MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #7 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He will be arraigned on Tuesday, yes in Leominster District Court. (VM's home town)
If at that time he is charged with murder, His case will be bound over to Worcester Superior Court.
I find it rather ironic that he was caught this weekend. Monday is the Boston Marathon, and where VM was a Jogger, it is rather fitting.
There are some that are running that race in her name. I can only imagine the strenght this news will give them to keep on running.

How true

Regarding his FB profile....

I entered - Angelo Colon Ortiz Massachusetts - and one hit came back.

He's from Puerto Rico but has his home on FB as Fall River, Massachusetts.

(he may have since moved to Worcester but not updated it...his last profile pic was changed in April 2016)

:thinking:

<modsnip>

As I mentioned early on in this thread, I was deeply affected by this crime. I do not see myself as an amateur sleuth, I am just a person trying to process an evil I will never understand. I appreciate all of the many posters who shared their thoughts along the way. It made me feel like progress was being made.

Amazing work by that MSP trooper!

These are the moments to savor on WS, the kind of moments/developments ("Arrest) we hope for and work for and wait for in soooo many cases...

I never posted in Vanessa's case, but am here to celebrate another killer behind bars.

No doubt he would have done it again, imo....and what else has he done? Again, same thoughts we have when other "such perps" are arrested.

Eta: DNA technology is so amazing!!

The killer-rapist is 31 yrs old. I dont believe he hasnt done this before.

Trooper Robert Parr was a detective on Vanessa's case...he was the one who spotted Ortiz and jotted down the license plate number.

That occurred in March, apparently, and Ortiz's DNA results came back late Friday night/early Saturday morning.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

So good to see DNA and an eagle-eyed Massachusetts State Trooper combine to bring about the first step towards justice for Vanessa Marcotte.

The Boston Globe did report that Parabon technology was used in the case. Between the Parabon profile and the physical description of a potential suspect, it may be possible that area and state police officers had a decent sketch of the man they were looking for-- the description was highly specific.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...r-princeton/R9Bo9PsFy7Bl3xB7JsaKxM/story.html

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...sa-marcotte/FRBcJh2nHc2KddvmmmkMSJ/story.html

Although I live in Los Angeles now, my family is from Massachusetts and I spent my high school, undergrad and grad school years there, and I happen to be there for a few weeks doing research for a book.

Bill Thomas

That amazing state trooper deserves a big award for his eagle-eye and his perseverance in following up his own lead. Being in the right place at the right time and firing on all cylinders was that extra bit needed. I like to think Vanessa herself was guiding this trooper, giving him a nudge to write down that license plate when he saw 2 elements matching the perp (Hispanic male and dark SUV).

It seems the detectives knew early on they were looking for a Hispanic male because the police chief mentioned it during the press conference.

Vibrant Vanessa

1470748438-vanessa-marcotte-730x438.jpg

Not a very bright killer. I have to admit It made me mad when people insinuated he was so clever. He's a moron and he's gonna get what he deserves.

I do have to wonder though- if he was working in the area at the time, matched physical description and had suspect vehicle, why wasn't he caught in LE's initial investigative web?! It doesn't matter now in this case, But for future cases, what, if anything, was overlooked here?

Along those lines, I wonder why Early waited so long to release the witness description of the suspect? Even a vague description may have jogged a memory in a local (Oh, yeah, what about the guy who was with the crew that replaced my roof? Or my landscaper uses a guy that kind of looks like that). As time passed, the likelihood of those connections being made were reduced. And when Early did release the description, it was in the context of the DNA report in Feb. The DNA certainly didn't tell investigators the suspect had an athletic build so the witness saw/recalled enough to make that determination.

Maybe Early felt that the neighborhood canvases would have picked up those connections? Maybe he was afraid the guy would dump the SUV if they showed their hand too much? (I doubt the SUV has any evidentiary value if she was taken directly into the woods) In my mind, once it became apparent they did not have a decent suspect within the first few weeks, it would have made sense to put out what they did have.

On the positive side, it looks like they do have a decent amount of evidence - much more than I thought. Let's just hope the DNA was taken in a manner that cannot be successfully challenged in court. The language barrier could be problematic - hopefully the interpreter was brought it before he signed the consent form.

Along those lines, I wonder why Early waited so long to release the witness description of the suspect? Even a vague description may have jogged a memory in a local (Oh, yeah, what about the guy who was with the crew that replaced my roof? Or my landscaper uses a guy that kind of looks like that). As time passed, the likelihood of those connections being made were reduced. And when Early did release the description, it was in the context of the DNA report in Feb. The DNA certainly didn't tell investigators the suspect had an athletic build so the witness saw/recalled enough to make that determination.

Maybe Early felt that the neighborhood canvases would have picked up those connections? Maybe he was afraid the guy would dump the SUV if they showed their hand too much? (I doubt the SUV has any evidentiary value if she was taken directly into the woods) In my mind, once it became apparent they did not have a decent suspect within the first few weeks, it would have made sense to put out what they did have.

On the positive side, it looks like they do have a decent amount of evidence - much more than I thought. Let's just hope the DNA was taken in a manner that cannot be successfully challenged in court. The language barrier could be problematic - hopefully the interpreter was brought it before he signed the consent form.
I can't say for sure, but, that "vague" description could have very well threw people off in an entirely different direction as well. I think the reason he waited to release the description is because after receiving the results from Parabon, he had two sources pointing in the same direction.( Witness description, and Parabon Snapshot.)
If you recall, LE not only canvassed the area, but also did a DNA Dragnet, so LE must have been thinking he may be living in the neighborhood, and not just working there.

So as far as we know right now the person arrested was not known by Vanessa? No known motive and no idea how this happened? so glad he is behind bars so he can't hurt another innocent woman. It just breaks my heart that there are such evil people in this world.&#128546; RIP Vanessa

I can't say for sure, but, that "vague" description could have very well threw people off in an entirely different direction as well. I think the reason he waited to release the description is because after receiving the results from Parabon, he had two sources pointing in the same direction.( Witness description, and Parabon Snapshot.)
If you recall, LE not only canvassed the area, but also did a DNA Dragnet, so LE must have been thinking he may be living in the neighborhood, and not just working there.

Good points. I was quite shocked to learn anyone had laid eyes on the suspect. I thought they had just seen the SUV. Given that the trooper was able to make the connection between a random Hispanic male operating a dark SUV in Worcester and the suspect in this case, I wonder if there is something unique about the vehicle or the suspect.

And happy to see you are posting again Rocky1. I thought you and ForensicMass had some very thoughtful, useful exchanges over the course of the winter.

(Your member name is cool.)

That amazing state trooper deserves a big award for his eagle-eye and his perseverance in following up his own lead. Being in the right place at the right time and firing on all cylinders was that extra bit needed. I like to think Vanessa herself was guiding this trooper, giving him a nudge to write down that license plate when he saw 2 elements matching the perp (Hispanic male and dark SUV).

It seems the detectives knew early on they were looking for a Hispanic male because the police chief mentioned it during the press conference.

LE did real good for Vanessa. Pina Coladas on me! Justice will be served but it is a sad replacement for all that was VM.

the detectives knew early on they were looking for a Hispanic male

The phrase "knew early on" is a subjective time frame. One of the first persons LE visited for a buccal swab was Mr. White Socks who is obviously a young white male. I posted the sketch of the alleged killer when it was released. It will be interesting to see how closely they match.

I yet to see any photo of the suspect. Anyone find any? I suppose we will know Tuesday.

I am so glad we have an arrest. I hope this guy is swiftly dealt with by the the courts and the family and friends of Vanessa are spared further pain.

This was a case that got under my skin. Already quite an insomniac, I burnt the midnight oil on street view, property records and SM etc... My personal theory was a stranger taking advantage of a lone female but the burning really disturbed me...and stayed with me.

Hope she is resting with more peace now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member