Found Deceased MI - Brendan Santo 18, visitor, Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, 29 Oct 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Brendan Santo's parents thank volunteers, investigators for search efforts (detroitnews.com)

In their first public statement since their son's body was found, the parents of Brendan Santo took to social media on the eve of his visitation to thank scores of supporters who searched for the Rochester Hills teen at Michigan State University.

In a Wednesday evening Facebook post, Brad and Wendy Santo also praised the private investigator credited with helping authorities find Brendan's body last Friday near the campus where he went missing last fall.

"We prayed the outcome would be different but finding him will allow our family and friends along with Brendan’s friends closure, so we can begin the healing process," the couple wrote.

The Santos posted the message ahead of a Thursday visitation. A private funeral and burial service is expected at a later date...

Brendan Santo's parents thank volunteers, investigators for search efforts (detroitnews.com)

In their first public statement since their son's body was found, the parents of Brendan Santo took to social media on the eve of his visitation to thank scores of supporters who searched for the Rochester Hills teen at Michigan State University.

In a Wednesday evening Facebook post, Brad and Wendy Santo also praised the private investigator credited with helping authorities find Brendan's body last Friday near the campus where he went missing last fall.

"We prayed the outcome would be different but finding him will allow our family and friends along with Brendan’s friends closure, so we can begin the healing process," the couple wrote.

The Santos posted the message ahead of a Thursday visitation. A private funeral and burial service is expected at a later date...

BetteDavisEyes*******
I know that Brendan Santo's visitation was 01/27/22,and I do not know if you are from the area where this happened,but I
have not seen any followup to this story,
so I am wondering if you know anything
about:
*Was his cellphone found?And if so,was
the charge completely drained or was the
cellphone damaged?
*What took them so long to look in the
area where he was eventually found?
*What position was his body found in?
Face down,legs crossed?...
*Was there water in his lungs?
*Was there GHB in his system?
*Were there injuries that were not there
before the incident?Injuries that cannot
be chalked up to bumping into objects
in the water?Rope marks?
*Was the state of body decay consistant
with being in the water the suggested
amount of time?In other words,he was
missing for over 3 months,did his found
condition reflect this or did it look like
he had been in the water only a few days.
If so,where was he for that missing time?
*Was his gym bag found?Where? Not near him,shouldn't be.Who had his keys?
*No one saw him?Heard him?Everyone
around the campus know that those
lights were out and to be replaced?
*Was the student that said that a friend
of his was approached by someone in a
van and ordered to get in the van,ever
interviewed?This happened very early
in the disappearance of Brendan Santo.
*Was a thorough autopsy performed?
<modsnip>
So,I'm not buying the assumed belief
that this big,healthy/strong young kid
somehow managed to end up dead
in a river that was not easily accessible
to get to,besides the bridges,all by himself without being approached
and without confrontation,and more.
I hope this found its way to you,and to
others also.This is me thinking out loud.
Pray for the family,and pray to God.
LowPlainsGrifter

Last edited by a moderator:
Valerie D********
No,I wasn't suggesting that that is where
Brendan Santo went in,but there is a photo showing a man stsanding right in
that spot and the caption states that they
want to close that off as well as other
areas,I would imagine.
I guess my thoughts on this whole
devestating affair,and I am not in any way,shape,or form,blaming anyone,
but there are many questions to be asked.
It sounds like he didn't have far to go,
and I don't know how it came to be that
that he ended up in the river.So,at what
point did he go in?And when? Did he
make a fatal miscalculation? How?
Or did something else happen? Was he
approached?Were his injuries/fractures
still presentable enough at his autopsy
that would show if they were consistent
with a terrible fall? Can't they tell by the
amount of water in someone's lungs,if
they were deceased before going into
the water? And for the police to put off
looking in that area for 3 months,and
then it was an investigator that found him.I don't want to say too much more
out of respect for his family.But I do wish
someone would speculate on what could
have happened.Someone who knows the
area very well.And others that may know
more than what is being released,and if
anything is being held back.
There may be a good reason if there is
an anxiety buzz in the air.
Take care
Excellent points. Seems odd to veer off the sidewalk or road when you're in a brand new place at night, even if drunk.

BetteDavisEyes*******
I know that Brendan Santo's visitation was 01/27/22, and I do not know if you are from the area where this happened, but I have not seen any followup to this story, so I am wondering if you know anything about...

I live in Rochester Hills, MI where Brandon's family lives. I don't know the family and have no information other than what's been in the media and/or discussed here. Presumably, there is an ongoing investigation into Brandon's death, but I don't know if or when additional details will be made public. There was an autopsy, the results of which will eventually become public record, including toxicology report. I expect there to be a final report from law enforcement when the case is officially closed. Media coverage will determine how much more we learn about the findings. JMO

Last edited:
I guess we'll never find out the cause of death. It's odd that the media has completely stopped covering this story since it still seems to be of interest to a lot of people. This story reminds me of the missing Japanese tourist case. After she was missing for only a week, the authorities claimed that she planned to go into the wilderness alone and become a missing person but never revealed how they came to this conclusion.
In contrast, the Petito/Laundrie story is still being covered regularly.

Last edited:
I guess we'll never find out the cause of death. It's odd that the media has completely stopped covering this story since it still seems to be of interest to a lot of people. This story reminds me of the missing Japanese tourist case. After she was missing for only a week, the authorities claimed that she planned to go into the wilderness alone and become a missing person but never revealed how they came to this conclusion.
In contrast, the Petito/Laundrie story is still being covered regularly.
It's only been two weeks since BS body recovered. Final autopsy/toxicology takes months to complete. No updates on MSU/LE site or by the family. Nothing new for MSM to report.

1/22/22 update - Reward increased to $11,000 as search continues for Grand Valley State student missing from MSU campus since October

Brendan's Legacy

Last edited:
It's only been two weeks since BS body recovered. Final autopsy/toxicology takes months to complete. No updates on MSU/LE site or by the family. Nothing new for MSM to report.

1/22/22 update - Reward increased to $11,000 as search continues for Grand Valley State student missing from MSU campus since October

Brendan's Legacy
From ND Department of Health:
(ndhealth.gov)
How long does it take to receive an autopsy report?

Each autopsy process and report turnaround time is different. Some autopsy reports may be completed and ready for release anywhere from four to eight weeks. Others may take longer than eight weeks.

In cases where an extended time period is required (more than eight weeks), several variables may be influencing the delay of the final autopsy report. This can include types of tests required and their associated processing time, complexity of the individual case and whether an ongoing police investigation is in progress.

So yes, you're right. I just wonder if it will be covered by the media since the story dropped off the radar. Maybe though.

BetteDavisEyes*******
I know that Brendan Santo's visitation was 01/27/22,and I do not know if you are from the area where this happened,but I
have not seen any followup to this story,
so I am wondering if you know anything
about:
*Was his cellphone found?And if so,was
the charge completely drained or was the
cellphone damaged?
*What took them so long to look in the
area where he was eventually found?
*What position was his body found in?
Face down,legs crossed?...
*Was there water in his lungs?
*Was there GHB in his system?
*Were there injuries that were not there
before the incident?Injuries that cannot
be chalked up to bumping into objects
in the water?Rope marks?
*Was the state of body decay consistant
with being in the water the suggested
amount of time?In other words,he was
missing for over 3 months,did his found
condition reflect this or did it look like
he had been in the water only a few days.
If so,where was he for that missing time?
*Was his gym bag found?Where? Not near him,shouldn't be.Who had his keys?
*No one saw him?Heard him?Everyone
around the campus know that those
lights were out and to be replaced?
*Was the student that said that a friend
of his was approached by someone in a
van and ordered to get in the van,ever
interviewed?This happened very early
in the disappearance of Brendan Santo.
*Was a thorough autopsy performed?
<modsnip>
I hope this found its way to you,and to
others also.This is me thinking out loud.
Pray for the family,and pray to God.
LowPlainsGrifter
A lot left unexplained by authorities. They are putting up fencing around the campus so are we to assume he fell in the river? Was pushed? We still don't know. MSU police inspector Rozman assured us that there was no foul play involved in Brendan's disappearance and death but then later likened it to other criminal investigations in a recent interview. I don't know what to make of the mixed messages and lack of details.

That interview here:
Search for Brendan Santo nears 3 months after disappearance on Michigan State campus

“Those are things that are part of the investigation that we’re aware of that we are just not necessarily discussing publicly at this time,” Rozman said. “With any criminal investigation, we have to be careful of the information that we have. If there is information that we have that we believe the public should be aware of, that would help the investigation in some way, then we will release that information.”

But then he was asked this later in the in interview:

So, is this a criminal investigation?

“That’s a difficult question,” Rozman said. “I mean, at this point, this is not a criminal investigation. Our investigative work has been reviewed by other local, state and federal agencies, and our law enforcement partners, and we still have no reason to believe that foul play is involved, at this point.”

RIP, Brendan, if your death was due to an unfortunate accident but I hope LE doesn't leave one stone unturned if foul play is involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw a FB advertisement that Click on Detroit reporter Karen Drew posted. It's an exclusive interview with Ryan Robison and set to air tomorrow at 5pm. She posted a few clips of it on FB. One clip shows Robison saying he found something in the log jam that gave him a clue. I'm not sure if he was referring to a bouquet of flowers that were right next to him? Pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Last edited:
‘Go and find this boy,’ said wife to PI who found Brendan Santo’s body | WOODTV.com

Updated: Jan 23, 2022 / 06:46 PM EST

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The private detective who found the body of Brendan Santo told News 8 it would not have happened without his wife’s insistence.

“One night she just looked at me and said, ‘If anyone can find Brendan, you can. Ryan, go and find this boy,’” recalled Ryan Robison, the private investigator whose underwater camera found Santo’s body in the Red Cedar River Thursday.

[..]

“(The logjam) was so dense and unpredictable it was a challenge to get the cameras through the debris,” Robison told News 8, adding the deadfall at its start was approximately 70 feet wide north to south and 50 feet east to west.

Robison told News 8 he was on the structure six to seven times and used an ax, 16-pound ice chisels and saws to break through the ice and debris.

He worked at night twice because he thought his lights would be more effective in the dark.

On Thursday, when the private detective saw what he suspected was Santo’s body, he first went to the Santo home in Rochester Hills to notify the family.

Robison-on-logjam.jpg

Private investigator Ryan Robison searching for Brendan Santo. (courtesy Rick Girard)
He then called 911 to report his discovery and share with police the underwater picture and exact location where it was taken.

‘Go and find this boy,’ said wife to PI who found Brendan Santo’s body | WOODTV.com

Updated: Jan 23, 2022 / 06:46 PM EST

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The private detective who found the body of Brendan Santo told News 8 it would not have happened without his wife’s insistence.

“One night she just looked at me and said, ‘If anyone can find Brendan, you can. Ryan, go and find this boy,’” recalled Ryan Robison, the private investigator whose underwater camera found Santo’s body in the Red Cedar River Thursday.

[..]

“(The logjam) was so dense and unpredictable it was a challenge to get the cameras through the debris,” Robison told News 8, adding the deadfall at its start was approximately 70 feet wide north to south and 50 feet east to west.

Robison told News 8 he was on the structure six to seven times and used an ax, 16-pound ice chisels and saws to break through the ice and debris.

He worked at night twice because he thought his lights would be more effective in the dark.

On Thursday, when the private detective saw what he suspected was Santo’s body, he first went to the Santo home in Rochester Hills to notify the family.

Robison-on-logjam.jpg

Private investigator Ryan Robison searching for Brendan Santo. (courtesy Rick Girard)
He then called 911 to report his discovery and share with police the underwater picture and exact location where it was taken.

"Friday's efforts were focused on a "complex and dangerous" point in the river where a "significant" log jam was located, Rozman said. Search partners, including arborists from MSU, cleared trees and brush to allow divers to get a boat into the river, he said.

Rozman noted that searchers had been interested in that section of the river and had talked about how to search it safely. He did not explain what specifically led them to that area on Friday."

This was a complex and dangerous point in the river. I think it's clear the PI, working privately, was able to repeatedly climb on the structure with his ax, ice chisels, and saw, and was able to break through the ice whereas LE divers could not get to the area safely. Without a clearance in the water, it was impossible for anybody to see the body including LE. I expect RR will report the same on Tuesday.

This was a complex and dangerous point in the river. I think it's clear the PI, working privately, was able to repeatedly climb on the structure with his ax, ice chisels, and saw, and was able to break through the ice whereas LE divers could not get to the area safely. Without a clearance in the water, it was impossible for anybody to see the body including LE. I expect RR will report the same on Tuesday.
Thanks. That is enlightening. Santo family needed to hire a private investigator to find their missing loved one because local, state and federal LE can't accomplish something that a single man can. LE sent divers into dangerously cold water and complicated debris once someone else made the discovery.

MSU police find body believed to be Brendan Santo in Red Cedar River

Hear from the private investigator who found Brendan Santo’s body in the Red Cedar River

2/8/22

EAST LANSING, Mich.Brendan Santo, 18, was visiting friends at Michigan State University over Halloween weekend last year when he went missing.

For two and a half months, police searched for the missing Grand Valley State University student on MSU’s campus and in the Red Cedar River. They came up empty-handed.

Watch: Extended interview with private investigator who found Brendan Santo’s body

[..]

“I really was, you know, apprehensive to take something like that on,” Robison said.

He said it was a five-hour-long talk with Santo’s dad that bonded them as fathers. The 48-year-old private investigator started his search on Jan. 6, about 100 yards downstream from the Lippert Street Trailhead. He started there because of Santo’s father.

“I just felt it was, like, a dad’s instinct,” Robison said. “He would always gravitate back here.”

For 14 bitter cold days in January, Robison spent much of his time at the river. Local 4 followed him there just last week to see how he solved the case.

[..]

Then he noticed something strange. A pumpkin.

“The one day I took out about six or eight pumpkins,” Robison said. “I looked at how long they’d been in the water. It really helped me kind of establish a timeline of anything that went in the water during that time period where it was going to end up.”

If pumpkins were collecting there after going in the water around Halloween, could Brendan Santo’s body also be there? Robison started chopping away for hours and hours, day after day -- recording himself along the way.

“And that’s when once I got one of the heavier chisels through I realized not only is it not solid, it was like eight feet deep in the middle,” Robison said.

He said that’s when he realized Brendan Santo’s body could have possibly gotten pushed under the twisted, tangled mess. Robison started drilling holes and putting cameras in the water. He was only able to see about 16 inches in front of him and the search was tedious and slow.

“I felt like when I was able to put lights clear on the bottom. -- I could see it was coming up to me versus me trying to look down,” Robison said.

Sometimes Robison took still pictures under the water and he would take them home and look. On Jan. 20 he saw an image that stopped him in his tracks.

“It was like 11 p.m. that night and I’m sitting downstairs and I’m looking through the frames,” Robison said. “I knew what Brendan was wearing that night and probably the most identifiable aspect of that would have been this, the type of shoes he wore. So I was able to see, in that one frame, the shoes that he had on.”

He knew he had to go see Santo’s father. He didn’t wait until the morning.

[..]

At one point in Robison’s investigation, he used a broom to hold his camera in place because the current was so strong. He even had to lug pounds of rock salt to keep the holes open in the ice as they would freeze overnight.

So, how was he able to find Santo’s body while all the other authorities were not? Robison said authorities were treating it as a recovery, so they would not put divers into the spot where he was searching as it was deadly. Robison treated it like a rescue, so he did things that most would never have tried and that’s because of the promise he made to Santo’s dad.

[..]

There are still questions in the case and the autopsy results have not yet been made public. Toxicology results could take weeks and authorities don’t suspect foul play -- the investigation is still active.

Watch: Extended interview with private investigator who found Brendan Santo’s body

2/8/22

EAST LANSING, Mich. – I’ll admit I was a bit nervous driving up to East Lansing to meet private investigator Ryan Robison.

Read more: Hear from the private investigator who found Brendan Santo’s body in the Red Cedar River

I was scared because of the text he sent me on the way there. It read in part, “I was thinking if you want to come on the deadfall you better have your crew grab a life jacket. I don’t want to have to pull you out of the river. The currents are crafty on both shores and unpredictable in the middle.”

I was nervous, but it hit me at that moment, how many times Robison had put his life on the line during the 14 days he searched for Brendan Santo in the Red Cedar River.

I have to tell you the 48-year-old private investigator is unlike anyone I have ever met. He is a father of four, runs his own private investigative company (The Robison Group), coaches his son’s and daughter’s baseball teams, serves as a volunteer Athletic Director at his child’s school, and in his “spare” time this past month he dedicated two weeks in the bitter cold to solve a mystery no one seemed to be able to solve: Finding out what happened to missing 18-year-old college student Brendan Santo.

Hear from the private investigator who found Brendan Santo’s body in the Red Cedar River
• Feb 8, 2022 • Brendan Santo, 18, was visiting friends at Michigan State University over Halloween weekend last year when he went missing.

Inside a private investigator's search for Brendan Santo: The promise he kept
• Feb 8, 2022 • Brendan Santo, 18, was visiting friends at Michigan State University over Halloween weekend last year when he went missing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slim Summers
Back