Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed.

But IDK. I would think some reporters would have reported if they had fished things out of the ocean, or if they had definitively seen things from the plane in the ocean, like seats or something of the sort.

I think they're pretty certain they've found some wreckage and that's exactly what they want to avoid - it being released by a journo on a plane/ship rather than an official statement. The satellite data and modelling gives them enough to go on to make the announcement with certainty before they retrieve the debris JMO

It is good to have news at last, the families can now begin to grieve and accept what happened.
The long wait must have added so much extra trauma to the families.

Did I just see that these families were notified by text that their loved ones were lost??? Please tell me that is not true. Please tell me someone has a brain that is dealing with this crisis.

Forgive the autocorrect. Tapatalk has a mind of its own. :)

I think they're pretty certain they've found some wreckage and that's exactly what they want to avoid - it being released by a journo on a plane/ship rather than an official statement. The satellite data and modelling gives them enough to go on to make the announcement with certainty before they retrieve the debris JMO

exactly that

Yes, that's a very good point.

I know sending a text message could seem insensitive but I think they had to make an announcement as fast as possible before they heard it any other way?

:please: They have to find any kind of debris from this plane today, they just have to. :please:

I think they are going to today. It was probably best for them to inform the family before making an announcement that they found debris from the plane.

Malaysian PM: Flight 'ended in southern Indian Ocean'

Aircraft went down over southern Indian Ocean, PM says

Author: By Michael Pearson and Jethro Mullen CNN

Published On: Mar 24 2014 12:28:54 AM EDT Updated 14 m

(CNN) -
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 went down over the southern Indian Ocean, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said Monday, citing a new analysis of satellite data by a British satellite company and accident investigators.

The announcement appeared to rule out the possibility that anyone could have survived whatever happened to the aircraft, which vanished more than two weeks ago with 239 people aboard.

As Razak spoke, airline representatives met with family members in Beijing. "They have told us all lives are lost," one relative of a missing passenger told CNN...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/last-flight-370-position-over-indian-ocean/25129470

BBM This is what I find most upsetting - that it's possible there were passengers who survived the initial crash, but they have since perished. If the plane did just fly until it ran out of fuel (for whatever reason), it wouldn't have just dropped out of the sky - and if the pilots weren't incapacitated, they could have attempted to glide down onto the ocean. It's obviously very difficult to land in the sea - but not impossible, meaning it's not impossible in this scenario that some people survived the initial crash. If the orange object turns out to be a raft, I think that's even more likely. JMO as always

I know sending a text message could seem insensitive but I think they had to make an announcement as fast as possible before they heard it any other way?

Sorry. Not acceptable. Not at all acceptable. You gather them in a quiet room when you have an inkling. Then you report to them first.

I saw a report on CNN this morning of family members in Beijing who spoke as a group with a CNN reporter. The reporter said the families kept their backs to the camera because some had not told elderly relatives they had a family member on the plane. I'm thinking about these families, and all the others, who now must tell their relatives the horrible news.

I cannot find this report online on CNN for a link.

BBM This is what I find most upsetting - that it's possible there were passengers who survived the initial crash, but they have since perished. If the plane did just fly until it ran out of fuel (for whatever reason), it wouldn't have just dropped out of the sky - and if the pilots weren't incapacitated, they could have attempted to glide down onto the ocean. It's obviously very difficult to land in the sea - but not impossible, meaning it's not impossible in this scenario that some people survived the initial crash. If the orange object turns out to be a raft, I think that's even more likely. JMO as always

This could be true. However I think the route the plane took hindered quick rescue. I think the Malaysian govt also hindered the investigation.

I choked up watching the announcement. Those poor families :(

Off to catch up... they were notified by text??

Sorry. Not acceptable. Not at all acceptable. You gather them in a quiet room when you have an inkling. Then you report to them first.

Some families aren't avaialble 24/7 to run to a hotel to get updates. I'm sure there is also an "instant message" group they set up for those that opted in.

Sad news this morning. RIP to the lives lost.
My sympathies to the families.

I think they are going to today. It was probably best for them to inform the family before making an announcement that they found debris from the plane.

But then why go into this thing about Immarsat?

If the debris has been verified, why not just release this information during the same statement? Something like, "we have verified a piece (or pieces) of the plane from the Indian Ocean. This, combined with Immarsat's analysis of the data, leads us to conclude with certainty that it ended in the Southern Indian Ocean.

From PM's statement, he makes it sound like it was this new analysis by Immarsat which caused them to reach the conclusion that it ended up in the Indian Ocean.

However, he gave no details as to how this analysis was done or whatnew data Immarsat had.

JMO.

But then why go into this thing about Immarsat?

If the debris has been verified, why not just release this information during the same statement? Something like, "we have verified a piece (or pieces) of the plane from the Indian Ocean. This, combined with Immarsat's analysis of the data, leads us to conclude with certainty that it ended in the Southern Indian Ocean.

From PM's statement, he makes it sound like it was this new analysis by Immarsat which caused them to reach the conclusion that it ended up in the Indian Ocean.

However, he gave no details as to how this analysis was done or whatnew data Immarsat had.

JMO.

I'm sure in due time details will emerge. His focus and attention was with the families and not go into detail at this time. He was just pointing out the various agencies who also came to this conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop