Identified! MD - Woodlawn, WhtFem 279UFMD, 15-25, near cemetery, 'JP' Tattoo, Sep'76 - Margaret Fetterolf

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Carl - I think Sharon Pretorius is worth a shot, Especially because of the tattoo. If she was abducted and "kept" for awhile, maybe she tattooed herself with her "real" initials....

Has she been ruled out?

What about Sheryl Tillinghast?

She is a little shorter, but her age progressed photos

www.doe network.org/cases/1500dfny.HTML

She was not reported missing until 1998!

Carl - I think Sharon Pretorius is worth a shot, Especially because of the tattoo. If she was abducted and "kept" for awhile, maybe she tattooed herself with her "real" initials....

Has she been ruled out?

What about Sheryl Tillinghast?

She is a little shorter, but her age progressed photos

www.doe network.org/cases/1500dfny.HTML

She was not reported missing until 1998!

I had brought up Sharon Pretorius a couple of years ago, but after seeing the postmortem photo, she is pretty clearly not Sharon.

This Jane doe has a very unusual hairline - a widow's peak with very narrow arches on each side of the peak. The hairline at her temples extends further out onto the forehead than it does for most people.

I've gone through every available early-mid 1970's High School yearbook for high schools in Baltimore and Harford Counties (and a few in Massachusetts), and looked at literally thousands of high school photos, and haven't seen more than a handful of girls with hairlines similar to hers.

Neither Sharon Pretorius nor Sheryl Tillinghast have similar hairlines.

(In response to a question sent to me by private message from OC Lady), Valerie Cuccia does have a very slight widow's peak, and I see other similarities. But just based on an overall sense, she doesn't look like the same girl to me.

Has anyone considered Susan Rhonda Labbe? See here: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/labbe_susan.html

Rhondas hairline looks close! She's from Massachusetts. The file says her eyes are green, though the photos of her are hard to tell how green they actually were.

Not able to do a side by side just yet, when I return from the holiday and can get to my PC, I will...

Here is my reconstruction for this Jane Doe.

d73036d6-7dd6-40cf-a84b-cec08affe670.jpg

I decided to do a few superficial changes to my recon. Instead of having her bangs combed back, I let them down. I also made her hair narrower at the sides, and pulled it in a bit over her cheeks. I also lowered her upper eyelids a little more down over her irises, and brought her lower eyelids up a tad. No changes to the shape of her eyes - I just made them a little narrower :)

4a7ecfc1-76e6-44e6-af71-3c9ea4ad7e41.jpg

Why would I do such a thing???

Stay tuned :) :) :)

Sounds like you caught the scent of a trail...

She now looks like somebody whose picture I've seen before, but I can't quite place her.

Enough of the suspense. Here's what I have.

I'll refer to this woman by her initials DK. She attended Randallstown High School Class of 1973. I found her photo after browsing through 45 yearbooks from 31 different high schools in Baltimore City and Baltimore and Harford Counties. I am pretty confident that this is our Jane Doe.

DKWoodlawnPossibleRandallstownHSClassof73.jpg
4a7ecfc1-76e6-44e6-af71-3c9ea4ad7e41.jpg

Randallstown HS is only about seven miles from the Dogwood Road location where Woodlawn Jane Doe was found.

Here is a side-by-side comparison to the postmortem photo:

Warning - Postmortem photo at link
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums... Comparisons/DK-WoodlawnJaneDoeComparison.jpg

What makes me so confident is that if you look closely, both DK and Woodlawn Jane Doe have the same mole in precisely the same spot - just above the inside corner of their right eye.

They also both have a blemish or mole on the left side of the bridge of the nose adjacent to the left eye (which you can see in both her junior and senior photos) - again, in the exact same spot. This blemish appears darker in the postmortem photo, but the photos were taken three years apart - enough time for the mole to darken. (or perhaps she covered it with makeup for the photo).

DKWoodlawnMolesComparison.jpg

Her first name is a name normally given to males. I checked Ancestry, and couldn't find her. There are several males by that name, but no females. There is person with that name from Pennsylvania in the SocSec Death Index (gender not indicated) who was born in Oct 1955 and died in Sep 1975 at the age of 19. If this is the same DK, she would have graduated HS (presumably in June 1973) at the age of 17.

Looking in the Classmates alumni listing for Randallstown HS, there is a Debbie K and Alan K with the same surname from the classes of 1971 and 1972, respectively. DK's name is not listed. The surname is uncommon enough that I would guess that they are DK's sister and brother. I found an Alan K listed in Facebook, currently living in Las Vegas, and who lists his hometown as Baltimore. He looks like an older version of the same Alan K whose senior photo is in the 1972 RHS yearbook.

Carl, please keep us updated about this. She looks just like the reconstruction. I am very curious to know the outcome.

Wow, even in death she has the same sweet expression.

Carl - this is so amazing...you rock! Please keep us informed...

DK is still alive. Found her facebook under her married name.

Thanks fiberoptic:

fiberoptic sent me the link via PM, and I can see that she is very clearly the same DK.

fiberoptic found her married name by googling her name and "Randallstown", and found she was listed on an alumni site as a recent sign-up. Strange that I tried googling the exact same search terms over the weekend and didn't get that in my results.

This isn't the first time I've thought I had a certain match that turned out not to be. But with the similar blemishes in two locations, I thought this had to be a sure-thing.

Back to the drawing board.

Thank you fiberoptic and CarlK'. I really thought you had a match here, Carl. No stone left unturned. I'm glad it was researched until the rule out was certain. Back to the drawing board....

They look so similar...I wonder if it could be a relative? A cousin or even more distantly related.

Aw. That looked so promising.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Another trick that I just learned might help in future searches in Facebook for women who are known only by their maiden names, and whose high school (or hometown or current city of residence) is known.

I entered her first name only in the search, and then under "Search Filters", clicked "People". I then clicked the drop-down menu and select "education", and (optionally) the grad year (or you can select "Location"). All persons with that first name and that grad year (or hometown or current city of residence) show up in the search screen.

I've tried that with first and last names before, but it never occurred to me to try it with a first name only. Of course, that only works for persons who list their high school and grad year (and/or hometowns). Not everyone does, but it's one more option when you are having trouble finding a woman whom you know only by maiden name. Also, if you are going the hometown option, a common name such as Cathy, Debbie, Linda, etc. would probably still yield too many names.

I tried that with DK, and her page was the only one that showed up. It would have saved me a lot of time and effort, as I spent the past two days thinking for sure I was onto something, and finding nothing on her online.

Dang it Carl.. I thought you had a match!! This is the first time I have been on here today and I thought maybe you commented on here saying you contacted LE about the UID being matched.... Nice try... I think since this wasn't her, we should look more in the direction from the UID being from MA, since some of the items left at the crime scene were made in MA.... (just a thought)

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1167dftx.html

What do you think of this girl? I know the height is off and the picture is not great, but she looks very similar to me.

I'm not seeing it. Too old, too short, too heavy. She could have lost weight, but too many discrepancies to explain away.

Dang it Carl.. I thought you had a match!! This is the first time I have been on here today and I thought maybe you commented on here saying you contacted LE about the UID being matched.... Nice try... I think since this wasn't her, we should look more in the direction from the UID being from MA, since some of the items left at the crime scene were made in MA.... (just a thought)

I did check the yearbooks from the area around Fitchburg, and Weymouth. There are three other cities from where the lawn seed bag could have originated, and at some point, I will check those.

Incidentally, given the following info provided at the AMW site:

(1) The single shoe found at the scene (probably hers) was laced with the same type of binding twine that was used to bind her wrists.

(2) The twine shoelace was somewhat frayed, indicating that she probably had tied and untied it several times.

(3) The probable perp was driving a utility van.

(4) Evidence suggested that she was assaulted while being suspended in an upright position.

(5) She was killed while naked and dressed back in her clothing after her death.

(6) Her feet were dirty, despite that socks were placed over them.

(7) The lawn seed bag had been purchased at least a few years earlier. The seed company didn't use that style of bag anymore.

A few things came to mind:

The binding twine probably belonged to the killer, not the victim. And since the twine/shoelace appears to have been tied and untied numerous times, and then similar twine was later used to bind her, It seems that she probably spent some time with him prior to her death.

It looks like maybe they were traveling together. Since she was upright when attacked, and her killer drove a utility van which did not contain enough vertical space inside to suspend a 5'8" woman upright, she must have been attacked at some location other than his vehicle. Her dirty feet suggest to me that the location in which she was killed was outside, probably in a remote location as opposed to inside a building.

I doubt that either the killer or the victim lived nearby. They were probably traveling together for some time.

There are conflicting reports of how long she had been dead before she was found. One account indicates less than 1 day. Another indicates possibly two days.

If the two-day postmortem interval is correct, and he wasn't near his own home, he was probably transporting her dead body a long distance before dumping her. Why would he dress her back up, cover her face, and transport her around for so long and far before dumping her body next to a cemetary? The manner of disposal seems to be, in his own perverse sort of way, a show of respect for her dignity. Would he go through the trouble for someone whom he picked up hitchhiking? I am guessing probably not. It seems more likely that he knew her.

The killer had been in Massachusetts a few years prior, but we can't assume that the two of them came there directly from Massachusetts. The keys were manufactured in Fitchburg Massachusetts, which was also happens to be one of the five locations where the lawn seed was sold. But the keys were only manufactured in Fitchburg. They weren't necessarily sold in Fitchburg. They could have been sold anywhere. It may be just a coincidence, and we can't presume that she was ever in Massachusetts, or that they came directly to Baltimore from Massachusetts.

He could have gone anywhere during the few years between the time that the lawn seed was purchased and the time she was killed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayc
Back