Madeleine McCann: German Prisoner Identified as Suspect, #37

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mex - I have his release date in 2026 - but no month or day.

So - they are still deciding whether this case (5 of them) will be tried somewhere else or not. Surely it doesn't take this long to decide?

It’s an appeal to a higher court on the procedural issue so it might take a while. I don’t know if the court even heard the appeal yet.

It’s an appeal to a higher court on the procedural issue so it might take a while. I don’t know if the court even heard the appeal yet.

Thanks - slow justice....

In accord with any other police investigation - when there is no longer any more evidence available to continue investigating.

Right

But what can they be investigating exactly?

What can they be working on each day?

We understand that the latest search was a new tip. But aside from getting new tips, its hard to imagine what they can work on for another year or more?

<modsnip - quoted post was off topic>

This is why i feel it is likely to be wound down in the next financial year if it isn't close to charging.

For those who have followed the Morphew case, while it is still active, in reality they need the body. It isn't feasible to be out there every day looking for the body. So after some years, you run out of things to work on, unless/until a tip drops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right

We understand that the latest search was a new tip. But aside from getting new tips, its hard to imagine what they can work on for another year or more?
The police can seldom have been been hounded by speculation about an active investigation in the way in which they have been throughout this one.

In fact I can't think of one.

Particularly one which has in its time been subject to three forces participating with only the initial investigators widely peer acknowledged to have botched the case right from the word go is the only one to have escaped public opprobrium.

Scotland Yard have been widely criticised as have the Bundeskriminalamt both of whom have a mandate, expertise and resources in international cases such as MM's
My opinion

The Bundeskriminalamt has also been assigned the task of promoting police co-operation in Europe and throughout the world as a legal mandate. After all, national borders should not be an obstacle in the fight against crime.

All official communications between the German police and other countries are routed through the Bundeskriminalamt. This makes it possible to compile important information and ensure uniform application of legal provisions. The BKA acts as the national central office for Interpol, Europol and the Schengen Information System.

The BKA investigates outstanding cases of international crime as defined by law either on its own initiative, or whenever a public prosecutor's office puts it in charge of such investigations due to the significance of the criminal offence in question.

The BKA is also responsible for protecting the members of the constitutional organs of the Federation.

<quoted post was removed>

The reality is, if there are no active avenues to investigate resource will be reassigned to other crimes - of which germany has no shortage

So my question remains - what do you think BKA can actually still be working on, if they are not moving to charge soon? How many more times can they interview the same witnesses?

The reality is, if there are no active avenues to investigate resource will be reassigned to other crimes - of which germany has no shortage

So my question remains - what do you think BKA can actually still be working on, if they are not moving to charge soon? How many more times can they interview the same witnesses?
How on earth should I know what they are working on? We were recently directed to consider events in Australia in another long term missing child case which has only just resulted in charges being brought or about to be brought after many years. What do you think they’ve been spending all these years doing? Interviewing the same witnesses over and over again? We civilians cannot know what the police are doing <modsnip - reference was removed>

How on earth should I know what they are working on? We were recently directed to consider events in Australia in another long term missing child case which has only just resulted in charges being brought or about to be brought after many years. What do you think they’ve been spending all these years doing? Interviewing the same witnesses over and over again? We civilians cannot know what the police are doing <modsnip - reference was removed>
As I mentioned in the OG post, the investigation was reopened in 2020. Given some of the strictest lockdown conditions, the Australian investigators appear to be ready to charge in three years. It has to be said that there are parallels between the two cases, nevertheless, I did state it was off topic.

None of us know what the police of three nations are doing in relation to the MM case or even if there are any offshoot to be considered. That isn't speculation. It is the fact of the matter.

Just because observers may be bored and anxious for immediate conclusions in this long running investigation does not make the dutiful efforts of investigators redundant in any way.
My opinion

Hounded? They have the full support of mass media all over the world behind them. Unanimous support.
This is a fair assessment. I made the point before that there is hardly ever any negative reporting on the McCanns or, by association, the German investigation.

Considering the six-year investigation and the dramatic PR campaign, I find this hard to understand how this is the case.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in the OG post, the investigation was reopened in 2020. Given some of the strictest lockdown conditions, the Australian investigators appear to be ready to charge in three years. It has to be said that there are parallels between the two cases, nevertheless, I did state it was off topic.
Whilst there may be parallels between cases it’s also important to remember that all cases are different. Some take a week to solve, some a year, some three years, some ten years, some twenty, thirty or forty years to solve. Some are never solved despite the best efforts. <modsnip - reference was removed> IMO.

Reactions: Mex
We can only speculate as to the delays can’t we? We’re not privy to anything that hasn’t been put on public record by any LE or teased in the press by any journo.

I haven’t given up all hope on the soil samples yet, I would expect detailed examination takes longer than a few weeks. Vaguely recall reading that there are 1000s of specific pollen signatures to be differentiated. There might be very specific micro analyses required going on the forensic soil detectives links in the last thread.

In light of the initial findings though, I am musing if there will be any further searches in connection with the apparent tip. Might be overly optimistic of me on that one.

This is a fair assessment. I made the point before that there is hardly ever any negative reporting on the McCanns or, by association, the German investigation.

Considering the six-year investigation and the dramatic PR campaign, I find this hard to understand how this is the case.
What, after 16 years, do you think the media should be reporting negatively about the McCanns out of interest? If you were the editor of the Independent what in-depth critical investigation into them and their lives would you commission for your readers?

Right

It's clear to me that wolters thinks he might find human remains...thsts a totaly good reason to.take as long as he can

We can only speculate as to the delays can’t we? We’re not privy to anything that hasn’t been put on public record by any LE or teased in the press by any journo.

I haven’t given up all hope on the soil samples yet, I would expect detailed examination takes longer than a few weeks. Vaguely recall reading that there are 1000s of specific pollen signatures to be differentiated. There might be very specific micro analyses required going on the forensic soil detectives links in the last thread.

In light of the initial findings though, I am musing if there will be any further searches in connection with the apparent tip. Might be overly optimistic of me on that one.

Like you, I don't think we can be the judge of whatever steps the investigators choose to follow because we simply don't have the information to enable us to know for sure.

In saying that, the investigation doesn't have prior knowledge of whether or not information of any kind will be of value until it has been checked out.

Like you, I don't think we can be the judge of whatever steps the investigators choose to follow because we simply don't have the information to enable us to know for sure.

In saying that, the investigation doesn't have prior knowledge of whether or not information of any kind will be of value until it has been checked out.
Agree. It can be a bit Family Fortunes on the speculation here, and I’m only speaking about myself. Guess-hazarding, and trying to read between the lines.

Reactions: Mex
What, after 16 years, do you think the media should be reporting negatively about the McCanns out of interest? If you were the editor of the Independent what in-depth critical investigation into them and their lives would you commission for your readers?
Nobody's remotely interested in their personal lives, and they've said almost nothing about the German investigation (so there's nothing really to comment about there imo). But there are questions as yet unanswered about previous events which - as Sunday Times journalists quickly discovered - can't be asked. Neither can they be discussed here I'm sure. They will always exist though.

Whilst there may be parallels between cases it’s also important to remember that all cases are different. Some take a week to solve, some a year, some three years, some ten years, some twenty, thirty or forty years to solve. Some are never solved despite the best efforts. <modsnip - reference was removed> IMO.

I agree this is true. Cases go cold. They are sometimes reopened for a fresh look - lots of things can be going on.

What I am trying to get at is for how much longer can we entertain the idea that they are quietly building the case behind the scenes?

e.g. If we go another year with no charges, do you think it could still be maintained that everything is fine and they are just taking their time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member