Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO older men who go to Asia to find wives tend to have some things in common: Frustration/anger with women in their own country who they see as being "too independent" and a desire for someone young, submissive, and in an easily exploitable financial situation who will cook, clean, and respect the man's authority. When traveling throughout Asia I encountered many rather pathetic-seeming middle-aged or older American men with beautiful very young women. Mostly the kinds of awkward, un-charismatic men who would have a hard time finding a girlfriend in the States. None of those couples seemed remotely happy at least from an outside observer perspective- lots of silent, scowling dinners, etc. From what I've seen on her social media, Jenny doesn't fit the stereotype at all. She seemed quite independent and outspoken. I wonder about her coming to the States, improving her English, getting her green card, finishing school, and how these things may have given her confidence and changed the dynamic of her relationship (or arrangement) with JR. I wonder if he felt duped in some ways, like he didn't get what he expected. MOO, pure speculation.

Just HAVE to respond. My better half and I met online. We were both getting close to middle age, and looking for a "serious" marriage partner -not "dating", "company", a "relationship", etc. For those who have never done such a thing, it really is different: Everything is sort of opposite to how that happens normally. You set your "demographic" requirements, such as age, religion, nationality, etc. vs. just "hitting it off" with someone. Hitting it off with someone often makes those demographics just go away -they just aren't important, because you already know, or know early on, that you're compatible. The online approach, by necessity, requires those things up front, as a way of "starting somewhere".

To get back to the point, my husband's friend advised him to set his requirements to Asian, because "Asian women are more obedient." No, I'm not kidding. I think it my husband's friend's opinion reflects everything that bajatacos is saying here, and likely would manifest itself in the people mentioned on the travels throughout Asia.

I also agree that all of the subsequent things -improving her English, getting her green card, etc., might make her become much more independent than she was when she first met JR.

I THINK the Indian restaurant is gone now. And the No Trespassing sign may be due to vagrants; for a long time there were people sleeping regularly in doorways along that block. People lived in some of the houses along there. The house are slowly being replaced...

I gather JR does not live in the U District. Would love to know how he stumbled upon this place.

The original news article said he lives in Wallingford.

bbm
Another scenario I could imagine that would make him leave Mexico w/o reporting her missing is that he thought she might have flown/hiked/driven back home to Seattle without him, maybe because they had a fight or had grown distant prior to her leaving for Mexico (the lack of phone calls to him while she was traveling would fit with this theory).

Many years ago, I once arranged with a boyfriend to meet in Paris, France, for a weekend getaway. I arrived at the hotel we had agreed on, but he didn't, at least not on time. He arrived almost 24 later, but during those hours I waited I thought about flying over to London (where he lived) to find out what happened. Never would I have thought to report him missing in France. (This was before cell phones and email, etc, and the new flat he had rented in London didn't have a working landline yet.)

So yea, I could imagine him getting back to Seatttle first to check if she's there, and then report her missing.

jmo

Good thought. And great personal story! How romantic. :)

However, if I were JR (heaven forbid!) and believed my wife's itinerary was to yet continue on to Cuba, then NY, before returning home on the July 4weekend, and also seeing that her online journaling presence has come to an abrupt stop while in Oaxaca, I think I would believe she was still in Mexico at that time. I think I would've stayed in Mexico at minimum until the day she was scheduled to fly to Cuba (assuming he knew when her flight was booked) to look for her at the airport.

Maybe in the beginning he was in disbelief, and did only minimal reporting her disappearance to authorities, thinking his unpredictable free-spirited wife was sure to turn up any day now. So, he goes on home. But then, still nothing. No sign of her. He wonders if she just doesn't want to be with him anymore as a reason for her not meeting up with him in Cancun. But then, every friend and family members say they still have not heard from her. He finally comes to the full realization that she really is missing, that something bad may have happened to her. And...here we are!

Hi all,

I am new here and this is my first time posting so please forgive me if I break any rules.

I have been following this case very closely. Jenny reminds me of myself when I was her age. I had a thirst for independence, immense interest in other cultures and a serious case of wanderlust. In 2011 I decided to travel through Mexico on my own (not hitchhiking...I took buses). I had one very difficult situation that prompted me to head home after a few months. Besides that, everybody I met was lovely, helpful and seemed genuine.

Fast forward to now, I am currently living in Mexico. Mexico is a wonderful place. However, for the life of me, I cannot figure out what Jenny was thinking when she decided to hitchhike across Mexico. I feel like she was either completely and utterly naive, or somebody told her it would be a good idea.

The other day, I recieved an e-mail notification regarding JR's arrest in a massage parlour. This is an interesting development because I myself worked in a massage parlour ( I don't normally share this with anyone, this was a very different time in my life). I would like to clarify that massage parlours ARE NOT all involved in human trafficking. There are actually women who choose to take part in this line of work, for whatever reason. Not all women who chose this line of work are drug addicted/poor/desperate/uneducated. I met many wonderful women who did the job because they were single mothers and wanted to provide a certain level of comfort for their families, or women who had no family support and wanted to graduate from university debt free, etc etc etc. I am not saying that trafficking does not take place, but not every massage parlour is like this. With that being said, in my experience, law enforcement tends to target establishments who hire or have a history of hiring underage workers, trafficked workers or undocumented workers. As well, never once did I ever encounter a client who didn't know what was going on within the establishment...this is just my personal experience from years ago. I just felt the need to let people know that not all workers in massage parlours are victims and not all clients are predators. However, if I was desperately soliciting donations to search for a loved one, the last thing I would be doing is drunkingly seeking a massage parlour, be it a legitimate massage or otherwise. This is just my opinion and I know people handle grief and stress in different ways.

Now that I live in Mexico and following this case, my gut says what most of you are saying. I hope Jenny is ok, and I always keep my eye out for her. Even though there are 125 million people here, I feel like one day I just might see her.

The last piece of irony is that I live right in front of the Corona factory in Mexico City. I see Corona trucks every day and this constantly reminds me that there is a very interesting case in front of us...

:welcome6: karma7728

Thanks for your insightful first post!

Good thought. And great personal story! How romantic. :)

However, if I were JR (heaven forbid!) and believed my wife's itinerary was to yet continue on to Cuba, then NY, before returning home on the July 4weekend, and also seeing that her online journaling presence has come to an abrupt stop while in Oaxaca, I think I would believe she was still in Mexico at that time. I think I would've stayed in Mexico at minimum until the day she was scheduled to fly to Cuba (assuming he knew when her flight was booked) to look for her at the airport.

Maybe in the beginning he was in disbelief, and did only minimal reporting her disappearance to authorities, thinking his unpredictable free-spirited wife was sure to turn up any day now. So, he goes on home. But then, still nothing. No sign of her. He wonders if she just doesn't want to be with him anymore as a reason for her not meeting up with him in Cancun. But then, every friend and family members say they still have not heard from her. He finally comes to the full realization that she really is missing, that something bad may have happened to her. And...here we are!

Thank you! Yes it was very romantic, and we had a lovely time in Paris :) (when he finally turned up lol)

But back to Jenny, I get more and more the feeling that they were on the verge of breaking up, and when she left for Mexico, it wasn't with hugs and kisses. The fact that she didn't give him her phone number speaks volumes imo. When she didn't turn up in Cancun to meet up with him he might have felt humiliated and angry. I can imagine him, as you say, being very torn between worry and anger, not knowing if she had stood him up or if something had happened to her. I can imagine him keeping the possibility of her having left him out of the media and fb because he feels too humiliated, hence he comes across as not being fully open and transparent. I think he really believes that she left him, met someone else possibly, and is angry, and this might be the reason his actions to find her seem so halfhearted and disorganized and why he went to that massage parlor. all jmo

I THINK the Indian restaurant is gone now. And the No Trespassing sign may be due to vagrants; for a long time there were people sleeping regularly in doorways along that block. People lived in some of the houses along there. The house are slowly being replaced...

I gather JR does not live in the U District. Would love to know how he stumbled upon this place.

I believe one of the local news (Komo maybe?) mentioned he lives in Wallingford

Welcome, Karma! Fascinating first post. It really helps to have people here with a wide variety of experience in life. How ironic that you live across from Corona! Are you fluent in Spanish? If so, are we getting articles translated correctly on Google or are we being misled? Thanks for any other insights you have.

:welcome4:

Great post and fantastic insight.

Hi all,

I am new here and this is my first time posting so please forgive me if I break any rules.

I have been following this case very closely. Jenny reminds me of myself when I was her age. I had a thirst for independence, immense interest in other cultures and a serious case of wanderlust. In 2011 I decided to travel through Mexico on my own (not hitchhiking...I took buses). I had one very difficult situation that prompted me to head home after a few months. Besides that, everybody I met was lovely, helpful and seemed genuine.

Fast forward to now, I am currently living in Mexico. Mexico is a wonderful place. However, for the life of me, I cannot figure out what Jenny was thinking when she decided to hitchhike across Mexico. I feel like she was either completely and utterly naive, or somebody told her it would be a good idea.

The other day, I recieved an e-mail notification regarding JR's arrest in a massage parlour. This is an interesting development because I myself worked in a massage parlour ( I don't normally share this with anyone, this was a very different time in my life). I would like to clarify that massage parlours ARE NOT all involved in human trafficking. There are actually women who choose to take part in this line of work, for whatever reason. Not all women who chose this line of work are drug addicted/poor/desperate/uneducated. I met many wonderful women who did the job because they were single mothers and wanted to provide a certain level of comfort for their families, or women who had no family support and wanted to graduate from university debt free, etc etc etc. I am not saying that trafficking does not take place, but not every massage parlour is like this. With that being said, in my experience, law enforcement tends to target establishments who hire or have a history of hiring underage workers, trafficked workers or undocumented workers. As well, never once did I ever encounter a client who didn't know what was going on within the establishment...this is just my personal experience from years ago. I just felt the need to let people know that not all workers in massage parlours are victims and not all clients are predators. However, if I was desperately soliciting donations to search for a loved one, the last thing I would be doing is drunkingly seeking a massage parlour, be it a legitimate massage or otherwise. This is just my opinion and I know people handle grief and stress in different ways.

Now that I live in Mexico and following this case, my gut says what most of you are saying. I hope Jenny is ok, and I always keep my eye out for her. Even though there are 125 million people here, I feel like one day I just might see her.

The last piece of irony is that I live right in front of the Corona factory in Mexico City. I see Corona trucks every day and this constantly reminds me that there is a very interesting case in front of us...

Hi Lilibet,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I haven't been following the specific translations (I guess I am not following the case "very closely"!) but if anybody would like an article translated, please feel free to send it my way! I am not fluent in Spanish, but it would be fantastic practice to translate, and my husband is fluent and patient with my questions and demands lol. Google translate is a fabulous tool but unfortunately it isn't 100% correct.

JR posted this link and the name of the reporter doing interviews today, Ciro Gómez Leyva.
http://www.radioformula.com.mx/notas.asp?Idn=608963&idFC=2016

That link shows the article I posted last night with the rough translation. By clicking above on "radio" I found the reporter and narrowed down the link. There are a few podcasts today, nothing specific about Jenny AFAIK.
http://www.radioformula.com.mx/perfil.asp

Then someone posted a link to this podcast of an interview by that reporter with JR's Mexican attorney. I don't think it has a lot to do with Jenny but I can't tell. The comment indicated that Moreno says the office of Oaxaca is not acting in the case of a missing citizen of China (I thought I heard "Cheena" so maybe he did say something.) Have at it, anyone who understands rapid Spanish.

http://www.radioformula.com.mx/reproductor.asp

Here is the teaser, which seems to be more about politics than Jenny:
Ciro Gómez Leyva entrevista a Everardo Moreno. En el caso de la CNTE Osorio Chong le está fallando al Presidente

"Son cosas tan concretas, y ahora, tres mesas. Entonces, pregunto ¿Se podrá sentir contento el señor Peña Nieto de ver que el Secretario de Gobernación no le resuelve el problema?, señaló el abogado Everardo Moreno.

Hi Lilibet,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I haven't been following the specific translations (I guess I am not following the case "very closely"!) but if anybody would like an article translated, please feel free to send it my way! I am not fluent in Spanish, but it would be fantastic practice to translate, and my husband is fluent and patient with my questions and demands lol. Google translate is a fabulous tool but unfortunately it isn't 100% correct.

Thanks! Here is your first assignment...should you choose to accept it (cue Mission Impossible theme). :D I just posted a radio podcast with JR's Mexican attorney, Everardo Moreno. It's the third link and about four minutes. Would your patient husband listen and could you let us know if Moreno says anything more about Jenny than I've already mentioned in that post? Eternal gratitude!

ETA: I found a link to the whole show, which is about 40 minutes. I think the four minute link in my previous post is probably where Moreno talks about Jenny.

Thanks! Here is your first assignment...should you choose to accept it (cue Mission Impossible theme). :D I just posted a radio podcast with JR's Mexican attorney, Everardo Moreno. It's the third link and about four minutes. Would your patient husband listen and could you let us know if Moreno says anything more about Jenny than I've already mentioned in that post? Eternal gratitude!

ETA: I found a link to the whole show, which is about 40 minutes. I think the four minute link in my previous post is probably where Moreno talks about Jenny.

Lol. Dang girl.

Put a sister to work after her first post on the entire site. Lol.

But seriously. I hope she doesn't take too long with the translation; Because we don't have all day. -Just Joking -

Btw: Welcome to Websleuths Karma. We are truly glad that you are here. Enjoy the site.

A question to all of you, as I continue to ponder a theory.
*If* Jenny is still alive, and *not* being held against her will....what are some of your theories as to why this might be?

A question to all of you, as I continue to ponder a theory.
*If* Jenny is still alive, and *not* being held against her will....what are some of your theories as to why this might be?

Well, the obvious would be, she met someone else and wants out of this marriage but doesn't want to face JR.

Based on recent events involving Jenny's husband has anyone considered the fact that maybe Jenny doesn't want to be found? Serious question. I would hate to think that everyone is trying to track down someone who was trying to escape the best way she knew how.

I believe one of the local news (Komo maybe?) mentioned he lives in Wallingford

Thanks. That is basically right next door to the U District, so not as weird as I thought. I had found some info that led me to think he lived downtown, a few miles away.

JR is a narcissist. I would try and escape him too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Based on recent events involving Jenny's husband has anyone considered the fact that maybe Jenny doesn't want to be found? Serious question. I would hate to think that everyone is trying to track down someone who was trying to escape the best way she knew how.

Absolutely --- getting a new phone before she left & not giving him the number says something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grumpie13