Max's Death - Dina's Independent Experts Summary Reports

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shakcnai and first wife, Kimberly James were married in April 1993 in Bel Air, California. Kimberly filed for divorce in 1999. In 2001, a custody agreement was finalized in regards to their two children, a daughter, 14 years old and a son, 13 years old.

Shaknai divorced, then married Dina Flores in 2008. Mr. Shaknai and Dina had one son, Max, 6 years old. The court records have been sealed and are not able to be viewed by the public.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/25 ... i-20110725

Did Dina and Jonah date for seven years?

Shakcnai and first wife, Kimberly James were married in April 1993 in Bel Air, California. Kimberly filed for divorce in 1999. In 2001, a custody agreement was finalized in regards to their two children, a daughter, 14 years old and a son, 13 years old.

Shaknai divorced, then married Dina Flores in 2008. Mr. Shaknai and Dina had one son, Max, 6 years old. The court records have been sealed and are not able to be viewed by the public.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/25 ... i-20110725

Did Dina and Jonah date for seven years?

Max would be 7 this year, so he was born ~ 2005

"Jonah went to the police and said Dina had tried to choke him back in 2008. The next year, as their marriage was imploding, Dina reportedly told police her husband elbowed her in the chest."
http://www.businessinsider.com/jonah-shacknei-mansion-murders-2012-8?op=1

I think they got married around 2003-2004

Max would be 7 this year, so he was born ~ 2005

"Jonah went to the police and said Dina had tried to choke him back in 2008. The next year, as their marriage was imploding, Dina reportedly told police her husband elbowed her in the chest."
http://www.businessinsider.com/jonah-shacknei-mansion-murders-2012-8?op=1

I think they got married around 2003-2004

From the Maricopa County Court Records Search.......2008 indicates the year i which it was filed.
DR1999-000301

Shacknai, Jonah - DOB: 12/1956

FC2008-008253

This Case is Sealed, - DOB: N/A

From the Maricopa County Court Records Search.......2008 indicates the year i which it was filed.
DR1999-000301

FC2008-008253

Does that mean the year the divorce was filed?

DR1999-000301

FC2008-008253

It was filed in 1999, and granted in 2008. See the DR1999-00301?

It was filed in 1999, and granted in 2008. See the DR1999-00301?

YOU ARE INCORRECT: these are 2 different cases. The first, DR1999-00301, was between Jonah and Kimberly. It was filed in 1999. The second, FC2008-008253 was between Jonah and Dina, and the filing date was sometime in 2008. Because that case is sealed, one cannot see the Minute Entries of the case.

YOU ARE INCORRECT: these are 2 different cases. The first, DR1999-00301, was between Jonah and Kimberly. It was filed in 1999. The second, FC2008-008253 was between Jonah and Dina, and the filing date was sometime in 2008. Because that case is sealed, one cannot see the Minute Entries of the case.

Can you provide a MSM link that shows this?

Can you provide a MSM link that shows this?

It is not a MSM link.....it is an actual court web site: "www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/docket/familycourtcases", once there, then enter the last name "Shacknai", and both cases will be displayed. You can click on the DR case for details, but the Jonah/Dina case is sealed and will not display anything.

It is not a MSM link.....it is an actual court web site: "www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/docket/familycourtcases", once there, then enter the last name "Shacknai", and both cases will be displayed. You can click on the DR case for details, but the Jonah/Dina case is sealed and will not display anything.

Link works fine for me.

IMO the marks on this railing seem like they would have come from something hard scraping against it. I would not think a person backed up into this would create these gouges.

The skin and muscle of a person cannot gouge wood and scrape off paint let alone the soft skin of a six year old child. Unless Max was wearing metal body
armour that did not happen. Period.

Something hard, probably made of metal caused the gouges. Imo, the child rode his scooter upstairs, hit the railing and caused the gouges when the scooter made contact with it. That makes common sense.

Originally Posted by justice be served
I am going to take a wild guess that this has not been Dr. Melinek's shining moment in her career. And one that she probably wishes she had not been roped into regardless of what she was paid.

I have to agree with you that Dr. Melinek's participation in reviewing Max's case has not been one of her proudest career moments.

I think Dr. Cyril Wecht, who is arguably a prominent and well respected forensic pathologist, also agrees that Dr. Melinek's opinions she rendered for Dina Shacknai are not one of her bright shining career moments.

I thought it was quite interesting to observe the interaction between Dr. Wecht and Dr. Melinek on the Dr. Phil show.

http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/1874/

**Note- scroll down to Cyril Wecht's video. I'm unable to embed in this format.

In "doctor speak", Cyril Wecht was basically saying "what the heck are you doing here? You should be way better than this" to Judy Melinek. His demeanor says to me that he wanted to communicate to her that she had far overstepped her boundaries, and was acting foolishly for the level of professional she is supposed to be. The effusive praise of her education and professional accomplishments is the "tell" that he thinks she has gone way overboard with her professional opinions in Max's case. If he truly didn't respect where she SHOULD be coming from, he would have omitted all that. It was, for me, like watching a Morbidity and Mortality monthly meeting, where Wecht was the department chief criticizing a good colleague for doing something foolish or careless. Wecht was very professional-- he was, in essence, giving her an "out". She was mightily annoyed, but she "got" the message (rolled eyes). And Wecht rightly points out Melinek's own recent inconsistencies that she is backing away from her "Rebecca is the killer" and "this is a homicide."

Dr. Melinek has had several cases in addition to this one recently where she has been chastised for "reaching", and making improper inferential leaps in her role as an expert. (Burford v Glaxo Smith Kline, and the Hannah Overton case, to name two.)

She has a fantastic career, and has written some very scholarly works. She is well known for her teaching with residents. I think those are her professional strengths as a physician and pathologist. If she continues to participate in high profile cases where her controversial opinions appear frivolous, tabloid quality, or "bought and paid for", she risks her entire professional reputation.

But if Dina persists in her "Max was assaulted" line of thinking, I think we can look forward to hearing more of Dr. Melinek in a civil suit. But her comments will not be unopposed-- and this interaction with Cyril Wecht is a preview of what could be coming.

K_Z... I agree, I think Wecht was honestly a bit furious and chastised Melinek because he felt she did a poor job and stepped over some ethical obligations.

K_Z... I agree, I think Wecht was honestly a bit furious and chastised Melinek because he felt she did a poor job and stepped over some ethical obligations.

Wecht has long been a joke to prosecutors and law enforcement, and the feeling is probably mutual, imo.

I don't believe Dr. Melinek has ever been indicted or prosecuted nor do I believe Wecht has ever had the Cali Attorney General as a client.

JMO

Wecht has long been a joke to prosecutors and law enforcement, and the feeling is probably mutual, imo.

I don't believe Dr. Melinek has ever been indicted or prosecuted nor do I believe Wecht has ever had the Cali Attorney General as a client.

JMO

Links to back up your statements about Wecht please. My father worked with him on several cases and had the utmost respect for him, professionally and personally.

JMO

Hi MyBelle!

Can you provide some back up for that statement, if you don't mind. I respect your opinion and I'm wondering where it comes from. From what I've seen he seems to be quite respected. Admittedly, I haven't gone digging on him, but from a basic standpoint he seems like a renowned professional. I'm honestly curious as to why he would be a joke to LE. TIA

JMO

I'm very confused by these statements. Who is saying Dr. Melinek has been indicted or prosecuted??

Who is saying Wecht had the Cali Attorney General as a client??

Here is what Judge Cynthia M. Rufe said about Dr. Melinek's LESS THAN 2 PAGE expert witness opinion in January 2011, when she granted the defendant's request to dismiss Dr. Melinek's opinion:

Dr. Melinek is a forensic pathologist who is an Assistant Medical Examiner in San Francisco, CA. In a very brief report, the substance of which covers less than two pages, Dr. Melinek opines that Burford suffered a fatal myocardial infarction due to a ruptured atherosclerotic plaque in the coronary artery, and further opines that Avandia was a significant contributing cause of his death. To form her opinion, she relied upon general research on Avandia, package inserts and warnings for Avandia published by GSK, the reports and testimony of other experts, Burford's death certificate and the medical examiner's reports, a hospital autopsy report, and her own analysis of Burford's tissue samples from prepared slides. She also had access to Burford's medical records dated January 3, 1991 through his death on November 21,2006.

The problem for this Court is not that Dr. Melinek fails to identify that Avandia as the sole cause of Burford's myocardial infarction. Rather this Court is troubled by the fact that Dr. Melinek points to nothing more than the epidemiological research to support her opinion that Avandia played a role in Burford's fatal myocardial infarction. Turning to Dr. Melinek's deposition testimony, the Court finds no testimony from which it can conclude that Dr. Melinek used reliable methods to conclude that Avandia was a contributing cause of death in this specific case.

The Court concludes that Dr. Melinek made an improper inferential leap from general causation to specific causation in her report, without any evidence to show that Avandia caused or even contributed to Burford's myocardial infarction. Accordingly, the Court will not permit Dr. Melinek to testify as to her opinion regarding the role of Avandia in Burford's death.

http://www.paed.uscourts.gov/documents/MDL/MDL1871/opinions/Specific causation opinion.pdf

Now, to land a case as an expert against a giant such as Glaxo Smith Kline, it sure seems to me that a report of LESS THAN 2 PAGES is a pretty poor way to show your support for your client's position. That could have been a career bright shining moment for Dr. Melinek, no? But it seems that she simply didn't have the time or inclination to devote to this case properly, imo, and didn't bother to recommmend to her client to pass it on to another colleague that had more time to devote to such a case.

I would call that a professional tongue lashing from a judge. And it's not outside the realm of possibility that we may see another tongue lashing from a judge and other experts about Dr. Melinek's "opinion" she rendered for Dina Shacknai, if Dina files a suit and is foolish enough to actually submit what Dr. Melinek provided her with.

I'm very confused by these statements. Who is saying Dr. Melinek has been indicted or prosecuted??

Who is saying Wecht had the Cali Attorney General as a client??

Here is what Judge Cynthia M. Rufe said about Dr. Melinek's LESS THAN 2 PAGE expert witness opinion in January 2011, when she granted the defendant's request to dismiss Dr. Melinek's opinion:

http://www.paed.uscourts.gov/documents/MDL/MDL1871/opinions/Specific causation opinion.pdf

Now, to land a case as an expert against a giant such as Glaxo Smith Kline, it sure seems to me that a report of LESS THAN 2 PAGES is a pretty poor way to show your support for your client's position. That could have been a career bright shining moment for Dr. Melinek, no? But it seems that she simply didn't have the time or inclination to devote to this case properly, imo, and didn't bother to recommmend to her client to pass it on to another colleague that had more time to devote to such a case.

I would call that a professional tongue lashing from a judge. And it's not outside the realm of possibility that we may see another tongue lashing from a judge and other experts about Dr. Melinek's "opinion" she rendered for Dina Shacknai, if Dina files a suit and is foolish enough to actually submit what Dr. Melinek provided her with.

It would appear that there is perhaps a pattern here of Melinek's "leaps" in her professional opinions? IMO.

I still wonder about Dr. Melinek's use of cited sources. How anyone would consider them credible is beyond me. What troubles me even more than that is the fact that Dr. Bove didn't ever state the same findings yet his report is touted along with hers. Where was Dr. Bove in all of the MSM interviews? Why haven't we heard from him? Dr. Melinek had no problem appearing on MSM...but Dr. Bove, nothing. I'd really like to hear the reasoning behind that.

Always, MOO

I still wonder about Dr. Melinek's use of cited sources. How anyone would consider them credible is beyond me. What troubles me even more than that is the fact that Dr. Bove didn't ever state the same findings yet his report is touted along with hers. Where was Dr. Bove in all of the MSM interviews? Why haven't we heard from him? Dr. Melinek had no problem appearing on MSM...but Dr. Bove, nothing. I'd really like to hear the reasoning behind that.

Always, MOO

I agree, perhaps Dr. Bove was not in agreement with Dr. Melinek's conclusion(s).......It would indeed be interesting to hear from Dr. Bove about all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luisgill