to take two turn offs from 31. If they just spotted her on 31 it would have been impossible for them to predict that.

It just seems weird that if it was someone from the area that nothing like this would have ever happened before. It's not like there are a shortage of single female joggers on these isolated roads at any given time. It's a pretty com one site around here, so it just seems if that alone is what made someone tick, they would have plenty of opportunities almost anytime they drive those roads.

Regarding if someone followed her...I think if that's the case, they wou,d have to have planned it out, and have known her schedule, and maybe drove up a few days ago, knew she'd take that Sunday jog, and spent the weekend getting familiar with the area.

I don't think anyone followed her specifically.

If the two cases are linked, I think it might be that the coverage of the Howard Beach case (Karina) excited and inspired Vanessa's perp. Gross to think about. When he saw Vanessa, he was ripe to strike.

HOWEVER, that leaves out the burning of Vanessa. That seems like someone ready in advance, with a plan.

I agree, however these things tend to escalate. So offenders of this type don't go straight to murdering/burning people in the woods- they start with a minor sexual assault, a rape, etc. They escalate to this level. It's not his first crime- but at the same time it doesn't mean this person has done this exact crime before...if that makes sense. There are plenty of sexual assaults in recent years in Worcester county. It's also why I worry about the Westborough/Northborough connection- that was a failed abduction, he tried twice supposedly, and he failed. It's not unreasonable to think that that he would try again, and succeed, panic and try to destroy the evidence of his first kill.

Obviously no one could correctly predict where she was headed next, but that wasn't what I was saying. I'm just saying that she twice passed "busy" (you know- busy for Princeton...) lots where people could have spotted her. I just wonder if anyone at those places saw her run that way.

Also unless they knew exactly where she was headed they wouldnt really have been able to drive up ahead and lay in wait for her, because they would have to know she was going to take two turn offs from 31. If they just spotted her on 31 it would have been impossible for them to predict that.

I agree it's more likely that she was attacked at the start of her run while still on Brooks Station. I think it could have absolutely been someone who knew her somehow and stalked her.

I agree, however these things tend to escalate. So offenders of this type don't go straight to murdering/burning people in the woods- they start with a minor sexual assault, a rape, etc. They escalate to this level. It's not his first crime- but at the same time it doesn't mean this person has done this exact crime before...if that makes sense. There are plenty of sexual assaults in recent years in Worcester county. It's also why I worry about the Westborough/Northborough connection- that was a failed abduction, he tried twice supposedly, and he failed. It's not unreasonable to think that that he would try again, and succeed, panic and try to destroy the evidence of his first kill.

Obviously no one could correctly predict where she was headed next, but that wasn't what I was saying. I'm just saying that she twice passed "busy" (you know- busy for Princeton...) lots where people could have spotted her. I just wonder if anyone at those places saw her run that way.

I think you're right about those past abduction attempts.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/were-considering-anyone-and-everyone-da-says-of-joggers-murder/41131452

'We're considering anyone and everyone,' DA says of jogger's murder

5 Investigates: Jogger found dead in Princeton woods may have been strangled

UPDATED 5:16 PM EDT Aug 10, 2016

quote:
She had trauma and burns, and investigators are awaiting results of a rape kit, sources said.

quote:
5 Investigates learned that Marcotte may have been strangled, but her official cause and manner of death have not yet been officially released.
Authorities urged residents in the area to remain vigilant

quote:
Early said Marcotte traveled from New York to Princeton frequently to visit her family. Marcotte's father, John Marcotte, told The Boston Globe she was not in a romantic relationship.

Tech people definitely use "ping" as a verb-my husband uses it all the time (he has a tech background). It isn't used by lots of people in general, but it is commonly used by people in the computer technology areas

The "find friends" app is fairly accurate; I work on a 16 acre property, and my husband can find me at my employer's swimming pool in the yard, or by the tennis court on same.

That news report you posted link to is a yesterday 1:08pm news report, todays news reports says that the Karina Vetrano and Vanessa Marcotte investigations are comparing notes and that they are NOT ruling a connection out.

I find it kind of odd that you are so eager to convince everybody, both on this thread and Karina Vetrano's thread that police believe that thise two murders are not connected, when that is NOT true!

Is "not at this time" something that is misunderstood? I ask because I clearly included those 3 words in my verbiage to qualify what I read. Then I linked to the article on both threads because both threads had posters questioning if police had made a link between the 2 murders yet. That's the article I read and that's the article I linked. The article clearly states that police are looking into it and have not yet determined any linkage between the 2 murders. And yes, that also means they haven't ruled it out yet.

I find it odd that the same questions are being asked on both threads and when an actual link to an actual article that provides a quote from a direct source in one of the cases is provided, that's somehow deemed as me trying to convince anyone. Those are not my quotes--it's an article. Take it for what it's worth as you should any MSM news article.

I agree it's more likely that she was attacked at the start of her run while still on Brooks Station. I think it could have absolutely been someone who knew her somehow and stalked her.

I am thinking the same thing, that she was attacked on Brooks Station just after setting out. After seeing her routes while there back in September 2015 seems she headed north on those runs. Actually seems like she ran the same routes frequently, even in NYC ☹️ I know you were able to pull up the routes also. Did you notice the route tracking stopped in September 2015, but the awards still continued at locations in NYC. Wondering if something spooked her and made her change that privacy setting, or maybe I'm just looking to far into it.

Made me realize I needed to change my privacy settings on that app quickly though!

It's entirely possible something like this happened before -- a young person who committed crimes against animals (I know of at least one incident) and escalated to people, somebody who goes elsewhere to commit his crimes, someone who stopped for a long time, someone from a wealthy or prominent family whose crimes were covered up (I know of at least one incident of that, too).

Has anyone found info concerning what adress or specific area in New York City Vanessa lived in ?
If there are anyone here in this thread who knew Vanessa personeally, could yo please share this info? (don't need house number)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatMeryl