Found Deceased ME - Kristin Westra, 47, North Yarmouth, 30 Sept 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if the family turned the vigil into a memorial service, than that is good enough to me that they found Kristin. No way that a minister and friends of the family would do such a thing without knowing for sure she is gone, know what I mean?

I am so sorry for Kristin, and if she did indeed commit suicide, may her family find strength and peace. Suicide leaves a long trail of victims- and for the rest of their lives, they will always wonder a thousand "if only" moments- such as the husband might think "if only I got up when she did", or her friend might think "if only I dropped by her house when she didn't answer all my texts" etc etc. I know all too well how those "if onlies" can make a person suffer for years to come, a lifetime of pain and regrets. My heart aches for them all, and the fact that LE gave up the search for her is also an indicator that she is gone, in my opinion.

My thoughts are also with the children that found her- how awful and frightening, poor kids. I am sure they will receive therapy to help them through this- a necessity to help them cope with such a traumatic image.

I do think if anything was suspicious about her death, that the neighbor's house would still be cordoned off along with the woods, searching for more things. I haven't read anywhere that LE was searching the Westra home for anything, either.

• Hi everyone, here’s the part of the husband’s story that seems odd—having had to take his wife on Sunday to a health practitioner " for a safety assessment" to make sure she would not harm herself or others--later that evening they go to bed at 8pm--he says, he wakes up at 3:30 am and finds his wife gone from their bedroom, but states he assumes she went into another bedroom to sleep--he doesn't get up to check on her welfare despite the fact that less than 24 hours earlier she apparently was exhibiting potentially dangerous behavior. At 6:am, he wakes up and discovers that she has left the house without her cell phone and house keys, and without her shoes on. He still doesn't think to immediately look for her and call for help. At 9:00am, after driving around for awhile, he finally goes to get help from law enforcement. I think his big mistep was not seeing where she was at 3:30am. Why he didn't he verify at 3:30am that she was still safe in their house? His inaction seems strange to me given all the severe problems his wife was dealing with.

Thank you all for this forum during this very difficult time - your discussion about mental health and your not jumping to conclusions about the husband has been so helpful to me during the period she was missing and then found. Your compassion for the family and friends has been overwhelming.

The body found in North Yarmouth was confirmed to be Kristin Westra, the teacher who went missing last Sunday, according to news release from the Cumberland Count Sheriff’s office.

An autopsy also confirmed the manner of death as suicide, the police said.

Body found in North Yarmouth confirmed to be Kristin Westra

Rest in peace, Kristin. I wish you could have seen how many people loved you so much at your memorial service. And how many people from across the world were pulling for you on here.

• Hi everyone, here’s the part of the husband’s story that seems odd—having had to take his wife on Sunday to a health practitioner " for a safety assessment" to make sure she would not harm herself or others--later that evening they go to bed at 8pm--he says, he wakes up at 3:30 am and finds his wife gone from their bedroom, but states he assumes she went into another bedroom to sleep--he doesn't get up to check on her welfare despite the fact that less than 24 hours earlier she apparently was exhibiting potentially dangerous behavior. At 6:am, he wakes up and discovers that she has left the house without her cell phone and house keys, and without her shoes on. He still doesn't think to immediately look for her and call for help. At 9:00am, after driving around for awhile, he finally goes to get help from law enforcement. I think his big mistep was not seeing where she was at 3:30am. Why he didn't he verify at 3:30am that she was still safe in their house? His inaction seems strange to me given all the severe problems his wife was dealing with.
Not that it matters much at this point, but her husband didn't take her for a "safety assessment", he took her because she was feeling stressed and anxious. The safety assessment is a routine part of an exam in a patient with stress and anxiety. They literally give you a sheet of paper and ask you to score on a scale from 1-5 how often you have trouble sleeping, eating, want to hurt yourself, etc. From my understanding, her assessment showed that she wasn't a danger to herself. I'm sure her husband took comfort in that, and in the fact that a "plan" had been developed to help her feel better. Most people experience stress and anxiety from time to time...most don't commit suicide. I doubt the thought ever crossed his mind prior to him finally realizing she was missing.

I'm sure a lot of people are curious, even those that say they aren't.

Sure, curiosity is human nature. But there are certain situations that come across as gossiping in the wake of tragedy. This would be one of them IMO. the family has barely had a second to mourn... I am sure more details will be released eventually. But for now maybe it’s best to just respect their privacy.

Sure, curiosity is human nature. But there are certain situations that come across as gossiping in the wake of tragedy. This would be one of them IMO. the family has barely had a second to mourn... I am sure more details will be released eventually. But for now maybe it’s best to just respect their privacy.

Relaying information is different from gossip IMO.

I am respecting their privacy. I'm certainly not reaching out to family members or friends for information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CameraSnap