Deceased/Not Found MD - Heather Grogg, 33, & Danielle Tyler, 18, Carroll Co, 6 Apr 2020 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MM preliminary hearing was yesterday. Diana Riddle was in attendance. MM was not in court but appeared via video due to COVID precautions.

Defense questions whether third suspect in Rippon murder was in fact at the scene

Officer’s testimony sheds light on alleged circumstances around Taneytown man’s death in West Virginia: $40 worth of drugs

MM's attorney tried to play the same card DS's attorney did, that there is no proof JR was murdered in Jefferson County WV so they have no jurisdiction. He also claims all witness testimony is suspect because everyone who is talking is also in jail on the same charges so pinning it on MM would be good for their own defense. The judge didn't buy it and he will go to a grand jury in Jefferson County circuit court.

Next step for DS and JB will also be grand jury hearings to see if they go to trial. No dates given.

One surprise for me was LE is saying ERD was at the scene of JRs murder in Rippon WV while HG was not. I thought it was the other way around... I thought we read earlier that HG was in Rippon and ERD was back home with her kids?

From Spirit of Jefferson: "In addition to Merrell, Sanford and Black, four other witnesses went to the killing scene. Holz has identified those in court as Emily Rose Day of Westminster, the mother of Sanford’s two children, and 18-year-old Danielle Tyler of Taneytown and two juveniles."

One surprise for me was LE is saying ERD was at the scene of JRs murder in Rippon WV while HG was not. I thought it was the other way around... I thought we read earlier that HG was in Rippon and ERD was back home with her kids?

From Spirit of Jefferson: "In addition to Merrell, Sanford and Black, four other witnesses went to the killing scene. Holz has identified those in court as Emily Rose Day of Westminster, the mother of Sanford’s two children, and 18-year-old Danielle Tyler of Taneytown and two juveniles."

RSBM

HMM that’s very weird and can’t be true. ERDs case was dismissed by judge Vikki Deangelo solely because she was NOT present in Rippon WV for the final breath of JR/murder scene?? This is too weird I’m going to call the WV court to get the information on both all of the prelims that makes no sense. If ERD was at the road I’m WV then her charge of accessory before & after would stand?? I believe it’s a typo on MSM because that can’t be possible. Jmo

• Maryland court records list 301 E. Main as DS address
  • 301 E. Main Street IS Main Street Mews.
  • There's two red doors on the front of the bldg. facing the street. If you stand in front of the bldg. facing the two doors, the entrance to the parking lot is to your right. You enter from Main Street.
  • Once you enter the parking lot, there is a building with a row of units on your left, overlooking the parking lot, and perpendicular to the bldg that fronts on Main St. The parking spaces, maybe 10 or so, are on the right side of the parking lot as you drive in.
  • The parking lot is a dead end, so only one entrance / exit.
  • I have never driven into the parking lot, or gotten out and walked around, etc., so I have no idea which apt is DS's, but court records have him at apt #11.
If you look at the photo below, you can sorta see the row of units coming off the back of the bldg. The second pic is a better look at the row of units overlooking the parking lot.

One other thing I noticed the other day: On the back of the row of units, it looks like there might be apts. below them, with entry at the rear. I can't tell for sure, but looks like outside entries.

Note: These pics are not my own, they are from a public listing on Apartments dot com. 301-305 E Main St, Westminster, MD 21157 Apartments - Westminster, MD | Apartments.com

All my own opinion.

Attachments

• 301-305-e-main-st-westminster-md-building-photo.jpg
    301-305-e-main-st-westminster-md-building-photo.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 301-305-e-main-st-westminster-md-building-photo (1).jpg
    301-305-e-main-st-westminster-md-building-photo (1).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
This is very interesting, from the Carroll County Times article, "While Holz said he doesn’t believe Merrell is a member of the Pagans, he said he may be part of another motorcycle club."

How does a guy without a motorcycle who has been in prison for all but 3 months of his adult life get into a motorcycle club? And hang around at Pagan Motorcycle Club parties with AprilB and NB who have Pagan ties, but he is not affiliated with the Pagans?

Are there "minor league" motorcycle gangs and MM was trying to get to the big leagues quick? Or was he in a rival gang? I don't have any idea about motorcycle gang culture.

This is very interesting, from the Carroll County Times article, "While Holz said he doesn’t believe Merrell is a member of the Pagans, he said he may be part of another motorcycle club."

How does a guy without a motorcycle who has been in prison for all but 3 months of his adult life get into a motorcycle club? And hang around at Pagan Motorcycle Club parties with AprilB and NB who have Pagan ties, but he is not affiliated with the Pagans?

Are there "minor league" motorcycle gangs and MM was trying to get to the big leagues quick? Or was he in a rival gang? I don't have any idea about motorcycle gang culture.

86971496_2547185382203566_3522565561512886272_o.jpg

http://www.mcac.maryland.gov/resources/2013 Public Gang Threat Assessment.pdf
WHITE PRISON GANGS: Dead Man Inc.

Dead Man Inc?

According to Roark’s plea agreement, DMI was created originally in 2000 as a prison gang in Maryland, and at its inception was closely allied to the Black Guerilla Family (BGF), another prison gang. By 2006, DMI expanded its membership by recruiting members outside prison, including women.

DMI members operated in and out of prisons throughout Maryland, as well as Pennsylvania, Louisiana and Texas. DMI is active in numerous prison facilities in Maryland. Units operating outside the prisons are identified by the region they cover, such as Brooklyn, South Baltimore, Southwest Baltimore, Southeast Baltimore, Dundalk, Westminster, Glen Burnie, etc.

^^^excerpt from great article explaining DMI... I copied this part because it states the locations of the gang outside of prison and Westminster is one of those places.... could MM and DS be a part of this DMI gang? Seems more likely than the pagans since none of the accused have motorcycles plus MM has some DMI tattoos... below is the link to the whole article —
Founder Of Violent “Dead Man Incorporated” Gang Sentenced To Life On Federal Racketeering, Murder And Drug Charges

any thoughts guys?

I am new to the list. I live in Frederick, MD -- not too far from where Riddle's body was left and where the two women were killed -- so I've been interested in the story from the start.

A quick question: How do you know that MM has DMI tattoos? I don't see any on his body (but I'm not that familiar with the DMI symbols).

I am new to the list. I live in Frederick, MD -- not too far from where Riddle's body was left and where the two women were killed -- so I've been interested in the story from the start.

A quick question: How do you know that MM has DMI tattoos? I don't see any on his body (but I'm not that familiar with the DMI symbols).
Click on the links in post #587?

The DMI tattoo is not conclusive, I was asking for opinions.

RSBM

check the link @Knox referenced. There’s a post which is MMs profile picture on FB where he has his shirt off/taking a “mirror selfie” just based on the Roman numerals it seemed he has their DMI tat I’m not a tatto artist or Have Ganga knowledge but also look at the 2 DMI webpages/links it could be plausible as the area fits but idk all speculation.

@fredrick guy
Above in the quotes is the post with MMS pics of tats and simple description of DMI which is a prison Gang/moved to outside prison in certain MD areas such as, Westminster, Dundalk etc. were trying to see what gang IF ANY that MM is truly a part of as he clearly wasn’t a member of the pagans MC - per MSM, and family/friends of the deceased DT/HG saying pagans were not involved/not had knowledge of it .

Ah. I don’t see the Roman numerals 4-13-9. It’s hard to make out the numbers on his left side but they clearly don’t align with the DMI numbers. But perhaps they are a clue to some other affiliation. The jacket on the bed also might be telling.

On another issue: Is there any evidence that JR contacted his wife for the $40? It’s hard to understand why a guy would text his mother after midnight (likely in her 60s) for the money instead of asking his wife. Perhaps he was keeping his habit from his wife, but it is still surprising he wouldn’t ask her if he knew his life was on the line (which he seemed to realize was the case).

Ah. I don’t see the Roman numerals 4-13-9. It’s hard to make out the numbers on his left side but they clearly don’t align with the DMI numbers. But perhaps they are a clue to some other affiliation. The jacket on the bed also might be telling.

On another issue: Is there any evidence that JR contacted his wife for the $40? It’s hard to understand why a guy would text his mother after midnight (likely in her 60s) for the money instead of asking his wife. Perhaps he was keeping his habit from his wife, but it is still surprising he wouldn’t ask her if he knew his life was on the line (which he seemed to realize was the case).

maybe he was seeing heather and or using w her and he didnt want her to know?

you know what is odd. that jonathan's mom wasnt concerned when he called asking for $40. maybe he played it off like it was unimportant but id be concerned if my son called me late at night asking for money. does anyone know if he was in recovery, so maybe his mom figured he fell off the wagon?

The whole thing with his wife is interesting. Did she know he was doing drugs and who with? Did she even know he wasn't at home that night?

Here's an old facebook page Jon Riddle

“Diana said she knew something was amiss March 18 when she saw Jon’s work clothes were still at home. She wondered why he hadn’t gone to work.“

This is strange. She got worried in the afternoon after she noticed that his clothes were still there. But wouldn’t she have known that he didn’t even come back the night before? Even if she went to bed before he left, wouldn’t she have noticed that he never came to bed?

Also, they were about to go on a second cruise, and yet this guy didn’t have $40 to pay angry drug dealers straight out of prison? Bizarre.

“Diana said she knew something was amiss March 18 when she saw Jon’s work clothes were still at home. She wondered why he hadn’t gone to work.“

This is strange. She got worried in the afternoon after she noticed that his clothes were still there. But wouldn’t she have known that he didn’t even come back the night before? Even if she went to bed before he left, wouldn’t she have noticed that he never came to bed?

Also, they were about to go on a second cruise, and yet this guy didn’t have $40 to pay angry drug dealers straight out of prison? Bizarre.

I’m thinking this:

his mom didn’t give him the money because she’s been through this before with him in the past (him calling for $$) she likely thought he was just trying to get more money to buy some more drugs. She likely isn’t an enabler but will deal with the horrible guilt and consequences now seeing the aftermath... quite sad imo

He didn’t call his wife DR- because he was at HGs place- I know I wouldn’t be happy if a partner of mine was out using with another girl.... were all adults, and esp with meth use ... I wouldn’t be shocked if there was some infidelity happening—— pure speculation——
However I must agree I think DR did know that JR would dabble and just chalked it up to he partied to late and would be back in the AM or maybe she was freaked out the whole time but was just holding onto hope for the best outcome?

That all seems quite plausible. Even if there wasn't infidelity with HG, it could simply be the case that JR wanted to shield this part of his old life from his new wife (JR and DR had been married less than two years). DR seemed to have a middle-class job in advertising, but perhaps JR did not have access to the family account, which is why he had to turn to his mom (who refused for the reasons you provided).

If you scroll through JR's old FB, you will see him partying with HG's boyfriend (MH) and his friends. This looks like a very different scene from the one with his wife and step children.

I’m thinking this:

his mom didn’t give him the money because she’s been through this before with him in the past (him calling for $$) she likely thought he was just trying to get more money to buy some more drugs.
RSBM

That article says JR has 5 siblings within a mile of his house. Surely he would have tried to reach them for $40 if he thought his life depended on it. Do you suppose the whole family was "worn out" with giving him handouts for drug money to the point he didn't bother to call them?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyaC
Back