Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't picture it being someone she knew as a person who knew her would have opportunity to do harm indoors, away from the public eye, in private. Even an estranged family member like an ex could maneuver privacy. Domestic violence that results in murder doesn't usually happen in public, imo. And leaving the body in a public place doesn't seem likely if the perp was known to the victim.

To my eyes, everything about this seems like a random attack in a park. imo. Even someone whose boyfriend has a criminal history, even someone who has ex's, even someone on various dating sites can fall victim to crime committed by a stranger.

jmo
Just bouncing off your thoughts to suggest, it's possible it wasn't random at all.
Just thinking along the lines of the idea that she went there intentionally to meet with someone.
To discuss something, buy or sell something, or some other reason.
Things went south fast, possibly a verbal argument, then it got physical, and then it was over.

I'm just speculating but I suspect it's quite probable she knew her killer.

jmo

Not necessarily, although that's possible too. I just know that head wounds can bleed profusely and was wondering if anyone else thought the perp would have enough blood on him/her to create the trail. MOO
The descriptor "trail" could mean many things. Could be footprints or droplets? If footprints, then yes - droplets I would say no, unless the perp himself were injured and bleeding (which would be GREAT).

I watched a video of someone who walked the various trails in the park today. The amount of ways one can enter that park was surprising. Many trail offshoots too. Do we know that Rachel entered through the Williams Street side?

My 3 theories:

1. Random attack

2. Revenge attack by somebody she knew.
Staged as "random".
Far from home as not to be tied to it.

3. Still thinking of her "being distracted" the week before murder.
Meeting somebody there (far from home) to resolve some unpleasant matter.

JMO

Has anything been reported about her having her phone, watch or a fitbit? She's so into fitness I am sure if she were hiking she was monitoring her progress. Do we know what kind of car she drove, wondering about the gps

Not necessarily, although that's possible too. I just know that head wounds can bleed profusely and was wondering if anyone else thought the perp would have enough blood on him/her to create the trail. MOO
Agree. Not to mention spatter. Because if the rock (if true) was used during a struggle that leads me to believe her attacker was literally on top of her (holding onto her), as opposed to hitting her from a distance.

jmo

Out of interest; people have posted this very enlightening wikipedia page in this thread. List of people killed while running - Wikipedia
I went back and looked at all the cases in the past 10 years; of the 31 cases listed, 25 were perpetrated by a stranger, 5 were killed by a person known to them, and 6 cases are still unsolved.

Of the 5 killed by a known person (all women), 3 were killed by their husband (Constance McClain-Murray, Alexia Daval, Janell Mora), 1 was killed by a male neighbor (Laura Luelmo), and one was killed by a male where they were known to each other but police have not released how (Sydney Sutherland).

How did the perp get Rachel off the trail to the tunnel without her screaming or fighting? Would she have cooperated and remained silent? It's not just a couple yards to the drainage culverts.

Last edited:
How did he get Rachel off the trail to the tunnel without her screaming or fighting? Would she have cooperated and remained silent? It's not a matter of a couple yards to the drainage culverts.

Whatever happened did not happen in the wide open path imo. It happened where there was at least some cover. (And, upthread we talked about this a bit. Personally I think it makes sense that it was a grab and drag)

jmo

Last edited:
Agree. Not to mention spatter. Because if the rock (if true) was used during a struggle that leads me to believe her attacker was literally on top of her (holding onto her), as opposed to hitting her from a distance.

jmo
But think about how much blood that would have to be in order to create a trail. Most of the blood would be on the ground around her head, which the perp could have walked through. But getting a large volume of cast off blood- enough to shed droplets creating a trail, I'm not seeing that so much. Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.

But think about how much blood that would have to be in order to create a trail. Most of the blood would be on the ground around her head, which the perp could have walked through. But getting a large volume of cast off blood- enough to shed droplets creating a trail, I'm not seeing that so much. Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.
Remember though, this is only one person's unverified account of the scene. What may be a 15-20 ft trail to one person might be dispersed drops to another (maybe the blood was dropped by/off of the weapon if that weapon was carried to another spot) or it could be just as the responder speculated: she was attacked just outside the tunnel (this would still be off of the path) and then moved into the actual tunnel to conceal her. We just don't know.

jmo

Last edited:
Somebody must have known this place very well.
Tunnels were perfect to hide in or hide the body.

JMO
The MG (the one who was in the media giving interviews) guy knows those trails very well. Even he's been dismissed as just some attention-seeker, the guy said so much AND apparently knew where to find her, which in itself is too weird. I'm not dismissing that guy just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZogNCat