GUILTY MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* *teen guilty* #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kira testified during the preliminary hearing that later on 11-30 when messaging with JC she didn't want JC coming to the barn because she didn't want JC taking anything of hers or other peoples.
This was in addition to Kira's concerns for JC's safety due to social media comments about her.
Neither the state or the defense followed up on Kira's statement.
So JC bought a horse online for $5,000 while drunk,

Maybe it will be addressed today?
Kari just went there.
She was afraid that JC would steal things from the horse barn to get money.

Does anyone else find it bizarre that on 11-29 JC forwarded the gun/violent drawing that Ethan did in math class that was sent to her from the school to Kira, her boss Andrew Smith and co-worker Amanda?
OMG absolutely.

Does anyone else find it bizarre that on 11-29 JC forwarded the gun/violent drawing that Ethan did in math class that was sent to her from the school to Kira, her boss Andrew Smith and co-worker Amanda?
How can she explain, when she testifies, why she would do that? What context can that be put into to not make it seem very strange?

It's been a really long time since I followed this. Is there no more co-counsel for the defense? I remember there was 2 attorneys there.

More about Kira's testimony.

The farm owner said that she met the Crumbleys' son only once, and that Jennifer Crumbley mentioned him once in awhile, "called him weird" and referred to him as an "oopsie baby."

"There was not really much talk of her son," Pennock said, and what there was "was nothing truly positive."

The defense argued the "oopsie baby" comment was irrelevant. The prosecutor moved on.

More at link.

It's been a really long time since I followed this. Is there no more co-counsel for the defense? I remember there was 2 attorneys there.
Originally, the parents were going to be tried together and each had their own attorney. Could that be it?

BBM - right. It’s hard for me to accept that in this day and age with all the school shootings going on this counselor didn’t have alarm bells going off in his head after seeing the drawings. Sensitivity and empathy for Ethan cost 4 lives and untold trauma to many. A counselor is not the right person to make this call. It should be an administrator. JMO
I’m not denying the 4 dead, but rather offering some understanding. I agree a counselor is not the right person to make an institution to institution call.

A counselor is the right person to have empathy and sensitivity, IMO. And we presumably want that in our schools. But his/her higher up should have been on the phone as Ethan’s parents left the building.

There’s a difference between caring for a student and how they’re doing versus observing and drawing conclusions from how the child is being treated by a parent in the moment. One is empathy, the other is analytical.

Any way you look at this, DCF belonged in that child’s life.

In hindsight, it would have been a smart thing to do. Either could arrived and pulled him out of class that day and done some preliminary one on one questioning.
I'm guessing a law enforcement officer would have shown up quicker, and they are an intimidating presence to a 15 year old boy. He may have asked more probing questions, and he probably would have searched his backpack and locker. I mean we'll never know, of course, but having an officer question him further and search his property would would have been key. Honestly, with the bullet searching and the violent drawings on the math sheet....I can't believe the school didn't search. They may not have suspected he had a gun, but I would at least have expected them to search for other drawings to see if this is a new or one-time thing.
They didn’t even call the school district superintendent for direction, did they?

In Nov 2023 new evidence and witnesses were presented by the prosecution to the court/defense which led to the dissolving of the Crumbley's united legal front.
Which, IIRC, they were warned about at the very beginning of the case. Perhaps during the preliminary? Jennifer made comments in jail about James bearing responsibility.

From an older article, good refresher.

In documents filed Monday morning, lawyers for the Crumbleys asked the judge to "sever" the couple's upcoming trial on involuntary manslaughter charges, maintaining that new information has surfaced in the case that could be prejudicial to both. Specifically, records show, at least two prosecution witnesses from Florida have come forward with information that could harm one, or both, of the parents.

This development comes two weeks after the prosecution disclosed in a court filing that it has jail communications of Jennifer Crumbley "placing blame" on her husband for the shooting.

Which, IIRC, they were warned about at the very beginning of the case. Perhaps during the preliminary? Jennifer made comments in jail about James bearing responsibility.

From an older article, good refresher.

In documents filed Monday morning, lawyers for the Crumbleys asked the judge to "sever" the couple's upcoming trial on involuntary manslaughter charges, maintaining that new information has surfaced in the case that could be prejudicial to both. Specifically, records show, at least two prosecution witnesses from Florida have come forward with information that could harm one, or both, of the parents.

This development comes two weeks after the prosecution disclosed in a court filing that it has jail communications of Jennifer Crumbley "placing blame" on her husband for the shooting.

Lest we forget, it could be Michelle Cobb, James's ex- girlfriend who lives in Florida and has a son with him, Eli, who is now 18 and had lived with the family in Michigan for awhile.

James also has another Florida connection, a daughter with a woman who also lives in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pama_213