MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #7 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Premeditated murder just means he intended to kill her and then he did. If, for example, he killed through strangulation, that alone would count as a premeditated murder because it takes time to accomplish that and the person knows if they continue the victim will die. It can be mere seconds to establish premeditation. People often get pre-planning a crime confused with premeditation though they are not the same thing. Pre-planning makes for a stronger case if evidence of that exists, but it's not a necessary element to prove the charge of first degree murder.

I have no doubt he'll be charged with every aspect of the crime.

Not sure why my previous comment was deleted, but anyway. I'm very surprised family members, neighbors, etc haven't blown his cover on social media. I'm not surprised that LE hasn't released it, just surprised that it hasn't come out some other way. I'm wondering if family members and friends were asked not to post anything. Does anyone know if that would be a typical request made of family and friends of the killer? No social media imprint is unusual to me. Curious for other people's thoughts on that.

and O/T and kind of corny but I really just want to say thank you to everyone that has posted here since the beginning looking for justice for Vanessa. Posters often disagreed about the evidence/lack of evidence, but I know everyone had their heart in the right place. I am so grateful justice will be done for this girl.

Also, did anyone else catch in that NECN video that the name on the mailbox is Adrian, not Angelo? The neighbor describes him as "living down there with his wife and a couple of kids" so it doesn't sound like another male is living there (I mean, there could be-who knows! a male does answer the door). Maybe Adrian is his alias?

Not a very bright killer. I have to admit It made me mad when people insinuated he was so clever. He's a moron and he's gonna get what he deserves.

I do have to wonder though- if he was working in the area at the time, matched physical description and had suspect vehicle, why wasn't he caught in LE's initial investigative web?! It doesn't matter now in this case, But for future cases, what, if anything, was overlooked here?
My thought based on them saying he needs a translator and not saying what he does work wise but that he worked in the area makes me wonder if he was doing under the table garden or landscaping at a home often that she ran by and more specifically maybe one closest to the site. And I don't mean it cause he's Spanish but because I don't know how many other jobs he could be doing if he needs a translator and if I recall people states the area is mostly upperclass white people so I had pictured a older white guy.

I wonder if he's gone to school where she has or maybe her mentor or volunteer work put her around him. I kinda feel it wasn't random in the sense of he knew who she was and had been stalking her when he would see her
Or just obsessed. Maybe they'd exchanged polite words but nobody she knew but maybe would recognize. I still don't get how it's his first crime(if it is)

My other reason for saying gardener landscaper etc is she could run by and he could have left on break or after work and maybe the home owners weren't around and wouldn't notice him being gone for a bit so in way for all they'd know he had an alibi and wouldn't think to turn him in and with those jobs cuts and scrapes would seem not so odd. Then again he could be playing dumb but actually speaks English well. I doubt that though.

It amazes me that both him and vetranos killer did the idiot move of giving DNA so easily.

You think he would talk more if they held off on the murder charge? If he did this- and we know he did- then he knows the outcome and knows they're after the killer. And he knows they have pinned the sexual assault on him. I do believe the guy to be kind of an idiot, as I always suspected, But I'm not sure he's THAT dumb. He'd have to be brain dead not to see and already know where this is going for him.

On the rest of that stuff, I didn't know any of that. Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
The name of the game for LE, is to keep the guy talking.
Playing the "good cop-bad cop" game goes a long way in getting suspects to talk. Many times when someone is charged, that's the end of the talking.They "Lawyer up."
We know he did ask for a Lawyer, but when? Was it in the beginning of the questioning, or after LE showed him their cards?
Sure the DNA proves it was him, and I am convinced that he knew LE knew it too. But the more he talks, the more evidence LE has.
There is nothing stronger than "False Exculpatory Statements" They are far stronger than a confession. The reason is because a good defense lawyer can always claim a defendant was forced into confessing. If a suspect starts lying in order to try and cover up the crime, or his involvement and that can be proven, the jury will be more apt to believe.
"Is he THAT dumb?"
I had a hard time believing that someone could be that dumb to park a car along BSR to begin with. Now, we see that he is still driving the same car. You saw the layout. A car parked there would stick out like a sore thumb, and I still believe that if a cop would have driven past it during the time it was parked there, they would have ran the plate number.
Early said he was talking..
To answer your question, I do believe so. He is that dumb.

My other reason for saying gardener landscaper etc is she could run by and he could have left on break or after work and maybe the home owners weren't around and wouldn't notice him being gone for a bit so in way for all they'd know he had an alibi and wouldn't think to turn him in and with those jobs cuts and scrapes would seem not so odd. Then again he could be playing dumb but actually speaks English well. I doubt that though.
Agreed! I also think he was likely doing that type of work. Also wondering if he could have worked for a delivery service (even though it was a Sunday, lots of places do Sunday deliveries now).

Also, did anyone else catch in that NECN video that the name on the mailbox is Adrian, not Angelo? The neighbor describes him as "living down there with his wife and a couple of kids" so it doesn't sound like another male is living there (I mean, there could be-who knows! a male does answer the door). Maybe Adrian is his alias?

Good catch! It's at 24 secs into the video for anyone who's interested.

The door opened just a little and quickly shut, but it looked like a man answered it to me. So, there could be another man -- Adrian Colon Ortiz -- living their, too. I did a quick search on spokeo.com (not perfect, but there's some decent info avail for free) and, indeed, found an Adrian Ortiz living in Worchester. Might not be the case, but I tend to think that Adrian is not an alias for Angelo, but a relative, and he was the guy who answered the door in the video.

Not sure why my previous comment was deleted, but anyway. I'm very surprised family members, neighbors, etc haven't blown his cover on social media. I'm not surprised that LE hasn't released it, just surprised that it hasn't come out some other way. I'm wondering if family members and friends were asked not to post anything. Does anyone know if that would be a typical request made of family and friends of the killer? No social media imprint is unusual to me. Curious for other people's thoughts on that.

and O/T and kind of corny but I really just want to say thank you to everyone that has posted here since the beginning looking for justice for Vanessa. Posters often disagreed about the evidence/lack of evidence, but I know everyone had their heart in the right place. I am so grateful justice will be done for this girl.
If he has a smart Attorney, I am sure the family was advised not to talk to anyone.
Unlike the suspects family in the KV case.
We should know more as time goes on.
That is unless he pleads guilty tomorrow at his arraignment. Then we may never know much of anything.
If he pleads not guilty, then his case will be bound over to a Grand Jury, followed by Pre Trial Conferences, a Pre Trial Hearing, and then the Trial.
That all takes time.
He may also have the option to have a Bench Trial, meaning that rather than a Jury deciding his fate, a Judge will.

I wonder where he was living at the time of the murder.
It's been 8 months and he has been living here 6.

This is the first thing I
wondered as well when I saw the video a bit ago of the neighbor being interviewed. Of course, a fair number of people don't seem to have a good sense of time, so her "about six months" might be off. However, if she is close to accurate, then I'm dying to know where he was living prior to moving there/when he killed Vanessa.

A kudos to the group collectively, as many of us opined that the monster would probably move soon after the crime. However, most of us (myself included) didn't think he'd make a move that soon. But he's turning out to be even dumber than we suspected. And thank goodness for that, as if he had been even a bit smarter, he'd not still be driving around in the a dark-colored SUV. (Of course, practical matters may have necessitated that -- he may need his vehicle for work.)

Idk i don't like that his mugshot hasn't been released, they got their guy, LE said that. Mass also doesn't have DP, i don't live that. I do have a feeling he may be illegal, i don't like that. Mass has a bill or has passed a bill for sanctuary state, i don't like that. Jmo
No reason not to release mugshot, no reason not to say he is legal at this time, they know that. Jmo

"We got him," Early said.

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2017/04/suspect_arrested_in_killing_of.html

Ortiz has no criminal history. The DA was unsure whether he is a U.S. citizen. *

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4414412/Cops-make-arrest-murder-Google-executive-jogger.html

How did that DA make it out of law school not knowing that in 1917 Puerto Rican's became American citizens? There are multiple Supreme Court cases related to Puerto Rico.
In fact they are so American that 20,000 were drafted to fight in World War 1, 65,000 served in WWII, 61,000 in Korea, 48,000 in Vietnam, and yes they have even fought and died in Iraq and Afgsnistan too. How nice that such a chunk of America is so unaware and ungrateful of their sacrifices that they don't even realize they are American citizens and not remotely illegal.

How did that DA make it out of law school not knowing that in 1917 Puerto Rican's became American citizens? There are multiple Supreme Court cases related to Puerto Rico.
In fact they are so American that 20,000 were drafted to fight in World War 1, 65,000 served in WWII, 61,000 in Korea, 48,000 in Vietnam, and yes they have even fought and died in Iraq and Afgsnistan too. How nice that such a chunk of America is so unaware and ungrateful of their sacrifices that they don't even realize they are American citizens and not remotely illegal.
Has it been confirmed that he is from Puerto Rico?
I know it was mentioned here, but I don't remember seeing that anyplace else.
Ortiz is a Spanish name, meaning he could be from South America, or the Dominican Republic or Haiti, or Spain.
We know now that he is not undocumented, but, if he is from Puerto Rico, it may be at the time of the press conference, the DA did not have that information. I know it took place shortly after his arrest.

I have seen speculation of PR from here, i have not seen conformation from LE that he is PR. Jmo

The murder charge was likely initially withheld because prosecutors were taking further steps to tie the suspect directly to Marcotte’s death and ensure the case is on solid footing first, according to a legal expert.

“They likely brought the initial charges because they believed the evidence was complete in that regard,” said David Yannetti, a criminal defense attorney and former prosecutor. “They are likely holding off on the murder charges to fill in something that is missing. That missing piece is likely prompting them to delay the charge.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/lo...urder_charge_in_jog_slay_awaits_more_evidence

Authorities indicated that Colon-Ortiz is in the country legally when asked by reporters.

“Based on everything we know at this point, he does not appear to be in violation of any immigration laws,” state police spokesman David Procopio said. “There’s no detainer to which we were alerted upon booking him. Homeland Security had no files on him.”

Federal authorities added: “At this point, ICE doesn’t see that we have any interest in this individual. However, our officers will continue to investigate and that may change in the future,” said Shawn Neudauer, spokesman with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

In mid-March, Colon-Ortiz happened to drive past a state trooper, who recognized him from the physical profile. The trooper scribbled Colon-Ortiz’s license plate on his hand. A DNA swab matched.

Parr couldn’t find any paper, so he jotted the license on his hand, went to the correlated address, and left his card, officials said. He went back the next day with another trooper and talked to Colon-Ortiz, who agreed to a DNA swab.

The results came back on Friday. Investigators took Colon-Ortiz in and arrested him early Saturday morning.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...r-princeton/R9Bo9PsFy7Bl3xB7JsaKxM/story.html

Do we have a photo of him yet? Mug shot? I'm so confused. Not that it matters but why the secrecy of it? Usually they parade them out for media to snap photos, release mug shots etc. What if this guy has commited other crimes against woman, and someone can finally say "omg that's the guy who raped me". Jmo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Homeland security not having a retainer on him means nothing. If his record is clean he wouldn't be on their radar, doesn't mean he is legal and doesn't mean he hasn't committed other crime and not been caught. Waiting to see it. Not going to assume from what has been written. Jmo

I'm at work so I can't provide the link, but Amanda Burke, crime and courts reporter, @charlie_acb is tweeting that:
Mark Noonan is the judge, Prosecutors are Assistant District Attorneys Jeffrey Travers and Terry McLaughlin.

Christine Peterson at Worcester Telegram and Gazette (@ChrisPetersonTG) tweeting that Ed Ryan is the defense attorney.

Vanessa's family is sitting front row in the courtroom.

Waiting for the hearing to start......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member