Found Deceased MD - Laura Wallen, 31, pregnant, Olney, 3 Sept 2017 #1 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know if the keys were found with her car? Was car locked or unlocked?

I wonder if it's just my school district or because I have a younger child, but I was under the impression that it was strongly discouraged or even forbidden for teachers to interact with students on social media. I'm in college right now and our professors have told us that they can only interact with us through the college email and/or blackboard system. They aren't allowed to use private emails, social media or any other form of communication.

This varies by the individual, but I know some people who are teachers and they won't friend their students while the students are at the school, but they will accept friend requests after the student has graduated. I'm personally friends with a few of my high school teachers- that being said, I'm old enough that Facebook didn't come out until I was in college, so we were far beyond the stage of me being their student, but every year after graduation time, I see them accept a ton of friend requests of students that just graduated.

As for colleges: This of course varies by school and the individual involved, but the school I went to for graduate studies didn't have any strict rules about social media interactions. I knew several TAs and professors who told their students they would not connect with them on social media, but that was because they wanted to keep their private life separate and not due to an actual rule. I'm sure there's a lot of variance on this, though.

She may have parked her car and walked, wonder if there are cameras along the road. Sounds to me like she did seem depressed/distraught in text but family does not want to say, in fear of maybe compromising her job, etc.

I have seen in the news where teachers have been fired or disciplined for having a photo on FB showing them holding a glass of wine. I doubt it is ever a good idea for a teacher to have their SM public or to be online friends with students. I know my niece has to keep hers private.
She parked in a fairly new development close to the Columbia mall. I assume there must be some cameras.

Also the development she parked on has 2 gates. So either she had the code or she parked on the visitors spaces. And if there was a gate most likely they were cameras too.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Do we know if the keys were found with her car? Was car locked or unlocked?

No information has been reported on her keys, purse, phone, or whether the vehicle was found locked or unlocked. The vehicle was found "unoccupied," is all that I have read, so far. .

Any word on whether the two lakes near Columbia Mall have been checked? It seems like a VERY populated area where it would be difficult for someone to harm themselves unnoticed, but worth clearing anyway.

I think in past cases, people who are voluntarily missing or suicidal generally stay with their cars, or in the immediate vicinity of their cars. Do you sleuthers agree or disagree with that?

Yes, with a few exceptions. See Paul Swenson's case. Although his official cause of death has not been released it appears his car was stolen from someplace where he left it with the keys in it and driven away from the body location with the thieves leaving random items in the car where it was abandoned. After he was found dead in a river police said they did not suspect foul play, leaving most to conclude suicide (or less likely natural causes) and that his car was stolen. Anyway, the reason I asked about the state of Laura's car is that she could have harmed herself someplace else but left her keys and purse in her car unlocked. Then someone else could have come along and taken her car and purse, leaving the car where it was found and taking her purse with them. In that scenario her body would not be anywhere near the car. I found it interesting that during the presser, LE did not want to give specific locations of where she might have been last because they did not want to limit the public in searching. If they suspected she was near her car still would they say that? Could they have some clues indicating she may not be near her car or may not be the one who left her car there, yet still not suspect foul play? IDK.

I wonder if it's just my school district or because I have a younger child, but I was under the impression that it was strongly discouraged or even forbidden for teachers to interact with students on social media. I'm in college right now and our professors have told us that they can only interact with us through the college email and/or blackboard system. They aren't allowed to use private emails, social media or any other form of communication.
I'm a teacher in a public high school and we're not allowed to connect on SM until they've graduated. I am in the deep South, so maybe it's regional?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Yes, with a few exceptions. See Paul Swenson's case. Although his official cause of death has not been released it appears his car was stolen from someplace where he left it with the keys in it and driven away from the body location with the thieves leaving random items in the car where it was abandoned. After he was found dead in a river police said they did not suspect foul play, leaving most to conclude suicide (or less likely natural causes) and that his car was stolen. Anyway, the reason I asked about the state of Laura's car is that she could have harmed herself someplace else but left her keys and purse in her car unlocked. Then someone else could have come along and taken her car and purse, leaving the car where it was found and taking her purse with them. In that scenario her body would not be anywhere near the car. I found it interesting that during the presser, LE did not want to give specific locations of where she might have been last because they did not want to limit the public in searching. If they suspected she was near her car still would they say that? Could they have some clues indicating she may not be near her car or may not be the one who left her car there, yet still not suspect foul play? IDK.

Pretty sure that whole press conference can be summed up as "We are here to give the appearance of informing the public without actually offering even one piece of information."

I'm a teacher in a public high school and we're not allowed to connect on SM until they've graduated. I am in the deep South, so maybe it's regional?

The student in the article was a graduated student though, correct? Even if only recently, their convo still could have been via social media AFTER he graduated. We really don't know, but for what it's worth I don't find it strange. I Had a teacher, probably about Laura's age, who all the kids loved and constantly hounded her about adding her on FB. The last day of school she assured everyone she'd accept their requests after graduation and keep in touch. (And this was years ago- it's probably even more common now)

I was a teacher in the deep South until a couple of years ago and there were many teachers connected to students on social media. I taught in a small city and many of those relationships were through church, not school. Parents and teachers were also friends. Moms were generally well educated and stayed at home...provided us an excellent pool of substitute teachers.

But I wouldn't think this would be the case in the D.C. area, where the community was not tight-knit.

Pretty sure that whole press conference can be summed up as "We are here to give the appearance of informing the public without actually offering even one piece of information."

I think they were asking for help, also.

I think they were asking for help, also.

I think so too. I almost got the impression that the guy talking (sorry I'm not sure if he's a sherrif or what, the one wearing the suit) was alluding that there have been tips from people who claimed to have seen her after 9am Monday. I can't remember exactly what he said. They also wouldn't comment on when she was last physically seen - I think they're hoping to get more tips and work through them to figure this out

I find it odd how the boyfriend responded to questions. Perhaps he is just under stress and said what came to mind but when asked about his last conversations with Laura he responded “I don’t know where she is, that’s all. I don’t know. . . . I’ll try to do everything we can to find her. I just pray that . . . I pray that she’s safe and she comes back. That’s all I care about right now.”

“Laura, if you’re listening, it doesn’t matter what’s happened. It doesn’t matter what type of trouble. There’s nothing we can’t fix together,”

It sounds like they got into a disagreement based on the above. He said he went to doctors appointments but never said my or our baby. He didn't state he was upset and that his child was in danger.

Her father stated she is alive and 'whoever is helping her'.

There seem to still be conflicting reports as to besides the Monday text when her parents or friends talked to her last. Some sites say they didn't hear from her Saturday or Sunday yet the neighbor allegedly saw her with groceries and walking her dog Saturday night. So it makes it sound like she was ignoring her parents texts.

I wonder if the Monday text mentioned anything about taking care of her dog.

I think there is more to the story than they are sharing and that she left voluntarily. Just doesn't make sense why should would leave and not notify the school if she loved her job so much and would potentially risk her future. JMO.

If they fought, I wonder if it was about one of them wanting to move in together but not the other. I really hope she is ok.

Would someone please post a link to the PC that audio is ok? I found one but it was all staticky TIA!

I find it odd how the boyfriend responded to questions. Perhaps he is just under stress and said what came to mind but when asked about his last conversations with Laura he responded “I don’t know where she is, that’s all. I don’t know. . . . I’ll try to do everything we can to find her. I just pray that . . . I pray that she’s safe and she comes back. That’s all I care about right now.”

“Laura, if you’re listening, it doesn’t matter what’s happened. It doesn’t matter what type of trouble. There’s nothing we can’t fix together,”

It sounds like they got into a disagreement based on the above. He said he went to doctors appointments but never said my or our baby. He didn't state he was upset and that his child was in danger.

Her father stated she is alive and 'whoever is helping her'.

There seem to still be conflicting reports as to besides the Monday text when her parents or friends talked to her last. Some sites say they didn't hear from her Saturday or Sunday yet the neighbor allegedly saw her with groceries and walking her dog Saturday night. So it makes it sound like she was ignoring her parents texts.

I wonder if the Monday text mentioned anything about taking care of her dog.

I think there is more to the story than they are sharing and that she left voluntarily. Just doesn't make sense why should would leave and not notify the school if she loved her job so much and would potentially risk her future. JMO.

I've never been convinced that's his baby

J.M.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members