Mexico - Kaleo Skye, 3 & Roxy Rain 10 mos, killed by dad, Rosarito, 10 Aug 2021 *arrest in CA*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I personally hope the kids were already gone by the time she made the first call. Because otherwise she will be torturing herself with what if’s. Poor woman!
I wonder what he did with the kids in the hotel room all day Sunday? How did he feed the 10 month old baby? Did he pack breast milk or formula in baby bottles and food, drinks and snacks for the three year old?
Pack diapers, changes of clothes? I haven’t seen any information about them going to a restaurant for meals.
Just so odd.
Aug 12, 2021
Neighbors of the California dad say they are 'sickened' by the news of the seemingly perfect family | Daily Mail Online

[...]

[RG], 82, lived near surf school owner Matthew Taylor Coleman, his wife [AC] and their two children Kaleo, three, and daughter Roxy, 10 months, in the beachtown of Santa Barbara, California.

[...]

'[Matthew] was never really the friendly type. When Matthew walked by my house with his kids, he seemed he was in another land, he never acknowledged me to say hi, he just looked straight ahead.'

The last time [RG] spoke with Matthew was just a few weeks ago. 'I brought a bag of avocados over to their house, Matthew answered the door and for the first time he was actually nice as I handed him the bag. He said thank you,' he said.

[...]

The family lived in a modest 3-bedroom, 2 bath, 1300 square foot home with a two-car garage built in 1956.

Located just blocks from Arroyo Burro Beach in Santa Barbara, the home is worth $1.4 million. They didn't own the home, according to neighbors, but rented it for $3,500/month.

One neighbor said the young couple have a middle aged man and his mother living in their garage. It was a condition of their rent from the owners, they said.

Another neighbor told DailyMail.com, '[AC] was the social one of the two, but I was wary of Matthew. He seemed a little too happy and disingenuous, fake nice almost.'

[...]

'[AC] nor Matthew ever spoke about their political beliefs or affiliations. We thought they were the all-American family, good looking couple, beautiful kids, they appeared to be loving. None of us neighbors had any thought something like this would happen. But then again you never know what goes on behind closed doors.'

[...]
Hmmm, I wonder what their annual income was from their surfing business? Perhaps the two people living in the garage were either of their parents? Odd.

I wonder what he did with the kids in the hotel room all day Sunday? How did he feed the 10 month old baby? Did he pack breast milk or formula in baby bottles and food, drinks and snacks for the three year old?
Pack diapers, changes of clothes? I haven’t seen any information about them going to a restaurant for meals.
Just so odd.

Hmmm, I wonder what their annual income was from their surfing business? Perhaps the two people living in the garage were either of their parents? Odd.

it sounds like maybe it was the owners relatives living in the garage. Maybe even the owners themselves. Wonder what the garage tenants have to say about the family.

As someone previously living in SB, it actually is not odd in Santa Barbara to have someone living in a portion of your house. Rents are so expensive there and the majority of the rentals you see have a strange arrangement (ie family living in another part of your house, you don't have kitchen access, etc.). I read and article that the owner and his mother were living in the garage and that was an arrangement as part of their rent. It is pretty hard to find a rental as close to the beach as theirs is, so that isn't odd to me.

And yes, that is a high rent amount as it is for the amount I'd think they'd make from the surfing business. Especially when hit by the pandemic.

And I think she is more involved then she’s admitting.
Her 1st call to LE claiming he took the kids without telling her where he was going, forgot a car seat, and she’s not able to reach him by phone, but not to come over because “she’s not in danger and that he wouldn’t hurt the kids.” That to me is odd. Why would you even say that? You either KNOW your husband and kids are alright together and will be back OR you SUSPECT something could be very wrong.
I don’t know what time of day she called LE on 8/7 and 8/8, but if they weren’t home by nighttime, I’d have them at my house starting an investigation. JMO
Here's my thought on that - AC probably was alarmed when he left and took the kids. But I don't think she could ever imagine what was actually to come.

They own a business which works with kids, also I think they operate a a non-profit which works with troubled youth. On the first call made, she likely talked herself out of asking for help. At that point I don't think she knew he was headed to/in Mexico. If the police get involved and he's simply at the beach in Ventura for the day - it could get embarrassing and have business impacts if people found out. Maybe she was trying to protect her husband and their family image?

I'm not second guessing what she did or did not do, just offering a possibility. She's living a nightmare and I could not imagine being in her shoes :(

As someone previously living in SB, it actually is not odd in Santa Barbara to have someone living in a portion of your house. Rents are so expensive there and the majority of the rentals you see have a strange arrangement (ie family living in another part of your house, you don't have kitchen access, etc.). I read and article that the owner and his mother were living in the garage and that was an arrangement as part of their rent. It is pretty hard to find a rental as close to the beach as theirs is, so that isn't odd to me.

And yes, that is a high rent amount as it is for the amount I'd think they'd make from the surfing business. Especially when hit by the pandemic.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/548-Alan-Rd-Santa-Barbara-CA-93109/15896512_zpid/

“3BR/1BA house boasts hardwood and tile floors throughout, a functional kitchen, spacious bath, fireplace, and includes a washer/dryer. The private, fenced-in yard provides the perfect space for entertaining as well as pets of all sizes. A 6x8 storage shed is also included. Don't miss this special home just a minutes walk away from the beach! Attached is a large 1BR/1BA guest unit with a full kitchen and 3/4 bath. This unit can be rented separately for $1,800/month OR the entire property can be rented together for a discounted price of $4,600.”

• Total interior livable area: 975 sqft
So a middle aged man and his mother live in the 1 bedroom garage?
$1.4m for 975 square feet and one parking spot.
Wonder if money was behind the snap?

There is NOTHING the poor woman could do to protect her kids even if she was aware of his ideas. Before he did something harmful he would be granted some custody if they divorced. I doubt she could have had a chance to take kids away. And his first known mistreatment of them was the murder.

Plus the family van was a Mercedes Sprinter. (They might even have another vehicle.) Mercedes Sprinters are expensive, but perhaps they used it for the business and it was a write-off. I imagine in the summer months the surf school would bring in more income, but I still can't imagine how they managed to afford their life style. What a wonderful life at the beach, surfing, being able to raise your young children. That far gone that not one thought about throwing it all away and stopping yourself from making the worst, most terrible mistake ever?

We don't know if his wife had a clear idea he was acting off lately. I keep thinking about this poor mother left in shock to have to bury her children. It was sudden. No way did she see this coming, or sense this horrifying outcome. One minute she was cuddling her kids, maybe even feeling happily married for all we know,, but now it's all turned to something she'll have to try not to think about for the rest of her life. Keeping her in my thoughts and prayers.

A Theory About Conspiracy Theories
Sept. 28, 2020

>>>snip
More than 1 in 3 Americans believe that the Chinese government engineered the coronavirus as a weapon, and another third are convinced that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has exaggerated the threat of Covid-19 to undermine President Trump.

In the most comprehensive analysis to date of people who are prone to conspiracy beliefs, a research team in Atlanta sketched out several personality profiles that appear to be distinct. One is familiar: the injustice collector, impulsive and overconfident, who is eager to expose naïveté in everyone but him- or herself. Another is less so: a more solitary, anxious figure, moody and detached, perhaps including many who are older and living alone. The analysis also found, at the extremes, an element of real pathology — of a “personality disorder,” in the jargon of psychiatry...

...— a pattern of thinking called “psychoticism.”

Psychoticism is a core feature of so-called schizo-typal personality disorder, characterized in part by “odd beliefs and magical thinking” and “paranoid ideation.” In the language of psychiatry, it is a milder form of full-blown psychosis, the recurrent delusional state that characterizes schizophrenia. It’s a pattern of magical thinking that goes well beyond garden variety superstition and usually comes across socially as disjointed, uncanny or “off...”
<<<
(article continues)

He is confused. The thing about the reptilians, is, we're supposed to forgive them, to love them, as they are really just another, if wayward, part of The One. As are we all, including politicians and movie stars. Yes, we should unmask them, but they play an essential role in the eternal struggle between light and dark. They are yin to our yang, necessary and beloved, and only love can heal them. Trust that the universe knows what it is doing, and soon our understanding of the Truth will be complete.

The murder of innocent children only strengthens reptilians.
I'm serious. I read the book. Books. I never drank the kool-aid. It's nonsense, of course, IMO. But no less real for that.

Thanks, @coastal. I've kept my head in the sand on Anon for years but the news crept closer during COVID -- especially among the many who are older and living alone. I can't unsee those children, believed to be safe with daddy. :eek:

It really is a terrible thing.
I wondered if new fathers could suffer from postpartum depression, and if so, from postpartum psychosis. They can. I found a couple of studies which suggest +/- 4% may experience symptoms of depression, anxiety, and increased stress for up to 18 months after the birth of a child. I couldn't find numbers for PP psychosis in men, but here is one such patient:

Reminder of important clinical lesson: A father with postpartum psychosis

A father with postpartum psychosis

Reminder of important clinical lesson: A father with postpartum psychosis

>>>snip

...A 28-year-old Caucasian male presented to the emergency department for evaluation 5 days after the birth of his male child. The patient was very concerned about the well being of his child and was afraid that something bad would happen to the child...

...The patient had delusions of reference where he mentioned getting religious messages through the newspaper that bad spirits were trying to harm his baby. He wanted to protect his baby from such spirits and believed God had given him special powers to do so. He mentions his mood was good and he was just worried about his child. He denied any auditory and visual hallucination. The family mentioned that the patient was doing well till a day ago, when his wife returned home with the new born child. There was no previous psychiatric or medical illness in the patient. ..

...He was alert and aware of his surroundings. His speech was pressured and mild motor aggression was evident. He appeared very concerned about his child’s safety. The remaining physical examination including a complete neurological examination was within normal limit...

....His symptoms started to show response on the current medication regimen by the 2nd day of hospitalisation and the patient was back to his normal level of functioning by day 6 of hospitalisation. The patient was discharged after a week of hospital stay and was followed as an outpatient. Over the next 2 weeks his lithium was increased to 900 mg twice daily to achieve a therapeutic level of 0.82 mEq/l. The patient has been continued on therapeutic dose of lithium and has not had a relapse of the symptoms, 3 months after the initial episode...

(abstract at link)

<<<snip

IMO, MC could have had a psychotic episode brought on by postpartum depression.
Mind = blown.

Just some of my own thoughts as I still am struggling to process this.
It's a gender reveal party on the beach with other families and lots of children there. She cuts the cake and sees the results, and jumps up and down happy it's going to be a baby girl. A little girl sees her happy and start jumping with her, other kids are taking in this happy event. Think of all the church members and their children, and the many children in his classes, all his children's cousins and little playmates... he didn't think of any of them either. What are parents going to tell their children? No more surf lessons from that teacher.

Who appointed him some kind of savior to save the world from imagined monsters anyways? I can not believe his madness did not allow any second thoughts, or any thought, but I don't see a logical plan either.

He was going to come back across the border, go back up to Santa Barbara and do...

This kind of sorrow spreads beyond acquaintances over to complete strangers trying to process an inexplicable thing. Look at how we all feel with this terrible news, almost like we need to heal. It's going to be even harder for all the people who knew the family.

Just my own thoughts and opinions here.

Wow, no. He couldn't even think of a less painful way to murder those poor angels? Seriously? He knew what he was doing and that's how he chose to do it, he knew they would suffer terribly and he still went for it.

You have to have some issues to believe the garbage he believes but he even admitted he knew what he did was "wrong". What was his plan? Kill his children and come back home like nothing happened? Was he coming back to murder his poor wife too?

I think his wife reported them missing so quickly because she might have assumed that they were robbed or kidnapped by someone else since his phone was in Mexico. Poor lady.

Also, I don't really doubt she didn't see any red flags. I'm assuming they are both religious, maybe she related to the way he felt his spirituality and didn't find it odd. He seemed very passionate about her, the kids and their life together. And if he thought she was the reason their children had serpent DNA, then it makes total sense to never bring it up to her.

"The conversations were pretty typical," says a friend who would regularly work out with Coleman. "Feedings, diapers, the basic stuff you'd expect of a guy with a newborn and a toddler. But he was so happy, so excited about his family."

But as 2021 progressed, the conversations changed. "He'd tell me about stuff he read online," says the friend. "Conspiracies. But he'd present it like, 'I read something really crazy. Isn't that ridiculous?'"

"But then," the friend continues, "he'd start adding things like, 'yeah, but when you think about it, it all makes a lot of sense.' It was like he was starting to believe them. And he spent a lot of time looking at these conspiracies. He devoted a lot of brain power to them. It became clear to me that he believed some weird stuff."

[...]

But the friend tells PEOPLE that he never dreamed that Coleman's beliefs would lead to violence.

"I need to be clear about something," says the friend. "He never said anything that led me to believe that he was a danger to himself or anyone else. We're all pretty conservative, and this was not just conservative political talk. This was just out there. Stuff that made zero sense to me."

Dad Accused of Killing Kids with Spear Gun Over QAnon Theories 'Believed Some Weird Stuff,' Says Friend

SBM for focus... I saw something about that on the company page, under the "Surf Therapy" tab. According to their website, they worked with two non-profits to use surfing to "heal and empower" human trafficking survivors. Surf Therapy | Lovewater Surf School
Thanks again for finding this. I knew I saw something about human trafficking. It's a therapy program to help survivors heal through surfing. The program was put together partnering with a couple of nonprofit organizations. He worked in non-profits before and I think he must've known the in and outs of funding and getting donations. If you go over to the team page, you see just how many people and children are going to be affected by this tragic senseless event. Sounds like he's been spearfishing, as well as surfing, all his life. Well, not any more.

MOO, there must be some unhappiness, depression, or deep dissatisfaction within him to always be searching for more enlightenment, more freedom, more anointment, whatever. It triggered a disconnect when he started feeding himself a steady diet of conspiracy theories. MOO, he was gorging on it towards the end, and feeling less connected with his life. (He ate the apple.)

..."But then," the friend continues, "he'd start adding things like, 'yeah, but when you think about it, it all makes a lot of sense.' It was like he was starting to believe them. And he spent a lot of time looking at these conspiracies. He devoted a lot of brain power to them. It became clear to me that he believed some weird stuff."
Dad Accused of Killing Kids with Spear Gun 'Believed Some Weird Stuff' | PEOPLE.com

Thank You for sharing the article and pin pointing pertinent info.
It confirms that he was pouring over those conspiracy theories more and more, and his friends did notice. It probably was getting uncomfortable to listen to him as his wife, family, or friends. However, no blame to anyone else for not imagining it would come to this tragedy.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/548-Alan-Rd-Santa-Barbara-CA-93109/15896512_zpid/

“3BR/1BA house boasts hardwood and tile floors throughout, a functional kitchen, spacious bath, fireplace, and includes a washer/dryer. The private, fenced-in yard provides the perfect space for entertaining as well as pets of all sizes. A 6x8 storage shed is also included. Don't miss this special home just a minutes walk away from the beach! Attached is a large 1BR/1BA guest unit with a full kitchen and 3/4 bath. This unit can be rented separately for $1,800/month OR the entire property can be rented together for a discounted price of $4,600.”

• Total interior livable area: 975 sqft
So a middle aged man and his mother live in the 1 bedroom garage?
$1.4m for 975 square feet and one parking spot.
Wonder if money was behind the snap?

And i thought housing prices in Colorado are bad.... WOW!

And I think she is more involved then she’s admitting.
Her 1st call to LE claiming he took the kids without telling her where he was going, forgot a car seat, and she’s not able to reach him by phone, but not to come over because “she’s not in danger and that he wouldn’t hurt the kids.” That to me is odd. Why would you even say that? You either KNOW your husband and kids are alright together and will be back OR you SUSPECT something could be very wrong.
I don’t know what time of day she called LE on 8/7 and 8/8, but if they weren’t home by nighttime, I’d have them at my house starting an investigation. JMO

I totally agree that she knew (unconsciously, perhaps, or consciously) that something was seriously amiss when her husband left the house with the kids and didn't give her any indication whatsoever where he was going, or for what purpose. It is not clear to me if she saw him leave with the kids, though I gather she did not. So she calls the police at 7 pm that first day, and says she’s not able to contact him, he has the kids, and she’s not worried about their safety (I wonder if she is asked by LE what her rationale is for calling, given that she basically says there’s no reason for concern…).
Then a full 24 hours pass, and she makes an official missing persons report, at which time the police suggest using Find My iPhone to locate him (it is truly unfortunate that she does not have that suggested to her earlier since that would have given LE the opportunity to alert Mexican LE to be on the lookout for the trio). The last known location was in Rosarito and was from 2:30 that afternoon, so either his phone was deliberately turned off or just ran out of battery. If he turned it off, it suggests, IMO, that he at least had the presence of mind to try to avoid being tracked. The children are murdered early in the morning on the third day, and MC’s phone is turned back on by 1 pm when it reports a new location right around the Mexico/US border outside of San Diego. So in the 7 or so hours between when the official missing persons report is made (7-8 pm) and when Coleman leaves the hotel with the children (3 am) there was nothing done to try to further pinpoint his location? I’m surprised that there was evidently not enough detailed info about his location (via Find My iPhone) to allow US law enforcement to identify the name and phone number of the establishment where he was staying in Rosarito—folks in my family use that feature all the time to keep tabs on the comings and goings of their teenage child who lives in a large metropolitan area in the US, and the location info provided has always been very detailed (down to the block of the street she is on)—but perhaps Rosarito is so rural that location accuracy is more limited there? Regardless of what she suspected or didn’t suspect, though, the children’s mother is certainly not to blame for her husband’s evil actions and I hope she has the support she needs to grapple with her awful losses.
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/timeline-of-events-santa-barbara-man-accused-of-killing-his-kids-in-mexico/2692177/%3famp

Last edited:
So she calls the police at 7 pm that first day, and says she’s not able to contact him, he has the kids, and she’s not worried about their safety (I wonder if she is asked by LE what her rationale is for calling, given that she basically says there’s no reason for concern…).
^^rsbm

Reportedly, MC wasn't answering her calls or calls from family. I believe she thought that MC might answer an incoming call that was identified as coming from LE. Basically a welfare check and where LE could ask him to call home.

I really want to know why he chose Mexico...Was it the Christian camp? Normally I would think because it was part of his plan/intent to commit a crime.

I also want to go back to the box/Car seat...I'm wondering if he stopped along the way to buy a car seat, and that's why we see he has one in Mexico. If he did, why?
I think the baby girl was in the car seat and the 3yr old son was just in a seatbelt,

I think the baby girl was in the car seat and the 3yr old son was just in a seatbelt,
Huh? FBI impounded the Sprinter and I don't recall any car seat(s) recovered. According to the criminal complaint, MC alleges he did not have a car seat, and placed his 10-month old daughter, RC, inside a box (pg 7/10).

...Then a full 24 hours pass, and she makes an official missing persons report, at which time the police suggest using Find My iPhone to locate him (it is truly unfortunate that she does not have that suggested to her earlier since that would have given LE the opportunity to alert Mexican LE to be on the lookout for the trio).
You're right, she acted pretty fast, and it's too bad the phone location app wasn't suggested sooner.

They were suppose to all go camping together, so it must've struck her as strange right away, but she tried to hold it together, and I guess, not over react. She may have had a sixth sense something was seriously wrong, I honestly don't know how she contained herself that long, but by 24 hrs. she must've felt panic, anybody would. It was just off in timing and too late. How I wish the timing and the forces had been able to all work towards saving those beautiful children.

Timeline of Santa Barbara Man Accused of Killing His Kids in Mexico – NBC 7 San Diego (nbcsandiego.com)
"Coleman made his first court appearance at the U.S. District Court in downtown Los Angeles. He was ordered detained by a federal judge and is in custody. He is scheduled to be arraigned on charges on Aug. 31."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake12
Back