Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 has me wondering if he saw her at the gym. Maybe overheard her mention going to the trail? MOO

ETA: Sorry @otto, I just read your post with the same idea!
One look at the suspect, and it's a natural question. Broad daylight abduction suggests that he had the upper hand, he had a plan that happened fast when no one else on the trail was in sight. It might not have been his first attempt. If she had a routine of gym and run/walk, it seems less random.

Quite often, when a woman is abducted on a park path, we assume a random crime of opportunity. I'm wondering whether this was a situation where he knew who she was and her habits, but she did not know him. He looks fit. Did they first cross paths at a gym? She was on several dating sites. Did they connect there, but he used someone else's photo?

Like the Kohberger murders in Idaho, where he crossed paths with one of the victims and learned the house schedule, I think this suspect crossed paths with Rachel somewhere prior to the murder.

That gave him the advantage on the path. It seems unusual to grab a woman in broad daylight off a path right next to a drainage culvert, unless it's all pre-planned and he is expecting her.

Same with the cameras. He arrived at the house, but there's no footage of his face approaching the camera (that we know of). Chances are he knew that the young girl was home alone and perhaps he knew camera locations prior to the assault.

Excellent post. I agree. I think he knew what cameras were there, where they were, and how many there were. And, he wasn't the slightest bit concerned about it. He simply avoided showing his face.

If this was ever at a lull in LA, I think it just got new life. I expect LA is going to ramp this up again now with him wanted for homicide. The FBI is hopefully already involved bringing all of their resources to bear.

jmo

The law in Maryland is very strict about using it, but it would certainly seem that this case meets the threshold...https://innocenceproject.org/news/maryland-passes-forensic-genetic-genealogy-law-dna/
Thank you for the link! I think this could be an exception where requesting non-suspect permission to use DNA would pose a risk to the investigation. Does that mean that investigators could access DNA data banks to investigate DNA matches without notifying anyone?

"On Friday, Maryland enacted a law to regulate the use of forensic genetic genealogy — a technique used by law enforcement to identify suspects by analyzing their relatives’ DNA and constructing “family trees.” The law, sponsored by Senator Charles Sydnor III and Delegate Emily Shetty, creates judicial oversight over and laboratory licensing for the use of forensic genetic genealogy.

Maryland’s new legislation requires that this process only be used in investigations with the knowledge and oversight of a judge and establishes a panel of stakeholders to conduct an annual review of its use.

Fortunately, Maryland’s new legislation requires law enforcement to get informed consent from non-suspects if they want to use the DNA profiles they contributed to commercial databases. The only exception to this is in cases where law enforcement can demonstrate to a judge that asking the non-suspect may pose a substantial significant risk to the investigation"

If he was going to the gym, where Rachel went, employees and people there could recognize his features...his height, weight, his back, Latino. Hair likely different but still. Possibly.
You bring up a very good point. The suspect is a physically fit young man. He clearly works out at a gym.

Rachel had a 'black card' to Planet Fitness, meaning she could use any Planet Fitness Gym in the US. I wonder if he had the same?

JMO

One look at the suspect, and it's a natural question. Broad daylight abduction suggests that he had the upper hand, he had a plan that happened fast when no one else on the trail was in sight. It might not have been his first attempt. If she had a routine of gym and run/walk, it seems less random.
I saw PommyMommy's post b4 yours you both made this great connection that no matter how many times so many of us spoke about him being fit none of us made that "natural question"/obvious connection that Rachel was a gym person too - who actually went to the gym that very day didn't she??? So don't sell yourselves short. You both did better than the rest of us!

jmo

No I don't believe they gave any solid details like that. But still, the more I think about that 2-second video the more Qs pop into my head. I thought that video might be of little value but there is actually a lot of information that can be gleaned from it imo
Makes me wonder if there are other videos, but they aren't as clear and this one is very clear, just isn't showing his face. Someone that knows him would likely be able to pick him out with what we know.. March in CA and now August in Maryland and his body type with the hair and side of the face.. someone can put that together if they know him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chefk