Mexico - Shanquella Robinson, 25, American, Beaten to death in apparent “femicide”, San Jose del Cabo, 28 Oct 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is horrifying. Poor Shanquella and her family.

I'm curious about the potential charge of femicide. My google skills tell me that femicide = killing because the victim is female. I haven't read anything about the reasoning for that line of investigation. As far as I have read, the individuals most directly responsible for her death were all women. The 2 male "friends" seem to have been onlookers in the attacks. So they are considering that these women attacked and eventually killed Shanquella because she was a woman...? Any insight?

(I realize that this investigative avenue comes from Mexico, but I don't think the qualifications for "femicide" would be that different amongst different countries, IMO)
I had to look this up because I had never heard the term femicide. I wonder how this applies to Shanquella.

What are 'femicides' and why are they on the rise across Mexico?

The crime of femicide is committed by a person who deprives a woman of life for reasons of gender. It is considered that there are gender reasons when any of the following circumstances occur:
  1. The victim presents signs of sexual violence of any kind
  2. Inflammatory or degrading injuries or mutilations, before or after the deprivation of life or acts of necrophilia, have been inflicted on the victim
  3. There are antecedents or data of any type of violence in the family, work or school environment of the perpetrator against the victim
  4. There has been a sentimental, emotional or trust relationship between the asset and the victim
  5. There are data that establish that there were threats related to the criminal act, harassment or injuries of the perpetrator against the victim
  6. The victim has been held incommunicado, whatever the time prior to the deprivation of life
  7. The victim’s body is exposed or displayed in a public place

I had to look this up because I had never heard the term femicide. I wonder how this applies to Shanquella.

The crime of femicide is committed by a person who deprives a woman of life for reasons of gender. It is considered that there are gender reasons when any of the following circumstances occur:
  2. Inflammatory or degrading injuries or mutilations, before or after the deprivation of life or acts of necrophilia, have been inflicted on the victim
  3. There are antecedents or data of any type of violence in the family, work or school environment of the perpetrator against the victim
  4. There has been a sentimental, emotional or trust relationship between the asset and the victim
  5. There are data that establish that there were threats related to the criminal act, harassment or injuries of the perpetrator against the victim
  6. The victim has been held incommunicado, whatever the time prior to the deprivation of life
1, 4, 6 and 7 IMO
1. Sexual violence could be ascertained by the video of her being beaten while nude.
4. Shanquella trusted those friends enough to bring them with her to another country.
6. They wouldn't let the doctor take her to a hospital even though it was deemed necessary.
7. They allegedly posted videos of the crime to social media.

JMO!

Thank you for posting the criteria. Reading through them, I see a lot of...maybes. Like, maybe #2? Maybe #4? Maybe #6? Maybe #7, because of the video? But nothing seems completely obvious to me.

I shared links and information earlier that went poof because I tied in references to rumors, but I think it's important that this has a place in this thread: femicide is a function of the victim's gender and not the perpetrator's.

In the video of her being beaten, Robinson is naked. The woman assaulting her appears to me to be in some sort of lingerie. Maybe its a swimsuit but appears to be lingerie to me. So I wondered if there was some sort of sexual aspect to this.
It seemed to me that maybe Shanquella was sleeping in the nude and the other woman confronted her while she was in the bed. The other woman had a cloth bonnet on her head which is usually only worn to sleep in. Maybe the woman was angry with Shanquella over something that happened the night before and she woke up ready to fight about it?

In the video of her being beaten, Robinson is naked. The woman assaulting her appears to me to be in some sort of lingerie. Maybe its a swimsuit but appears to be lingerie to me. So I wondered if there was some sort of sexual aspect to this.

I think they wanted to humiliate her. It's been suggested that they were supposed to be skinny dipping and they all told Shanquella they were going to get undressed.
To me, I don't think they had necessarily planned to kill her, but to humiliate her. Tricking her into being naked and then beating her on camera. I wouldn't like to speculate as to what end or why, I can't imagine because I am not a despicable excuse for a human :(.
MOO.

It's not my realm but does this border on medical malpractice - hippocratic oath? the doctor said she needed to go to the hospital. The people with her said no, so she never got there? Should doc have called LE? Just curious about all the ways she was failed. 4 hours? Where is the outrage? (We are outraged, yes, but this should be bigger news IMO)

Wow, there's a lot of details in this article I haven't heard before. First off, the "friends" called a doctor. The doctor assumed Shanquella was drunk but suggested she go to the hospital. The "friends" refused until Shanquella had a seizure. How long before the ambulance showed up and why didn't they take her to the hospital ? Was it too late ?
CPR at 4:49pm, police at 5:25 and death at 5:57. I don't think this is standard procedure for reviving someone with CPR unless she was going in and out. Who called the police and why ?
We are relying on a Mexican police report To be accurate about an American Citizen death?

I think they wanted to humiliate her. It's been suggested that they were supposed to be skinny dipping and they all told Shanquella they were going to get undressed.
To me, I don't think they had necessarily planned to kill her, but to humiliate her. Tricking her into being naked and then beating her on camera. I wouldn't like to speculate as to what end or why, I can't imagine because I am not a despicable excuse for a human :(.
MOO.
I kinda thought the same as well. Or they caught her mid changing or getting out of the shower but the main goal was the catch her and humiliate her. But I still cannot figure out why except for jealousy. But why did her best friend allow it? Unless they were all scared or intimidated by one person... but which one? I feel like in this situation they just need to find the weakest link. Probably the one who leaked the videos in the first place.

Yep... I think she was in bed.
Well, the second video that’s been released has Shanquella behind the camera, asking her “friends” what’s taking so long for them to get naked. They plotted this. When she walked into the room, they immediately stopped talking. This was before they beat her to death.

It's not my realm but does this border on medical malpractice - hippocratic oath? the doctor said she needed to go to the hospital. The people with her said no, so she never got there? Should doc have called LE? Just curious about all the ways she was failed. 4 hours? Where is the outrage? (We are outraged, yes, but this should be bigger news IMO)
This is Mexico.

Well, the second video that’s been released has Shanquella behind the camera, asking her “friends” what’s taking so long for them to get naked. They plotted this. When she walked into the room, they immediately stopped talking. This was before they beat her to death.

I saw this video a couple of days ago on the mom's FB page for justice. I do think this explains why she was naked.

This part of the DM article is good news for her family!

Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving recently donated $65,000 to help pay for expenses and legal fees for Shanquella's family.

Shanquella's body was flown back to Charlotte on November 17 and a funeral service was held Saturday.

The event was attended by both loved ones and activists who were there to put 'pressure' on the system, according to WBTV.

'We came to ensure there is enough people putting pressure on the entire system to do what is necessary to get justice for this woman,' said Tamika Mallory, an activist who attended the woman's funeral.

This is Mexico. They get conflicting reports about a tourist in distress. Happens a thousand times a day there.
Oh yes, I do agree. But, why hasn't the U.S. done anything....? They were all U.S. citizens I believe. I'll admit, I am not sure how that works, when it happens in another country, I am hoping that there is some legal action that the U.S. is able to do? Seeing as there is proof (the videos).

A journalist with the “Austin Weekly News” wrote her Thanksgiving column on Shanquella’s murder:

“Black folks have really gotten into traveling. And the ages they are going on cruises and traveling to foreign countries is younger than ever. Seven people went on vacay to Cabo, Mexico to celebrate one of their birthdays on Friday, Oct. 28: three men, Khalil Cooke, Nazeer Wiggins, Malik Dyer, and four women, Alyese Hyatt, Wenter Donovan, Daejhanae Jackson, and Shanquella Robinson. Less than 24 hours later, Shanquella, 25, was dead, and the six “friends” returned home to Charlotte, North Carolina earlier than originally planned, leaving her body in Mexico.

Shanquella’s mom was given her daughter’s luggage and varying accounts of the alleged reasons why her daughter is dead. One consistent theme among the group was that the cause is alleged to have been from alcohol poisoning, which even the Mexican authorities initially claimed as well. Not buying their stories, Mrs. Robinson had the body returned and a private autopsy performed. The report found that Shanquella suffered from a spinal cord injury as well as a broken neck.”

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back