ME - Lewiston, Mass Shooting, Multiple Scenes, 18 killed *shooter found dead* Oct 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BREAKING: Maine Gov. Janet Mills says the suspect wanted for killing 18 people at a bowling alley and a bar has been found dead in Lisbon Falls, Maine. Robert Card’s body was found at a recycling facility where he recently worked, an official told @AP.

Wasn’t there reports on Wednesday evening / Thursday morning of people hearing gun shots near the recycling plant? I think these ended up being unconfirmed in the end.

I’m guessing the people who heard them probably heard him taking his own life imo.

Law enforcement sources say he was found inside a dumpster at a recycling center where he worked previously at 7:45 in Lisbon Falls.

Family members of the people Robert Card fatally shot, as well as Card’s family were informed that his body had been found before Friday night’s public announcement, Maine’s public safety commissioner said.

“We wanted talk to the victims’ families. We wanted to say, ‘this is coming,’” Commissioner Mike Sauschuck said. “It’s important that they heard that information as close to first as anybody else.”

They also called Card’s family, he said.

“They lost a loved one in this scenario. And there were many of that family that was very cooperative with us throughout,” Sauschuck said. “So, they deserved that phone call.”

1698486847841.jpeg
  • Ronald G. Morin, 55
  • Peyton Brewer-Ross, 40
  • Joshua A. Seal, 36
  • Bryan M. MacFarlane, 41
  • Joseph Lawrence Walker, 57
  • Arthur Fred Strout, 42
  • Maxx A. Hathaway, 35
  • Stephen M. Vozzella, 45
  • Thomas Ryan Conrad, 34
  • Michael R. Deslauriers II, 51
  • Jason Adam Walker, 51
  • Tricia C. Asselin, 53
  • William A. Young, 44
  • Aaron Young, 14
  • Robert E. Violette, 76
  • Lucille M. Violette, 73
  • William Frank Brackett, 48
  • Keith D. Macneir, 64

We have to figure out what the connection is from suicidal guys ( mostly) going out and shooting up a bunch of innocent people before they off themselves. What is it that makes them commit such violent acts instead of just going out and blowing their brains out? I have no idea why but I think if we can somehow figure this out, we may be able to prevent this from happening again and again and again.

Such a colossal waste of life.
*I found this article (BBC: All Things Considered) talking about another mass shooter that explains her motive is really to just die no matter what it takes. Suicidal ideation is an indescribably painful way of life. They just want it over with…

Well, I think this is the dilemma. Parents and community members are crying out for solutions, and in the absence of legislation, we are trying to fortify our public buildings and, particularly, our schools. I think it's important to go back to something we talked about earlier: Mass shootings are a form of suicide, and many people are intending for it to be their final act.

In 1979, there was a shooting at Grover Cleveland Elementary School in San Diego, California, and the shooter was a 16-year-old female, who at the time was asked why she committed the crime. And she famously said because she hated Mondays.

Later at her parole hearing, after spending most of her life in prison, she was asked that same question and she said, “I wanted to die. I was trying to commit suicide.” She followed up by saying that “every time I tried suicide in the previous year, I screwed it up.” She targeted the school specifically because she felt that police would shoot and kill her.

I think if you reframe mass shootings around suicide prevention, the logic of having armed guards in school and fortifying our public spaces starts to look faulty, because if people intend to die in the act, these individuals are not going to serve as a deterrent, they may even serve as an incentive and part of the plan for the shooting.

Last edited:
*I found this article (BBC: All Things Considered) talking about another mass shooter that explains her motive is really to just die no matter what it takes. Suicidal ideation is an indescribably painful way of life. They just want it over with…

Well, I think this is the dilemma. Parents and community members are crying out for solutions, and in the absence of legislation, we are trying to fortify our public buildings and, particularly, our schools. I think it's important to go back to something we talked about earlier: Mass shootings are a form of suicide, and many people are intending for it to be their final act.

In 1979, there was a shooting at Grover Cleveland Elementary School in San Diego, California, and the shooter was a 16-year-old female, who at the time was asked why she committed the crime. And she famously said because she hated Mondays.

Later at her parole hearing, after spending most of her life in prison, she was asked that same question and she said, “I wanted to die. I was trying to commit suicide.” She followed up by saying that “every time I tried suicide in the previous year, I screwed it up.” She targeted the school specifically because she felt that police would shoot and kill her.

I think if you reframe mass shootings around suicide prevention, the logic of having armed guards in school and fortifying our public spaces starts to look faulty, because if people intend to die in the act, these individuals are not going to serve as a deterrent, they may even serve as an incentive and part of the plan for the shooting.

The female who was the 16 year old school shooter in 1979 remains in prison. She has been denied parole several times.

Taking the lives of other innocent people because one wants to commit suicide is an incredibly selfish and cruel act. I don’t see how any killer rationalizes that jus based on suicide alone. They’re also people who have a profound dislike and lack of respect for others. It’s their own selfishness and narcissism that prevents them commithing suicide, but they dont hesitate to take the lives of others.

Giving them therapy to prevent suicide probably won’t make them better people. JMO they would still be a threat to others.

The article also points out the copycat phenomenon involved in many of these shootings. It suggests a motive greater than suicide, but also a desire to actually kill other people and become famous for it. JMO once a person has crossed that line of desiring and accepting their own need to kill innocent people, it’s a problem.

"Robert Card is FOUND DEAD in the woods with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.​

Robert Card has been found dead in the woods with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head - ending a 48-hour manhunt involving over 300 members of law enforcement.

Androscoggin sheriff's office wrote on Facebook: 'The suspect in Wednesday nights shootings has been located and is deceased'.

Card, 40, was found at 7:45pm near Lisbon Falls, where his car was abandoned shortly after Wednesday's massacre. His body was reportedly located near a recycling plant from where he was recently fired.

It was unclear how long he had been dead, and Mike Sauschuck, the commander of Maine's department of public safety, would not say whether he had died as police closed in or been dead for days.

'There continues to be a lot of work that needs to be done here at the scene, and a lot to follow up on,' said Sauschuck.

Sauschuck confirmed that he is believed to have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound."

Last edited:
Posted on X last night, 10 hrs ago for those who may have missed this info:

NOW: Press conference scheduled to begin in any minute. @NewsNation will air it live. I'll live tweet below.

Governor speaks first: Located body in Lisbon. POTUS been informed. So have Senators and reps. Thanks LE for their efforts. Tireless work. Expresses gratitude for bravery and determination.

Robert Card is no longer a threat to anyone. Recognizes death may not being solace to all, but now is the time to heal. LE will continue to investigate all the facts. Ask everyone in Maine to keep victims in thoughts and prayers.

Lewiston PD Chief now speaking:Thanks community and says they can finally breathe a sigh of relief. Elated about the call he received tonight that Card was dead. Says he won't forget the families who are grieving.

Officers are being notified now about the news as we speak.
Recognizes that everyone is cheerful about the "best news we've received in some time.”

More information on how everything went down tomorrow at 10am.
Says families of victims and suspects were called first to get the news that Card was dead.

7:45pm body was found near the Androscoggin River in Lisbon Falls. Won't say specific address.

Press conference has ended.

The lives senselessly lost (listed below) will be remembered forever by their loved ones and their hearts will never truly heal. RC will not be remembered. moo

Rest in Peace

◦Ronald G Morin 55
◦Peyton Brewer-Ross 40
◦Joshua A Seal 36
◦Bryan M McFarlane41
◦Joseph Lawrence Walker 57
◦Arthur Fred Strout 42
◦Max A Hathaway 35
◦Stephen M Vozzella 45
◦Thomas Ryan Conrad 34
◦Michael R Deslauriers II 51
◦Jason Adam Walker 51
◦Tricia C Asselin 53
◦William A Young 44
◦Aaron Young (son) 14
◦Robert E Violette 76
◦Lucille M Violette 73
◦William Frank Brackett 48
◦Keith D Macneir 64

Here's how I look at the spate of mass shootings in our country: you can try to analyze why the shooter did what he/she did---- you cannot ascribe the same motive to all mass shooters. Some may be suicidal- but obviously they are also homicidal!!! so while we are analyzing and trying to figure these people out, in this country, these people have access to assault weapons which really is a weapon meant for war. Until we deal with that issue, and ban these assault weapons, mass shootings will continue. All countries have their mentally ill and suicidal and homicidal people, but only America has a mass shooting pandemic. Common sense should tell you why.

Their deaths have shaken a tightknit deaf community, sending ripples of grief across the country, but have been particularly hard-hitting in Maine, where many deaf people went to school together. “In Maine, the deaf community is particularly intimate because of how sparsely populated the state is,” said Amy Richardson, who was friends with two of the victims.

“We are grieving,” she signed, using two hands moving in opposite directions on her chest, as if she was twisting her heart in half. “We are at a loss for words.”

“In deaf culture, it’s really important to meet in person and to give each other hugs,” she said.

“This tragedy has really pulled us together,” she added, noting friends are cooking and fundraising for the families of those killed. Some are flying in from out of state to offer support.

“When a deaf person in the community is hurting, everyone feels the pain. When one person is affected, it ripples through all of us,” said Megan Erasmus, chief executive of National Deaf Therapy.

Some deaf advocates have complained that it has been difficult to keep track of the news of the shooting. There was already a shortage of interpreters in Maine, especially those comfortable working in the fast, high-pressured environment of a live TV broadcast, said Stacey Bsullak, 51, a local interpreter.

“The deaf community has been impacted and they are still cutting off the interpreter,” Bsullak said. “The nation is watching and it’s not accessible.”

At a news conference Friday, Maine public safety commissioner Mike Sauschuck acknowledged the need for better communication: “For the consideration of the four deaf victims and their families, we are requesting that the ASL interpreter is in all frames for language access here in Maine and the U.S.”

Last edited:
If I have a family member showing signs of mental instability, I'll alert LE to seize his guns so he can't hurt himself or anyone else. It's the entire point of red flag laws.

JMO

Maine doesn’t have red flag laws. And that’s not how red flag laws work. LE doesn’t just go and seize property - that’s unconstitutional. Red flag law - Wikipedia

View attachment 456480
  • Ronald G. Morin, 55
  • Peyton Brewer-Ross, 40
  • Joshua A. Seal, 36
  • Bryan M. MacFarlane, 41
  • Joseph Lawrence Walker, 57
  • Arthur Fred Strout, 42
  • Maxx A. Hathaway, 35
  • Stephen M. Vozzella, 45
  • Thomas Ryan Conrad, 34
  • Michael R. Deslauriers II, 51
  • Jason Adam Walker, 51
  • Tricia C. Asselin, 53
  • William A. Young, 44
  • Aaron Young, 14
  • Robert E. Violette, 76
  • Lucille M. Violette, 73
  • William Frank Brackett, 48
  • Keith D. Macneir, 64
My heart is with Lewiston, Maine, sadly it will never be the same.

Here's how I look at the spate of mass shootings in our country: you can try to analyze why the shooter did what he/she did---- you cannot ascribe the same motive to all mass shooters. Some may be suicidal- but obviously they are also homicidal!!! so while we are analyzing and trying to figure these people out, in this country, these people have access to assault weapons which really is a weapon meant for war. Until we deal with that issue, and ban these assault weapons, mass shootings will continue. All countries have their mentally ill and suicidal and homicidal people, but only America has a mass shooting pandemic. Common sense should tell you why.
Not trying to debate you but did want to clarify that the weapon he used was not an assault weapon meant for war, it was a Ruger SFAR - SFAR means Small Framed Automatic Rifle - AR stands for Automatic Rifle, not Assault Rifle. Regardless of what weapon he used, he was on a mission to kill. I don't know how someone with that mindset can be stopped. All JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal
Back