Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point about the cement truck. Another mystery. :)
Hmmm.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_mixer

Concrete mixers generally do not travel far from their plant, as the concrete begins to set as soon as it is in the truck. Many contractors require that the concrete be in place within 90 minutes after loading. If the truck breaks down or for some other reason the concrete hardens in the truck, workers may need to enter the barrel with jackhammers.[2]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm going back through the early part of this thread finding early info from the radio shows about the truck stop. Boy it's interesting reading our comments during the time of the sting. :D But I digress...

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-2&p=12685542#post12685542

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-2&p=12688345#post12688345

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-2&p=12688779#post12688779

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-2&p=12689558#post12689558

Slowpoke and I try to figure out conflicting dates and information.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-2&p=12690477#post12690477

I think I got most of them. Please add if I didn't, and comment on anything that conflicts with or agrees with the press release if you want.

After looking for the radio interview translations I posted earlier, I continued reading through about the end of July on this thread. We went round and round going over information released, trying to clear up ambiguities and make sense of it all. I was tired just reading our posts. I still am tired. We have worked HARD. Here's an example of trying to make sense of contradictory information in order to make a timeline.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-2&p=12719248#post12719248
I tnink we may have a timelime more firmly in place with JR's press release. But the GPS log does nothing to confirm it. We aren't even sure if the log is related to the truck Jenny got into.

This HFJ post of JR's on July 28 jumped out at me. He refers to the credible witnesses verified by his PI, but later he says that either the witnesses or the driver know something. So either the witnesses are credible or they are holding back information. Does he still feel that way? His recent press release didn't indicate doubt on his part about the witnesses at Lagunas Crossing.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/647634228744958/

Thanks for the review, Lilibet. I never like a case where timelines and "facts" keep changing. I think most of us here have seen enough cases to know where shifting stories tend to lead. The truth doesn't change.

Nothing to add right now, but just wanted to give a shout out to all for your awesome contributions since JR released his "press release". We have some bright, hard-working minds here. I hope somehow it can assist in locating Jenny.

Thank you all, but special recognition to Lilibet: You truly have a gift for writing. Concise, yet clear version of a press release. And Webant, thanks for all the research and phone calling to get the info on the GPS data.

Well, maybe one thing that struck me about reading JR's press release, was that there was no mention of Juchitan. Prior to the release, we repeatly heard she was tracked TO the city of Juchitan. But then other articles do say "close to Juchitan".
And on their own prior press release, they use both TO and CLOSE TO in the same notice! No wonder it wasn't clear where Jenny was last to those of us into the details. Currently, I have to think that JR and the PI have meant Lagunas Crossing all along, right? Do you think they have been putting in "Juchitan" before this due to the truck's GPS record which show the driver traveled there?
"TO Juchitan" http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/missing-jenny-chen-tracked-juchitan/
"CLOSE TO Juchitan" http://www.king5.com/news/local/mis...s-corona-for-impeding-investigation/226459517
Both "TO" and "CLOSE TO" http://helpfindjenny.weebly.com/

Unless they can without a doubt get evidence to show Jenny was in the truck that went to Juchitan (per the record of JS provided us), so far we only know that she made it as far as Lagunas crossing, right?

I wonder if her last Couch Surfing host saw her get into any vehicle after she left. I will search back to see if we talked about it, but if somebody remembers, could you please comment?

I recall this info early on, translated:

After six hours of testimony, watching videos and testimonies, research officers he notified the US telecommunications engineer, C4 cameras caught Jenny Chen, at 10:17 am on Monday, April 11 against the Peppa Pig cafe where exchanged words with a man and then continued on his way towards Administrative City on federal highway 190 Christopher Columbus in Tlalixtac jurisdiction of Cabrera.

http://www.nvinoticias.com/nota/8660/esposo-busca-china-desaparecida

Thanks for the review, Lilibet. I never like a case where timelines and "facts" keep changing. I think most of us here have seen enough cases to know where shifting stories tend to lead. The truth doesn't change.

I agree about shifting stories when we're dealing with cases in the U.S. for sure. The parents of DeOrr Kunz are a classic example. I don't think the shifting "facts" in Jenny's case are necessarily more than the language barrier, poor communication among all the parties involved, including MSM, combined with JR's limitations.

As others have very kindly posted, he's never done anything like this before, he's dealing with a corrupt system, and he apparently is immobilized by depression at times. He has done a LOT under these extremely trying circumstances and he hasn't given up. I give him lots of credit for all of that.

But that doesn't prevent my frustration about trying to make sense of the information he posts and asks people to share. Clarity is essential and that's not a skill he has, so I wish he would enlist help from a friend to gather all the known facts into a coherent narrative of Jenny's movements, explaining why some witnesses are credible and others aren't, if possible. Maybe that's too much to ask, but at this point, I have no reason to believe the shopkeeper or disbelieve the driver.

And above all...where's Jenny?

Nothing to add right now, but just wanted to give a shout out to all for your awesome contributions since JR released his "press release". We have some bright, hard-working minds here. I hope somehow it can assist in locating Jenny.

Thank you all, but special recognition to Lilibet: You truly have a gift for writing. Concise, yet clear version of a press release. And Webant, thanks for all the research and phone calling to get the info on the GPS data.

Well, maybe one thing that struck me about reading JR's press release, was that there was no mention of Juchitan. Prior to the release, we repeatly heard she was tracked TO the city of Juchitan. But then other articles do say "close to Juchitan".
And on their own prior press release, they use both TO and CLOSE TO in the same notice! No wonder it wasn't clear where Jenny was last to those of us into the details. Currently, I have to think that JR and the PI have meant Lagunas Crossing all along, right? Do you think they have been putting in "Juchitan" before this due to the truck's GPS record which show the driver traveled there?
"TO Juchitan" http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/missing-jenny-chen-tracked-juchitan/
"CLOSE TO Juchitan" http://www.king5.com/news/local/mis...s-corona-for-impeding-investigation/226459517
Both "TO" and "CLOSE TO" http://helpfindjenny.weebly.com/

Unless they can without a doubt get evidence to show Jenny was in the truck that went to Juchitan (per the record of JS provided us), so far we only know that she made it as far as Lagunas crossing, right?
BBM
Returning the shoutout, Slowpoke! Your contributions have been invaluable. :loveyou:

Thank you for lining up those links about Juchitan. Your link to JR's very own earlier press release perfectly illustrates the inconsistencies we have been dealing with here. No mention of Lagunas Crossing.

A Mexican private investigator tracked Jenny’s April 11 route from Oaxaca City, to Juchitan, Oaxaca, approximately 6 hours away. He located the family she stayed with on the night of April 11 in Juchitan. The next day, on April 12, Jenny tried to catch a ride from Juchitlan toward Cancun from passing vehicles on Hwy. 185.
BBM

I understand that Juchitan is the main city in the area, but Lagunas Crossing is 50 minutes away. Using my old stomping grounds as an example, that would be like saying Jenny stayed in Eureka, CA and hitchhiked from there when in actuality she stayed in the very small town of Weott, also on highway 101 but 50 minutes south and worlds apart.

You are absolutely right that the only thing we know for sure is that Jenny made it to Lagunas Crossing. The only evidence of that is her signature in Chinese in the shopkeeper's notebook. Nothing but witnesses places her in the truck, and as I mentioned upthread, JR called them credible but in the next breath said they might know something. The GPS log does not put the truck at Lagunas Crossing around 2:00 pm, and the gap at that time is meaningless because there are other significant gaps. JMO

ETA: In addition, we don't know if the driver JSR named on the GPS log is actually the driver suspected of picking up Jenny. JR refers to him in a comment as the driver with the family who said he was part of a convoy with the other driver, but was lying. So if he isn't the suspected driver, why are we looking at his log?

I recall this info early on, translated:

After six hours of testimony, watching videos and testimonies, research officers he notified the US telecommunications engineer, C4 cameras caught Jenny Chen, at 10:17 am on Monday, April 11 against the Peppa Pig cafe where exchanged words with a man and then continued on his way towards Administrative City on federal highway 190 Christopher Columbus in Tlalixtac jurisdiction of Cabrera.

http://www.nvinoticias.com/nota/8660/esposo-busca-china-desaparecida

Hm, something else interesting at that link is where it says:
Y de ahí el último informe que tienen es el aportado por los choferes del transporte público de Chiapas.
which google translate says means: "And hence the latest report they have is provided by drivers of public transport in Chiapas." I wonder if JR's PI has since discounted that, not finding any evidence to support that she moved on to Chiapas.

So a trusted friend of the shopkeeper was going to drive round trip from Oaxaca to Cancun and back for Jenny?

How many hours is that round trip?

They don't have Greyhound charter buses out there or something.

So a trusted friend of the shopkeeper was going to drive round trip from Oaxaca to Cancun and back for Jenny?

How many hours is that round trip?

They don't have Greyhound charter buses out there or something.

Round trip driving is 34 hours. One way cost is $80-130; both ways would be $160-260. Was Jenny going to pay for gas both ways? I doubt it. But if she was, it would be cheaper to take the bus, even though it takes twice as long.

One way by bus is 33.5 hours. One way cost is $80-141.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Cancún/Juchitán-de-Zaragoza

Round trip driving is 34 hours. One way cost is $80-130; both ways would be $160-260. Was Jenny going to pay for gas both ways? I doubt it. But if she was, it would be cheaper to take the bus, even though it takes twice as long.

One way by bus is 33.5 hours. One way cost is $80-141.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Cancún/Juchitán-de-Zaragoza

Hmmm. Plus paying the person for their time of the actual driving would be even more expensive.

So why would Jenny agree to that. Maybe she did at first but was headstrong on hitchhiking.

I see they have planes from Oaxaca to Cancun as well and the flight is 4hrs and change. But I think its Oaxaca city or something. Idk.

But you are right. The bus would have been cheaper and easier.

I'm just surprised that the shopkeeper found a friend that was willing to drive a hitchhiker 20 hrs one way and then 20 hrs back.

Thats like driving from California to Philadelphia and back. Lol.

Hm, something else interesting at that link is where it says: which google translate says means: "And hence the latest report they have is provided by drivers of public transport in Chiapas." I wonder if JR's PI has since discounted that, not finding any evidence to support that she moved on to Chiapas.

That is really interesting. I guess the PI must have discounted Chiapas buses once the witnesses at Lagunas Crossing "came forward."

In the same article, under the subheading "The Mystery Phone", it talks about how she communicated with JR, which we knew, but it still strikes me as extremely odd. Why would she not give him her cell number? Did her friends and family in China have her number? Did she text anyone?

Al llegar a territorio mexicano, la mujer que trabajó como cajera y luego se tomó un año sabático, compró un teléfono celular, pero no le dio el número a su esposo y únicamente se comunicaba con él vía redes sociales cuando encontraba conexiones wi-fi.

Google translates:
"Arriving in Mexican territory, the woman who worked as a cashier and then took a year, bought a cell phone, but did not give the number to her husband and only communicated with him via social networks when found wi-fi."

That is really interesting. I guess the PI must have discounted Chiapas buses once the witnesses at Lagunas Crossing "came forward."

In the same article, under the subheading "The Mystery Phone", it talks about how she communicated with JR, which we knew, but it still strikes me as extremely odd. Why would she not give him her cell number? Did her friends and family in China have her number? Did she text anyone?

Al llegar a territorio mexicano, la mujer que trabajó como cajera y luego se tomó un año sabático, compró un teléfono celular, pero no le dio el número a su esposo y únicamente se comunicaba con él vía redes sociales cuando encontraba conexiones wi-fi.

Google translates:
"Arriving in Mexican territory, the woman who worked as a cashier and then took a year, bought a cell phone, but did not give the number to her husband and only communicated with him via social networks when found wi-fi."

Well if she did send him a text stating that she will not have reception for some days; Then Jr should have the number.

But no mention of a subpoena to see if that phone called anyone else after the 12th.

Hmmm. Plus paying the person for their time of the actual driving would be even more expensive.

So why would Jenny agree to that. Maybe she did at first but was headstrong on hitchhiking.

I see they have planes from Oaxaca to Cancun as well and the flight is 4hrs and change. But I think its Oaxaca city or something. Idk.

But you are right. The bus would have been cheaper and easier.

I'm just surprised that the shopkeeper found a friend that was willing to drive a hitchhiker 20 hrs one way and then 20 hrs back.

Thats like driving from California to Philadelphia and back. Lol.
BBM

I imagine the shopkeeper might have felt sorry for Jenny because she apparently had no money and couldn't access an ATM in that area (we had a long discussion earlier about why she didn't get money in Oaxaca, or if she did, what happened to it). I suppose the friend could have been going to Cancun anyway, but that isn't how it read to me. I guess some people are more willing to do that kind of favor than I would be!

From her weibo post, Jenny was clearly planning to hitchhike. Jenny had money in her account, but she was trying to do this trip without spending much. I doubt she really wanted a ride with someone who might expect help with gas, so when the "free ride" was late, she stuck out her thumb.

That's assuming that any of this is true.

Well if she did send him a text stating that she will not have reception for some days; Then Jr should have the number.

But know mention of a subpoena to see if that phone called anyone else after the 12th.

I don't think we know if she sent him a text or messaged him on FB or sent an email using wifi to let him know she'd be out of touch. I'm not sure he ever found out the number so that call records could be subpoenaed.

The whole phone thing just boggles my mind. I've been known to get upset with my husband if he forgets to take his phone with him and is unreachable. Last week he got almost all the way across town to a highschool football game before he realized he'd forgotten his phone. He came all the way home (maybe a mile) and got it. I guess he's trained. :D But leave the country without giving me a way to reach him...not on your life! (What did we do in the old days before cell phones?!!)

Maybe it was another penny-pinching Jenny thing? Cheap phone, few minutes, no international coverage. Still very strange IMO.

I don't think we know if she sent him a text or messaged him on FB or sent an email using wifi to let him know she'd be out of touch. I'm not sure he ever found out the number so that call records could be subpoenaed.

The whole phone thing just boggles my mind. I've been known to get upset with my husband if he forgets to take his phone with him and is unreachable. Last week he got almost all the way across town to a highschool football game before he realized he'd forgotten his phone. He came all the way home (maybe a mile) and got it. I guess he's trained. :D But leave the country without giving me a way to reach him...not on your life! (What did we do in the old days before cell phones?!!)

Maybe it was another penny-pinching Jenny thing? Cheap phone, few minutes, no international coverage. Still very strange IMO.

Youre right. Jenny does seem like she didn't really want to be in contact with him.

https://www.couchsurfing.com/people/jenny-poo

As she seemed like she was starting a new life.

So I guess this is still why I can't throw Corona under the bus just yet.

I agree completely.

Questioning JR's actions is a reasonable thing to do, as far as I'm concerned. In cases such as this, the first person of interest for investigators is often the spouse.
The fact is, all eyes and energy have been solely focused on Corona drivers and irrelevant driver logs.

I would like like to know where JR was for every hour of his days for the week leading up to Jenny's disappearance until a week after she was reported missing.

Also, is the timeline in which he reported her missing true to what we know. I seem to recall a discrepancy in his report in Cancun vs. her timeline in Mexico. Is there a current timeline of JRs activities?

I am very tech unsavvy, so maybe some of you will help me understand the bits of info I have collected regarding Jenny and her phone.

A while back, I had gone back on the HFJ page to see what was written about Jenny's cell phone.

Under JR's 4/23 at 4:30am post is where JR said: "She was was Wifi only, but had a sim card- not sure if that can help-T-Mobile"

CN says Jenny most likely got a Mexican SIM card, which would be a Telcel sim card. She states that if Jenny had gotten a sim card, that must mean she probably didn't have an international plan with her T-mobile account.

Under JR's 5/13 at 5:34 post, JR tried the "Find My iPhone" function, but reports it said all devices were offline. No locations can be shown because all devices are offline.

Now, I can't find it now, but I recall a screenshot of a cell phone where Jenny said she was going to hitchhike. To a friend, I think, it was? I thought I noted at the time that at the top corner it said "wechat". I wasn't and still am not familiar with that, but I think it may be the messaging app she used that is via wifi? I tried looking at the wechat website, but it's hard for this dinosaur to get how it works. I did see this on the faq:
"Will WeChat contacts see my phone number? No, your phone number will not be shown on WeChat."

Anyone familiar with WeChat or other similar messaging apps and how they work? I have followed another case here recently (Natsumi Kogawa, ended sadly, btw) and it seems she was using something called a LINE app. I am guessing it could be similar, not sure. Anyone with insights?

Idk. But you can make a call on a iPhone without wifi. Wifi is just internet.

But the iPhone tracker should have showed the last area that the phone registered being when the WiFi was on.

Btw. Unless the area has unprotected wifi like at a McDonald's. You will still need the security code to access the wifi.

Even if you are staying at a hotel with wifi. They still give you the security code to access it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member