GUILTY MI - April Millsap, 14, Armada, 24 July 2014 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know why Michigan State Police were involved? See page one post 4.

Is there a highway near where her body was found?

state police often are involved in missing persons cases because they generally have more resources than a small local sheriff's department, there is also a greater likelihood in an abduction situation that the victim is taken across county lines. The FBI often also become involved early in such cases, especially where a minor is involved. Again because of the greater resources, the ability to get more boots on the ground and the possibility of intrastate travel by perp

BBM Perhaps the local PD asked them to assist or maybe a small township has some type of agreement with the state to assist in major crimes? The latter is not uncommon in small towns and counties throughout the U. S.

I'm hoping and praying that today brings a big break in this case.

"We all have to be aware the person may have changed their looks," said Armada Police Chief Howard Smith. "May have cut hair, changed hair color or grown facial hair."

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/26125039/person-of-interest-sought-in-april-millsap-murder

These words are almost exactly the same words used by LE in Jessica Ridgeway's case.

At this time, I'm leaning towards a classic child abduction/murder by a sick perv, and not a targeted attack. jmo

Link to rsos:
http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Armada-Michigan.html

(Well, that's a first, only 1 rso? Usually these maps light up like a Christmas tree)

Armada's police department is very small, things like this don't happen there on a regular basis. Besides Michigan state Police, the FBI and the Macomb County Sheriff's Department are also involved. Not uncommon in small towns in Michigan, for both the State Police and County Sheriff Department to be involved as they have far bigger resources. Armada has had their own department as far back as I can remember, good department but limited on staff and experience for a murder.

There are some communities that just contract with the Sheriff departments and have no department themselves. There are other communities that have a police department but they are staffed only during day shift and after that time you call Michigan State Police. I lived in one of these and we came home at 10 pm to discover our home was broken into and we had to call State Police. My experience for small crimes, it's better to have your own department dealing with it, but for severe crimes far better to have the State Police or Sheriff department dealing with it.

I'm curious about the dog being left unharmed (thankfully)... I would think the perp(s), if strangers, would be afraid the dog would bark or bite them if they tried to harm April, but if the perp(s) knew her and the dog, maybe they wouldn't be so worried about that. I am thinking, because she had her dog with her, that it MUST be someone known to her. I sure wouldn't try to attack someone who had a dog with them - the dog might cause commotion (bark/bite) and bring attention to what is going on. Really confused about the dog, but bless her heart for her loyalty to April. So sad.

Possibly SieSie. Not all dogs are fighters, some are just big old fuzzballs of love who are timid and shy. So not evry dog woudl attack or defend their owner IME.

But April's family suggesting that they think April knew her killer woudl line up with your thoughts as to why the dog did not apparently attack her killer and leave him a bloody mess.

Dogs can be unpredictable. My dogs who I thought would be protective once ran away, when I ran into a neighbor with a gun and a knife poaching in my woods. They came back after he left. This might have been the case here.

Possibly SieSie. Not all dogs are fighters, some are just big old fuzzballs of love who are timid and shy. So not evry dog woudl attack or defend their owner IME.

But April's family suggesting that they think April knew her killer woudl line up with your thoughts as to why the dog did not apparently attack her killer and leave him a bloody mess.

You're right, not all dogs would attack, but if it's a stranger, would they take that chance?? A stranger doesn't know if a dog would defend its owner, it just seems so risky. Even if the dog didn't "defend" (bite/attack), it might bark at the commotion and draw attention to what is going on. I'm just stumped about the dog. MOO.

...There are some communities that just contract with the Sheriff departments and have no department themselves. There are other communities that have a police department but they are staffed only during day shift and after that time you call Michigan State Police. I lived in one of these and we came home at 10 pm to discover our home was broken into and we had to call State Police. My experience for small crimes, it's better to have your own department dealing with it, but for severe crimes far better to have the State Police or Sheriff department dealing with it.

<respectfully snipped>
The Oakland County city where I live does not have a police department, but our neighboring communities do. We have our own fire department, but LE is the Oakland County Sheriff. The community where I lived previously has its own PD but a mostly-volunteer FD.

Attempted abduction in Armada of a 13 year old boy in Nov 2012:

Side by side in progress of suspect sketches: (This sketch is VERY familiar to me; I must have come across it in Jessica Heeringa's case.
View attachment 55782 View attachment 55783

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1586_1710-290052--,00.html

There are attempted abductions in surrounding areas of Armada that often don't get any media attention or very little. Sometimes a few words posted in the local papers that come out only once a week, sometimes a few lines in the Macomb Daily, sometimes nothing at all. My grandson has brought home flyers from school with attempted abduction warnings, sometimes with a sketch and I can never find any information on them when I have run a search. While not a regular thing that happens, usually once or twice a year he brings home a flyer. There was 2 attempts this past fall he brought home a flyer on, and I couldn't find them anywhere online, and I again looked today. Here is one I found that I remember him bringing home a flyer, I can't find this one anywhere on any local news outlets.

http://www.operationlookout.org/Lookout_Magazine/2010/02/teen-escapes-abduction-attempt/

Has anyone heard if they located her cell phone?

Who provided the sketch? A jogger?

My guess is there was more to the text to her boyfriend that they aren't releasing.

Investigation Timeline from Click on Detroit. A video timeline of news reports, not a written timeline. Still helpful to have in one location, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc