Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SEP 8, 2023
Harford County Sheriff Jeff Gahler on Thursday evening dismissed social media posts claiming to have identified Rachel Morin’s killer.

[...]

“I know there were many out there who were hopeful when several claims to have identified the suspect were and currently are being circulated on TikTok,” Gahler said in a video posted Thursday. “We have investigated those claims as well and found them not to be relevant to the investigation into Rachel’s murder.

[...]

Moo.. if I was to find some stranger in my house the conversation would be " what the *advertiser censored** you doing..get out now" the child might of been watching events unfold and been pushed out of way by creeper dude. The shirtlessness, he can use it to cover hands so no finger prints...and for description to police would be shirtless guy in house. Though when police looking for him, he would now be wearing shirt......moo

Adding comments from the Facebook Case Update posted upstream-
  • Suspect burglarized an occupied home
  • There was an assault, but not sexual in nature
  • Assault victim was a minor
  • LAPD collected DNA during the investigation
  • There is no video of the suspect entering the home
  • The arm shown in the video - LE has identified the person, they have no involvement in the crime
This doesn't get us any closer to answers, only more questions IMO.
  • Pretty ballsy to enter an occupied home.
  • What was taken in the burglary?
  • Why assault a minor, was he/she home alone? Am I imagining that at some point early on, LE said the minor was a female?
  • If there was no video of his entry, could the DNA be from an injury obtained while breaking in?
  • Sheriff's comment on the arm is as clear as mud - still no idea if that is the victim or another person slamming the door.
I'm not sure if I’m slowly becoming deluded by all the facts of this case but why was everyone following this case running with the fact that the assault was SA? We’re there previous articles before that stated it was sexual in nature? or did everyone just assume this due to the fact the perp was shirtless in the doorcam footage?

I'm not sure if I’m slowly becoming deluded by all the facts of this case but why was everyone following this case running with the fact that the assault was SA? We’re there previous articles before that stated it was sexual in nature? or did everyone just assume this due to the fact the perp was shirtless in the doorcam footage?
LE has been adamant that there was no sexual assault in the LA case.

Law Enforcement in Los Angeles had stated that the Assault at the home in Inglewood/Compton was not Sexual Assault. Detectives working the Morin case have not yet echoed those statements.

Due to what we know about what happened to Rachel Morin, and the fact that LAPD obtained DNA evidence for what they're calling was Assault and Burglary (something that generally does not warrant DNA collection); it has been speculated that LAPD published misinformation in attempt to protect the integrity of the investigation or the safety of the victim.

"The way he left casually. Rapists usually don't get completely undressed and it looks like he did. I see a necklace on his neck, looks like a tight one that he can probably leave on wherever he goes. I'm not sure if that's a G.I. haircut or not. I also see as he walks away that he has something in his hand under his sweater. It's pretty hot everywhere — why have a sweater?" Chapman said.

Chapman noted the suspect appears to have a cell phone in his right hand in the Ring video as he's leaving the L.A. home where his DNA had been linked to the sexual assault of a child.
"With that haircut, he might be military. He also did not run away. Could it be that the first victim knows who he is, may have said, 'I'll come back and kill you if you tell anyone.' What about his car? Did other cameras across the street capture his car? He could've driven by a cell phone tower and everyone who drives by that tower is reported, so what tower did he hit off of?" Chapman said.

Jennifer Coffindaffer, a former FBI agent and NewsNation contributor, said during the broadcast the Ring video indicates the man is “exercising control” over the victim.
“It seems he was able to leave completely nonchalantly and not concerned about anything. I do think it is a good thing he left through that front door. I wonder if perhaps she offered that, knowing she had a Ring camera,” Coffindaffer said. “We know he didn’t enter that way.”
That haircut is popular with the soccer boys where I live. Hockey boys tend to go for the longer flow.

I wonder what caused the Sheriff’s office to change course from their belief it was a random attack, to now being unsure if RM knew her killer. And why do they think her murderer might have been infatuated with her?

Meanwhile, Sheriff Gahler said they are still trying to determine whether Morin knew her attacker or whether her murder was a crime of opportunity. Previously, sheriff’s officials had said they believed Morin’s murder was the result of a random attack.

Gahler said that it is not known whether the suspect chose Morin at random as she walked on the trail at dusk or if “somewhere along the way they had crossed paths and he developed an infatuation.”

'Sep 9, 2023
DNA found at Bel Air site where Rachel Morin was found dead is linked to a burglary and assault suspect that occurred in Los Angeles, California. WBAL's Jayne Miller was joined by Lynnda Watson, DNA and forensic consultant, to discuss the murder case.'

it has been speculated that LAPD published misinformation in attempt to protect the integrity of the investigation or the safety of the victim.
RSBM
While it is true that police can lie to suspects under certain circumstances, it would be extremely rare for them to lie about a sexual assault to the general public. A sexual assault victim, regardless of age, is protected from being publicly identified. I don’t see how simply admitting that a SA had occurred would upend the integrity of an investigation and the coverup of such an incident could jeopardize public safety.

Thanks for the clarification. i think I was misled by the general consensus. Upon reading many comments under videos and Facebook posts about the case it seems many thought it was sexual in nature.
Also the general consensus is the victim of the LA home invasion case is a female.

The gender of the victim has never been announced. Since many think the assault must be sexual in nature they assume the minor victim in that case must be a female.

RSBM
While it is true that police can lie to suspects under certain circumstances, it would be extremely rare for them to lie about a sexual assault to the general public. A sexual assault victim, regardless of age, is protected from being publicly identified. I don’t see how simply admitting that a SA had occurred would upend the integrity of an investigation and the coverup of such an incident could jeopardize public safety.
They seem to have gotten more protective in recent years.
Maybe the particular house itself could be considered an identifier.

I wonder what caused the Sheriff’s office to change course from their belief it was a random attack, to now being unsure if RM knew her killer. And why do they think her murderer might have been infatuated with her?

Meanwhile, Sheriff Gahler said they are still trying to determine whether Morin knew her attacker or whether her murder was a crime of opportunity. Previously, sheriff’s officials had said they believed Morin’s murder was the result of a random attack.

Gahler said that it is not known whether the suspect chose Morin at random as she walked on the trail at dusk or if “somewhere along the way they had crossed paths and he developed an infatuation.”

I read that apparently she was a model. She certainly was striking. He could have been following her on SM. When they said she didn't know her killer, I'm sure they were looking at friends, lovers, exes and acquaintances etc. Moving beyond that, it would be hard to know if they had ever met etc.

Also the general consensus is the victim of the LA home invasion case is a female.

The gender of the victim has never been announced. Since many think the assault must be sexual in nature they assume the minor victim in that case must be a female.
Quote from Sheriff's office stating LA victim was female:

" 'This DNA evidence has come back as a match tied to a home invasion and assault of a young girl in Los Angeles," said Col. William Davis, of the Harford County Sheriff’s Office."

Quote from Sheriff's office stating LA victim was female:

" 'This DNA evidence has come back as a match tied to a home invasion and assault of a young girl in Los Angeles," said Col. William Davis, of the Harford County Sheriff’s Office."

Thank you for finding that, as I was just about to look for it.

Last edited:

Start at 1:30 - Colonel William Davis states -

1:32
DNA evidence is I mean this DNA evidence
1:35
has come back as a match
1:37
tied to a home invasion and
1:39
an assault of a young girl in Los
1:41
Angeles this past March

Status