GUILTY MI - April Millsap, 14, Armada, 24 July 2014 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, all. I'm wondering how long these two were questioned overnight, and if any useful information was given. April's family and friends are in my thoughts.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-search-home-connection-murder-teen-phone-text/story?id=24779407

Early reports about Millsap's murder included claims from a relative that she had texted her boyfriend on July 24 saying "OMG. ... I think I'm being kidnapped." But Michigan State Police spokesman Lt. Michael Shaw told ABC News that the message was phrased differently and may not have come from April herself.

"We don't know who sent it," Shaw said, without revealing what time the text was sent.

Porter also told ABC News that the investigative team is "aware of a number of text messages that were sent from April's phone."

There was more than one?

July 31, 2014 at 10:45 am

Police: No suspects in custody in Armada girl's slaying

Detroit News staff and wire reports

Police say they don’t have any suspects in custody in the investigation of the slaying of a 14-year-old girl whose body was found in a wooded area in Armada.

State police Lt. Mike Shaw gave the update on the investigation into April Millsap’s death in an interview with WWJ-AM (950) on Thursday morning.

Shaw earlier said investigators had several warrants and searched a home Wednesday in St. Clair County’s Wales Township. He says two men were taken into custody on drug charges during the search.

There on Wednesday, neighbors watched all day as FBI agents executed a search warrant at a home in connection with the murder of the 14-year-old Armada girl...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140731/METRO03/307310087#ixzz393mE8Sz9

July 31, 2014 at 10:45 am

Police: No suspects in custody in Armada girl's slaying

Detroit News staff and wire reports

Police say they don’t have any suspects in custody in the investigation of the slaying of a 14-year-old girl whose body was found in a wooded area in Armada.

State police Lt. Mike Shaw gave the update on the investigation into April Millsap’s death in an interview with WWJ-AM (950) on Thursday morning.

Shaw earlier said investigators had several warrants and searched a home Wednesday in St. Clair County’s Wales Township. He says two men were taken into custody on drug charges during the search.

There on Wednesday, neighbors watched all day as FBI agents executed a search warrant at a home in connection with the murder of the 14-year-old Armada girl...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140731/METRO03/307310087#ixzz393mE8Sz9

Interesting. I think it's all in the wording though. We know they aren't being held in relation to April's murder.

ITA. "Technically" they haven't arrested anyone for the the murder of April

As with any criminal investigation, LE has much more information than is being released to the media. I'm confident that this case will be resolved rather quickly and the perp/s brought to justice.

I agree, lots of resources being used in this case. I would also like to believe since this all happened in a relatively short span that there has to be some evidence that can tie into a suspect at some point. I know of some things that have been done that have yet not been reported, they seem to be covering many bases. Many departments are involved and credit goes to Armada Police for working with these other resources. To often in cases we see departments not working together.

As with any criminal investigation, LE has much more information than is being released to the media. I'm confident that this case will be resolved rather quickly and the perp/s brought to justice.

I agree, lots of resources being used in this case. I would also like to believe since this all happened in a relatively short span that there has to be some evidence that can tie into a suspect at some point. I know of some things that have been done that have yet not been reported, they seem to be covering many bases. Many departments are involved and credit goes to Armada Police for working with these other resources. To often in cases we see departments not working together.

I agree with both of you ! :seeya:

Then there is also the fact that the father is a RSO, not uncommon in cases for police to check out RSO's nearby.

But they're not really nearby, wasn't the house about 20 miles out from where April's body was found? (I could be wrong, I think I noted that when I was looking at tlcya's map yesterday.)

Not defending these guys. I'm concerned that they only busted them on the pot. It's not what I'm used to in the cases I tend to follow. And it tells me they don't have any physical evidence tying them to April yet. Makes me feel like maybe they just sold pot to the perp, or something.

(I understand LE can employ certain tactics, and I understand that the pot charge is just a formality to get them into custody, but they wouldn't need that formality if they had something solid. So I'm disappointed.)

EDIT: After looking at twitter yesterday, I think the story has gone viral for two reasons:

1) The dog leading people to her body. :\

2) The scary text messages

Both of them make for very social-media-friendly headlines. I'm not complaining, national attention is always a good thing.

...Not defending these guys. I'm concerned that they only busted them on the pot. It's not what I'm used to in the cases I tend to follow. And it tells me they don't have any physical evidence tying them to April yet. Makes me feel like maybe they just sold pot to the perp, or something.

(I understand LE can employ certain tactics, and I understand that the pot charge is just a formality to get them into custody, but they wouldn't need that formality if they had something solid. So I'm disappointed.)

<respectfully snipped >

If these two POIs have "lawyered-up", LE won't be able to detain them interminably on the pot charges. They may have already been released for all we know. There wasn't an update on the case on WDIV news at noon, so there can't be anything major going on right now or we'd know about it. :moo:

I'm going to try to get some things done around the house this afternoon. Enjoy your day, 'sleuthers.

But they're not really nearby, wasn't the house about 20 miles out from where April's body was found? (I could be wrong, I think I noted that when I was looking at tlcya's map yesterday.)

Not defending these guys. I'm concerned that they only busted them on the pot. It's not what I'm used to in the cases I tend to follow. And it tells me they don't have any physical evidence tying them to April yet. Makes me feel like maybe they just sold pot to the perp, or something.

EDIT: After looking at twitter yesterday, I think the story has gone viral for two reasons:

1) The dog leading people to her body. :\

2) The scary text messages

Both of them make for very social-media-friendly headlines. I'm not complaining, national attention is always a good thing.

Armada is a very rural type area. I know it is "close" to Detroit, but the village proper's population is just over 1,500 people. I am imagining in that sort of setting, you would cast your net wider looking for likely suspects than you would say in a city of 10s of thousands. checking out RSO's is LE SOP and this one had a fellow occupant in the house reported to ride a motorcycle matching the description of the one being sought by LE.

MOO the RSO status did not prompt the search. A tip about the bike or info from the DMV did. I think the combined knowledge of RSO and knowledge that the possible motorcycle being all at that one address is what caused the raid.

Armada is a very rural type area. I know it is "close" to Detroit, but the village proper's population is just over 1,500 people. I am imagining in that sort of setting, you would cast your net wider looking for likely suspects than you would say in a city of 10s of thousands. checking out RSO's is LE SOP and this one had a fellow occupant in the house reported to ride a motorcycle matching the description of the one being sought by LE...

Armada isn't "close" to Detroit. It's about 30 miles north of the city. Armada is "rural": For many folks, it's a popular destination for fall apple-picking.

Armada is a very rural type area. I know it is "close" to Detroit, but the village proper's population is just over 1,500 people. I am imagining in that sort of setting, you would cast your net wider looking for likely suspects than you would say in a city of 10s of thousands. checking out RSO's is LE SOP and this one had a fellow occupant in the house reported to ride a motorcycle matching the description of the one being sought by LE.

MOO the RSO status did not prompt the search. A tip about the bike or info from the DMV did. I think the combined knowledge of RSO and knowledge that the possible motorcycle being all at that one address is what caused the raid.

Exactly this, that area up that way really has many RSO's for such a small country setting. If I was working a case(if I was LE), my search would extend that far, just knowing the area, the country setting and many RSO's in the surrounding areas. On top of that LE had a sketch and a blue and white motorcycle seen in the area. Someone may have come forward on the sketch and blue and white motorcycle to and given them the sons name.

Armada isn't "close" to Detroit. It's about 30 miles north of the city. Armada is "rural": For many folks, it's a popular destination for fall apple-picking.

That's why that word is in the quotes. Some might consider it close to such a large metropolitan area. I do not consider it so. It is not like its a suburb of the city, it is its own village. But I figured most people think Detroit or anything even remotely near it as very industrial and busy and big townish. Armada seems to be nothing like or related to Detroit. It is a very quiet seeming country, agricultural village setting.

ETA I live in central IL. and anything within 100 miles to Chicago is considered a suburb of that city by some. Its not so but close is a subjective term. Some might think a 20 30 minute drive is close. But Detroit and Armada are worlds apart IMO

That's why that word is in the quotes. Some might consider it close to such a large metropolitan area. I do not consider it so. It is not like its a suburb of the city, it is its own village. But I figured most people think Detroit or anything even remotely near it as very industrial and busy and big townish. Armada seems to be nothing like or related to Detroit. It is a very quiet seeming country, agricultural village setting.

ETA I live in central IL. and anything within 100 miles to Chicago is considered a suburb of that city by some. Its not so but close is a subjective term. Some might think a 20 30 minute drive is close. But Detroit and Armada are worlds apart IMO

I know Chicago well and understand exactly what you're saying. Same thing with Detroit and surrounding communities - sometimes referred to as "metro-Detroit". That said, the geographical area known as tri-county (Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties) has extremes that don't really seem like they are part of metro-Detroit. Technically, Armada is in Macomb County, but it's much more distant from Detroit and much less part of the metropolitan area than Sterling Heights or Warren that are in the southern end of the county.

Family preparing for funeral tomorrow. No arrest in the case yet. Brief update.

I think it's entirely possible that they're waiting for forensics or other test results to come back - getting all their ducks in a row, as suggested above by another poster - before charging. It simply seems too coincidental that the house was raided in connection with her murder, and the only thing they have 'em on, is weed: Instead, I think there's something more there.
I just hope they have it. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member