Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

6/1/21​

Maryland Just Enacted a Historic Law Preventing the Misuse of Genetic Information​

When no match can be found in CODIS, which contains short tandem repeat (STR) DNA profiles, law enforcement will conduct single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) tests on evidence. Using this information, law enforcement can then search certain ancestry DNA databases like GEDmatch and FamilyTreeDNA for commonalities because the closer the biological relationship between two individuals is, the more DNA they share. Then they use public data — including census records, social media, and other public databases — to build “family trees” and identify possible relatives of the person whose DNA was found at the crime scene. This process, known as forensic genetic genealogy, was most famously used to identify a suspect in the Golden State Killer case.

Maryland’s new legislation requires that this process only be used in investigations with the knowledge and oversight of a judge and establishes a panel of stakeholders to conduct an annual review of its use. The law also requires that labs performing forensic genetic genealogy be accredited by the Maryland Department of Health’s Office of Health Care Quality and limits its use to cases involving murder, rape, felony sexual assault, and criminal acts involving “circumstances presenting a substantial or ongoing threat to public or national security.”

There are people on social media saying Maryland does not allow the use of forensic genetic genealogy DNA databases. Not true, if approved by a Judge, the lab is accredited by the State and like in this case - a murder was committed.
Yes, I posted that yesterday. This case definitely meets the threshold, IMO. I wonder if they already have the court order to do it. Would that be made public at this point? I am guessing no...

6/1/21​

Maryland Just Enacted a Historic Law Preventing the Misuse of Genetic Information​

When no match can be found in CODIS, which contains short tandem repeat (STR) DNA profiles, law enforcement will conduct single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) tests on evidence. Using this information, law enforcement can then search certain ancestry DNA databases like GEDmatch and FamilyTreeDNA for commonalities because the closer the biological relationship between two individuals is, the more DNA they share. Then they use public data — including census records, social media, and other public databases — to build “family trees” and identify possible relatives of the person whose DNA was found at the crime scene. This process, known as forensic genetic genealogy, was most famously used to identify a suspect in the Golden State Killer case.

Maryland’s new legislation requires that this process only be used in investigations with the knowledge and oversight of a judge and establishes a panel of stakeholders to conduct an annual review of its use. The law also requires that labs performing forensic genetic genealogy be accredited by the Maryland Department of Health’s Office of Health Care Quality and limits its use to cases involving murder, rape, felony sexual assault, and criminal acts involving “circumstances presenting a substantial or ongoing threat to public or national security.”

There are people on social media saying Maryland does not allow the use of forensic genetic genealogy DNA databases. Not true, if approved by a Judge, the lab is accredited by the State and like in this case - a murder was committed.

Now I'm seeing it doesn't even have to be a formal warrant. Judge signs off. Montana is more restrictive and requires a warrant.

MD
(b) A sworn affidavit shall be submitted by a law enforcement agent with approval of a prosecutor from the relevant jurisdiction asserting that:
(1) the crime is the commission of, or the attempt to commit, murder, rape, a felony sexual offense, or a criminal act involving circumstances presenting a substantial and ongoing threat to public safety or national security;
(2) the forensic sample to be subjected to the FGGS is biological material reasonably believed by investigators to have been deposited by a putative perpetrator and that the forensic sample was collected from:
(i) a crime scene;
(ii) a person, an item, or a location connected to the criminal event; or
(iii) the unidentified human remains of a suspected homicide victim

(3) an STR DNA profile has already been developed from the forensic sample, was entered into the statewide DNA database system and the national DNA database system, and failed to identify a known individual; and
(4) unless the crime being investigated presents an ongoing threat to public safety or national security concerns, reasonable investigative leads have been pursued and failed to identify the perpetrator.

So restrictive to address privacy concerns but they meet it imo

Last edited:
A day late..

TRANSCRIPT OF PRESS CONFERENCE

17TH AUGUST

COLONEL
- Last night we received critical pieces of information and our detectives have been working throughout the night and today, running down our new leads. Once the new evidence came to light, Sheriff (?), was adamant that we needed to inform our community as soon as possible, and that's why we're here tonight.

As you know, since Saturday, August 5th., 12 days ago, the Harford County Sheriff's Office has been working around the clock, to get justice for Rachel Morin and hopefully bring peace to her family. Since that first day, over 300 community tips have flooded our inboxes and emails. Her death has grabbed local, state, national and international headlines, everyone with the same goal, find the killer and bring justice to Rachel.

DNA evidence is part of nearly every modern day investigation, and in Rachel's case, DNA evidence was collected by our Forensic Services Unit. That DNA was analysed by the Maryland State Police and it was ran through the National CODIS system.

This DNA evidence has come back as a match, tied to a home invasion and an assault of a young girl in Los Angeles, this past March. Unfortunately, that suspect has not been positively identified, but he did leave behind his DNA. Based on the DNA evidence, we consider the individual in the video we obtained from the Los Angeles Police Department, and that we are about to show you on our TV screens, to be the person that murdered Rachel Morin on August 5th. So we're now going to show the video. Just so everyone's aware, this video, after this press conference, will be posted on our social media.

Based on our analysis of this video and witness observations, we believe the suspect to be approximately 5ft 9, 160lbs. and of hispanic descent. If you have any information about this suspect, we are asking you to please call our detectives at our tip line and the tip line number is 410-836-7788, and we've also established a dedicated tip email address and that email address is www.rmtips@Harfordsheriff.org

We want to make it clear that we believe the suspect acted alone and he doesn't represent the entire Hispanic community of Harford County, who we are now partnering with to identify this suspect. I know I can speak for the sheriff when I say - we are immensely proud of this community. Our community will not be defined by this tragedy. Our community is one that will work together to get the job done and bring this suspect to justice. In the meantime, in the light of this new evidence, I urge our citizens to use caution while walking on our trails and throughout our community. Be alert, walk with a friend, don't allow yourself to be distracted by your cell phone or headphones. And finally, if you see something that makes you feel uncomfortable, or that you think is suspicious, act on those instincts and call 911. And lastly, we will continue our increased presence on the Ma & Pa Trail.

REPORTER - Do you have any other details on what happened in Los Angeles, exactly where or, you know, anything about what this person did there?

COLONEL - So, when it comes to the details about Los Angeles that'sm information that the LAPD has, and we're just going to refer people to the LAPD to get those details. Only thing I can tell you, it was an attack on a young girl.

REPORTER - Any word about a possible motive, like was Rachel missing any money or anything like that?

COLONEL - So, we are not going to talk about the crime scene at this time, because as I've said in previous interviews, we don't want to talk about the crime scene or what happened at the crime scene, because once we catch this person, we want to make sure we got the right person and the only people that know what happened at that crime scene, when we catch the person, is us and that suspect, so we're not giving any details about that.

REPORTER - Again, how did you come across... what led you to this particular suspect, this person?

COLONEL - So, we collected DNA from our crime scene, the Maryland State Police analysed that DNA for us, ran it through the National CODIS system, and that came back as a match to the crime that occurred in Los Angeles, where they had recovered DNA from this person that you saw on the video.

REPORTER - The video that we watched - tell us about... I mean, Los Angeles police released it to you, but what is that, is it at a home, is it at a scene of a crime?

COLONEL - It is at a home and that is the suspect leaving the home, the scene of the crime there.

REPORTER - And that was a home invasion and an assault?

COLONEL - Correct.

REPORTER - Of a little girl, is that what you said?

COLONEL - A young girl and I'm gonna leave it at.. a young girl. I don't want to talk about the family there, but it was a young girl in the house that got assaulted.

REPORTER - What does this do to the case? You have an image there of a person you think is believed to be responsible for this. What does that do for the case?

COLONEL - Well, I think now it kind of leads us down the path that, we believe, this was a person that Rachel probably didn't know. Maybe, you could say, potentially, a random act of violence, and we're hoping that the community now can watch that video, and we've also got still pictures that we're going to be putting out and if somebody can identify him.

REPORTER - Have you narrowed it down to a certain area? Do you could think he could still be, like, somewhere on the Ma & Pa trail...?

COLONEL - We don't have any clue where he could be. We don't even know if he's still in Harford County or in the state of Maryland, because obviously in March, he was in California and then, here in August, he was here in Maryland, so we don't know if he's still here or not.

REPORTER - Do you have any evidence that he was targeting people along that trail, or do you believe this was completely random?

COLONEL - I don't need to be speculating, we do not know.

REPORTER - Do you think he may be armed, have any weapons, anything like that?

COLONEL - Again, speculation.

REPORTER - You describe him as 5ft 9, 160lbs., hispanic male. Do you have an approximate age?

COLONEL - Oh yeah, we believe he is low to mid 20s.

REPORTER - Do you have a date for when the Los Angeles home invasion happened?

COLONEL - I'm just gonna put out that it was in March. LAPD knows that we're doing this press conference, so if you call them they would probably be able to give you that information.

REPORTER - How rare is this to have a DNA hit from the other side of the country? Can you talk about that process and how that works?

COLONEL - This is the first time I've seen a hit in a case that I've been involved in, that was that far away for a DNA hit. So, I wouldn't say that it's unheard of, but certainly unusual.

REPORTER - For the record, you don't have his name or where he lives, or anything like that, if he's from LA or...?

COLONEL - We don't know. We know nothing more about him other than he was in LA and committed that crime in March, and he was here in August and is the murderer.. we believe, to be the murderer of Rachel Morin.

REPORTER - To follow up on that question. You identified him through DNA evidence, through this database, so there's no name associated with that..?

COLONEL - No. There's no name associated because it's just evidence from a crime that was submitted and his DNA... like being arrested and getting DNA, none of that is in the system. However, we are working with.. we have called the FBI, and we are working with some of their DNA experts and their crime lab to try to help us further analyse this DNA.

REPORTER - Without compromising the investigation, can you tell us - Rachel was found and it was determined that it was a homicide?

COLONEL - Correct.

REPORTER - Was there turmoil(?), was she beaten, what was the nature of..?

COLONEL - All we've said so far, and I think we're gonna leave it at, is that it was a violent attack.

REPORTER - Was there a relationship at all between Rachel and the suspect?

COLONEL - Well, again, we just got this information last night, not that we have been able to determine yet. We don't know of any relationship or that they were known to each other, before this incident, so I can't really say, right now, no.

REPORTER - Obviously, this already has the community on the edge. Somebody out here who's just murdered someone. What's your message to the community? Obviously people are scared.

COLONEL - Yeah, we want our community to be vigilant. Obviously, the Ma & Pa Trail has been opened since the day after Rachel was discovered. We have a very large amount of deployment on the Ma & Pa Trail. We're going to continue that deployment, until either this person is caught or we believe he's not in the area anymore, but our plan is to be vigilant for our community. Our community has been just tremendous with the support they give us and trying to figure out what's going on and calling in tips. And we're hoping that maybe even people from LA will see this interview and see that this person committed that crime there, and maybe somebody knows him. We believe, and we hope, that somebody who actually knows this suspect that's in the video, will be able to identify him for us.

REPORTER - Are you revealing where the DNA was found?

COLONEL - No.

REPORTER - Was it under her fingernails or..?

COLONEL - No, we're not going to reveal that.

REPORTER - That video was from Los Angeles, after the assault?

COLONEL - Yes. That is the suspect leaving the assault that occurred in March in Los Angeles.

REPORTER - Doorbell cam., right..?

COLONEL - Errr.. I mean...

REPORTER - Home security cam, right?

COLONEL - Yes.

Any other questions? All right. Well, thank you very much.
Thank you.

I’d like to know more about RM’s work. It’s been reported she ran a cleaning service and worked flexible hours that permitted her to take care of her children.

Did she have employees? Were they long term? Did she hire transient employees on occasion? And keep good records on such? How did she advertise to hire employees? Did she clean residential homes?… or offices or businesses?

Last edited:
I’d like to know more about RM’s work. It’s been reported she ran a cleaning service and worked flexible hours that permitted her to take care of her children.

Did she have employees? Were they long term? Did she hire transient employees on occasion? And keep good records on such? How did she advertise to hire employees? Did she clean residential homes?… or offices or businesses?
It appears she was the only name connected to her business https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_md/W19508878
It also appears the business name was forfeited in January 2022.

It appears she was the only name connected to her business https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_md/W19508878
It also appears the business name was forfeited in January 2022
That’s odd, because in this article clients who were also friends were quoted as saying RM had cleaned for them for eight years and they had recently noticed she seemed distracted. That sounded like a current client relationship.

Remember this story about investigative genetic genealogist Gabriella Vargas?

Or CeCe Moore - ABOUT CECE

Amazing women, amazing results!!

Thanks, Knox... Learned some new details, and points of interest here!
I wish I could be one of them, "when I grow up"...

just wondering why he is not fully clothed if not a sexual attack?
Clearly there is something going on in that case, we aren’t privy too. The video doesn’t match the little information we have.

But someone knows who this guy is. Hopefully all the media attention gets his picture to the right person soon.

It also appears the business name was forfeited in January 2022.
The State revoked her business filing because she didn’t file her annual report. Rachel may have wanted to start deducting expenses, make wholesale purchases, or perhaps even hire an employee or two - but didn’t follow through on filing.

It’s easier just to work for cash unless you really intend to grow the business. The problem is not all people will pay cash off the books, certainly not a business who would want to write that off as an expense on their taxes.

Not sure if I can post examples, but if you Google 5'9" 160 lb male, there's a lot of different body types that fit that mold, both muscular and not. I think it's accurate.
You have to know whether or not such figures are self-reported. I used to work in a job that required me to have our customers record their heights and weights--self-reported--, and I've seen hundreds of people, from all walks of life, do it. I learned something surprising by doing this. Most people--both men and women--tend to be honest about their weights. Most women tend to be honest about their heights. However, most men who are less than 6' tall, will exaggerate their heights by 2 or 3 inches (occasionally more). And by "most", I mean that at least 85% of men in that demographic, of all races, do this. Since I knew how tall I was, I could compare the height of a customer to my height, and get a good estimate of his. So I can tell you confidently, that if a man self-reports his height, the figure is very likely to be untrustworthy, if his actual height is less than 6 feet. Apparently, a great many men are insecure about their heights, and want desperately to be "tall".

Men who were 6 feet tall, or taller, rarely, in my experience, exaggerated their heights. (I will have to say, that people shrink as they pass through middle age, and a couple of my relatives, who were once about 6'2", still claim to be, even though they're not.....:))

@Wishbone said “just wondering why he is not fully clothed if not a sexual attack?” RSBM
One possible theory on the “perp leaving crime scene” video in the LA case (based on what little we know about it).:
Suspect entered the home somewhere other than the front door with the intention of committing a burglary. Once he was inside, he encountered the “young” female victim. He becomes aroused and decides to commit a sexual assault on her. She becomes terrified and the suspect experiences a moment of guilt and does not sa her. This sometimes happens in cases where a suspect has fantasized about rape or murder but can’t bring himself to do it on the first try. He tells the young girl he is not going to hurt her and leaves before he submits to his fantasies. She follows him to the door so she can lock it behind him.
Or
Did he encounter/observe the intended victim somewhere and stalk her or befriend her?

There is also a possibility that he heard someone returning home through a back or garage door, grabbed his clothes and tried to sneak out. This might be why he looks a bit nonchalant when he was leaving, so as not to make noise or draw attention to himself.

Obviously there is an escalation and completely different MO in RM’s case.
Was the LA case a learning experience? Did he now feel entering a home was too risky? After leaving the LA crime scene, was he angry that he did not get to experience his fantasy or mad at himself for not completing it? Was this why the attack on Rachel was so violent?
Clearly there is something going on in that case, we aren’t privy too. The video doesn’t match the little information we have.

But someone knows who this guy is. Hopefully all the media attention gets his picture to the right person soon.

There was talk of Rachel being "distracted" her last week alive. I wonder if she was distracted in a *good* way? She was in a new relationship and probably happy and in love! I know how new relationships can sometimes consume all your thoughts and time. Could this be why she was "distracted"?

"Ms Woltz, who hired Morin’s cleaning services, also said that she seemed distracted during the week before her death."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141