MD - Phylicia Barnes, 16, Baltimore, 28 Dec 2010 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just a thought about Baltimore and "dumping" locations. Even though I live not too far away, I'm not familiar with those locations. However, the most logical place to me would be the Bay...

Very rarely are bodies found in the bay. When they are, they are usually homeless people from the city who fell in around the Inner Harbor or people who fell from fishing boats.

Leakin Park, Franklintown Rd, is infamous for the many homicide victims found there. Just google "leakin park murders." This dates back to the '60s but I don't think it happens as often now. It's a very densely forested area in the middle of the city. I doubt if Phylicia will be found there. I don't think the poster at the Sun knows anything, was just making a comment about where a lot of missing people end up. It would be nice if they would contact the police so the police don't waste their time.

I apologize for the 3 posts in a row, but I found more about the poster to the Baltimore Sun that had the police searching the park doesn't know anymore than anybody else. This is at the end of the article:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-missing-teen-baltimore-20110104,0,2597415.story

The comment was posted by a Sun reader and frequent commenter, who uses the screen name Cham101, who in early November had posted a research project on her blog that attempted to map all the bodies found in Leakin Park over the years.

"The reason I said look at the 4000 block of Franklintown Road is because if someone disappears on the West Side that is ground zero of where they are going to be found," Cham101 posted on The Baltimore Sun's site after police said her comment had sparked the search. "The police should have searched in all these places 2 days ago. These are easy drop points for bodies and many many bodies have been found at these sites."

The poor mother didn't have all the information before she allowed her daughter to travel to visit her half-sister - that is obvious. The 27 yr old seems to have been living in an "open house' - the police called it a college flop house. Her father wasn't in Baltimore either. This article states he was in Atlanta. So the 16 yr old was at the mercy of the 3 older half-siblings and their lifestyle.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...ci-missing-teen-girl-20110103,0,6842080.story
Her father, Russell Barnes, traveled from Atlanta last week as friends and family scoured the city for Phylicia.
Barnes said he grew up in Baltimore, and his 27-year-old daughter lives in Northwest Baltimore
"She didn't know anybody in Baltimore but her sister — she didn't know anything about going anywhere," Barnes said.

I read somewhere (I think it might have been Fox) that an uncle of the girl was a Lt. on the city police force. That may have contributed to why the police have taken the actions to elevate the case that they have. Although I think a lot of the publicity is due to Phylicia's mother.

Wow! I've lived in different places in Baltimore county (a few miles outside of the city) all my life and this is the first I heard of this! And I watch the news and read the newspaper just about every day.
I actually live in Baltimore City and can literally see the county from my house...and I often hike with my family in Leakin Park. When we hike, my DH will 'joke' about watching out for the bodies. He's lived in the city for much longer than me and is familiar with Leakin Park's reputation as a 'dumping' ground for many things. In our experience over a decade here, it's a lovely place with trails and lots of wildlife (herds of deer, great birding, etc.). But the place does have a reputation, and it borders neighborhoods that are VERY on the 'edge' in certain places (it's a large park, so it also borders much nicer places).

FWIW.

I just watched an interview with PB's mom on a local TV channel...I am so hoping and praying that they find her safe and well.

I guess LE had to check but I am surprised they took the comment so seriously if that is a "usual" place to find bodies.

I am just sick about Phylicia. All she wanted to do was to have a fun adventure with her older sister(s) on her school break. I am frustrated and angry that her sisters would expose her to various grown men and drugs, alcohol, etc and not sure why she would ever have been out of sight of her sister. This did not need to happen.

Baltimore police report no new developments overnight in the search for Phylicia Barnes, the 16-year-old Monroe girl who went missing in the Maryland city more than a week ago.

Meanwhile, the person whose Internet tip sent police on a full-scale search of a Baltimore park Tuesday posted another note, posting other suggestions for where investigators should look.

The writer said the tip was based on Baltimore crime history, not on any specific information in the case.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...leads-in-search-for-monroe.html#ixzz1AAjU9ear

It would have been REALLY SMART of that commenter to actually say, "Hey, this is based on common knowledge of the area that ___ and ___ are frequent dumping grounds for bodies. Just FYI---not actually saying she will be found there, just giving you a starting point."

Instead of being all sneaky and abstract about it. What an idiot.

I can't believe that apartment was "never" locked??? How do you live in THAT area and NOT lock your doors??? Sometimes, just when I thought I was cynical enough about society, I hear something that just pushes my cynicism over more, lol.

Praying hard for this lovely young lady and her family.

It would have been REALLY SMART of that commenter to actually say, "Hey, this is based on common knowledge of the area that ___ and ___ are frequent dumping grounds for bodies. Just FYI---not actually saying she will be found there, just giving you a starting point."

Instead of being all sneaky and abstract about it. ...(snipped)...

I don't think she was being sneaky and abstract - I think she was just thinking it would be the obvious starting point. Her original comment was in response to an online article, not to LE. In hindsight, I bet she wishes she had not made that exact comment. But I don't believe she ever expected a search to start based on that comment. IMHO, I think her comment got LE on the move - which is a good thing.

Oh my I hope we have a good outcome. I do have a feeling things aren't going to be so nice, just the fact that so many men had access to this young girl, then you involve mary j and vodka! Not a good thing at all. Prayers for Phylicia and hope she is found very soon!

If she wasn't allowed to use the internet at home then how was she contacting her half sister via facebook?

You need an internet connection for facebook, whether it's a cell phone, computer, or ipod device....

If she wasn't allowed to use the internet at home then how was she contacting her half sister via facebook?

You need an internet connection for facebook, whether it's a cell phone, computer, or ipod device....

Exactly what I thought, she had a Myspace page as well so she was obviously on the internet some.

Good question.
She hadn't posted on her MS account since March of 2010. Maybe the internet limits were a more recent thing? Or maybe mom meant PB didn't have any unsupervised interaction with the internet?

Looks like last year she was in Baltimore for the holidays with her family (myspace message saying she was in Bmore with her sister).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeonGhostWolf
Back