MD MD - Judith 'Judy' O'Donnell, 19, Baltimore, 30 Nov 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So Judy went missing between Baltimore and New York, or in NYC after she returned. Judy's DNA and Dentals are in the Namus system, any UID found is ran through the entire system for DNA matches of missing people, it's automatic.

Let's hope she ran off got married and started a new life.
It does happen,a girl's brother went missing from California. She found out 30 years later he was a chef living in another state. He told her it would time to reconnect and tell her why.
Questions linger in case of missing Sacramento man, found alive after 30 years

Another case person had memory loss for 30 years had flashbacks,then a DNA test to find out who he was.

Another case:

Always have hope and keep looking.

Last edited:
My parents died not knowing her whereabouts or fate. I believe she is deceased, my siblings feel she could be alive. There is inheritance for her if we can find her.

She landed in NYC like.so many other girls in the 70s, full of hopes and dreams. Soon, cold and hungry.

She lived the fun life and then her life took a.sad turn. Prostitution, drugs, couch surfing.

I want to find her so she can be buried with my parents. The case has been cold.for so long. I can't give up.

There is a.thread in the missing not forgotten section, 1980s, here. Her NAMUS id is 8051. There is a group on Facebook. Her case is one of two handled out of Albany by the.nys troopers, because while.she lived in NY, she didnt have an actual.residence or id that tied her to the.city. I have been down so many rabbit holes, I can't give up. Help !
Have you tested your autosomal dna with any companies? Also where can is there anywhere that has any information on the case?

So Judy went missing between Baltimore and New York, or in NYC after she returned. Judy's DNA and Dentals are in the Namus system, any UID found is ran through the entire system for DNA matches of missing people, it's automatic.

Let's hope she ran off got married and started a new life.
It does happen,a girl's brother went missing from California. She found out 30 years later he was a chef living in another state. He told her it would time to reconnect and tell her why.

Another case person had memory loss for 30 years had flashbacks,then a DNA test to find out who he was.

Another case:

Always have hope and keep looking.

Thx Houndpounder. Very sweet and positive way to look at things, like always.

Hi Maureen,
It's probably hard to recollect now, knowing your parents are gone, but I wonder did your family actually see her going on the bus to NYC or did she had to wait on the bus station. What was the name of the bus station those days? There was a bus ticket mentioned, did she show it to anybody as far as you know or could it be something like 'Oh, I don't need a ride, I have a bus ticket'. Is there any prove at all that she actually took that bus? You are sure you saw her at the inauguration of Reagan. Do you mean you saw her singing in the Young People's or just somewhere in the audience?

She was left at the bus station, which was on the opposite side of Baltimore from the train station, (it is now one transportation center) where my other sister and her infant son were headed. Since my other sister needed more time, we dropped Judy off first. Names weren't on tickets at the time, and though it was non refundable, there is no way of knowing if she ever boarded that bus.

I don't remember what the event was, I assume it was the young peoples' concert, she was on the screen at least 5 times, closeup, dancing. It was outside, she was near portable lights (the big ones). So much has changed in 38 years. If I had to do it again, I would have been on it. I was 14 and didn't think, geez, I should get tape, call the Washington police. :( :(

Well I mean private companies, if she had just assumed a new identity maybe she could have produced offspring and they might be in some database like Gedmatch. Just a thought.
I am leery of the private companies. Policecarecworking with them, but it's not clear to me if they proactively chase DNA of missing persons the same way they do crimes?

I am leery of the private companies. Policecarecworking with them, but it's not clear to me if they proactively chase DNA of missing persons the same way they do crimes?
Yea it may not be super effective regarding crime solving in some respects, but if there is a possibility she had a child and gave it up or best case scenario just started a new life, her children would be in their 30's and might have DNA kits floating around in private databases, it's not super likely but it's just a thought.

She was left at the bus station, which was on the opposite side of Baltimore from the train station, (it is now one transportation center) where my other sister and her infant son were headed. Since my other sister needed more time, we dropped Judy off first. Names weren't on tickets at the time, and though it was non refundable, there is no way of knowing if she ever boarded that bus.

I don't remember what the event was, I assume it was the young peoples' concert, she was on the screen at least 5 times, closeup, dancing. It was outside, she was near portable lights (the big ones). So much has changed in 38 years. If I had to do it again, I would have been on it. I was 14 and didn't think, geez, I should get tape, call the Washington police. :( :(
Was there any directions in the case, comparisons to Jane Does along the route or anything like that you know of or how many times the bus may have stopped. I read up on what there is on the website you showed me and other stuff here and there and said she was prone to hitchhiking. Could it be a possibility that she boarded the bus but got off at a stop and failed to get back on for whatever reason? If it was anywhere in the country side, I know just from living out in the sticks, the shoulder of the road can be very dangerous at night and hit and runs out in the country can go unnoticed indefinitely if not reported.

You were 14 not knowing what you would feel or think after a couple of years or even for the rest of your life. I thing you do the best you can and what's in your ability, knowing you have a life of your own and a daughter (yes, she looks a lot like Judy) I wish I had a sister like you. Hug!

Daughter and two sons! :) bitofhope
Was there any directions in the case, comparisons to Jane Does along the route or anything like that you know of or how many times the bus may have stopped. I read up on what there is on the website you showed me and other stuff here and there and said she was prone to hitchhiking. Could it be a possibility that she boarded the bus but got off at a stop and failed to get back on for whatever reason? If it was anywhere in the country side, I know just from living out in the sticks, the shoulder of the road can be very dangerous at night and hit and runs out in the country can go unnoticed indefinitely if not reported.

A good friend was mowed down by a drunk driver when I was 15, and 4 months before my first child was born, my former sister in law's nephew and friend were mowed down. Both by drunk drivers. It's possible she sold the ticket for cash before she ever boarded. It's possible she made it back to NYC. It's all possible -- and the reason I have been so far down so many rabbit holes. My parents checked local morgues often before electronic stuff became available, and a relative of my dad's was working the interpol stuff. I have worked with the us marshal service And several local PD along the journey. It has been gut wrenching.

Daughter and two sons! :) bitofhope

A good friend was mowed down by a drunk driver when I was 15, and 4 months before my first child was born, my former sister in law's nephew and friend were mowed down. Both by drunk drivers. It's possible she sold the ticket for cash before she ever boarded. It's possible she made it back to NYC. It's all possible -- and the reason I have been so far down so many rabbit holes. My parents checked local morgues often before electronic stuff became available, and a relative of my dad's was working the interpol stuff. I have worked with the us marshal service And several local PD along the journey. It has been gut wrenching.
I can't even begin to imagine and my heart truly goes out to you. I wish there was more on the case to go off of, anything I suggest is just speculation but there is always hope, if not anything at least for an answer. Did any LE agency ever map out where she might have stopped along that route if she did in fact board the bus?

I can't even begin to imagine and my heart truly goes out to you. I wish there was more on the case to go off of, anything I suggest is just speculation but there is always hope, if not anything at least for an answer. Did any LE agency ever map out where she might have stopped along that route if she did in fact board the bus?
Not that I know of. The case was not reported for a.full 3 years, because no agency would take it. When it was finally accepted, it was FUBAR, and then eventually turned over to NYS ViCAP/ nys troopers. One of 2 missing persons cases in Albany. Because at the end of 1980, if you had a checkered past and you were over 18, "there's nothing we can do" ....

Yea it may not be super effective regarding crime solving in some respects, but if there is a possibility she had a child and gave it up or best case scenario just started a new life, her children would be in their 30's and might have DNA kits floating around in private databases, it's not super likely but it's just a thought.
Interestingly, my kids are 10, 12, and 15. Aged +5 yrs, hers could be 15, 16, and 22. My older sister's oldest turned 40 a month ago.

Greyhound has direct runs between Baltimore and NYC, probably did back then as well. I think enough people traveled between Baltimore and NYC that no stops were necessary. One bus a day may stop in Wilmington, DE. But for the most part no stops.

Interestingly, my kids are 10, 12, and 15. Aged +5 yrs, hers could be 15, 16, and 22. My older sister's oldest turned 40 a month ago.
Yea my math be off, but the principle is still the same. This digital world we live in is limited but still has endless possibilities. With sites like GEDMATCH, they can connect people who tested with all the major companies and with it being in the media over the capture of the Golden State Killer, more and more people are learning about so the database has probably gotten a decent boost. If she had offspring and they were adopted out, chances are they might be in some private database or gedmatch looking for answers. I have personally tried to help close relatives on my matched list figure out how we are related because they are adopted.

Hi Maureen. So much sorrow ... so many 'rabbit holes'. I have been reading what you have shared on these two threads, and want to acknowledge your compassion and dedication in searching for your sister. You have shared your hope, so I can be hopeful as well. Strength for your journey :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back