Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure out the direction Jenny was heading in the Corona truck. This article says that she left Oaxaca City April 11 and was tracked to Juchitan, where she was seen getting on a Corona truck April 12 about 2:00 pm on highway 185 that was heading the opposite direction from where she was going. Apparently teacher strikes would be blocking the road (where?) so the driver "persuaded" (or perhaps suggested to) Jenny to go in the different direction with him.

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/missing-jenny-chen-tracked-juchitan/

Juchitan is about 178 miles (4.5 hours by car) from Oaxaca City. Interesting place. From there it's about 16 hours by car to Cancun, so I can see that she thought it would be a good side trip.
http://www.oaxacatimes.com/inprint/currentissuemenu/34-culture

But what does it mean by "opposite direction" on 185. She should have gone north. Going south doesn't get you too far, unless you catch 185D and circle back around to catch 185 a little further north. We don't know where the teachers' blockade was. Did the driver take 190 through Chiapas, which truck drivers try to avoid? Did all the drivers that day get to their destinations?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Juc...1!1s0x8f4c2b05aef653db:0xce32b73c625fcd8a!3e0

I found something that might shed light on the direction the truck was traveling. Somewhere JR had mentioned the name of the PI he was using. I found he had a flyer, asking to retweet it to to pressure Corona to release the info they need on the driver.

I don't think we're supposed to link it? But I put the text into google translate and, paraphrasing it said:
She was traveling in Mexico, Oaxaca to Cancun for a ride. She was last seen boarding a double trailer Corona brewery truck on Tue, Apr 12 at 2pm at the junction of Lagunas (Oaxaca) on Federal Hwy 185 in the direction of Juchitan, and probably on to Tuxtla Gutierrez to continue heading to Cancun.

Without a court order or law enforcement search warrant/order wouldn't a company not be bound to disclose Personal Identifying Information to a 3rd party, as would be any standard practice - give if some one random showed up at my front office and said "I am a PI looking for information on your drivers" a company would be in immense legal peril if they divulged such information without legal authority/order to do so, correct? I would at least hope so if someone came looking to get my name/address because I may have been driving a truck in the area. Get real JR, the lead is now cold.

Here's a photo of the teachers blockade:

attachment.php

From this story about the strike: http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/strike-closes-fewer-schools-than-expected/

But this was around May 18, not April 12. I wonder where the earlier blockade was.

I found something that might shed light on the direction the truck was traveling. Somewhere JR had mentioned the name of the PI he was using. I found he had a flyer, asking to retweet it to to pressure Corona to release the info they need on the driver.

I don't think we're supposed to link it? But I put the text into google translate and, paraphrasing it said:
She was traveling in Mexico, Oaxaca to Cancun for a ride. She was last seen boarding a double trailer Corona brewery truck on Tue, Apr 12 at 2pm at the junction of Lagunas (Oaxaca) on Federal Hwy 185 in the direction of Juchitan, and probably on to Tuxtla Gutierrez to continue heading to Cancun.

Thanks! Interesting. She was north of Juchitan. She should have continued north, not south. It could make sense to travel south to Juchitan and then catch the 190 east to Tuxtla Gutierrez where there is an airport if she chose to fly to Cancun. The roads out of TG are very curvey, so travel by vehicle would be slow. For someone who needed to get to Cancun by April 15, she isn't being too sensible. JMO

:blushing:

:sorry:

You're too cute! No worries. I didn't mean to be so short in my response...multitasking today. It's sure hard to keep track of this crazy case! :scared: Who knows, they have so many strikes, it's probably a stock picture. :D

There's this...fwiw

Teachers renew their protests over reforms
Strikes, blockades today in Chiapas, Oaxaca, Guerrero and Michoacán

April 15, 2016

Snipped...
...It was like old times in Oaxaca this morning when members of the Section 22 local of the CNTE teachers’ union hijacked public transit buses, privately owned delivery trucks and even an excavator to erect barricades at various locations in the capital city and snarl traffic.

State officials reported that blockades had also been erected on at least three major highways: the Pinotepa-Acapulco section of the coastal highway, one in the Isthmus of Tehuantepec and a third on the Oaxaca-Mexico City highway.

- See more at: http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/teachers-renew-their-protests-over-reforms/#sthash.fPJtV5Ir.dpuf

ETA:
Snipped...
...Reinhard, who lives in Seattle, Washington, has since hired a private investigator who tracked the missing woman to the city of Juchitán in the Isthmus of Tehuantepec region of Oaxaca state. Witnesses there told the investigator that Chen was seen climbing into a Corona delivery truck, a tractor-trailer unit, at 2:00pm April 12 on highway 185.

- See more at: http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/missing-jenny-chen-tracked-juchitan/

Without a court order or law enforcement search warrant/order wouldn't a company not be bound to disclose Personal Identifying Information to a 3rd party, as would be any standard practice - give if some one random showed up at my front office and said "I am a PI looking for information on your drivers" a company would be in immense legal peril if they divulged such information without legal authority/order to do so, correct? I would at least hope so if someone came looking to get my name/address because I may have been driving a truck in the area. Get real JR, the lead is now cold.

I believe that would have to be up to the policies of the company. They could release the information if they wanted to, or not release it, if they didn’t want to. I can think of a lot of good reasons, a company wouldn’t want to release any information about their employees.

Thanks! Interesting. She was north of Juchitan. She should have continued north, not south. It could make sense to travel south to Juchitan and then catch the 190 east to Tuxtla Gutierrez where there is an airport if she chose to fly to Cancun. The roads out of TG are very curvey, so travel by vehicle would be slow. For someone who needed to get to Cancun by April 15, she isn't being too sensible. JMO

If they think the truck may have gone to Tuxtla Gutierrez, did they go there to ask around if anyone remembers seeing her?

There seems to be a lot of protesting going where Jenny was. Not only the teachers, but I recall a picture of a bus Jenny had taken that was for a group protesting for some other cause. I read that these teacher demonstrations sometimes get violent, and sometimes the police make arrests.. Would she have got caught up in their midst and gotten carted off with others to jail? I guess that's usually one of the first things they check when someone is missing, though--they check hospitals and jails, don't they.

Just trying to think of other things that can be explored, instead of focusing only on the Grupo Modelo problema. Time is passing so quickly. Is she about 6 weeks missing, now?

I don't see how witnesses heard the driver trying to persuade jenny to get in. She was hitching a ride throughout her trip. Plus they heard him say that a protest is why they have to go the opposite way?

So these witnesses vouched to hubby and the p.i that she was persuaded. But nobody got his name since they were right there?

I don't see how witnesses heard the driver trying to persuade jenny to get in. She was hitching a ride throughout her trip. Plus they heard him say that a protest is why they have to go the opposite way?

So these witnesses vouched to hubby and the p.i that she was persuaded. But nobody got his name since they were right there?

I can imagine she was at a gas station - according to the poster cited above, she had gotten as far as where Highway 185 turns off to the major town of Lagunas, makes sense it would be a location for a service station though I can't tell from google earth, only that there is some kind of building there.

I can also imagine someone eg the attendant (in Mexico stations still have attendants pump gas) and/or maybe her ride who wasn't going any farther, was maybe helping her find a ride or just paying attention as she approached vehicles to ask for a ride. She would be very conspicuous and memorable and the clerk etc would all be watching her. The truck driver would be sharing the info that he was heading back to take a roundabout route, since he had been blocked by a strike, certainly information that would be very interesting to anyone in a gas station or heading in that direction. The attendant or whomever, might have commented on the situation of this tourist getting in the truck to the other staff, so they would all confirm it weeks later.

Another point is that rural Mexico is still what the US and other countries used to be, life and business is slow and there are always people hanging around shooting the breeze, or trying to make a few dollars with a little stand, or a taxi waiting for a fare, and a novel situation would attract attention and comments from all those onlookers.

I can imagine she was at a gas station - according to the poster cited above, she had gotten as far as where Highway 185 turns off to the major town of Lagunas, makes sense it would be a location for a service station though I can't tell from google earth, only that there is some kind of building there.

I can also imagine someone eg the attendant (in Mexico stations still have attendants pump gas) and/or maybe her ride who wasn't going any farther, was maybe helping her find a ride or just paying attention as she approached vehicles to ask for a ride. She would be very conspicuous and memorable and the clerk etc would all be watching her. The truck driver would be sharing the info that he was heading back to take a roundabout route, since he had been blocked by a strike, certainly information that would be very interesting to anyone in a gas station or heading in that direction. The attendant or whomever, might have commented on the situation of this tourist getting in the truck to the other staff, so they would all confirm it weeks later.

Is this the area on Highway 185 where she is said to have gotten a ride from the Corona truck?
https://www.google.com/maps/@16.815...KsF4SaU9xq5BXg-i4w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

When I went on google street view for this part of the Hwy, it made my eyes widen to see what was parked there...a double-trailer Corona truck--how ironic is that. If you go in the opposite direction on Hwy 185 a ways, there is a large Pemex gas station which seems to be designed as a truck stop. There's lots of trucks there. Maybe that is where she was when she met and accepted the ride from the Corona driver.

Is this the area on Highway 185 where she is said to have gotten a ride from the Corona truck?
https://www.google.com/maps/@16.815...KsF4SaU9xq5BXg-i4w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

When I went on google street view for this part of the Hwy, it made my eyes widen to see what was parked there...a double-trailer Corona truck--how ironic is that. If you go in the opposite direction on Hwy 185 a ways, there is a large Pemex gas station which seems to be designed as a truck stop. There's lots of trucks there. Maybe that is where she was when she met and accepted the ride from the Corona driver.

Wow! That street view is ironic. Great find! That exact junction is where Jenny is said to have hitched a ride, not specifically at a gas station. I think there are enough people around right there that someone could have easily heard Jenny and the driver discussing the route he was taking.

Not in reply to anyone, but I still think the word "persuaded" used in the article may mean "suggested" or "encouraged" rather than having any nefarious connotation. The truck driver may have been trying to save her time and trouble in her travels. I'm going to assume that's the case until we know more. JMO

Wow! That street view is ironic. Great find! That exact junction is where Jenny is said to have hitched a ride, not specifically at a gas station. I think there are enough people around right there that someone could have easily heard Jenny and the driver discussing the route he was taking.

Not in reply to anyone, but I still think the word "persuaded" used in the article may mean "suggested" or "encouraged" rather than having any nefarious connotation. The truck driver may have been trying to save her time and trouble in her travels. I'm going to assume that's the case until we know more. JMO

When I zoomed in on the Corona truck there, there is a number on the rear of the trailer: RE0204. So, maybe this is the kind of truck info given to the PI. Maybe this is one of the seven trucks identified by the company said to travel this way. Wouldn't it be something if this was the actual truck? The image capture on the bottom of the street view says Dec 2015, so it's fairly recent.
https://www.google.com/maps/@16.815...4!1sp9PJVB7DJTN-6sfbVgif8Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Thanks for finding that street view, that is amazing to see the Corona truck, and also to roam that particular crossroads and see the big Pemex station.

The reason I thought of a gas station was that vehicles there would be going in both directions - so it's not too much of a stretch to see how she could get into a vehicle going south instead of north, and they're already safely parked. Given the limited shoulder space on most of those highways for anyone to pull over, that she might stand around the gas station with her sign makes sense to me.

When I zoomed in on the Corona truck there, there is a number on the rear of the trailer: RE0204. So, maybe this is the kind of truck info given to the PI. Maybe this is one of the seven trucks identified by the company said to travel this way. Wouldn't it be something if this was the actual truck? The image capture on the bottom of the street view says Dec 2015, so it's fairly recent.
https://www.google.com/maps/@16.815...4!1sp9PJVB7DJTN-6sfbVgif8Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You've been quoted on the Find Jenny FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/620011161507265/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members