Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just catching up on this new thread and I see the bickering has started - fairly standard procedure when big news slows down. Let's just remember it will take a long time for the police to work through all the apparently new victims, clues and tip offs. We are not entitled to ongoing updates in a criminal investigation. Chill.

You should NEVER do that with rags like the Daily Mail! The situation is ambiguous as it wasn't made clear when the PJ ruled it out. The DM was only quoting from another newspaper which also said that the PJ had made no statement.
It would be interesting to know more details from this investigation.
And hear PJ's feedback. If any.

You should NEVER do that with rags like the Daily Mail! The situation is ambiguous as it wasn't made clear when the PJ ruled it out. The DM was only quoting from another newspaper which also said that the PJ had made no statement.
Duplicate. Sorry. Deleted.

Last edited:
There was an article a few days ago which said they'd had 400 tips since going public, no doubt there are even more by now. They will have to work through every single one very carefully which could take weeks/months eliminate or corroborate any evidence.
Indeed. It's unrealistic to expect to hear about any major developments within days.
"It is actually like this — we have a specific suspect, we know the name, we have a picture,(mb) we know where he is at the moment, namely in custody in Germany, and we actually have findings that suggest that he is Madeleine McCann's murderer"

"picture" as literally or an impression?
Madeleine McCann: German police reportedly pursue connection between case and another - CNN
Yes, I did wonder what was meant by that too. Maybe just a turn of phrase? Interesting if they mean a physical picture of something though.
The only way to be sure of this would be to ask the speaker directly.
The language barrier creates difficulties in this case as translations can be ambiguous, or unreliable in various ways.

It also looked strange as it was written in quotation marks on the translated copy I saw. Plus it was the only english word used in the original german transcript which made it seem like a name rather the literal meaning. From what I've seen since, it appears the Germans use the english word rather than their own version of it but non-german speakers aren't going to know that.

I honestly believe this is a case of crossed wires with no ill intent meant.

There are tons of English words that are used in almost every or every language. For most of those words there is no "own version". Like the word "computer". That is used all over the world and there is no "own word" in any language for it. At least not that I know of. It's called "loan word" and you have them in English as well. Many of them. Even German ones. Kindergarten. Gesundheit. Doppelgänger. Poltergeist.

Looks like I'm wrong about that but I considered that common knowledge. You will see a lot of English loan words in German, and even the young generation these days use English words that are not really loan words like the word "nice" in German sentences.

Last edited:
The Scum again ( unfortunately). Someone linked it a while back.

Madeleine McCann prosecutors call on Sun readers to help them nail prime suspect

“I don’t know if we will ever find her body. The evidence we have points to her death but I cannot tell you all what we know.

“All I can tell you is that we are sure she died in Portugal but I am not able to go into specific details.

“We haven’t interviewed our suspect because we don’t want to talk about the evidence we have with him but if he wants to talk to us then we would be very interested.”

The suspect is known to have videoed a previous rape victim and Mr Wolters said he could not rule out something similar in their Madeleine investigation.

He said: “It is possible that our suspect filmed something in connection with Madeleine but we haven’t got direct evidence that he did.'

Point to her death, sure it was in Portugal but only possible it was filmed....?!

Sure makes me wonder what evidence they have! "Filmed something in connection"... makes me wonder what they think he might have filmed. :(

Indeed. It's unrealistic to expect to hear about any major developments within days.

The only way to be sure of this would be to ask the speaker directly.
The language barrier creates difficulties in this case as translations can be ambiguous, or unreliable in various ways.

I agree - "Picture" could have meant imagination, idea, perception, presentation, notion if the word vorstellung had been used.

Otherwise das foto, photo - for photograph.

Who knows what the Sun knows, if anything...
I suppose people can go to the newspapers rather than the Police, anonymous tip offs for example.
I imagine they are just trying to keep the case public, hence the headlines.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but as Cherwell says upthread, translations can be tricky both in language and meaning.
It's all so frustrating at this point until we know more! :)

It's completely clear from the context yet again "we have a name, we have a picture, we know where HE is", doesn't make any sense that they are talking about just any picture in this context. What they mean is "we know who he is because we have his name and his picture (we know what he looks like)".

And picture = photo as well.

I agree - "Picture" could have meant imagination, idea, perception, presentation, notion if the word vorstellung had been used.

Otherwise das foto, photo - for photograph.
Yes. It's a tricky business - this sleuthing!

I'm guilty of trawling too - it's only human nature! I have been pondering over the Telegraph though - last week they said about the tel numbers released.................
"Yesterday Portuguese media reported that one of the numbers was linked to a local bar manager who had worked in the area in the catering business back in 2007.

But the Telegraph contacted the family of the man, who denied ever knowing Bruckner and insisted he did not recognise the mobile phone number."

It's completely clear from the context yet again "we have a name, we have a picture, we know where HE is", doesn't make any sense that they are talking about just any picture in this context. What they mean is "we know who he is because we have his name and his picture (we know what he looks like)".
And picture = photo as well.

Was he speaking in English or German?

I'm guilty of trawling too - it's only human nature! I have been pondering over the Telegraph though - last week they said about the tel numbers released.................
"Yesterday Portuguese media reported that one of the numbers was linked to a local bar manager who had worked in the area in the catering business back in 2007.
But the Telegraph contacted the family of the man, who denied ever knowing Bruckner and insisted he did not recognise the mobile phone number."

That's what I'd say to any newspaper reporter who was harassing me.

Seriously, the whole German/English thing is not rocket science, it's totally possible to translate things in a way that are very exact and it is done every day. People are just getting too caught up with this - "oh, because it's a translation it could mean something else". In most cases it just means what it means, nothing is lost in translation. No overthinking necessary.

I really can't believe that that the Germans would say that they have a photograph of CB when they actually have him in jail! That sounds just ludicrous to me.

I really can't believe that that the Germans would say that they have a photograph of CB when they actually have him in jail! That sounds just ludicrous to me.

I give up. It's meant in the sense of "we know exactly who he is, what he looks like and where he is". I'm guessing it's worded this way because of the German laws where they didn't or couldn't give his name or show his picture, sorry, photo. The (foreign) media did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luisgill