Identified! MD - Woodlawn, WhtFem 279UFMD, 15-25, near cemetery, 'JP' Tattoo, Sep'76 - Margaret Fetterolf

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good points Carl!!! She could have been from anywhere! I just can't believe she has gone unidentified for 36 years... someone has to be missing her....

Another theory that was milling through my mind after typing up that last message last night:

The missing persons lists have been exhaustively searched by hundreds of people, and she is not among them. I am pretty certain that if she was listed in Charley, DoeNet, NamUs, or NAMPN, someone would have spotted her already.

She probably wasn't ever reported missing. Why?

Perhaps her parents passed away, and she was "cared for" by a crazy uncle. And maybe the reason why this crazy uncle dressed her back up and left her next to a cemetary was because that is where her parents were buried.

I'm not seeing it. Too old, too short, too heavy. She could have lost weight, but too many discrepancies to explain away.

I did check the yearbooks from the area around Fitchburg, and Weymouth. There are three other cities from where the lawn seed bag could have originated, and at some point, I will check those.

Incidentally, given the following info provided at the AMW site:

(1) The single shoe found at the scene (probably hers) was laced with the same type of binding twine that was used to bind her wrists.

(2) The twine shoelace was somewhat frayed, indicating that she probably had tied and untied it several times.

(3) The probable perp was driving a utility van.

(4) Evidence suggested that she was assaulted while being suspended in an upright position.

(5) She was killed while naked and dressed back in her clothing after her death.

(6) Her feet were dirty, despite that socks were placed over them.

(7) The lawn seed bag had been purchased at least a few years earlier. The seed company didn't use that style of bag anymore.

A few things came to mind:

The binding twine probably belonged to the killer, not the victim. And since the twine/shoelace appears to have been tied and untied numerous times, and then similar twine was later used to bind her, It seems that she probably spent some time with him prior to her death.

It looks like maybe they were traveling together. Since she was upright when attacked, and her killer drove a utility van which did not contain enough vertical space inside to suspend a 5'8" woman upright, she must have been attacked at some location other than his vehicle. Her dirty feet suggest to me that the location in which she was killed was outside, probably in a remote location as opposed to inside a building.

I doubt that either the killer or the victim lived nearby. They were probably traveling together for some time.

There are conflicting reports of how long she had been dead before she was found. One account indicates less than 1 day. Another indicates possibly two days.

If the two-day postmortem interval is correct, and he wasn't near his own home, he was probably transporting her dead body a long distance before dumping her. Why would he dress her back up, cover her face, and transport her around for so long and far before dumping her body next to a cemetary? The manner of disposal seems to be, in his own perverse sort of way, a show of respect for her dignity. Would he go through the trouble for someone whom he picked up hitchhiking? I am guessing probably not. It seems more likely that he knew her.

The killer had been in Massachusetts a few years prior, but we can't assume that the two of them came there directly from Massachusetts. The keys were manufactured in Fitchburg Massachusetts, which was also happens to be one of the five locations where the lawn seed was sold. But the keys were only manufactured in Fitchburg. They weren't necessarily sold in Fitchburg. They could have been sold anywhere. It may be just a coincidence, and we can't presume that she was ever in Massachusetts, or that they came directly to Baltimore from Massachusetts.

He could have gone anywhere during the few years between the time that the lawn seed was purchased and the time she was killed.

I agree we can't assume he came directly from Fitchburg, MA, but on the other hand, many things about that assumption fit well.

Dirty feet plus suspended upright plus a seed bag on her head makes it sound to me like she was attacked and killed in a barn or outbuilding. The twine shoelace makes me think she might have been kept there for some time. Plus that would mean a place where he could get her dressed again at his leisure.

Fitchburg is off the beaten track as far as major highways etc. but it's also the commercial center for all of northwestern MA and southwestern NH. It's right on Route 2, the Mohawk Trail, which is a very busy tourist route in the summer especially. It's the home of Fitchburg State University, a popular regional college that used to be a teacher's college. The area has lots of agriculture and light industry (furniture-making in Gardner, for instance) where there would be barns or outbuildings. There are also old mills in just about every town.

From Fitchburg, it's only about 20 minutes to interstate highways southbound. From there, it's an 8-10 hour drive to Maryland. In 1976 it would have been a bit longer because not all the roads had been completed, but definitely doable well within 24 hours.

262wd1s.jpg

Is it possible Sallie Margaret Reed (gone missing 2/76 from Louisiana) could have gained 50 lbs in 7 months?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2704dfla.html

I suppose she could have been married/involved with the murderer and he never reported her missing.
One of those scenarios where the neighbors say: "Oh, I wonder what happened to that couple renting that house down the road? They just picked up and left one day, musta gotten a job somewhere else."

Her family might not have been in touch with her anyways, or if they were, believed the husband when he told them that she left him. ?

Even though i highly doubt at this point that otheres havent looked at these girls on doenetwork, here are a few possibles, thinking slightly outside the box on some:

Dorothy Wood Madden
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1974dfoh.html

has MA ties, looks similar, close in height/weight. has a scar on her leg

Annie Yassie:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2406dfmb.html

I think she looks similar, but she is smallish compared to Jane. She could have grown in 2 years though... would have had to be held captive/kept alive that long.

Amy Billig:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/18dffl.html
LKA March 5, 1974... was known to hitchhike, could have been kept alive for a couple years. Negatives: a few inches too short, and i dont think girls grow much at age 17, and most captives dont gain 50 pounds

Nancy O'Sullivan:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/52dfil.html
LKA March 7, 1974, allegedly hitchhiking, potentially ran away. would have had to be kept alive 2+ years if abducted. negatives: a bit small, but could have grown in 2 years

Annastaes Banitskas
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/31dfvic.html

looks very similar but is from australia so how'd she get her? and does jane have a mole?

Even though i highly doubt at this point that otheres havent looked at these girls on doenetwork, here are a few possibles, thinking slightly outside the box on some:

Dorothy Wood Madden
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1974dfoh.html

has MA ties, looks similar, close in height/weight. has a scar on her leg

Annie Yassie:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2406dfmb.html

I think she looks similar, but she is smallish compared to Jane. She could have grown in 2 years though... would have had to be held captive/kept alive that long.

Amy Billig:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/18dffl.html
LKA March 5, 1974... was known to hitchhike, could have been kept alive for a couple years. Negatives: a few inches too short, and i dont think girls grow much at age 17, and most captives dont gain 50 pounds

Nancy O'Sullivan:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/52dfil.html
LKA March 7, 1974, allegedly hitchhiking, potentially ran away. would have had to be kept alive 2+ years if abducted. negatives: a bit small, but could have grown in 2 years

Annastaes Banitskas
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/31dfvic.html

looks very similar but is from australia so how'd she get her? and does jane have a mole?

Dorothy Wood Madden:
The scar on Jane Doe's leg was mentioned, so they probably would have mentioned the appendectomy scar if there was one.

Annie Yassie:
Not a bad facial resemblance. Her nose doesn't look quite as tall. Because of the bangs, we can't see her hairline, but her hair looks too straight. Add in your observation that she is probably too short and not heavy enough. In totality, I'd say probably not.

Amy Billig:
Decent resemblance, and tall nose like the Jane Doe. But you can see her hairline, and it is broader than Jane Doe's with no widow's peak. And she also has very straight fine-textured hair. Also, the circumstances of her disappearance make her unlikely in this case. A deathbed confession of one of the persons involved in her disappearance stated that she was drugged and gang-raped, and after she died of the drug overdose, her body was dumped in the Everglades.

Nancy O'Sullivan
Blue Eyes. Jane Doe's are brown.

Annastaes Banitskas
Facial shape is much different IMO. Broader jawline, and the bridge of the nose is very distinctly different.

The Doe Network:
Case File 2688DFOK

davis_linda.jpg

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2688dfok.html

Linda Sue Davis
Missing since January 7, 1976 from Claremore, Oklahoma
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: October 17, 1946
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 29 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6-5'7"; 150-175 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown, wavy hair; green eyes. Previous childbirths.
•Marks, Scars: Hysterectomy scar.
•Clothing: Black or dark gray dress pants, blouse believed to be pink. Brown shoes.
•Dentals: Available.
•DNA: Available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Linda Davis, married and the mother of three, went to work in Claremore on January 7th, 1976, and never made it home again. She was last seen in the company of an unknown white male in Don’s Club, Claremore, OK, at approximately 01:30.

Her car was later found in Oklahoma City, her purse and coat in the trunk. The coat had blood stains on it and had some 20 stab marks in it. One of her shoes was found a few days later in a bush. Linda's body was never found.

I new to this site...

Patricia Lee Otto
Missing since September 2, 1976 from Lewiston, Nez Perce County, Idaho.
Classification: Involuntary

otto_patricia.jpg

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/394dfid.html

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: August 4, 1952
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 24 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3; 140 pounds
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Hazel eyes; blonde hair.
•Marks, Scars: Scar on back.
•Dentals: Available
•DNA: Available
•AKA: Patty

Circumstances of Disappearance
Otto was last seen in Idaho on September 2, 1976. She was reported missing on October 08, 1976.
She disappeared after having a fight with her husband who was long suspected of having a hand in her death. He died several years later without being cleared of suspicion or charged with her death.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this person, please contact:
Lewiston Police Department
208-746-0171
OR
Idaho Missing Persons Clearinghouse
208-884-7137

Case Number: C91654/NamUs MP#2064

NCIC Number: M007993243
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information: Idaho Missing Persons Clearinghouse
NamUs
Lewiston Morning Tribune
394dfid.html

Welcome to WS, angelface.

:welcome:

Linda Sue Davis does look pretty close. And she does have similar textured hair and might have a widow's peak (although that might just be her hair overhanging her hairline). But she has green eyes (compared to Jane Doe's Brown eyes), a historectomy scar, and she doesn't have that narrow "M" shaped hairline that Jane Doe does. Jane Doe's hairline is almost like the McDonald's golden arches. Linda Sue's hairline is much more broad.

And Linda Sue would have been almost 30 years old at the time of Jane Doe's death. Jane Doe was in her teens or early 20's.

Patricia Otto has blonde hair (compared to Jane Doe's dark brown), green eyes (compared to Jane Doe's brown), is much shorter (5'3") than Jane Doe (5'8"), and has a scar on her back which isn't noted for the Jane Doe (although they did mention the scar on her thigh, so I presume that other scars would have been mentioned as well).

This case is so sad to me. She looked so young and innocent. Maybe contacting the local media stations in Baltimore and having them show her reconstruction might refresh some memories? Somebody knows who she is....

Do you Valarie Cuccia is worth another look?

The time line fits, MA connection fits, and although it's hard to tell from the photos, her hairline looks like it might be similar...She has a scar, although hers is reported to be on her calf.

The main negative to me is that her brother is/was a police officer, so surely he must scrutinize all MP/UID reports.

Do you Valarie Cuccia is worth another look?

The time line fits, MA connection fits, and although it's hard to tell from the photos, her hairline looks like it might be similar...She has a scar, although hers is reported to be on her calf.

The main negative to me is that her brother is/was a police officer, so surely he must scrutinize all MP/UID reports.

Here's the comparison of hairlines - Valarie Cuccia to WJD. I drew red dotted lines to trace WJD's hairline onto Valarie 's forehead.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/138dfny.html

ValerieCuccia.jpg
CucciaWoodlawnHairlineComparison-1.jpg

With VC -- too bad the hairline is so off because those eyebrows are spot on.

I apologize if this was already mentioned before. An orange bandana was placed over her head and I searched to see if there was any meaning to the orange bandana and this is what I found:

The typos are from the link and I copied and pasted as is.

What does an orange bandana mean?

The orange bandana symbolize's a small gang called H3AT on the East Coast of New Jersey. Its name was made up thimking of the police; also known as the "heat". Two of the generals liked the name and replaced the letter "e" with a three(3) to represent the three(3) generals running the gang.

The color orange became H3AT's color representing the color of firee or flame; or another color of Heats could be white. The H3AT has no set rivals; the gang just runs there own territory and takes care of any unwanted company.

Members of H3AT will normally be representing there "crew" by wearing the colors orange or white on there clothing, also orange or white bandanas. The H3AT is a very strong gang and is better not to be messed with; but are very nice if you are not a threat to them.Also some gang members in the WestCoast in Orange County wear the color orange because they are surenos from that area.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_an_orange_bandana_mean

A clue perhaps?

I think Cuccia is a good possibility. when I saw the sketch, I immediately thought European descent. Cuccia is an Italian surname.

Dorothy Wood Madden:
The scar on Jane Doe's leg was mentioned, so they probably would have mentioned the appendectomy scar if there was one.

Annie Yassie:
Not a bad facial resemblance. Her nose doesn't look quite as tall. Because of the bangs, we can't see her hairline, but her hair looks too straight. Add in your observation that she is probably too short and not heavy enough. In totality, I'd say probably not.

Amy Billig:
Decent resemblance, and tall nose like the Jane Doe. But you can see her hairline, and it is broader than Jane Doe's with no widow's peak. And she also has very straight fine-textured hair. Also, the circumstances of her disappearance make her unlikely in this case. A deathbed confession of one of the persons involved in her disappearance stated that she was drugged and gang-raped, and after she died of the drug overdose, her body was dumped in the Everglades.

Nancy O'Sullivan
Blue Eyes. Jane Doe's are brown.

Annastaes Banitskas
Facial shape is much different IMO. Broader jawline, and the bridge of the nose is very distinctly different.

Thanks for your feedback carl. i am fairly new here. just out of curiosity, do you think there might be any distinguishing features -signs of previous childbirth, other scars etc - LE might still be withholding? i want to know how much i should be narrowing the search!

I apologize if this was already mentioned before. An orange bandana was placed over her head and I searched to see if there was any meaning to the orange bandana and this is what I found:

The typos are from the link and I copied and pasted as is.

What does an orange bandana mean?

The orange bandana symbolize's a small gang called H3AT on the East Coast of New Jersey. Its name was made up thimking of the police; also known as the "heat". Two of the generals liked the name and replaced the letter "e" with a three(3) to represent the three(3) generals running the gang.

The color orange became H3AT's color representing the color of firee or flame; or another color of Heats could be white. The H3AT has no set rivals; the gang just runs there own territory and takes care of any unwanted company.

Members of H3AT will normally be representing there "crew" by wearing the colors orange or white on there clothing, also orange or white bandanas. The H3AT is a very strong gang and is better not to be messed with; but are very nice if you are not a threat to them.Also some gang members in the WestCoast in Orange County wear the color orange because they are surenos from that area.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_an_orange_bandana_mean

A clue perhaps?

Cool theory BUT were they around in the 70s?

Thanks for your feedback carl. i am fairly new here. just out of curiosity, do you think there might be any distinguishing features -signs of previous childbirth, other scars etc - LE might still be withholding? i want to know how much i should be narrowing the search!

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that there were other minor scars that aren't publicly mentioned. But they did mention a 1 1/2 inch scar on her left thigh, so I would expect they would have been mentioned any other scars of close to that size or larger. I would presume that she has no cesarean, appendectomy, or hysterectomy scars since none were mentioned.

Prior history of childbirth is sometimes mentioned but frequently is not. On that, I would not presume that she didn't have children just because it wasn't mentioned. I would probably guess that she hasn't. But if you come up with a good possible who is strong in other respects, I wouldn't rule her out on the basis of a history of childbirth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasApril87
Back