Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26806791

Posting to say hello.
Article has been recently updated. Saturday relatives travelled from Beijing to Kuala Lumpur hoping to get answers as to what has happened to their loved ones. They've heard very little in China.

Oh boy, they're going to be disappointed all over again when they realize no additional information is available in KL.

Sole survivor show , pilots wife , claiming NTSB only said one thing about probable cause. That is not accurate. Here is their prob cause:

3.2 Probable Cause
The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of
this accident was the flight crewmembers’ failure to use available cues and aids to identify
the airplane’s location on the airport surface during taxi and their failure to cross‑check
and verify that the airplane was on the correct runway before takeoff. Contributing to the
accident were the flight crew’s nonpertinent conversation during taxi, which resulted in a
loss of positional awareness, and the Federal Aviation Administration’s failure to require
that all runway crossings be authorized only by specific air traffic control clearances.

The show gives the impression that NTSB just picks on pilots while failing to point out that THIS is what they stated:
Findings
1. The captain and the first officer were properly certificated and qualified under Federal
regulations. There was no evidence of any medical or behavioral conditions that might
have adversely affected their performance during the accident flight. Before reporting
for the accident flight, the flight crewmembers had rest periods that were longer than
those required by Federal regulations and company policy.
2. The accident airplane was properly certified, equipped, and maintained in accordance
with Federal regulations. The recovered components showed no evidence of any
structural, engine, or system failures.
3. Weather was not a factor in this accident. No restrictions to visibility occurred during
the airplane’s taxi to the runway and the attempted takeoff. The taxi and the attempted
takeoff occurred about 1 hour before sunrise during night visual meteorological
conditions and with no illumination from the moon.
4. The captain and the first officer believed that the airplane was on runway 22 when
they taxied onto runway 26 and initiated the takeoff roll.
5. The flight crew recognized that something was wrong with the takeoff beyond the
point from which the airplane could be stopped on the remaining available runway.
6. Because the accident airplane had taxied onto and taken off from runway 26 without
a clearance to do so, this accident was a runway incursion.

7. Adequate cues existed on the airport surface and available resources were present in
the cockpit to allow the flight crew to successfully navigate from the air carrier ramp
to the runway 22 threshold.
8. The flight crewmembers’ nonpertinent conversation during the taxi, which was not in
compliance with Federal regulations and company policy, likely contributed to their
loss of positional awareness.
9. The flight crewmembers failed to recognize that they were initiating a takeoff on the
wrong runway because they did not cross-check and confirm the airplane’s position
on the runway before takeoff and they were likely influenced by confirmation bias.
10. Even though the flight crewmembers made some errors during their preflight activities
and the taxi to the runway, there was insufficient evidence to determine whether
fatigue affected their performance.
Findings

11. The flight crew’s noncompliance with standard operating procedures, including the
captain’s abbreviated taxi briefing and both pilots’ nonpertinent conversation, most
likely created an atmosphere in the cockpit that enabled the crew’s errors.
12. The controller did not notice that the flight crew had stopped the airplane short of the
wrong runway because he did not anticipate any problems with the airplane’s taxi to
the correct runway and thus was paying more attention to his radar responsibilities
than his tower responsibilities.
13. The controller did not detect the flight crew’s attempt to take off on the wrong runway
because, instead of monitoring the airplane’s departure, he performed a lower-priority
administrative task that could have waited until he transferred responsibility for the
airplane to the next air traffic control facility.

14. The controller was most likely fatigued at the time of the accident, but the extent
that fatigue affected his decision not to monitor the airplane’s departure could not
be determined in part because his routine practices did not consistently include the
monitoring of takeoffs.
15. The Federal Aviation Administration’s operational policies and procedures at the
time of the accident were deficient because they did not promote optimal controller
monitoring of aircraft surface operations.
16. The first officer’s survival was directly attributable to the prompt arrival of the first
responders; their ability to extricate him from the cockpit wreckage; and his rapid
transport to the hospital, where he received immediate treatment.
17. The emergency response for this accident was timely and well coordinated.
18. A standard procedure requiring 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91K, 121, and 135
pilots to confirm and cross-check that their airplane is positioned at the correct runway
before crossing the hold short line and initiating a takeoff would help to improve the
pilots’ positional awareness during surface operations.

19. The implementation of cockpit moving map displays or cockpit runway alerting
systems on air carrier aircraft would enhance flight safety by providing pilots with
improved positional awareness during surface navigation.
20. Enhanced taxiway centerline markings and surface painted holding position
signs provide pilots with additional awareness about the runway and taxiway
environment.
21. This accident demonstrates that 14 Code of Federal Regulations 91.129(i) might result
in mistakes that have catastrophic consequences because the regulation allows an
airplane to cross a runway during taxi without a pilot request for a specific clearance
to do so.
22. If controllers were required to delay a takeoff clearance until confirming that an
airplane has crossed all intersecting runways to a departure runway, the increased
monitoring of the flight crew’s surface navigation would reduce the likelihood of
wrong runway takeoff events.
23. If controllers were to focus on monitoring tasks instead of administrative tasks when
aircraft are in the controller’s area of operations, the additional monitoring would
increase the probability of detecting flight crew errors.

24. Even though the air traffic manager’s decision to staff midnight shifts at Blue Grass
Airport with one controller was contrary to Federal Aviation Administration verbal
guidance indicating that two controllers were needed, it cannot be determined if this
decision contributed to the circumstances of this accident.
25. Because of an ongoing construction project at Blue Grass Airport, the taxiway identifiers
represented in the airport chart available to the flight crew were inaccurate, and the
information contained in a local notice to airmen about the closure of taxiway A was
not made available to the crew via automatic terminal information service broadcast
or the flight release paperwork.
26. The controller’s failure to ensure that the flight crew was aware of the altered taxiway A
configuration was likely not a factor in the crew’s inability to navigate to the correct
runway.
27. Because the information in the local notice to airmen (NOTAM) about the altered
taxiway A configuration was not needed for the pilots’ wayfinding task, the absence of
the local NOTAM from the flight release paperwork was not a factor in this accident.
28. The presence of the extended taxiway centerline to taxiway A north of runway 8/26

....and 174 pages of info!

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2007/AAR0705.pdf

The "Petition for Discovery", lodged in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, is intended to force both Boeing and Malaysia to release all the material they hold on the aircraft.

Until now both Boeing and Malaysia Airlines have steadfastly refused to comment on what may have caused the plane to disappear.

But details of several incidents involving other Boeing 777s have emerged, including a cockpit fire at Cairo Airport in July 2011. Although passengers and crew were moved to safety, investigators found that the blaze was caused by a short circuit igniting an oxygen pipe.

Regulators in America and Europe issued a directive ordering the replacement of the oxygen pipes. The work is estimated to cost about £1500 ($2698) to put right but last week Malaysia Airlines refused to say if the work was done.

A spokesman said: "All mandatory orders issued by aviation authorities relating to aircraft in our fleet have been complied with by Malaysia Airlines."

In the court petition, Mr Firman's lawyers, have demanded details of who designed and manufactured the oxygen system. It has also demanded Boeing release documents showing who had information "of the evidence of findings of corrosion and fractures in the fuselage of the aircraft".

The petition has also demanded Boeing provides details of who was responsible for servicing the plane.

Malaysia Airlines in turn is facing a demand to say who was responsible for training and carrying out psychological evaluations of the crew.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/malaysi...t-confirmed-20140330-zqop8.html#ixzz2xPbGQoBH

BBM
Well I don't trust the Malaysians one little bit. And IF the bolded statement above were to be nit-picked, the Malaysians could say that it is true TODAY because the 777 is on the bottom of the ocean floor so it is NO LONGER part of their fleet.

Pardon my grumpiness, I have a darn toothache. :facepalm: I hope my post makes sense... and I am only mad at the Malaysians because they are not forthcoming and truthful. They are acting like a significant other who has been caught redhanded cheating. :banghead:

Oddly, I had an overwhelming thought the other night when they announced the move to the new search area that this plane is not in the South Indian Ocean.

I don't have a theory of where it could be. But I'm wondering whether there is known but unshared information related to radar that could lead to another final destination. I don't think they're alive though, rather that they went down elsewhere.

The Inmarsat data? I don't know. I saw this tweet from Jeff wise. There is a ton of mistrust going on.

@socalmike_SD: @ManvBrain RT " British-based satellite company Inmarsat distances itself from PM..ocean conclusion not ours http://t.co/yIwCmc4jJS"
Wow...that sheds a new light on things.

What? I am having issues with this article, starting with the photo ...which looks nothing like the captain.

wth..

Me too. It's obviously an old picture because all of the children are grown and at least 2 of them are in college, but we are never shown a recent updated picture of the family.

It also goes on and on about the pilot being withdrawn and keeping to himself or wanting to be with his friends. Isn't it true that he had a girlfriend on the side? I thought that had been established, but every story about the crew and the airplane changes from day to day. It's like they just can't keep any of their stories straight in Malaysia. I dunno. :dunno:

What did we say when Russia shot down that passenger plane? I don't remember that incident enough to recall, but that's apparently what we would say :D

I've thought from the get-go that this plane might have been shot down. I would give that scenario 50/50 odds.

Robb M Stewart ‏@RobbMStewart 1m

Australian ship Ocean Shield is currently being fitted with a US Navy black-box pinger locator for the #MH370 search

What? I am having issues with this article, starting with the photo ...which looks nothing like the captain.

wth..
Elle Mae, That is a really good article. I wish someone had spoken up before he got into that cockpit to fly the plane three weeks ago. It sounds like he should have been on a leave of absence. Very disturbing.

AMSA News ‏@AMSA_News 37m

The RCC is responding to an emergency beacon from a fishing boat near Antarctica. Two planes tasked to the scene. http://bit.ly/1mBRKDc

AMSA News ‏@AMSA_News 19m

Chief of the Navy paid a visit to Ocean Shield in Perth today which is being fitted with US Navy Pinger Locator & AUV for #MH370 search

Chinese family members have flown to Malaysia to press for @MH370 Information
http://on.wsj.com/1pr3vLM

Have they checked out any of those pieces from the ocean yet? I thought they retrieved something, wouldn't they have had most of the day by now to look at it?

AMSA News ‏@AMSA_News 37m

The RCC is responding to an emergency beacon from a fishing boat near Antarctica. Two planes tasked to the scene. http://bit.ly/1mBRKDc

AMSA News ‏@AMSA_News 19m

Chief of the Navy paid a visit to Ocean Shield in Perth today which is being fitted with US Navy Pinger Locator & AUV for #MH370 search

Chinese family members have flown to Malaysia to press for @MH370 Information
http://on.wsj.com/1pr3vLM

Curious what the emergency beacon could be.

Have they checked out any of those pieces from the ocean yet? I thought they retrieved something, wouldn't they have had most of the day by now to look at it?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/recovered-objects-not-related-to-malaysia-airlines-flight-370/story-e6frg95x-1226868841071

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority says a Chinese ship retrieved objects from the southern Indian Ocean yesterday after a Chinese military plane reportedly spotted material bearing colours from the missing jet.

However, it’s believed the items are not related to the flight and are more likely fishing objects or rubbish, AMSA said this morning.

I was so in hopes that they could confirm wreckage from Flt MH370.

Still, I do not understand how anyone could still hold out hope for survival of their loved ones. So sad!!!!!!

It sounds to me like many families think the officials are completely wrong about the Indian Ocean, and they still it's possible that the plane was hijacked and the hijackers r keeping everyone alive for some reason - perhaps for secret negotiations or perhaps for future negotiations.

I cannot imagine what these families are going through.

The problem is that hijacking by terrorists would open a whole host of problems - suddenly the governmental politics would come into play, also secrecy due to sensitive-nature ongoing investigation and countries not wanting to give up intelligence secrets.

So as long as the possibility of terrorist hijacking is alive (with no plane found), then IMO there will always be mistrust as to the information the governments are giving them.

I don't really see a solution to this besides the plane being found.

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members