Malaysia airlines 370 with 239 people on board, 8 March 2014 #25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember, ATSB was not the one who released the info in the first place that the ship had diverted off its course. Maybe we weren't supposed to find out or maybe the ship did it on their own or maybe this Dr Cole was mistaken.

If it is true, I remember that the north side of the Broken Ridge was a good possibility from awhile back and Broken Ridge is just north of their search area.

See my post #1752
This change of mission was detected by Dr. Richard Cole, of University College, London, who has been following the search operation for many months via satellite tracking

I know it came from someone else, but you figure they would say something

Sky News U.K. is reporting that the joint agency co-ordination centre in Australia has announced the search for flight MH370 has ended. The victims families are "dismayed" by the decision.

I'm very sad to post this news especially for the 239 families. But I can understand the search ending if they have no idea where to search and millions of dollars have been spent. The search couldn't continue indefinitely and I think the searchers tried their best given they had no idea where the plane actually crashed.

The offical statement press release from the Malaysian, Chinese and Australian authorities

http://www.mh370.gov.my/phocadownload/News/MH370 Joint Communique' - 17th Jan 2017.pdf

Heard the news on The Today Show this morning that the search is over for now.
I know it had to end but the finality is hard to accept.

It must be devastating for the families who have prayed that their love ones could be brought back home.

I believe it's also devastating for the search crews who have all put their lives on hold while hoping they could find the missing plane and bring closure to the families.

Prayers to all.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...th-no-plane-few-answers/ar-AAlVSf3?li=BBnb7Kz

Sky News U.K. is reporting that the joint agency co-ordination centre in Australia has announced the search for flight MH370 has ended. The victims families are "dismayed" by the decision.

I'm very sad to post this news especially for the 239 families. But I can understand the search ending if they have no idea where to search and millions of dollars have been spent. The search couldn't continue indefinitely and I think the searchers tried their best given they had no idea where the plane actually crashed.

The offical statement press release from the Malaysian, Chinese and Australian authorities

http://www.mh370.gov.my/phocadownload/News/MH370 Joint Communique' - 17th Jan 2017.pdf

Copied the main part of your PDF for anyone on a cell that would like to read it. It says the search vessel left the area, I wonder if that's true, or if they are still at the new location being paid for by Boeing. It would make no sense to me to have them go in then back out to search again. Maybe I'm just hopeful that Boeing will take over the private search like the article previously posted 1/1/17 that I'm linking to below.

The official statement press release from the Malaysian, Chinese and Australian authorities

Today the last search vessel has left the underwater search area. Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has not been located in the 120,000 square-kilometre underwater search area in the southern Indian Ocean.
Despite every effort using the best science available, cutting edge technology, as well as modelling and advice from highly skilled professionals who are the best in their field, unfortunately, the search has not been able to locate the aircraft.
Accordingly, the underwater search for MH370 has been suspended.
The decision to suspend the underwater search has not been taken lightly nor without sadness. It is consistent with decisions made by our three countries in the July 2016 Ministerial Tripartite meeting in Putrajaya Malaysia.
Whilst combined scientific studies have continued to refine areas of probability, to date no new information has been discovered to determine the specific location of the aircraft.

Quest for MH370 answers far from over as Boeing predicted to take over search - January 1, 20178:39pm
Aviation expert John Goglia, a safety consultant and former member of the National Transportation Safety Board, said while the current search led by Australia is winding down the quest for answers is far from over.

“The search will continue ... but it will be a privately run,” he said with most likely Boeing taking the lead.

“It’ll be smaller and more focused but that’s probably better.”

Boeing was not available for comment yesterday.

Thanks sis!
I feel really bad for the family of Captain Zaharie Shah because as his sister says in the article you posted, there will be finger pointing at him. Until the plane is found we are totally clueless what happened. About the only thing that can be said for sure is that the plane was not landed due to the wing flap being found. The wing flap is a part of the flight controls not controlled by the automatic pilot, it is activated only by the pilot and only during takeoff and landing. After weeks of examination investigators established that the recovered flap had not been deployed; meaning no one tried to land in the water. Going to add the article below that has the wing flap and how they did the testing to figure out where the debris came from. It's been posted before but I wanted to bring it back up for anyone that missed it.

After 3 years, MH370 search ends with no plane, few answers.

The transport ministers of those countries reiterated that decision Tuesday in the joint communique issued by the Joint Agency Coordination Center in Australia that announced the search for Flight 370 — and the 239 people aboard the aircraft — had been suspended.

"Despite every effort using the best science available, cutting-edge technology, as well as modeling and advice from highly skilled professionals who are the best in their field, unfortunately, the search has not been able to locate the aircraft," said the agency, which helped lead the hunt for the Boeing 777 in remote waters west of Australia.

"Accordingly, the underwater search for MH370 has been suspended. The decision to suspend the underwater search has not been taken lightly nor without sadness."

Relatives of those lost on the plane, which vanished during a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, responded largely with outrage. A support group, Voice 370, issued a statement saying that extending the search is "an inescapable duty owed to the flying public."

Without understanding what happened to the plane, there's a "good chance that this could happen in the future," said K.S. Narendran, a member of the group <snip>

<snip>There is the possibility that a private donor could offer to bankroll a new search, or that Malaysia will kick in fresh funds. But no one has stepped up yet, raising the bleak possibility that the world's greatest aviation mystery may never be solved.<snip>

In December, the transport bureau announced that a review of the data used to estimate where the plane crashed, coupled with new information on ocean currents, strongly suggested that the plane hit the water in an area directly north of the search zone.

Officials investigating the plane's disappearance recommended that search crews head north to a new 25,000-square-kilometer (9,700-square-mile) area identified in a recent analysis as where the plane most likely crashed. But Australia's government rejected that recommendation, saying the results of the experts' analysis weren't precise enough to justify continuing the hunt.<snip>

The sister of the pilot, Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, slammed authorities for ending the search without settling the mystery, saying her brother will not be absolved of suspicions he deliberately crashed the plane.

"How can they end the search like that? There will be finger-pointing again," Sakinab Shah said.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/3-years-mh370-search-ends-no-plane-few-060925814.html

Scientists Say They Know Where MH370 Is—Just as Money Runs Out to Find It - With $150 million spent looking in the wrong place, scientists are now sure they know the right place. But will Malaysia fund a new search? - By Clive Irving 01.05.17 1:02 AM ET

<snip> The chance discovery of debris, beginning in the summer of 2015, has transformed the quality of the information available for the calculations. For the first time there was physical evidence, and it brought a new confidence to the analysis that could not be achieved using computer simulations alone. Although all the pieces of debris were thousands of miles apart when they washed up they had—obviously—all started their voyage at the same place, the X point. Not just at the same place, but at the same time. The time was already known, and that has become essential to the new calculations.

Looking at the distribution of the debris, the scientists realized that—given access to data already gathered by a number of ocean-monitoring organizations across the world—it could be possible to create a picture of the exact state of the seas in that region of the southern Indian Ocean as they were in March 2014 and extend it for months afterward into other parts of the Indian Ocean.

<snip> One of these was our own National Oceanic and Atmosphere Organization, NOAA, and very early on it was NOAA that provided a breakthrough. At any one time the agency has many hundreds of buoys, called GDP drifters, scattered across the world’s oceans collecting data on sea conditions and behavior—including data that has helped to build a detailed picture of climate change.

When the Australian scientists began trying to recreate the forces at work in the area of the 7th arc in March 2014 they realized that by pure luck there were at that moment two NOAA drifters in the water at the northern end of arc. Their data, once retrieved, revealed that there were strong influences that would have steered debris north and west—away from the coast of Western Australia and toward Africa. (NOAA has since donated 10 drifters to the project as well as complete access to its huge archive of data.)

A second break came in June 2016, with the discovery of one of the largest pieces of debris, a wing flap, on a beach of Pemba Island, off the coast of Tanzania. Its significance was not just related to the tracking of the paths taken by debris.

A wing flap is a part of the flight controls not controlled by the automatic pilot—it is activated only by the pilot and only during takeoff and landing. One of the unknowns limiting Boeing’s simulation of how the jet had finally plunged into the ocean was whether it had been under human command—this affected the final trajectory and therefore how close to the 7th arc it hit the water.

After weeks of examination investigators established that the recovered flap had not been deployed,
making it possible to reduce the estimate of the impact point to 25 miles on each side of the arc.

The first piece of debris to be found was another, smaller part of the wing’s control surfaces called a flaperon (one that constantly moves during a flight commanded by the automatic pilot) that turned up on a beach on La Reunion Island in July 2015. It is significant for other reasons and has inspired the most improvised experiment of the program, requiring carpentry rather than telemetry.

Six near-replicas of the flaperon were made of wood and steel. They were life-sized and close to the actual shape, with ballast added to replicate the right weight. They were fitted with motion sensors and GPS trackers and launched into the waters of a bay near the CSIRO’s laboratories at Hobart in Tasmania, and monitored in two one-hour immersions on each of eight days of experiments.

The behavior of the replicas in the water—how they floated, depending on which side was up, how wind and wave action affected their speed—was compared to the data received from the drifter buoys in the open ocean. The experiment showed that the flaperons moved faster than the buoys. A few months later more tests were carried out in the open ocean, including tests with replicas of two smaller pieces of debris.

The results of the tests using debris replicas and data gathered from drifters was combined with a detailed history of the main steering currents in the Indian Ocean gathered from satellites for more than a year after the airplane disappeared. The arrival time of the flaperon on the beach at La Reunion, July 31, 2015, then took a significant role. The flaperon was found 509 days after the crash. By retrieving the day-by-day historical record of the ocean conditions for that period and tracking the debris’ likely path in reverse the scientists realized that it must have originated at a point further north than the area being searched.

I can't imagine what the 239 families are going through not knowing where the plane crashed and why and having no remains to have a funeral and grieve. Many of the families still don't believe the plane crashed and think their loved ones are still alive and they will come home one day.

It is awful that Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah or the Co-pilot Fariq Hamid are being blamed for possibly crashing the plane deliberately when it may just have been a tragic mechanical failure. It must be very hard for their families as well as the families of the crew and passengers.

I really hope this isn't the end of the road and a miracle breakthrough will occur in time to find the main wreckage.

Thank you to all of you for posting news and discussing any developments since this tragedy occurred it is much appreciated. I will of course keep posting here if there are any developments.

I would also like to thank everyone here who has diligently kept the thread up to date. I am gobsmacked that the plane has not been found almost 3 years later!

I really hope this isn't The End.

Here are links with pictures from January 30, 2017 which describe airplane parts found on the morning of Jan 27. They may or may not be from MH370. These large items found by a local person washed up on a beach on the Transkei coast near East London" in southeastern South Africa..

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/ca...ible-mh370-part-found-on-south-african-beach/

http://www.ibtimes.com/possible-mh3...ate-plane-wreckage-washed-beach-south-2483452

Here is a link to an Aircraft forum where they are already trying to identify the parts.

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=185829

Back on Dec 22 2016, another good sized piece of debris was found on a beach at Mossel Bay which is a harbor town on the Southern Cape of South Africa by Albie Morkel, a famous South African cricket player, and his son. This is the same area when the tiny piece of the Rolls Royce engine cowling was found.

Link and picture -

http://www.heraldlive.co.za/news/2016/12/29/albie-morkel-found-clue-missing-flight-mh370-mossel-bay/

Awesome!

Albie Morkel&#8217;s son, AJ, with the object they found on the beach in Mossel Bay. The former Proteas all-rounder believes it may be from missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370
Picture: Albie Morkel

Albie-Morkel-MH370.jpeg

Awesome!

Albie Morkel’s son, AJ, with the object they found on the beach in Mossel Bay. The former Proteas all-rounder believes it may be from missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370
Picture: Albie Morkel

Albie-Morkel-MH370.jpeg

What part of the plane would this be?
Part of the body?

Not sure, could be part of a wing

Yes, you are probably right.
This was in link previously posted.

&#8220;It looked to me as if it belonged to an airplane&#8218; so I took it home and posted the photo on Facebook&#8218;&#8221; he said&#8218; adding that he could not believe the response generated by his post. Observers suggested it could be part of a wing fragment.

Families are trying to raise funds for a private search.
Two new pieces of debris were apparently found two weeks ago but I haven't found any more details.

The families of those onboard missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 launched efforts Saturday to raise at least $15 million to fund a private search as they marked the third anniversary of the plane's disappearance.

So far, Liow said, 27 pieces of debris have been found, including two new pieces found off Africa about two weeks ago.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...m-raise-50-million-search-flight-370-45905148

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2017/02/28/liow-two-more-pieces-of-mh370-debris-found/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BranVan