MD - Phylicia Barnes, 16, Baltimore, 28 Dec 2010 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it is safe to say this, but not sure.

After spending some time sleuthing on facebook, I found that PB is friends with many members of MJ's family and friends.
I found posts of PB's on their pages. Though PB's page is private, her posts on pages that are not private are visible.
PB was friending this group on FB in the late winter/early spring of 2010.

From PB's posts, it seems like she looked up to this group, and looked forward to her next visit. She seemed to want to be a part of this group, belong.

There are a lot of references to alcohol and marijuanna on the various pages.
Many of MJ's family/friends have posts about PB. They view her as a kid sister/friend person, and are very worried about her, and DB.

Unfortunately,the sleuthable people have private FB pages, so I really can't say anything else.

Didn't Phylicia's mom say she monitored all of her daughter's online activity, or am I mixing this up from another case? :(
If she was, wouldn't she have seen any postings re: alcohol, drugs, from older friends and been less likely to okay these visits? Or wouldn't she have been able to read them? Her mom seems very cautious and seems to have tried to protect her child in every possible way. I am so upset that her older sisters did not do the same.

Didn't Phylicia's mom say she monitored all of her daughter's online activity, or am I mixing this up from another case? :(
If she was, wouldn't she have seen any postings re: alcohol, drugs, from older friends and been less likely to okay these visits? Or wouldn't she have been able to read them? Her mom seems very cautious and seems to have tried to protect her child in every possible way. I am so upset that her older sisters did not do the same.

From the Peas in Their Pods interviews, PB's father, RB, said he monitored PB's facebook activity, and that she only communicated with friends and family. RB probably considers anything his adult children are doing to be okay, and their friends, as well.
PB's brother, BB, checked her email and facebook the night she went missing, to see if she had communicated with anyone who wasn't family/friends. She hadn't.
PB's mom said in early interviews that PB did not have internet access, and only communicated with school friends and her close family on facebook.

I wonder if it was the case where a parent trusted their child, who had always been honest and straightforward. The discussions and warnings seemed to have done their trick, so mom didn't actually read her FB postings after initially doing so? Most parents do not realize when their children start hiding things from them.It often takes parents months, if not a year or more, to figure out when things have started to go down the wrong path.

PB's Baltimore family was alluring and attractive, and out from under her mom's control. Mom thought everything was fine because she had grilled and interrogated the Baltimore family, and felt they were on the same page. Clearly they were not. It is very, very sad. Once again, knowing who your kids are talking to online is huge.

From PB's myspace stream. These posts just hurt to read.

May 14, 2009
"just talked to one of my freakin long lost sista this is BIG"

Dec. 28, 2009
"wit my sis n bmore"

Do we know if anyone took lie detector tests?
I don't think LE needs to look past those who were in and out of the apartment, personally.

LE is having a briefing now (10:00 a.m.) on Phylicia's case. Maybe afterwards, more info. will be released to the media.

Last night I was poking around myspace more, and found that PB had been friends w/MJ, (who is 26), and his younger brother (18) and an older brother (30) since 2009, when she connected with her Baltimore family. The younger brother told her she needed to come up to Baltimore to go to school. I was assuming that meant HS.
Nothing hinky in the communications, but it showed me that her connection with and perhaps admiration of this group had been going for a while. Perhaps connected to her decision to go to school in Baltimore.
I remember BB (PB's brother) saying that PB idolized DB, dressed like her, acted like her... (Peas in Their Pods interview)

Its sad that Hailey Dunn and Phylicia Barnes went missing a day apart, and Hailey's discussion is on thread # 13, and Phylicia isn't even on page 13.

Where are you Phylicia??

Its sad that Hailey Dunn and Phylicia Barnes went missing a day apart, and Hailey's discussion is on thread # 13, and Phylicia isn't even on page 13.

Where are you Phylicia??

I was having the same thought myself. And now I don't even see Phylicia's case on the front page of the area newspapers anymore - I didn't dig beyond that...

Where are you Phylicia??
Bear in mind that one of the reasons HD's thread is on #13 is that there is so much he said/she said, he said/he unsaid, she said/she unsaid stuff to wade through and try to decipher. Unfortunately, that is causing a number of other cases to drop off the radar.

Where are you Phylicia??

I haven't been following Hailey's threads, because it seemed like there were a lot of folks "on the case." And Phylicia had much fewer. So that's where I've been spending the bulk of my websleuthing time. This case really eats at me, because it feels like the lamb was led to the slaughter, so to speak. This did not have to happen. There are some older siblings/older friends who try and protect their younger siblings/friends. And there are others who try to indoctrinate their younger siblings/friends into drugs and alcohol because it is cool. Not always easy to tell how it is going to play out, because if the older sib/friend is inclined to share their drug use, they are not going to be up front about it with older adults. They are going to lie. And the younger sib/friend, thinking they have been included in some exclusive, cool club, doesn't share what is happening. Until it is too late.

Last night I was poking around myspace more, and found that PB had been friends w/MJ, (who is 26), and his younger brother (18) and an older brother (30) since 2009, when she connected with her Baltimore family. The younger brother told her she needed to come up to Baltimore to go to school. I was assuming that meant HS.
Nothing hinky in the communications, but it showed me that her connection with and perhaps admiration of this group had been going for a while. Perhaps connected to her decision to go to school in Baltimore.
I remember BB (PB's brother) saying that PB idolized DB, dressed like her, acted like her... (Peas in Their Pods interview)

Wanted to add that BB (PB's brother) is friends on FB/MS with MJ's brothers, too. It may be the case where people friend anyone and everyone, without really having any connection, so I'm not reading a lot into all of these friend connections on social networks. It just shows me that they were aware of each other, talked on occasion, and knew each other. I do believe that PB's Baltimore family thought that MJ and his family was good for PB to be around. I have to wonder if DB and MJ were truly splitting up, or if it was a half-truth to appease PB's mom. Why on earth would DB have left PB with MJ, alone, if they were splitting up? Things can go so wrong in relationship break-ups.

Where are you Phylicia??

I know what you mean Istrel. It is sad to say that age, race, and the sex of a person helps to constitutes the amount of publicity that is generated. The only way around that is to have the family of the missing person be knowledgeable and proactive on getting media help. Either that or to get a publicist to work to keep the missing person in-the-news. Some people are able to do that - others are so devastated that they can't even appear before the media.

yes the Haily Dunn case has a lot of twists and turns, but I think thats cause her family speaks the media and there is the case of the moms boyfriend being the last to see her, but I totally agree. We cannot let this case just die.

IF this "up and active" thing is true, then that really bothers me.

I'm going to take another approach here. The marijuana, the vodka... we know about, right? What do we not know about? Maybe they gave her something else... And maybe she didn't fall asleep but rather passed out, or had some sort of reaction. Maybe this other man slipped her something so she couldn't/wouldn't resist him. I don't know but I think it's possible.

But maybe she didn't tolerate it well. I'm thinking something like Natalie Holloway here, or at least the theories: that she had a bad reaction to something she was slipped by Joran. MOO

I think you are spot on. I've had the same nagging feeling since I found out about this case. I just caught up reading the entire thread.

The posts which follow the one I quoted above (post #220) have some excellent highlighted info. "she was up and active".... Has anyone noticed it seems a little too convenient the reported 'times' seeing PB revolve around: 1)Step sister going to work in the am 2)Being awake in time scheduled hair appt 3)Texts between PB and KB prior to the hair appt 4)followed by another text between half sister and her bf prior to her scheduled time to arrive home from work. Does that sound planned to anyone? I can't get past the only reported communication with PB that morning was electronically. No one outside of that apartment actually spoke with her. I'm wondering now if it was discovered either before or after half sister went for work Phylicia could not be woken that day - whether from an overdose of some kind. I realize the dogs tracking her to the parking lot and a car might throw that theory off, but if the door was left wide open with the music blaring it is possible either the half sisters BF or him and a friend helped 'carry' or make it appear like they were helping her to the car. Especially after what sounds like a fairly large party the evening before.

I'm curious to know about calls between the half sister and her bf that day. Was there a slew of back and forth as if they were panicking? Maybe they had to plan how to get a deceased Phylicia out of the apartment. I can imaging her sister thinking, omg I am screwed after having allowed a minor to consume alcohol and drugs in my home..... Or one of the guys thinking similiarly. I hope I am wrong but that is my initial 'gut'.

jmo

ETA: IF the above theory is accurate I don't think someone would take her to the known local dumping places. Those who lived there would want to distance themselves and likely place her farther away. HAs it been confirmed the bf was there all day?

I don't have much to add except, (as far as the Vodka & pot) I think the only reason the mother was told about it is b/c (the pics are posted on FB) by one of MJ's younger brothers. The mother probably went and saw those pics after PB came up missing.

DB had all day (Tues) that she herself could have phoned or text her sister PB to check on her. DB had time to text her boyfriend MJ, certainly, she would have text her very own sister (it would seem). Why was PB sleep @ 1:30pm? She must have been up all night long. Yet, DB had to work early on Tues. Who was PB up all night with. But, we know she had to awake before 1:30pm if she wrote on her FB she was hungry. Why would she go back to sleep if she was so hungry?

I'm wondering, who all was at the apt on (Tues) while DB was @ work? While researching on twitter, I noticed one of MJ brothers said he was at K house (the date says Dec 28th). I wondered if he was talking about KB (and I forgot what time the tweet was).

On FB, I can tell things were okay for the most part with PB on Dec 27th (from reading a thread one of her sisters typed on) the sister was telling some-one that she was chilling with her family member who was in town. Some-one asked; "who PB", she said (yes) and proceeded to say, "PB is here and wants to know when you are stopping by to visit".

Also, where did MJ go when he left at 1:30?

(respectfully snipped by me)
I can't get past the only reported communication with PB that morning was electronically. No one outside of that apartment actually spoke with her. I'm wondering now if it was discovered either before or after half sister went for work Phylicia could not be woken that day - whether from an overdose of some kind. I realize the dogs tracking her to the parking lot and a car might throw that theory off, but if the door was left wide open with the music blaring it is possible either the half sisters BF or him and a friend helped 'carry' or make it appear like they were helping her to the car. Especially after what sounds like a fairly large party the evening before.

I'm curious to know about calls between the half sister and her bf that day. Was there a slew of back and forth as if they were panicking? Maybe they had to plan how to get a deceased Phylicia out of the apartment. I can imaging her sister thinking, omg I am screwed after having allowed a minor to consume alcohol and drugs in my home..... Or one of the guys thinking similiarly. I hope I am wrong but that is my initial 'gut'.

jmo

ETA: IF the above theory is accurate I don't think someone would take her to the known local dumping places. Those who lived there would want to distance themselves and likely place her farther away. HAs it been confirmed the bf was there all day?

Great post, good thinking. I bolded the part above about the electronic communication. That's what stands out to me, as well. Not knowing if LE has gotten phone records, and if those phone records have revealed anything... On the Peas in Their Pods interview, a woman gave JS information about getting phone records (PB's) herself, instead of waiting for LE. Wonder if she did that.
The only knowledge we have of who was in that apartment is from DB and MJ themselves. MJ and DB say MJ left at 1:30. JS says DB told her MJ texted DB at 5, too. But that has never been confirmed by LE/MSM. I know LE has interviewed them repeatedly. But LE has not said they have alibis or external verification that they were where they said. I guess they could use cell phone pings?
I have to go back to the bit of info about PB speaking with her sister (CS or SS, mom's oldest daughter) on Monday night. After PB went missing, CS/SS revealed that PB felt uncomfortable with the men there, that someone hit on her and she turned him down. This was Monday night, right before she went missing. I ask again, who was the guy who hit on her and made her uncomfortable?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Squishy1166
Back