Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jane Tanner saw a man carrying a child at 9.30.
Matthew Oldfield checked on the children at 9.30 but didn’t actually see Madeleine.
Kate check at 10pm and noticed she’d gone.

So abduction time between 9.15 and 10pm?
If only Jane Tanner was able to speak to the man and check who he was carrying..

So we have two sightings of a man carrying a sleeping child. Tannerman and Smithman. One man game forward, who wasn’t the GP that Gerry player tennis with.
Is it possible they both saw the same man? How reliable are the statements?
Seeing a man carrying a child wouldn’t draw suspicion.

I’d guess Praia da luz is a fairly small town, so the locals must know each other you would assume? Can anyone confirm where CN was?

Does anyone know how many people were staying in the hotel then? Early may so wouldn’t think it would have been that full.
Think one of the holidaymakers estimated about 60 guests staying there.

As for being the same man, the Tanner and Smith sightings were about 45 mins apart and heading in opposite directions away from the hotel so unlikely to be the same person.

Matthew Oldfield checked on the children at 9.30 but didn’t actually see Madeleine.

If only Jane Tanner was able to speak to the man and check who he was carrying..

I was thinking about the confession - I wonder what proof was provided to the police by the drinking companion? They couldn't just take his word for it.
The confession is what's known as a tip, or a fresh lead. It gives a reason to start investigating someone, as opposed to, for example, randomly drawing a name out of a hat, or throwing darts at a sheet of names of men who were in the area at the time of a crime. As police investigated, things began to match up, and in particular they were able to convict him on a very serious case of sexual assault.

Last edited:
So we have two sightings of a man carrying a sleeping child. Tannerman and Smithman. One man game forward, who wasn’t the GP that Gerry player tennis with.
Is it possible they both saw the same man? How reliable are the statements?
Seeing a man carrying a child wouldn’t draw suspicion.

I’d guess Praia da luz is a fairly small town, so the locals must know each other you would assume? Can anyone confirm where CN was?

Does anyone know how many people were staying in the hotel then? Early may so wouldn’t think it would have been that full.
I'm thinking they were not the same man since the two sightings were about a half an hour apart. The British tourist was walking to his friend's house and the second man was seen walking towards the beach, if I remember correctly. The man that Smith saw had light brown hair, which matches the suspect.

I don't know how many people were at the resort, but many knew the McCanns just by socializing with them and their kids playing together. Word spread fast that a child was missing and many of them joined in the search, as well as the locals.

One of the problems early on in the investigation was that not all the guests in the resort were interviewed right away.

Imo

Last edited:
I keep coming back to the pair who broke in and stole the video camera. They took that information to the police eventually but why on earth would they leave that evidence to be destroyed? Did CB pay them off? They weren’t exactly close, evidently. I just think you’d keep something like that very close to your chest even if only for blackmail purposes.

Probably way off track here but what if they wanted to grass CB up for what he did but wanted to keep quiet about something they may have been caught on the film doing?? By saying the tape was destroyed they can throw shade at CB but protect themselves?

She did not know yet that she was missing. She remembered seeing the man the next day. He turned out to be the British tourist. Imo

I believe pigs don't eat teeth either.

Partly true ..... they will eat them but not digest them ..... same as small bone fragments ... will pass thru the animal and forensics can still identify DNA & dental records .... good example is Robert Pickton ... he murdered 49 prostitutes and fed remains to his pigs ..... police spent many months screening the dirt on his farm and were successful in identifying most victims .... horrible story .... not only that , he butchered the pigs and sold the meat to his friends and neighbors .... they still gag and puke to this day.

trivia: .... decomposed bodies in the wilderness or remote areas ...... the local carnivores will have scavenged practically all the remains except the skull and that is why they are eventually "found" ... for some reason even large animals like bears will not crush & eat the skull.

Probably way off track here but what if they wanted to grass CB up for what he did but wanted to keep quiet about something they may have been caught on the film doing?? By saying the tape was destroyed they can throw shade at CB but protect themselves?

Maybe. You think maybe the broke in specifically for the camera?

If they are planning a burglary, it's stuff like time - check, nobody will get hurt - check, nervousness - check, those sort of conversations can go on for a long time. CB was probably used to it all, where as his 'look out', party to the criminal activity, say it's his first time, so probably needs loads of reassurance.

I'm wondering if LE is being a big cagey with the mention of a phone call and number. Could the long conversation have actually been an early type of video call or Skype? Perhaps if there was an "insider" they could have been providing close to real-time video to CB. If not Skype, and if there were an accomplice working at the Tapas bar, he could have kept the call active and on speakerphone (in pocket/apron, etc.) to be less conspicuous as he mentioned the group's movements.

P.S. It looks like Skype wasn't available as a mobile app in May,2007, as it was launched in October of that year, but perhaps there was a beta version available or they had another niche-specific app available. Or not. IMO

I'm far from up to date on all the MM story, so apologies if this was ruled out.

The story of the masked man going into the apartments and sitting on childrens beds?
Did masked predator kidnap Madeleine? | Daily Mail Online

And also this today, from Anthony Summers. co-author of the book "Looking For Madeline" re the Ocean Club employee who had CB's telephone number.

"Christian B himself had been a waiter at some point. We don't know whether he'd been a waiter at the Ocean Club, but he'd been a waiter and knew other waiters that could have known there was an entry in the reservations book.

"Did he learn from somebody who was complicit, not necessarily at all in abducting or murdering Madeleine, but perhaps in how to take advantage of people being away to rob an apartment?

"Was there an accomplice in that respect on the staff of the Ocean Club?"

Madeleine McCann: Suspect Christian B was 'tipped off by Praia da Luz hotel worker'

The first story reminded of this statement from Pamela Fenn. The thing that struck me when I read it is why a child would call Daddy? Rather than Mummy? In the night, it made me wonder if a man was present in the room.
P.J. POLICE FILES: MRS PAMELA FENN STATEMENT

I’m new so I hope it’s ok to post the link as I did.

He seems clever because he’s got away with a lot - it would appear - but the more I think of how stupid or at least narcissistic you have to be to show someone a video of you committing violent sexual crime, the more I wonder if he did give away much more of himself that night. We know he had a drug and alcohol habit that no doubt intensified as they often do - he could’ve been battered.

So the phone call was made by the hotel employee? That would seem to be very incriminating evidence if he called the suspect to give him that information. Maybe LE doesn't have solid evidence yet to connect him directly to the crime. It sounds like they are really close, though.

The articles I’ve read around this seem to be implying the Diogo Silva is the employee - I never saw that corroborated - but if he did work there, on May 3rd 2007, and he did have CBS number and they did talk prior the abduction, that’s huge except the only source I’m hearing for it is a Portuguese newspaper.

From Sky - re: the inside man.

“Police have identified the Ocean Club employee who passed the information on to Christian B, said the newspaper Correio de Manha.”

Here they directly link the inside
man to the number released last week which - by all accounts - appeared to belong to Diogo Silva.

...”It also reported that the employee had Christian B's mobile phone number in his own phone.

Last week, the phone number was issued by Scotland Yard and German detectives in a public appeal for information about the suspect.”

The implication here is that Diogo Silva worked at the Ocean Club, that they’ve seen Diogo’s phone contacts and that he was passing information to CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Before.the.dawn