Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Map shows area where a Malaysian satellite spotted objects possibly related to MH370

BjpNkJGCIAAwzOP.jpg

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...nes-flight-mh370/story-fniztvng-1226864848018

Oh geez ... what an impossible task! How are we ever going to keep up with the ocean currents and where the debris has been carried!

I fully believe that the plane went down where they are searching. The why? is still up in the air. But I would really like them to find one tangible piece of the plane. Not rope or whatever, but something that can be definitively identified.

I am 99.99% sure there is no mobile phone coverage in that very remote part of the Indian Ocean. As for Australian coverage, check out the map at the link below. Hope the link works for you. Change data to voice in the options panel. Telstra is Australia's biggest service provider, they rent parts of their network out to other companies. I'm with Vodafone which has limited range outside urban areas, but I can still call 000 (i.e 911) where there is Telstra coverage. The map shows that there are large parts of inland Australia that has no coverage, let alone outside Australian borders at sea. Mobile phone coverage is patchy when crossing Bass Strait by boat, a popular travel route from Victoria to Tasmania.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/our-coverage/
I live in a city in NSW and my colleagues who live outside the city have patchy coverage. Our mobile services here are sub par compared to the rest of the world. There is no way there would be coverage 2500km from Perth when areas a few hundred km from Sydney are left wanting.

I think it's only a matter of time until they start retrieving wreckage, delayed only by the weather. The latest sighting by the French satellite is very encouraging.
Then the families can have some certainty that the plane crashed. That is what is needed most at this stage as those particularly who have not accepted it must be in a terrible state.

I fully believe that the plane went down where they are searching. The why? is still up in the air. But I would really like them to find one tangible piece of the plane. Not rope or whatever, but something that can be definitively identified.

I think everyone does, particularly those who are investing superhuman effort in searching for debris. I heard a few members of the Australian crew being interviewed the other day and they are extremely committed to locating the objects, and are really sparing no effort in their hunt. Unfortunately, the remoteness and the weather is against them. . .but they remain optimistic that their mission will be eventually fruitful.

I am 99.99% sure there is no mobile phone coverage in that very remote part of the Indian Ocean. As for Australian coverage, check out the map at the link below. Hope the link works for you. Change data to voice in the options panel. Telstra is Australia's biggest service provider, they rent parts of their network out to other companies. I'm with Vodafone which has limited range outside urban areas, but I can still call 000 (i.e 911) where there is Telstra coverage. The map shows that there are large parts of inland Australia that has no coverage, let alone outside Australian borders at sea. Mobile phone coverage is patchy when crossing Bass Strait by boat, a popular travel route from Victoria to Tasmania.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/our-coverage/

Hey, thanks Brightbird! I appreciate that you took the time to research the cell phone coverage. Yes, the link did work. I think you're right, sadly they wouldn't have been able to connect even if they tried to call out.

Okay so I hate Tony. Loathe him. But I give credit where credit is due. He did the right thing today.

Ouch it hurts to say that. I probably won't ever say it again, but his words were good.

Moment in history right there. I have never said a good thing about him and will never say anything positive about him again.

I on the other hand don't hate Tony ( I don't hate any of our politicians!) and I think both he and Bill Shorten spoke very well. Don't know if I was a family member that I would want to travel by plane to Canberra to hear parliament tell me how sorry they are! Tragedies happen every day to people and they don't normally get the condolences of parliament. I am not saying its wrong, just that it seems a bit of a media grab ( by parliament not the families) more than anything else.

I doubt parliament will be saying sorry to the 5 families of the people killed near Brisbane in a small plane a few days ago.

Chinese families holed up in a Kuala Lumpur hotel have demanded that Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak meet them personally as Chinese anger of the handling of the case boils over.

The 18 family members who are staying in a hotel in Kuala Lumpur, were flown to Malaysia shortly after the plane went missing and say they want Mr Najib to explain what is going on and what evidence exists to show the plane actually crashed.

High-level talks are now underway in Kuala Lumpur in a bid to resolve the quickly escalating tensions and to decide if the Prime Minister doesn’t meet the families, who should.

A special high-level envoy has flown from China to meet the Malaysian Government today as a looming diplomatic crisis gains pace.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...nes-flight-mh370/story-fniztvng-1226864848018

Is it not about time that China speaks with its affected people in Malaysia, spend some time with them, console them and be a calming guide? Those poor people seem to be just spinning wildly. :sigh:

Lol :scared:! From what I remember from past threads, the plane had the capability but it wasn't made available on this particular flight. I'll have to look for a link to back this up...

I don't have the link but for looking the package they did not buy for this plane was Boeings AeroMobile service

Among the larger items found at sea include mattresses, docks, crates, cargo containers and tangled masses of abandoned fishing nets, buoys and other gear, it said in a report today.

“Any search and rescue attempt will be hampered by untold quantities of debris,” the paper quoted Charles Moore, a sailor who studies marine debris at the Algalita Marine Research Institute in Long Beach, California.

The marine debris is concentrated in gyres which are large oceanic regions with circulating currents, the paper said.

The search area for the missing jet is on the eastern edge of the Indian Ocean’s debris-concentrating gyre, Moore was quoted as saying.

He said that the storm system that halted search operations on Tuesday could carry debris into, or out of, the gyre.

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/m...t-quantities-of-detritus#sthash.wGvddJUs.dpuf

I think everyone does, particularly those who are investing superhuman effort in searching for debris. I heard a few members of the Australian crew being interviewed the other day and they are extremely committed to locating the objects, and are really sparing no effort in their hunt. Unfortunately, the remoteness and the weather is against them. . .but they remain optimistic that their mission will be eventually fruitful.

I agree Forensics re extremely committed & I think that applies to all nations that are currently involved in the search.

More from Prime Minister Tony Abbott...

Mr Abbott was asked how long Australia will search for the missing plane.

“We keep searching until there is absolutely no hope of finding anything,” he said.

“It is not absolutely open-ended but it is not something we will lightly abandon.’’

“Plainly there is quite a bit of debris in this part of the southern Indian Ocean. We’ve photographed it on a number of occasions now.

“We have not yet recovered any because of the difficulty of locating bits of debris in a vast ocean but we are just going to keep on looking.

“We owe it to the families.”

At the daily press briefing on the search for MH370, acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said an analysis had identified 122 potential objects in a 400 square kilometre area.

ZBpmN43_G5lWqaR3yML7DIJkOxH973EeJtpMYZTsJI3spRDFum-CAYzEZxJRFwJUvSqQtYRrBpep4LMXpRo=s0

V_0rZhaW6W_G-0l70QJ53ETILhPob-PPtw_eKNoPVNnUdG8f8Ed2-FqL4s_tjFIaYR7KBVRCoMxAVXr_5g=s0

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/258288

Which airline or comparison website were you searching on for the direct flights to be cheaper? My job involves booking extensive international travel (mobilization and logistics) so am really quite curious as my initial searches on this came back very differently.

You can't search previous dates so I did a few searches on different dates for a similar time of year (shoulder season). Typical/average prices from KL to Frankfurt seem to be approx:

KUL-FRA AUD$877 13h21m Malaysia Air
KUL-CAN-FRA AUD$577 41h50m Sri Lankan Air

http://www.skyscanner.com.au/transp...mpur-to-frankfurt-in-november-2014.html?rtn=0

While the direct flights are much quicker, the non-direct always came back cheaper. If I were a refugee on a budget I'd definitely consider sacrificing time in order to save a few hundred dollars...

JMO

:seeya:

http://www.momondo.com/

Australian authorities said on Wednesday that three more objects had been spotted by aircraft searching for a Malaysian jet missing in the southern Indian Ocean.

A civilian aircraft, one of 12 scouring the region some 2,500 km (1,550 miles) southwest of Perth, had seen two objects thought to be rope, while a New Zealand Air Force P-3 Orion spotted a blue object, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said on its Twitter feed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/26/us-malaysia-airlines-australia-idUSBREA2P0P420140326

bbm

Just read this:

".....reports that flight MH370 climbed to between 43,000 and 45,000ft shortly after the last voice communication from the cockpit of the plane. An aviation industry source, who wished to remain anonymous, told MailOnline: 'It was tracked flying at this altitude for 23 minutes before descending. Oxygen would have run out in 12 minutes [in a depressurised cabin], rendering the passengers unconscious"

Did we know about the 23 minutes thing? The oxygen masks would have dropped, and while the passengers would not have physically suffered, there are bound to be some who witnessed others passing out. How scary... (IF this is what happened)

Just read this:

".....reports that flight MH370 climbed to between 43,000 and 45,000ft shortly after the last voice communication from the cockpit of the plane. An aviation industry source, who wished to remain anonymous, told MailOnline: 'It was tracked flying at this altitude for 23 minutes before descending. Oxygen would have run out in 12 minutes [in a depressurised cabin], rendering the passengers unconscious"

Did we know about the 23 minutes thing? The oxygen masks would have dropped, and while the passengers would not have physically suffered, there are bound to be some who witnessed others passing out. How scary... (IF this is what happened)

I had not heard that, but I sure hope they were not conscious for hours on end until the plane ran out of fuel and crashed :(.

I just want to wake up one morning and hear that they have found something definite.

Well actually what I really want is to wake up and find that all 239 have been found alive on a tropical island being looked after by 116 year old Amelia Earhart, eating coconuts and sunbathing. But we'll rule that one out for now.

PRESS BRIEFING BY HISHAMMUDDIN HUSSEIN, MINISTER OF DEFENCE AND ACTING MINISTER OF TRANSPORT - highlights:

Looks like China received the Inmarsat info from Malaysia:

Today, the Prime Minister met with His Excellency Zhang Yesui, the Chinese Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs and Special Envoy of the Government of China. I also met with His Excellency this afternoon. During our conversation His Excellency conveyed China’s commitment to continue and intensify the search operation in any way possible, and to deploy any assets that may be required. Malaysia has provided his His Excellency and his delegation with a full update on the latest information from Inmarsat. His Excellency and his delegation also received a comprehensive briefing from the international technical team.

International Working Group

As I mentioned yesterday, based on the new information provided by Inmarsat, we have established an international working group. The agencies involved in this working group include: Inmarsat, AAIB, the Chinese CAAC and AAID, NTSB, FAA, Boeing and Rolls Royce, as well as the relevant Malaysian authorities.
The role of the working group is to help try and refine the Inmarsat data and, if possible, more accurately determine the final position of MH370

As I announced yesterday, MAS is now taking a lead in communicating with the families and is conducting their own press conferences. MAS will hold another press conference tomorrow.

bbm

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-c...ng-minister-of-transport-full-speech-1.533683

Among the larger items found at sea include mattresses, docks, crates, cargo containers and tangled masses of abandoned fishing nets, buoys and other gear, it said in a report today.

“Any search and rescue attempt will be hampered by untold quantities of debris,” the paper quoted Charles Moore, a sailor who studies marine debris at the Algalita Marine Research Institute in Long Beach, California.

The marine debris is concentrated in gyres which are large oceanic regions with circulating currents, the paper said.

The search area for the missing jet is on the eastern edge of the Indian Ocean’s debris-concentrating gyre, Moore was quoted as saying.

He said that the storm system that halted search operations on Tuesday could carry debris into, or out of, the gyre.

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/m...t-quantities-of-detritus#sthash.wGvddJUs.dpuf

Interesting looking at the Indian Ocean circulating currents. Depending on where the objects are, some of them could eventually go up along coast of West Aus or along underneath Australia.

35ku648.jpg

http://www.climatescience.org.au/content/121-dynamics-global-ocean-circulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members