Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this been posted yet?

"Three boats approached them, waving guns talking in Spanish," he [the Good Samaritan] said. "They got scared, spooked then they heard the gunshots going on. She could see they were hitting the water and the water was coming up at them. All of a sudden she sees her husband flying off."

Tiffany told him she turned around to go take care of her husband, but two pirates went after her jetski. One pirate held a gun to her head. Once he left she tried to pull her husband body onto her jetski but she didn't have the strength.

http://www.krgv.com/news/local/stor...er-on-Falcon-Lake/uswGSvm9Hku0eC9foze9Yw.cspx

I haven't read/heard this account before - of one of the *pirates* holding a gun to Tiffany Hartley's head.

Anyone else?

This morning she said she was a mere 10 feet away from the shooter that had a gun pointed at her. She claims she can not describe them, she focused only on the gun, apparently deciding NOT to shoot her and left, Then we have some "God directed me to leave" nonsense.....yesterday they chased her well back into the USA shooting at her.

I first read hubby was shot in the back of the head, yet she pats the front of her forehead when she recalls it now. How does one get chased by boats and end up shot between the eyes?

I thought she got to him and tried to pull him up but couldn't.

IMO if he was shot in the back of the head, the bullet could have exited the forehead. Maybe when she tried to pull him up she saw the wound in the forehead.

Seems the police believe her. They are still searching the lake.

His family also believe her. I saw his Mom this morning on a morning show. She said she can not believe her daughter in law is having to go through this after going through what she did. For the record, the Mom was very upset, but no tears. (Just bringing that up due to the questions of why the wife had no tears)
I'm sure everyone in the family have shed their share. JMO

I'm sorry, I really want to believe her story but I just don't. I watched her again today being interviewed and she came across as being a very nervous woman who's trying desperately to cover her tracks. I'm wondering if his family is starting to question her too, since they weren't with her during this last interview. I really would like to know why the "other male witness" hasn't been identified. Several days ago, it was reported that there were "several witnesses", now the sheriff stated there was one male witness. Did he witness the actual attack on the couple? If he was that close, how did he avoid being ambushed as well? I sure hope a thorough investigation is in order because none of this adds up.

He should have been wearing a life jacket

I read somewhere yesterday that he DID have on a life jacket & that was just 1 thing LE couldnt understand...unable to find his body - he didnt sink.

Here is a little bit. Note, there are several misreports in the article though.

“They have not even found the jet ski Hartley was on, he also had a life jacket on so his body could not have sunk under water, but they (suspects) could have removed it,” explained Garcia.

http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-la...es-have-not-found-falcon-lake-shooting-victim

I saw at least three different interviews yesterday, where the wife was present. During the GMA interview, the hubby's family were the ones who were tearful and begging for help from the likes of Mrs. Clinton. When her MIL began to cry at one point, the wife tried to soothe her by caressing the MIL's arm.

After that, I saw at least two, if not more, interviews with other media outlets. I think they were all from yesterday because the wife had on the same clothes.

In the morning interview, the wife seemed composed. Serious, but not crying, it was her hubby's mom and sis who were crying. Later on, one interview was just the wife, and you could hear the emotion in her voice and the 'verge' of tears. Another interview was with her SIL and the wife was again very emotional in her plea for help to find her husband and bring him home.

I totally believe this woman. We can't take the accounts and back them up to each other and say she's not telling the same story. I think she is and it's the news agencies and THEIR SPIN that's making the story confusing.

This woman has been traumatized. Her world is upside down and her mission at this point, is to bring her husband home so she can bury him. She knows she's already lost him, but she can't stand the thought that he's either left out in the water, or that the perps COULD have his body hidden somewhere.

The wife is trying to get help and knows she needs to speak understandably. She can't say it through sobs and she's trying to maintain some sort of dignity. It's hard when this is such an emotional issue, especially because this is HER husband and HER life.

I honestly have been there, done that. Not from murder, but losing someone and trying to MAINTAIN, to be strong, when you're dying inside. But if you talk about the same thing over and over and over, at first you can hold back, but when, in this case, still nothing seems to be happening, or coming to a conclusion, you get desparate. She's started to sound desparate by the third interview I saw her in yesterday.

Oh, and I wouldn't necessarily believe what the Mexican authorities are saying either. I watched one case out of Nuevo Larado (sp?) where two 19 or 20 yo girls disappeared. Her family was in contact with local LE and they couldn't find the girls. LE told EVERYONE, at the time, all of the disappearances of US citizens, had to do with drugs. The family knew that was NOT true. Low and behold, about a month after the women had been missing, the family was in Mexico looking for the girls on their own, and found their car stored at the police facility and it had been there, all along.....These two young women are still missing and this was from, IIRC, 2004. Actually, at that time and over a year period, More than 45 Americans had disappeared just from THAT city alone. That's the same city where the sheriff was elected and the same day, I believe, he was gunned down in the street in broad daylight.

JMHO
fran

I read somewhere yesterday that he DID have on a life jacket & that was just 1 thing LE couldnt understand...unable to find his body - he didnt sink.

Here is a little bit. Note, there are several misreports in the article though.

“They have not even found the jet ski Hartley was on, he also had a life jacket on so his body could not have sunk under water, but they (suspects) could have removed it,” explained Garcia.

http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-la...es-have-not-found-falcon-lake-shooting-victim

Oh sure, because pirates always drag the bodies away to hide them...eyeroll...NOT!

They leave them laying around to mark the area the way an animal marks it's territory.

From Fran's link:

and this:

So, I do have a couple of questions: Do they live in CO or in TX? I think the parents live in McAllen but they live in CO? So how would he really know whether it was safe or not if he didn't even live there?? :waitasec: And her statement about he wouldn't put her in danger....hmmm, maybe not so much. She is much, much smaller than he is/was, so I can see how she wouldn't be able to get him up on her jet ski. :twocents:

It would certainly be a wonderful cover for a little insurance scam but IDK with all those other reports of very similar activity.....also the sheriff states that the pirates are teens, and some pre-teens who barely know how to handle a gun!

Oh, yeah, the article also says they have a witness who saw her coming back, pursued by at least one boat....

bbm

Hartley, 30, and his wife, Tiffany, both from Colorado, came to the border town three years ago after he took a new position with his longtime employer, CalFrac, a company that drills oil and gas wells.

Read more: Kin, friends bid farewell to American slain in Mexico waters - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/frontpage/ci_16264273#ixzz11abXLN00

A little about the "witness"...

Gonzalez pointed out that an independent witness — a man working outside that afternoon — looked out across the lake to see a small boat with four or five men in it chasing Tiffany Hartley on her WaveRunner. The pursuit lasted until she ran her machine aground in Zapata.

Read more: Kin, friends bid farewell to American slain in Mexico waters - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/frontpage/ci_16264273#ixzz11adnxEuH

Oh sure, because pirates always drag the bodies away to hide them...eyeroll...NOT!

They leave them laying around to mark the area the way an animal marks it's territory.

BBM - I've never read that. Is this for real or are you just thinking this is what they would do? I'm just wondering if this has happened in other cases.

I heard some elected Texan official yesterday talking about this- didn't get his name or title to memory but he said that there have been cases where higher up cartel members get angry at low level cartel members for murder that was not ordered by them.......and the low level cartel members get murdered for a "stupid" murder that brings unnecessary publicity or heat. So, the low level cartel members take the bodies and hide it from their own cartel bosses.

Thought that was interesting.

We also have to remember this happened almost a week ago. (IIRC on Sept. 30th - so that would be a week tomorrow)

I have no idea if her story is true....but, the situation is pathetic. Mexican pirates robbing people on the USA side of the lake and they can't be stopped?? Really?? That infuriates me! :furious::furious:

The wife said they were on the mexican side...not that it makes it any better, but....

Here is a story from May 2010 about pirates on Falcon Lake...

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/mexican-pirates-prey-on-boaters-on-texas-falcon-lake/19495275

(May 28) -- Texas' Falcon Lake is best known for its sport fishing, but lately it's the armed Mexican pirates that have attracted quite a bit of attention.

In recent weeks, groups of men with assault rifles and high-powered machine guns have boarded leisure boats demanding drugs and cash, leading authorities to believe that drug cartels are operating on the popular bass-fishing lake on the Mexican border.

***more at link***

another one:
http://www.smh.com.au/world/fishermen-become-mexican-pirates-new-catch-20100530-wnjf.html

Fishermen become Mexican pirates' new catch William Booth
May 31, 2010

ZAPATA, Texas: Falcon Lake, on the Rio Grande, is famous for its huge bass and for the maniacal obsession of the fishermen who come from all over Texas and the world to stalk them. Now this remote reservoir, which straddles the border between the US and Mexico, is known for something else: pirates.

The pirates claim to be ''federales'', or police, but instead are brigands - with the letter ''Z'' tattooed on their necks and arms - from the notorious drug cartel ''Los Zetas''.

The Zetas are on a rampage of killing and extortion along the Mexican border as they fight gun and grenade battles against the military and the rival Gulf Cartel.

the location of the head wound is a little puzzling to me as well. The wife said she saw her husband get shot, she went to his aid and he was floating in the water face down. She turned him over and then saw the bullet wound to the front of his head.

I think we'll all just have to wait and see how this plays out.....

Today Show...she couldn't pinch one single tear

FWIW, people grieve differently. Not everyone cries when they grieve. Case in point, my dad died when I was 15. I went to school the next day. Why? Because being at home was so unbearable. When I was at school that day, I didn't cry. Oh, I'm sure people thought, "Man, she's crazy! Her dad just died, AND shes back at school today, AND she's not crying!" Was my heart broken into a million pieces? You bet. Some of us just handle our grief differently. Doesn't make us bad, or suspect.

Now...having said that, I'm still not sure I believe her story.

I heard some elected Texan official yesterday talking about this- didn't get his name or title to memory but he said that there have been cases where higher up cartel members get angry at low level cartel members for murder that was not ordered by them.......and the low level cartel members get murdered for a "stupid" murder that brings unnecessary publicity or heat. So, the low level cartel members take the bodies and hide it from their own cartel bosses.

Thought that was interesting.

I can see that as a possibility, mysterygirl. I've also heard speculation that the pirates might try to ransom the body back to the family.

the location of the head wound is a little puzzling to me as well. The wife said she saw her husband get shot, she went to his aid and he was floating in the water face down. She turned him over and then saw the bullet wound to the front of his head.

I think we'll all just have to wait and see how this plays out.....

Could the injury to the front of his head be an exit wound?

Is it possible pirates did take him and his jetski because they wanted to look for something on them? I'm thinking money or something else they would value, plus there is a value to a jetski also.

VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member