MD MD- Leslie Jennings Preer, 50, murdered @ home in 2001, DNA identified suspect as daughter's ex, Eugene Teodor Gligor, 44, Maryland, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
''For twenty-three years, police worked diligently to determine who was responsible for killing Leslie Preer on May 2, 2001. Traditional DNA testing did not yield a match, and a suspect could not be identified. In September 2022, Montgomery County Police Department teamed with Othram to determine if advanced DNA testing could help to identify the perpetrator.

The Montgomery County Police Department submitted forensic evidence to Othram in The Woodlands, Texas so that a DNA profile could be developed for the unknown suspect. Using Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing®, Othram scientists built a comprehensive DNA profile for the unknown suspect. After completing the process, the DNA profile was delivered to investigators so that a forensic genetic genealogy search could be performed to develop new investigative leads in the case.''
June 20 '24
1718942354309.png
''The apparent ex-boyfriend of a Virginia woman is in custody for the 2001 murder of her mother in a homicide case that stumped Maryland authorities for 23 years.

Eugene Teodor Gligor, 44, has been arrested for allegedly killing 50-year-old Leslie Jennings Preer, who was found murdered inside her Chevy Chase, Maryland home after she did not show up for work on May 2, 2001, the Montgomery County Department of Police said Tuesday in a news release.

Investigators recovered DNA evidence from the crime scene in 2001, according to the department. In September 2022, "blood evidence from the scene was submitted to a lab for forensic genetic genealogical DNA analysis," resulting in Gligor being identified as a potential suspect, police added.''

Preer’s daughter, Lauren Preer, told WTTG-TV that Gligor was an ex-boyfriend from her teenage years. Lauren said she and Gligor grew up in the same neighborhood and dated when she was 15.

Lauren also said she ran into Gligor last year at a restaurant, saying, “I’ve spoken to him. He didn’t seem weird, and how you could look someone in the eye and know that you committed this crime and act like nothing happened is pretty unreal.”

1718969992321.png
rbbm
''Gligor was being held by the Washington Corrections Department on Thursday, according to its inmate information. Montgomery County police said in their statement that they requested that he remain in custody in Washington pending extradition to Maryland.''

''Preer's body appeared to have suffered trauma, police said, but the exact way she was killed hasn't been shared so it could be used in court should anyone be tried.''
''Jones said the motive was still being investigated. He said his detectives spent hours interviewing Gligor over the weekend, trying to determine why he might have attacked Preer.''

According to the article below, the victims husband had said he had a bad feeling about the accused// a gut feeling.

The husband was a prime suspect at one time, and died in 2017 of septic shock, though his daughter feels he died of a broken heart.

“Detectives obtained an arrest warrant Saturday and arrested Gligor in D.C. on Tuesday. He is scheduled to be arraigned in the next few days.

Preer plans to be there.

“I want to see him,” she said. “I want to give him a piece of my mind.”

Because for now, she said, all she wants to do is scream.”

According to the article below, the victims husband had said he had a bad feeling about the accused// a gut feeling.

The husband was a prime suspect at one time, and died in 2017 of septic shock, though his daughter feels he died of a broken heart.

“Detectives obtained an arrest warrant Saturday and arrested Gligor in D.C. on Tuesday. He is scheduled to be arraigned in the next few days.

Preer plans to be there.

“I want to see him,” she said. “I want to give him a piece of my mind.”

Because for now, she said, all she wants to do is scream.”

I am so moved. She and her father sooo loved her Mother.
These stories just gut wrench me...

Hopefully the time lags will be soooo much less with the current wonders of DNA.

Its cases like this that make you want to believe there is a life beyond..........
Ohhhhh how I wish Leslie's husband can look down on what is going on.
He knew and felt that Gligor was a suspect.

I send a report to the mods...
because the state and Leslie's age is wrong.
Thanks and apologies to all for the VA / Md. mix up!
LJ's age is listed some places as 50, others age 49.
''Eugene Teodor Gligor, 44, was arrested on June 18 by U.S. marshals in Washington, D.C., in connection with the May 2, 2001, killing of Leslie Preer, 49, at her Chevy Chase home, the Montgomery County Police Department announced.''
''Leslie Preer, 50, was murdered in her Chevy Chase home in 2001.''

Last edited:
''Eugene Teodor Gligor, 44, was arrested on June 18 by U.S. marshals in Washington, D.C., in connection with the May 2, 2001, killing of Leslie Preer, 49, at her Chevy Chase home, the Montgomery County Police Department announced.''

I think the title is just fine now... Leslie, 50. It was 59. But she even looks younger than 50 in those lovely pictures of her!!!

I am so moved. She and her father sooo loved her Mother.
These stories just gut wrench me...

Hopefully the time lags will be soooo much less with the current wonders of DNA.
Imagine what a difference it would have made for crimes like this if they had had today's technology. This suspect and so many others in other cases would not have had the luxury of a free life for all those years while the victims' families suffered endlessly.

<hugs> to Lauren. You are such a strong person. I am so sorry that you and your Dad had to go through this.

It’s ok— it was confusing since there’s a Montgomery county in MD and in VA-/ I only know since I’m from the area. I’m just glad that you created the thread and posted the articles!! Thank you!

This article has a picture of Gligor wearing a Stealth Monitoring” polo. I wasn’t able to repost the picture:

Arraignment today:

“He will be arraigned for first-degree murder in Montgomery County Court, and his bond hearing is scheduled for Monday. “

“She was beautiful inside and out. She was respectful, and smart and just amazing,” Lauren Preer said of her mother.

Last edited:
Maybe he remembered her being nice and thought she might loan him some money or well, most sinister reasons from the beginning...

“Unbeknownst to Eugene T. Gligor, investigators were quietly watching him as he walked through Dulles International Airport earlier this month. They saw him open a water bottle, drink from it and throw it away. Only after Gligor had moved on did they go grab the bottle.”

“The airport surveillance, as described by investigators in new court records, was a huge moment in the case, allowing them to collect genetic clues to test their possible match to a long-unsolved homicide from Chevy Chase, Md.”

“The DNA from Gligor’s water bottle,” police wrote in the records, “was a positive match.”

“The affidavit also reveals the full brutality of the crime scene. Police found blood on the walls and floor near the front door.”

Much more ar the link below:

This has a paywall but I opened it in a private browser. So horrific and prayers for her family :(

Last edited:
A tip had been submitted back in 2002 apparently. :(

“The tip that was located was from January 30, 2002, from a previous neighbor of Gligor, who thought that he may be somehow related to the Leslie Preer murder after finding out that he had previously been associated with her daughter, Lauren. The tipster had mentioned that the Gligor residence was often visited by the police due to noise and nuisance complaints, underage drinking, and drug use. Gligor and his mother moved out of the neighborhood in August or September of 2001.

The writer queried law enforcement databases and identified Eugene Teodor Gligor (DOB 11/09/1979) as a white male, 6’00” in height, weighing 160 pounds, residing at 1425 T Street NW, Apartment 201, Washington, DC, 20006. Gligor possesses a Maryland driver license, number G426237789861.

Further investigation into Gligor revealed previous arrests for weapons possession, driving under the influence, and theft. The writer located additional incident reports through Montgomery County Police Department where Gligor was listed as a suspect in thefts from residences and burglary. Gligor has never been arrested for any crimes where his DNA would have been obtained and entered into the CODIS database.“

It's kind of crazy that they had a tip from someone in 2002 saying that he might be involved and they never bothered to ask him if he would volunteer his DNA? Also, the fact that he was able to commit many other crimes and not have to give his DNA is frustrating.

A tip had been submitted back in 2002 apparently. :(

“The tip that was located was from January 30, 2002, from a previous neighbor of Gligor, who thought that he may be somehow related to the Leslie Preer murder after finding out that he had previously been associated with her daughter, Lauren. The tipster had mentioned that the Gligor residence was often visited by the police due to noise and nuisance complaints, underage drinking, and drug use. Gligor and his mother moved out of the neighborhood in August or September of 2001.

The writer queried law enforcement databases and identified Eugene Teodor Gligor (DOB 11/09/1979) as a white male, 6’00” in height, weighing 160 pounds, residing at 1425 T Street NW, Apartment 201, Washington, DC, 20006. Gligor possesses a Maryland driver license, number G426237789861.

Further investigation into Gligor revealed previous arrests for weapons possession, driving under the influence, and theft. The writer located additional incident reports through Montgomery County Police Department where Gligor was listed as a suspect in thefts from residences and burglary. Gligor has never been arrested for any crimes where his DNA would have been obtained and entered into the CODIS database.“

Why was this guy never arrested, with multiple crimes?
Why did he and his mother leave the neighborhood?
Where is mother now?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cshh74
Back