MD - Phylicia Barnes, 16, Baltimore, 28 Dec 2010 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone asked in another thread today why some cases get so much attention, and others so little? This is one of those that have not, IMO, received anywhere close to the coverage it deserves. The Hailey Dunn case has 5 agencies involved as of today. AFAIK this one still only has regular LE.

Phylicia seems to be a fine young woman, and you can feel the pain from her mother. I am hoping for some leads and answers soon. This family should be receiving the full benefit of all possible resources as a child is missing!

I wonder if LE has reached out to other agencies? Not sure how it comes about that they are involved, but I thought they had to be "invited" by LE?

Hi guys, I was asked to come here and answer some questions that there might be about SAR dogs. I am not normally one to ask this (normally I read the entire backlog of threads), but I am swamped, so can someone point me to the questions or re-post them?
Thanks

Thanks sarx. SAR dogs tracked Phylicia's scent to a parking spot in the parking lot of the apartment building she had been staying at while visiting family. She'd been there for appx a week prior to her disappearance.

We were curious if it is possible the scent was from prior to the day she had been missing. Is there some way to say for certain the scent was from the day she went missing versus an earlier time?

For example, if a person parks in the same spot regularly and walks a routine path from their parking spot to their door/home how would scent dogs distinguish when the scent was left?

Thanks!

Cubby

Thanks sarx. SAR dogs tracked Phylicia's scent to a parking spot in the parking lot of the apartment building she had been staying at while visiting family. She'd been there for appx a week prior to her disappearance.

We were curious if it is possible the scent was from prior to the day she had been missing. Is there some way to say for certain the scent was from the day she went missing versus an earlier time?

For example, if a person parks in the same spot regularly and walks a routine path from their parking spot to their door/home how would scent dogs distinguish when the scent was left?

Thanks!

Cubby

Hey Cubby!
sarx brought my attention to this case, so I thought I'd check in and try to answer a couple of questions if I could.

What type of SAR dogs were used to track Phylicia's scent along this path? That would determine how well they could trail and/or track the scent.

Oriah

All I can say is WOW. I will post my semi-transcript as soon as I am done.
Here's a tidbit: One of MJ's younger brothers stayed over at DB's apartment Monday night...

Deena's ex's cousin or lil brother was staying at the house the night before. And its not clear whether MJ stayed there as well because her story changed. She previously said she didnt know he was there until Phylicia told her he was there during the day.

Deena's ex's cousin or lil brother was staying at the house the night before. And its not clear whether MJ stayed there as well because her story changed. She previously said she didnt know he was there until Phylicia told her he was there during the day.

Yeah. Very, very interesting.
I have to listen through a second time, to double check my quasi-transcript. Should have it up later tonight.

I am so disappointed in this crazy interview. So many things unanswered, contradicted and not making much sense. :banghead: So frustrating.

I am so disappointed in this crazy interview. So many things unanswered, contradicted and not making much sense. :banghead: So frustrating.

There's a lot of good here. The time line is much, much better now. It makes a lot of sense now. When you see it written out, it will help.

Hey Cubby!
sarx brought my attention to this case, so I thought I'd check in and try to answer a couple of questions if I could.

What type of SAR dogs were used to track Phylicia's scent along this path? That would determine how well they could trail and/or track the scent.

Oriah

We don't know. We only know Baltimore PD is handling this case. I don't know if we could find out..... would an 'in general' what LE would use help or should we see if we can find out what kind of dogs?

tia

Yeah. Very, very interesting.
I have to listen through a second time, to double check my quasi-transcript. Should have it up later tonight.

Anxiously waiting as you have time.

Am I understanding what I read correctly, Deena wasn't honest with who slept at the apartment the night before Phylicia went missing? Did Deena withhold this information?

I'll wait for further info.

If DB is withholding something and she was not or has not been 110% upfront and forthcoming with LE she has a lot more to hide than just contributing alcohol and marijuana to a minor.

imo and jmo

Peas in Their Pods http://www.blogtalkradio.com/peasintheirpods
With all three half-siblings. DB, KB, BB. “Peas” is the main host. “Jan” is the co-host who moderates the chat room and brings in other questions.
I have directly transcribed most of it, with some paraphrasing when things kept getting repeated. I also didn’t type things that were not factual for PB’s story (like the repeated support of the family).

Because this show is victim friendly, and not confrontational at all, they treaded lightly on some sensitive questions, like the one where DB is asked if drugs and alcohol were allowed, she said No, and then the hosts spent 5 minutes thanking her for clearing it up. So Be aware that some questions will not be answered to your full satisfaction…. With that, here you go. This is part I. I need to finish reviewing the rest, but need to go to dinner. So will post later tonight.

BB- Wanted to have everyone in one place, to clear up the questions.
Peas Asks DB what her side of the story is.
DB I am one of PB’s older sisters. I am 27 years old and have been in BM all my life. I am certified pharmacy technician. I am in the process of completing nursing school. I am one class away from entering a nursing program. I am studying to be a midwife. No children of own.
Peas- So you are a professional woman, an adult. PB came to visit with you. What is your relationship with your baby sister. You are fairly new to her life. She met you what, a couple of years ago?
DB The first time we met PB, she was 7 years old, at a Barnes family reunion we had. They are held every year, in the summer time, in BM. She came to BM with my dad. We met her that one time, and after that we didn’t’ have any contact with her. Until 2 years ago, this May, she contacted us via FB. From that point, we all clicked and we all wanted to get to know each other and spend time with each other. She got contact with us in May, and we (KB and DB) drove to NC to pick her up and bring her to the family reunion in Atlanta that summer..
Peas So this was not the first time she had visited you then in BM.
DB This was her 5th time visiting BM.
Peas How familiar was she with the city?
DB Not at all. Anywhere she would go, we would go together. She’s not familiar with the city, getting on busses or light rail or anything like that.
Peas So she wouldn’t go exploring the city on her own.
DB No, she did not go off. She doesn’t know anybody except us and the family and people we associate with.
(Minute 10)
Peas And how about you, KB? You are PB’s older sister as well, correct?
KB Yes.
Peas Did you live with DB, or elsewhere? How far away were you?
KB We live about ten minutes apart.
Peas So you would spend time with her while she was visiting?
KB I have two jobs, so not as much, but I did see her this time, over Christmas. I was at the house the night before this happened. And of course Christmas, and She came to work with me some.
Peas what was her mood like?
DB Well, we had a count down for her visit. She could’t wait to come. And I couldn’t wait for her to come. We were all excited about her coming. Whlie she was visitingk, we spent time together as family, mostly. On Christmas day we went to my grandmothers house and opened gifts. We came back to my house, played around, looked at pictures, and went to a movie. We did a lot of things and spent a lot of time with family. I took her to work with me, my sister took her to work with her. We were spending time together.
Peas What was her mood like during her visit? What was her Personality?
DB Happy, bubbly. She communicated with her friends daily in NC, on her phone, FB, Skype…. Her fiends, her little sister back home, her family.
Peas So she was a regular teen on FB, communicating with friends, doing what normal teens do during the day . Did she have any friends in BM? Had she befriended anyone here>
DB Not anybody that we wouldn’t consider close, people we knew. She hadn’t went off and met any friends on her own that we didn’t know.
Peas Tell us about Dec. 28th. Can you bring us through the day?
DB That day I woke up to go to work. PB stayed home. My sister KB was going to pick her up later in the day, because PB had called her that morinign to pick her up. She didn’t go to work with me that day. I went to work, and we texted and talked on the phone about getting her hair done and getting some products for her face. So we were texting and talking about that. When I noticed something was wrong was when I got home at 6 pm and she wasn’t there. She was not in the house. I began to call people that she may be with . My sister, brother, my ex boyfriend, his brother… I contacted these individuals and the last time anyone saw her was at 1:30 and they said she was asleep at that time.
Peas Who last saw PB at 1:30?
DB My ex. He saw her at 1:30.
Peas Where was she when he saw her?
DB She was sleeping.
Peas Why was your ex there? Was he living there? Was it customary for him to be around there? What was the deal?
DB (Big pause, whispering in background.) He was actually…moving out at the time. We are going through a break up at this time.
Peas For the week prior, while PB was there, he was there, and you were going through the breakup and he was moving out that day?
DB No, it was ongoing. That was in process before PB even got there. We talked about the move out the beginning of Dec so that was already in process.
Peas Were you aware that he was coming that day? Was that something you found out after the fact? Did he have to clear it with you? Is there any reason he should not have been there?
(Minute 17)
DB No. Because he was still on the lease, he had a key. I did not he was going to be at the apartment that day, except for to pick up his little brother from the apartment. I did know he was picking up the little brother.
Peas We have been doing so much research, one of the reports I read, something I read said she was sleeping on the couch or fell asleep on him on the couch. (GJ-This actually came out of JS’s interview with Peas, iirc…)
DB That was a statement about the last time she was seen was asleep on the couch.
Peas But not asleep ON anyone?
DB No, no, no. Asleep on the couch.
Peas At 1:30, your ex…are you able to share his name?
DB No.
Peas Okay, so your ex was there and saw PB asleep on the couch at 1:30. He left. You got home at 6, she wasn’t there, you did your fact finding to see if KB had picked her up..
DB I called my brother, I called my ex, called my ex’s boyfriend, I mean little brother, I’m sorry. I made few phone calls, and when I couldn’t find her with anybody, I knew something was wrong. I called my dad and my uncle, was calmed down by them and then I called the LE.
Peas How much time went by, were you searching for her, when you called the police?
DB Maybe an hour, hour and a half? The call I put in was 7:30-ish or so. And I got home at 6.
Peas Was anything out of place?
DB No.
Peas Her belongings… BB you shared that she had her house slipper boot things on. Would that be normal for her to leave the house with those?
(Minute 20)
DB I actually told her not to go outside with them. We had gone to the mall Sunday prior to her disappearance, and I bought her those slippers and told her not to wear them out of the house. They have a slipper sole, and your feet are going to get wet. It’s going to soak right through.

So she said her ex was going to go by to pick up his little brother? He stayed there overnight? No one seems to have asked her about that, in the interview.

If DB is withholding something and she was not or has not been 110% upfront and forthcoming with LE she has a lot more to hide than just contributing alcohol and marijuana to a minor.

imo and jmo

Yes this is the first time I am hearing that the lil brother stayed the night and that he was left alone with PB. The police should hear that interview.

We don't know. We only know Baltimore PD is handling this case. I don't know if we could find out..... would an 'in general' what LE would use help or should we see if we can find out what kind of dogs?

tia

Absolutely..considering this is in the Baltimore area- I will find out for you. I'm guessing that they pulled out their K9's first and then swiftly followed up with certified trailers. There are quite a few in the area, and quite a few very qualified handlers.
I'm sorry to not be familiar with this case. Can you tell me if there are any possibly race related issues in the PD involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member