GUILTY MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* *teen guilty* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How often do these types of defendants show emotion, remorse, shame or anything along those lines during victim impact statements, though?

I'm thinking of the recent cases of Lucy Letby - who refused to attend during impact statements - and Kaitlin Armstrong, who mostly just looked straight ahead, I believe.

In other words, this is no surprise, and at least he isn't faking anything. JMO.

How often do these types of defendants show emotion, remorse, shame or anything along those lines during victim impact statements, though?

I'm thinking of the recent cases of Lucy Letby - who refused to attend during impact statements - and Kaitlin Armstrong, who mostly just looked straight ahead, I believe.

In other words, this is no surprise, and at least he isn't faking anything. JMO.
I don't think I've ever seen folks satisfied with how any defendant has acted during their trial/sentencing. People were outraged at Alex Murdaugh for recently speaking to his victims in court. I'm willing to bet there would have been as much outrage had he chosen to remain silent.

I don't think I've ever seen folks satisfied with how any defendant has acted during their trial/sentencing. People were outraged at Alex Murdaugh for recently speaking to his victims in court. I'm willing to bet there would have been as much outrage had he chosen to remain silent.

Also, teenage defendant's often display feelings differently than adults. So I don't think today's behavior alone provides an adequate assessment, and comparing him to adult defendants is not likely helpful, IMO.

Also, teenage defendant's often display feelings differently than adults.

That is interesting. Would you mind elaborating on your opinion about this topic? Is this just something you've noticed from watching trial footage or have you observed this professionally? What have you noticed?

I understand the sentence. I just wish that we could identify how to help kids like this, before they make life altering decisions.

Our prison complex is becoming a main part of our economy. We spend 100x more on a criminal after they do a crime, than we do on preventative measures, education, support, intensive case management, counseling.

That is interesting. Would you mind elaborating on your opinion about this topic? Is this just something you've noticed from watching trial footage or have you observed this professionally? What have you noticed?

There is a lot of literature that indicates that teenagers are still develping emotion regulation skills and that teens lack the full capacity to process death like mature adults. I have observed this both professionally and also personally when teens are having to deal with grieving for a loss. They also have limited experience with loss/death. There is a lot of literature on the latter.

With regard to evaluating remorse, here is one article in the Missouri Law Review that examines the assessment of "remorse" in criminals and says that -

"Teenagers may similarly put up a defensive front and try to appear “tough,” “alien,” and “mean” to be accepted by peers, even if this does not express their genuine emotions. Youth culture can be at odds with or even categorically opposed to
expressions of remorse."

Another analysis of juvenile remorse is the 2002 Columbia Law Review article by Martha Duncan called "So Young and So Untender: Remorseless Children and the Expectations of the Law."

JMO.

The shooter sits with his head down so that no one can see his face. He will not look at those who are speaking. EC shows absolutely no signs of remorse for his actions. Disgusting! I hope he is sentenced to life in prison with no hope for parole. JMO
In my opinion, sentencing the 3 of them to life in prison with no hope for parole would be best.

Victim impact statements have resumed.
In my opinion, sentencing the 3 of them to life in prison with no hope for parole would be best.
I'm not sure that either of Ethan's parents will be convicted, but I doubt they would be sentenced to life in prison. I hope Judge Rowe will sentence Ethan to LWOP.

Victim impact statements have resumed.

I'm not sure that either of Ethan's parents will be convicted, but I doubt they would be sentenced to life in prison. I hope Judge Rowe is leaning towards LWOP for Ethan.

I agree, the parents will not be sentenced to anything like life in prison, nor should they be.

I hope that Ethan is not given LWOP, and that when he comes up for parole each time, if more than once, that he is given a proper and thorough assessment by the parole board with professionals weighing in with their reports, etc. I think that is the right approach for a juvenile who is tried as an adult and incarcerated as an adult while still a juvenile.

Not sure the victim impact statements are for the defendant anyway. I think of them as for the judge to consider when sentencing.

And they are for the public to underscore that crimes impact more than just the immediate victims but hurt the community at large. They are a statement that as a society we condemn the acts.

That's my take anyway. I would guess the defendants "go numb" during the process and don't really listen, as harsh as that sounds.

jmopinion

I agree, the parents will not be sentenced to anything like life in prison, nor should they be.

I hope that Ethan is not given LWOP, and that when he comes up for parole each time, if more than once, that he is given a proper and thorough assessment by the parole board with professionals weighing in with their reports, etc. I think that is the right approach for a juvenile who is tried as an adult and incarcerated as an adult while still a juvenile.
...Although he was convicted of first-degree murder — a crime that would automatically make an offender eligible for life without parole — Crumbley's age led to a separate hearing to determine whether that sentence would be warranted.

Rowe determined that Crumbley didn’t show potential for rehabilitation and that his crimes didn’t bear “hallmarks of youth” and that he could therefore be sentenced to life without the possibility of parole...

Crumbley, who was 15 at the time of the shooting, pleaded guilty last year to 24 charges, including first-degree premeditated murder and terrorism causing death.

He faces life in prison without the possibility of parole after a judge ruled that the sentence was appropriate despite his age at the time of the shooting.

The charges of first-degree premeditated murder and terrorism causing death both carry a minimum sentence of 25 to 40 years.

Prosecutors have said there were no plea deals, reductions or agreements regarding sentencing.

@cathyrusson

"I am a really bad person. I have done terrible things.." Oxford High School shooter #EthanCrumbley speaks at his sentencing. He asks the judge to impose any sentence that the victim families want.

3:56 PM · Dec 8, 2023

BREAKING: Judge sentences Oxford High School shooter #EthanCrumbley to life without parole. Crumbley killed Hana St. Juliana, Justin Shillin, Tate Myre and Madisyn Baldwin plus wounding many others.

4:03 PM · Dec 8, 2023

The 17-year-old, who killed four Michigan schoolmates in a 2021 shooting that has also ensnared his parents, will likely die behind bars after a judge Friday sentenced him to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Oakland County Judge Kwamé Rowe imposed the maximum sentence against Ethan Crumbley, who was 15 when he opened fire Nov. 30, 2021, at Oxford High School.

Crumbley pleaded guilty to fatally shooting Madisyn Baldwin, 17; Tate Myre, 16; Hana St. Juliana, 14; and Justin Shilling, 17, and wounding seven other people.

Rowe called Crumbley's crimes "true acts of terrorism."...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandrz717